Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The best thing about the syringe for ETs is that there's a few seconds between injection and death so you can restart if you get crime noticed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

This short video should teach you a thing or two about button bindings and why they matter. (I trimmed the beginning as it's not super interesting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkj96oHk8sc

Enjoy ! :v:

:laffo:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

LeJackal posted:

The really broken scripting got me to almost fail The Twin. I mean, I killed him, but it wasn't even close to SA. Like, people were shooting me on the way to the boat.

Some of the early ETs are just really clumsy.

Yeah I had to keep restarting the gunrunner as simetimes he would never walk down towards the trucks to make his phone call.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just beat Season 1, was fun. Took me a while to get into this game but glad I did. Any sign of season 2?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Did they say if the broker thing was a mistake and they'll be reactivating him again in a week or is that opportunity likely gone forever?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Just beat Season 1, was fun. Took me a while to get into this game but glad I did. Any sign of season 2?

Probably in early production I would guess, they said it's happening but they'll probably have a tougher job making it because they had to shed so many people when the Square Enix stuff happened.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

thebardyspoon posted:

Did they say if the broker thing was a mistake and they'll be reactivating him again in a week or is that opportunity likely gone forever?

Probably in early production I would guess, they said it's happening but they'll probably have a tougher job making it because they had to shed so many people when the Square Enix stuff happened.

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/966682207824826368

They haven't said anything about him accidentally going up, but based on this I'm gonna say that was an accident and he's still going up as scheduled.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Reactivate The Wild Card you loving cowards

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mp5 posted:

Reactivate The Wild Card you loving cowards
Bysey should return as a cyborg ninja in a bonus mission.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Hold Up, BRB (Hokkaido): 1-10-7159983-02

TARGETS: The two guys in the bathroom as Jason Portman.
COMPLICATIONS: Time Limit (2:45), Required Exit (Mountain Path).
NOTES: This contract is easy, but not as easy as it looks.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
honestly I dislike timed contracts, I get the competetive thing but im just too bad at this game

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

anybody seeking a laugh, i suggest doing The Author, disguise as the Ghostly Fan (he's in the crypt), fix the lights then attend the photo shoot for some funny dialogue

for a second laugh, reload a save then fix the lights but leave the Ghostly Fan alone and let him attend the photoshoot. afterwards, follow him.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Goa Tse-tung posted:

honestly I dislike timed contracts, I get the competetive thing but im just too bad at this game
The timer is necessary for the gimmick in this contract to have some bite to it. If you don't care, here's what said gimmick is:

There are two VIP Patient (Portman) disguises. Getting the head bandages removed counts as a completely different disguise. One of the targets in this contract must be killed while bandaged, the other must be killed while unbandaged. Killing them both right after getting Portman's disguise will fail because you did not meet the disguise requirement for one of them.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Nakar posted:

The timer is necessary for the gimmick in this contract to have some bite to it. If you don't care, here's what said gimmick is:

There are two VIP Patient (Portman) disguises. Getting the head bandages removed counts as a completely different disguise. One of the targets in this contract must be killed while bandaged, the other must be killed while unbandaged. Killing them both right after getting Portman's disguise will fail because you did not meet the disguise requirement for one of them.

:stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nakar posted:

That's the best thing I ever heard :lol:

Aug 24, 2011

Nakar posted:

wow that's evil

i gotta find me some gimmicks, best i got is the car exit on landslide without killing the guy who has the keys

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 23, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nakar posted:

gently caress yeah, that's brutal. Well done! I've been 100%ing Hitman Absolution because there's an LP on and I hate myself, so my attempts to contract-make in the Good Hitman have been on hold.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
And for the curious, no, Helmut Kruger's makeup does not work the same way, which is a pity. If you're perceptive you can also tell the gimmick by actually clicking the targets to see the detailed requirements, but who does that?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Now that the Broker ET is (officially) out I thought I'd do what I always do, tinker around observing his route and trying to figure out where the item is/etc. When I spotted him I thought "oh, I can probably expose that wire to shock him when no wait I hit the button by mistake I'm exposing it now WAIT I'M IN THE WATER STILL NO *zzt* *dies*"

RIP world's dumbest hitman

Aug 24, 2011

i started as tech crew to explore a bit, then he sent a text message saying dahlia had the egg, so i restarted in the auction

i went into the loft area to get a bodyguard disguise and a gun, then went into dahlia's room and breaching charged the egg's safe. there's two guards in that room so i drop my breach charge and gun (from the bodyguard) to make them both leave, then take the egg (this is an illegal action)

next i went into the palace garden, bumped the target's bodyguard a couple of times, then lethal syringed the target and left via the helicopter

i really wanted to try the busey target. hopefully they bring him back, but remove his model for legal reasons. after all, he has the power of invisibility.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Now that the Broker ET is (officially) out I thought I'd do what I always do, tinker around observing his route and trying to figure out where the item is/etc. When I spotted him I thought "oh, I can probably expose that wire to shock him when no wait I hit the button by mistake I'm exposing it now WAIT I'M IN THE WATER STILL NO *zzt* *dies*"

RIP world's dumbest hitman

I wish this game had coop so we could team up for maximum hilarity.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
OK so I basically now know how all things in this game work. I kind of already did but a recent bug has given me even more understanding. Here's a fun bug someone discovered running The Broker: The pond in Paris is not actually a body of water. This is really confusing, because it looks like it, and when you dump a body into it the game considers it to be hidden. But if you knock someone into the water with the Striker or a sniper rifle kill, it won't consider the body to be hidden. It's also missing certain sound effects. The same thing doesn't happen if you knock someone into the Seine, which suggests that bodies of water are manually flagged to run a special cleanup script to both consider the body hidden (this is why nobody notices corpses in 3 feet of water in Sapienza) and eventually remove it from the game to some extent in order to cut down on instability and framerate drops (which corpses otherwise cause a lot of). The Paris pond doesn't do this.

Why is this interesting? Because it reveals something very important about the game: Interaction prompts have their own scripts and flags and not using prompts for things can screw stuff up, and perhaps more important, every single interaction in the game is hand-set by IOI. Examples:
  • Railings only exist if the people setting prompt locations say they do. They're not dynamically-generated or anything. Certain railings in Paris, Sapienza, and Bangkok simply aren't possible for Push/Dump actions even though it seems logical that they should be.
  • Fall death distances are completely arbitrary. You can dump someone ~3-5 feet on maps like Sapienza and it isn't lethal, but if you dump someone off a 1 foot drop from one of the hay bales in the Colorado demolition range it will kill them. Whether a Push/Dump action kills someone is completely dependent on whether IOI decided a certain railing/edge should be a lethal fall.
  • Similarly, hiding bodies is completely arbitrary and prompt-based. The body is hidden if the prompt routine says it is, nothing more. If one of the railings in the Paris attic were miscoded to hide bodies on dump you could throw somebody all the way to the fashion show with no consequences (probably, depending on whether the flags are set during or after the fall). I assume most boxes and lockers have copy-pasted flags as I have yet to find a box where hiding the body doesn't count for All Bodies Hidden, but in theory one could exist due to an oversight if IOI wanted it to be. The bodies would still never be discovered since NPCs can't check inside containers, but they wouldn't technically be "hidden."
  • Poisoning food/drink only counts as Consumed Poison if the actual Poison prompt says they do. This allows you to kill Novikov or a number of NPCs in Landslide with lethal poison yet fail a Poison requirement, because their glasses/plates are incorrectly failing to set the "this is poison" flag when they're set to the poisoned state. This is also probably why the prototype virus and biolab gas don't count as Poison even though they're poison kills: No prompt, so the game has no way to set the flag. Injected Poison always works because "this is a Poison Kill" is set by the Inject prompt.
  • The reason killing someone with a hay baler/kiln/incinerator doesn't count as any specific type of kill may be related either to the fact that they're not flagged with a kill method, or with the fact that hiding the body first by Dumping it causes the game to run a routine that strips most of the information and tracking from the corpse for performance reasons, meaning that grinding or burning the body isn't considered to do anything. That said it might be the former since the game does let you dump targets in them, so I'm not sure. Whether you can dump a target is probably also on a case-by-case basis.
I have no idea if this is an efficient way to build a game, but I'm 99% sure that's how this game works.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 24, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I wish this game had coop so we could team up for maximum hilarity.

I actually wasn't too broken up about failing because so many contracts are in Paris. I actually checked the ET list to see when I can reasonably expect a shot at the Bangkok and Colorado suits and one is two months out and the other half a year :stare:

I mean, I know they're probably my least two favorite maps but two ETs each seems ridiculous compared to Paris/Sapienza.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, they were heavily biased towards Paris especially because it was the map everyone was guaranteed to have. If they did them now when most people who own the game have access to all the levels, they'd probably be more evenly spread out.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So if you dump somebody in a location that hides their body, then push them somewhere else with the Striker, everybody just pretends not to see it.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I'm guessing this is also why there were so many ridiculous vault points? Like the lighting rig or entry hall railing in Paris that you used to be able to hop over or the Sapienza lab one you can still jump down? The result of manually setting all these things and occasionally letting a mistake slip through?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mondian posted:

I'm guessing this is also why there were so many ridiculous vault points? Like the lighting rig or entry hall railing in Paris that you used to be able to hop over or the Sapienza lab one you can still jump down? The result of manually setting all these things and occasionally letting a mistake slip through?
I think that's a separate thing, at least the Sapienza lab jump (my guess is that's an animation error). However, the removed vault points with unusual drops were probably mistakes. My guess is that the map designers define a barrier and then can assign prompt actions coterminous with the barrier. Each railing has certain action flags set, such as "can this be vaulted over," "if this can be vaulted over, can the player hang or will they just land," "can a body be dumped over this," "if a body is dumped over this, is it lethal," and "if a body is dumped over this, is it hidden." Animations are then set for valid actions based on the specific barrier: You dump someone over the top of a railing, but kick someone into open water. You vault and hang off the railing on the top floor of Paris, but the old bugged railing in the entry hall didn't have a hang definition so you just dropped to the floor.

What's important here is that all of this seems to be custom-defined, rather than an emergent part of the map design. The errors, where they exist, are most likely the result of laziness and copy-pasting certain properties to all barriers of a kind. That's why I suspect the one foot hay fall in Colorado kills people: Every other "kick off the edge" animation in Colorado is fatal (into the Old Orchard puddles, off the roof of the barracks or house), so they probably just grouped together every ledge that had that animation assigned and copied the same properties to it, and only went back and added the "body hidden" flag to the puddles and forgot about the hay bales being lethal.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

So the Broker:
You can do the egg crazy fast if you have unlocked the auction. Start there, run out to the attic area on the right side (according to the map orientation) of the courtyard. The guards opposite the attic door won’t see you if you hang a fast right through the door jump the ledge, shimmy to Dalia’s bathroom. Coin both guards into the bathroom, pick up their weapons and stuff them in the corner so they aren’t spotted. Hide both in the bathroom closet.

Then wait a bit. Dalia comes in, but don’t get her yet. Wait for her buddy to come in and start talking. Coin one into the bathroom, close the door and knock them out, then go knock the other out. I stuffed them both in the parlor closet but I don’t think it’s necessary. Dalia will drop the key, egg is right there.

The actual kill is hard to get SA, unless there’s a disguise that lets you mess with electric or you have more patience than me. The target walks through the puddle by the outdoor party/bar and you can electrocute him. I got caught turning the power back on to the puddle, but the guard broke line of sight when the accident happened. It cost me SA but if you were careful about that accident it would get you SA easy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The actual kill is hard to get SA, unless there’s a disguise that lets you mess with electric or you have more patience than me. The target walks through the puddle by the outdoor party/bar and you can electrocute him. I got caught turning the power back on to the puddle, but the guard broke line of sight when the accident happened. It cost me SA but if you were careful about that accident it would get you SA easy.
Tech crew disguises let you gently caress around with the extension cords, though simply shooting them is often quicker. Plus you don't have to turn the electricity off, reducing the risk of forgetting to do that and electrocuting yourself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He wanders far enough from the party that you can just poke him with a lethal syringe.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Most of the people on the patio are crowd AI, and they won't react to you messing with the switch. Unless you're turning it on right when he's standing in the puddle you shouldn't need a disguise.

The only other people who walk through the puddle (that I saw) are the photographer and the model with him, I had a close call where all three were walking towards it at once so I had to bump into the other two.

And yeah the egg is pretty easy, the safe can be opened with a lockpick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had completely forgotten to finish off the last couple of challenges in Patient Zero: Hokkaido - Lucky Shot and You Know The Number.

The former was easy, the latter was a giant clusterfuck and I had an absolute blast doing it, infecting as many people as possible and then just going on a rampage and actually getting approval for doing it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ugh, had my perfect Suit Only Silent Assassin on The Broker planned, went for it and right at the last second one of the guards in Dahlia's room walked in on me choking out the other guy in the bathroom, when I'd already killed the baldy bastard. I have no idea why he did that, I lured the first guy in by overflowing a sink but I made sure he'd turned it off and started mopping before I went for the choke.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dabir posted:

Ugh, had my perfect Suit Only Silent Assassin on The Broker planned, went for it and right at the last second one of the guards in Dahlia's room walked in on me choking out the other guy in the bathroom, when I'd already killed the baldy bastard. I have no idea why he did that, I lured the first guy in by overflowing a sink but I made sure he'd turned it off and started mopping before I went for the choke.
Sinks are notoriously fiddly and sometimes they'll still attract somebody even if a person's begun the cleanup. To be 100% safe you have to wait for them to completely finish cleaning the floor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fuckers. That's never happened to me before and I bet it'll never happen again.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I have to say; I hate Colorado, but it's impeccably well designed. It perfectly takes all the lessons you've been learning so far and turns them all upside-down. All uniforms look very much the same so it's hard to tell them apart, and no one outfit gets you everywhere. There are little wind sounds that imitate the NPC attention warning. It's a huge open space, patrols take forever, there's less places to stash people, and quest items are scattered all over, making it hard to accomplish everything successfully.

Incredibly well designed.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
It looks like you get special items from escalations sometimes. I thought that just getting 20/20 on normal difficulty in each level would give you everything. What are the best escalations to play to get the best items?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

horse mans posted:

It looks like you get special items from escalations sometimes. I thought that just getting 20/20 on normal difficulty in each level would give you everything. What are the best escalations to play to get the best items?

You get an unlock for completing any 10 escalations. Other than that, I don't remember any other unlocks off the top of my head.

You also get item unlocks at Level 10 on Professional.

Edit: vvv yep, I totally forgot about the new dlc stuff.

qbert fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 8, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The arguably best stealth sniper (4x zoom/Marksman/Suppressed/Subsonic) in the game is from The Cheveyo Calibration, the 3-stage escalation in nighttime Marrakesh.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

horse mans posted:

I wish there was a convenient way to see all potential unlocks and their conditions for unlocking. Like put them on the inventory page and grey them out until you unlocked them for example. It's a massive pain in the rear end to navigate between escalations/challenges/pro mode/level mastery to find stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

horse mans posted:

Quoting myself from earlier itt:

shut up blegum posted:

The Corky Commotion (in Paris) gives you the clown bat, the Dexter Discordance (in Hokkaido) gives you the striker pistol and I forgot what the third reward was so I have no idea which escalation it is.

EDIT: after googling around I found out it's The Cheveyo Calibration (Marrakesh by night) and it gives you a sniper rifle.