Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So it looks like Tochinoshin's injured. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Well crap, sucks for Tochinoshin.

Y/O: Takayasu/Goeido/Kakuryu
S/K: Ichinojo/Mitakeumi/Chiyotairyu
M1-5: Endo/Takarafuji/Kotoshogiku
M6-10: Ryuden/Kaisei/Okinoumi
M11+: Ikioi/Sokokurai/Aoiyama

edit: I have no changes for my Y/O draft picks :toot:

Rigel fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 9, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If anyone is curious, the kid from Texas Wakaichiro was promoted back up to Sandanme at East 89. We'll see if he can stick around in the division this time.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

They officially announced today that Kisenosato will not compete in this tournament.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So basically he has to compete next tournament or retire, right?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Surely Kisenosato gets special dispensation as the first Japanese Yokozuna in years to take as many off as he likes if he can come back fit

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I mean this will be his sixth tournament in a row of pulling out at some point due to injury. That's a whole year's worth of basho. I'm not sure what the precedent is for that but it does seem weird as hell to me that he hasn't been pressured to quit by now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'd be stunned if he survives the year as yokozuna.

I'm gonna run the draft tomorrow, so it's the last shot to submit a draft, and also to edit your submissions based on kyujo announced so far. Get 'em in by midnight PST!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Takanohana Koji went 0-0-15 7 times in a row, came back and got a 12-3 Jun-yusho, then went kyujo the next two and retired.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there going to be a drive to rush-promote someone to Yoko if he has to retire? I don't know what the zeitgeist is around not having a full suite of Yokozuna, or whether it's completely normal to have one or none or whatever.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Is there going to be a drive to rush-promote someone to Yoko if he has to retire? I don't know what the zeitgeist is around not having a full suite of Yokozuna, or whether it's completely normal to have one or none or whatever.

Nah. 3 is historically high (4 was very high), and 0-1 are historically low. 2 is normal. As Yokozuna are forced to retire, then the natural obstacle towards achieving the rank eases and eventually someone makes it. Conversely, if we have several wrestlers at the rank who are all effective, then someone who might have made it in another era gets held down to Ozeki. If Hakuho and Kakuryu both get hit by a bus, then I'd think both Takayasu and Goeido would have a good chance to get the rope in 2018, but as it is they both still have to work for it.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 8, 2018

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I know Hakuho has said he's aiming to compete in the Olympics - has anything been said about how qualification for Olympic sumo will work? It's going to be complicated to manage all the professionals as well as amateurs from outside Japan, so presumably some Japanese and Mongolian rikishi aren't going to get a shot.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Sumo isn't an Olympic sport, I assume he means that he wants to still be active in 2020.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

I know Hakuho has said he's aiming to compete in the Olympics - has anything been said about how qualification for Olympic sumo will work? It's going to be complicated to manage all the professionals as well as amateurs from outside Japan, so presumably some Japanese and Mongolian rikishi aren't going to get a shot.

Sumo is not, and will not be an olympic sport in 2020.

What he means is that he wants to take part in the opening ceremony. It was going to be a problem if there was a popular japanese yokozuna while Hakuho was hypothetically on an obvious physical decline, but with Kisenosato's career dying, that has changed, and Hakuho probably just need to keep on trucking for 2 more years. Japan has made it clear that they want to showcase sumo, not as a potential olympic sport, but just to raise its profile in general as a Japanese cultural sport heritage thing, so obviously whoever is the man at the yokozuna rank is going to be highlighted.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

Sumo is not, and will not be an olympic sport in 2020.

What he means is that he wants to take part in the opening ceremony. It was going to be a problem if there was a popular japanese yokozuna while Hakuho was hypothetically on an obvious physical decline, but with Kisenosato's career dying, that has changed, and Hakuho probably just need to keep on trucking for 2 more years. Japan has made it clear that they want to showcase sumo, not as a potential olympic sport, but just to raise its profile in general as a Japanese cultural sport heritage thing, so obviously whoever is the man at the yokozuna rank is going to be highlighted.

Yup - opening ceremony, torch-bearing, general media kind of stuff. Although that would be hilarious to see him represent Mongolia in the Tokyo Olympics and make quick work of the gold medal.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Ah I thought they had managed to get it added, looks like I misremembered. I think they put it forward as a candidate to be added though

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

Ah I thought they had managed to get it added, looks like I misremembered. I think they put it forward as a candidate to be added though

No, they didn't. I think even Japan isn't crazy enough to believe sumo had a chance to be included into the program. You might be thinking of karate, it was finally accepted into the program for 2020 after many, many failed attempts over the years.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-12/tug-of-war-sumo-wrestling-and-korfball-among-sports-in-runni/6543308

This story is probably what I misremembered :)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kakuryu has decided to enter the tournament and will compete on day 1. He says he personally feels he is at 80%. Hakuho says he needs another day to think about it and will announce his decision tomorrow.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 9, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hakuho is kyujo. We will have only one Yokozuna on Day 1.

edit: there were some lingering doubts about Takanoiwa, but he has decided to enter the tournament and will compete on day 1 down in Juryo. He probably wants to see if there's any chance that he can win enough to stay in the salaried ranks.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 9, 2018

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I am so bummed about Kisenosato. Him getting to yokozuna and winning that first tournament was incredible, but goddamn that injury.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I -knew- that when whoever it was landed hard on Kisenosato's injured shoulder in the basho after he injured it that it wasn't going to turn out well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Here are my picks, sorry they're late.

Y/O: Takayasu/Goeido/Kakuryu
S/K: Ichinojo/Mitakeumi/Chiyotairyu
M1-5: Endo/Takakeisho/Tamawashi
M6-10: Hokutofuji/Abi/Kaisei
M11-17: Aoiyama/Asanoyama/Tochiozan

Drafting tomorrow! I'll post about how I'm allocating y/o and s/k once I figure it out. Probably fairly generously.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I edited my previous post but here are my updated picks based on the injury reports, just in case :

Y/O: Takayasu/Kakuryuu/Goeido
S/K: Mitakeumi/Chiyotairyu/Ichinojo
M1-5: Takarafuji/Shohozan/Tamawashi
M6-10: Yoshikaze/Okinoumi/Chiyonokuni
M11+: Kotoyuki/Sokokurai/Tochiozan

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Holy cow! I was expecting to find out he was still in a coma or dead, but this is crazy. How the hell can you still be thinking about wrestling when you barely survived heart failure?

If you weren't aware of this story, Akebono was put into a medical coma when he had these issues shortly after a pro wrestling match. This was back in April of 2017, and there had been ZERO updates since then that most of us were aware of.

Kintamayama posted:

Ex Yokozuna Akebono, the first foreign Yokozuna, is undergoing rehabilitation in a hospital. He has been hospitalized since April and at some point his life was in danger and could not get out of bed. Rehabilitation started in October and he now can move his wheelchair on his own for ten meters (it takes him thirty seconds), but still has a long way to go on the road to full recovery. What's driving him is his desire to enter the ring again. Surrounded by two physiotherapists, his wife and his two boys (14 and 17), he made his way to the hospital recreation room for an interview. "I can't enter the ring and that doesn't let me sleep at night..I've got to get back to work, to Pro-wrestling!" he said. No talk of retiring. His speech is not as smooth as in the past, but he spoke slowly and clearly. On April 12th after a wrestling match he was hospitalized after feeling bad for a few days. He suffered from acute heart failure and also caught another infection and his situation was grave, losing consciousness at some point. The situation was so severe that the family was ready for the worst, but he somehow got over it. He now weighs 150 kilos, down from around 210.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If thinking about wrestling in the future is what he needs to motivate his recovery, I'm all for it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If Hakuho and/or Kisenosato looked strong and ready to go, I bet Kakuryu would have sat out. However, if he is the only yokozuna and if he really thinks he's at 80%, then there's also a very large financial incentive to enter since he'd be guaranteed the final match every day and all those sweet, sweet envelopes of cash for throwing around overmatched rank and filers the first week. If he's banged up and out of it after 8 days, he can always go kyujo later when the matches get tougher and more dangerous.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

I edited my original post, but here are my updated picks just in case:

Y/O: Takayasu / Kakuryu /Goeido
S/K: Ichinojo / Tochinoshin / Mitakeumi
M1-5: Takakeisho / Tamawashi / Chiyomaru
M6-10: Yoshikaze / Hokutofuji / Daiesho
M11+: Tochiozan / Ikioi / Ishiura

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

If thinking about wrestling in the future is what he needs to motivate his recovery, I'm all for it.

Also it sounds crazy to us, but training and performing, whether it’s in the sumo or pro wrestling ring has been the only life he’s known for the past 30 years. Lots of people when they go through something like that will want to beat whatever it is they have and go back to their normal life. It’s just that his idea of a normal life was pretty crazy to begin with.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Also it sounds crazy to us, but training and performing, whether it’s in the sumo or pro wrestling ring has been the only life he’s known for the past 30 years. Lots of people when they go through something like that will want to beat whatever it is they have and go back to their normal life. It’s just that his idea of a normal life was pretty crazy to begin with.

Basically the plot of The Wrestler. :v:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yeah for me it was being able to play guitar and drums again after I smashed the ball of my shoulder into powder. Having a goal is a really powerful motivator to get through painful and tedious physiotherapy

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I was really looking forward to Osunaarashi healing and returning to the higher ranks 😞

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Quantrill posted:

I was really looking forward to Osunaarashi healing and returning to the higher ranks 😞

Well that was a bummer. Would also have liked to see him come back up the ranks.

As it wasn't explicitly said in the thread: the kyokai decided on his driving accident case, told him that he should retire, and obviously he did.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Poor Osunaarashi :(

I'll have the draft ready in an hour or so.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, did the draft. The allocations were 1/2 of league (5 people) per Y/O, 1/3 of league (3 people) per S/K, and 1/4 of league (2 people) per maegashira. Tochinoshin will appear on day 1, otherwise I would have done 1/2 of the league for S/K also. The system still works!

The following rikishi are unavailable for trading:

Takayasu
Mitakeumi
Ichinojo
Endo
Tamawashi
Takarafuji
Takakeisho
Shodai
Kaisei
Hokutofuji
Abi
Yoshikaze
Ryuden
Tochiozan
Asanoyama
Ikioi
Aoiyama

The current wire is:

Kenning
rigel
Kikkoman
Fluffdaddy
Fryhtaning
Martytoof
Vargatron
Kanthulu
sivad
anakha
ratmosphere

anakha

Y/O: Goeido
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-5: Takarafuji
M6-10: Abi
M11+: Daishomaru

Fluffdaddy

Y/O Takayasu
S/K Ichinojo
M1-5: Shodai
M6-10: Hokutofuji
M11: Ikioi

Fryhtaning

Y/O: Takayasu
M1-5: Takakeisho
M6-10: Hokutofuji
M11+: Aoiyama

Kanthulu

Y/O:Goeido
S/K: Tochinoshin
M1-5: Shohozan
M6-10: Kaisei
M11+: Tochiozan

Kenning

S/K: Chiyotairyu
M1-5: Endo
M6-10: Kaisei
M11-17: Aoiyama

Kikkoman

M1-5: Takarafuji
M6-10: Yoshikaze
M11+: Kotoyuki

Martytoof

Y/O: Kakuryu
M1-5: Tamawashi
M6-10: Ryuden
M11+: Ishiura

ratmosphere

S/K: Ichinojo
M1-5: Tamawashi
M6-10: Abi
M11-17: Asanoyama

Rigel

M1-5: Endo
M6-10: Ryuden
M11+: Ikioi

sivad

Y/O: Kakuryu
S/K: Ichinojo
M1-5: Takakeisho
M6-10: Yoshikaze
M11+: Tochiozan

Vargatron

S/K: Tochinoshin
M1-5: Shodai
M6-10: Daiesho
M11+: Asanoyama

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

First tournament where I don’t have my man Takayasu. I feel empty inside.

You know what will help fill that spiritual hole? Two weeks of Sumo :clint:

E: Someone was streaming day one on YouTube but it was blocked in Canada by IOC for some reason? :confused:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It is live on NHK now. https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Martytoof posted:

First tournament where I don’t have my man Takayasu. I feel empty inside.

You know what will help fill that spiritual hole? Two weeks of Sumo :clint:

E: Someone was streaming day one on YouTube but it was blocked in Canada by IOC for some reason? :confused:

There was paraolympic coverage before sumo, and he was streaming that rather than waiting for sumo to come on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ended up finding his twitch stream. drat 3am start though, I fell asleep after first bout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I will never stop marveling at Tochinoshin's lower body build. Takarafuji is as lean and buff as a sumo wrestler comes, and Tochinoshin's lower half absolutely dwarfs Takarafuji's.