Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

twodot posted:

I'm not the one who knows for sure, r.y.f.s.o. is the one making those assertions. If you don't like them reply to them. edit: Thus my use of the word "if".
no, that would be you. r.y.f.s.o. said they have worked. he didn't say 'in america', you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Gun control cannot fail. It can only be failed.

Since we have over a hundred studies that tell us gun control is effective if done right, and ineffective if done badly, then yes this statement is literally 100% true.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

twodot posted:

This is a little weird to me, I'm not even disagreeing, I just don't understand how you could make these observations and then think that anything could even happen in this thread. What do you imagine a thing happening in this thread looks like? Like if we for sure know that other countries gun control systems would work in America, and we for sure know enacting those systems is untenable in America, what's left to talk about other than pedantry?

Lots of policies and social movements were untenable until they weren't - so I think it can become a thing even if it isn't, and wasn't, practical or possible.

We have a better chance of getting somewhere if we address the fundamental differences in philosophy instead of getting lost in the statistical weeds.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

VitalSigns posted:

Since we have over a hundred studies that tell us gun control is effective if done right, and ineffective if done badly, then yes this statement is literally 100% true.
I am glad we agree that passing stupid gun control laws doesn't work. When can I expect to see your full throated opposition to the stupid laws currently in place?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I am glad we agree that passing stupid gun control laws doesn't work. When can I expect to see your full throated opposition to the stupid laws currently in place?

I wholeheartedly support replacing them with effective gun control laws

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

I wholeheartedly support replacing them with effective gun control laws
Me too.

Finally we are bridging the ideological divide.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
  • Bump Stocks modify a firearm from semiautomatic to fully automatic.
  • A clip and a magazine are the same thing.
  • The AR is AR-15 stands for Assault Rifle.
  • The AR-15 is a high powered rifle.
  • NRA members absolutely definitely practice what they preach w/r/t gun safety.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, you have to have a 3 month background check to buy AMMO!

Ammo is heavily regulated in Norway, but not that regulated. You need a license and identification to buy ammo, you don't need to wait three months.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Elizabethan Error posted:

no, that would be you. r.y.f.s.o. said they have worked. he didn't say 'in america', you did.
I literally can't possibly care if you think I'm misinterpreting r.y.f.s.o.'s posts, they're active in the thread, they can correct me if they like.

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Lots of policies and social movements were untenable until they weren't - so I think it can become a thing even if it isn't, and wasn't, practical or possible.
Totally agree, I'm asking what you expect to "happen" in a thread on the Internet today given the current conditions you are observing today.

quote:

We have a better chance of getting somewhere if we address the fundamental differences in philosophy instead of getting lost in the statistical weeds.
Like how could this work? The whole purpose of a difference in philosophy is that they're not reconcilable. Is the thread you want:
A: "I think further gun control regulations are net beneficial due to my value system."
B: "I disagree, my value system says further gun control regulations are not net beneficial"
A: "Well my value system is better so you should adopt mine."
B: "Well my value system is better so you should adopt mine."

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Alhazred posted:

Ammo is heavily regulated in Norway, but not that regulated. You need a license and identification to buy ammo, you don't need to wait three months.

even if you did... so what? I buy any number of commodities to support my desired lifestyle months in advance. Try getting firewood around here in the middle of winter.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

even if you did... so what? I buy any number of commodities to support my desired lifestyle months in advance. Try getting firewood around here in the middle of winter.
Some goons would probably need a forklift to move 3 months worth of ammo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

Like how could this work? The whole purpose of a difference in philosophy is that they're not reconcilable. Is the thread you want:
A: "I think further gun control regulations are net beneficial due to my value system."
B: "I disagree, my value system says further gun control regulations are not net beneficial"

Well you still have people arguing against gun control within the confines of value system A ("actually, gun control doesn't reduce homicides", "actually, shooting at kids and missing them isn't a problem for kids") and they are factually wrong so there's that to discuss.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

twodot posted:

That's pretty much this thread in a nutshell.

With a side of:

A: "You're a babykilling monster for not sharing my value system on this topic."

B: "No compromise, then. Come and take them."

A: "Why won't these people listen to -reason-?!?"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

"No compromise, then. Come and take them."

Agreed, compromise is impossible because the compromises gun nuts demand make gun control ineffective, and they immediately use that ineffectiveness to lie about gun control and also to cry that they're being persecuted with laws that don't work but are passed anyway because everyone hates them for no reason.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

twodot posted:

I literally can't possibly care if you think I'm misinterpreting r.y.f.s.o.'s posts, they're active in the thread, they can correct me if they like.
I didn't quote his posts, stop with the lame deflection

Liquid Communism posted:

With a side of:

A: "You're a babykilling monster for not sharing my value system on this topic."

you forgot "B: blah blah bad faith argument blah blah lol who cares about dead kids i liek my shootyguns blah blah"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twodot posted:

One of these value systems leads to increased actual deaths in the actual real world, that's why it's not just a loving philosophy debate.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Pro-Gun arguments come in the form of:

- Deification of the countries founders
- Appeals to objective rights, god-given "freedoms"
- Appeals to the right of any and all self defense measures if they feel threatened

and other forms of nebulous, unconvincing bullshit.

It's a difference of values, and that one is hard to argue away rationally.

Pro-Gun folks value their toys and masturbatory self defense fantasies more than the nation's ability to prevent mass shootings and in general reduce gun deaths.

They're just not very honest about it, so you'll get lost in pedantry, deflection and a bunch of attempts to stifle meaningful discourse until we all get distracted enough so that nothing happens.

This feels a bit disingenuous. There are definitely some people who see right to hunting and right to self defense as the end all to gun control. However, you are leaving out probably the one compelling argument for it being a right (aka probably the founder's actual intention) that armed revolution is the final protection against tyranny. Of course, your typical NRA member ain't about to sign up for Marxist revolt so :shrug:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Some goons would probably need a forklift to move 3 months worth of ammo.

I think the idea is if you're queuing a stockpile over the wait it'll raise some flags.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

WampaLord posted:

One of these value systems leads to increased actual deaths in the actual real world, that's why it's not just a loving philosophy debate.
I totally agree, I'm replying to a poster that appears to want a philosophy debate, and I'm asking what in the world that's supposed to look like.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

Switzerland, you do.

Liquid Communism posted:

With a side of:

A: "We want a system of licenses and registration with mental health checks and proper background checks!"

B:"But what about fighting tyranny, my gubamint is gonna take my guns RA RA COME AND TAKE EM!"

Yeah, you guys are totally the rational bunch.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

twodot posted:

I totally agree, I'm replying to a poster that appears to want a philosophy debate, and I'm asking what in the world that's supposed to look like.

Philosophy debates are a thing that happen... You might say all of Western reason is based around philosophical debate.

The goal would be to work out what our underlying axioms are and find where there may be a contradiction.

MixMastaTJ fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 8, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

MixMastaTJ posted:

The goal would be to work out what our underlying axioms are
In this thread? I think it's pretty clear the underlying axiom is "Everyone who disagrees with me is evil."

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

MixMastaTJ posted:

Philosophy debates are thing that happen... You might say all of Western reason is based around philosophical debate.

The goal would be to work out what our underlying axioms are and find where there may be contradiction.
Everyone knows where the contradiction is everyone who wants gun control values gun control over people buying guns and everyone who doesn't want gun control doesn't value gun control over people buying guns. If your response to that is "Well those people are monsters" then fine whatever, but I don't see any philosophical conversation to be had.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rent-A-Cop posted:

In this thread? I think it's pretty clear the underlying axiom is "Everyone who disagrees with me is evil."

Well, they ARE condoning murder.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Well, they ARE condoning murder.
Hey, sometimes you just gotta murder ya know?

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

twodot posted:

Everyone knows where the contradiction is everyone who wants gun control values gun control over people buying guns and everyone who doesn't want gun control doesn't value gun control over people buying guns. If your response to that is "Well those people are monsters" then fine whatever, but I don't see any philosophical conversation to be had.

"Gun control > buying guns" and "buying guns > gun control" are both pretty lovely axioms.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

MixMastaTJ posted:

"Gun control > buying guns" and "buying guns > gun control" are both pretty lovely axioms.
I mean value systems are complicated but come to simple conclusions, what's to do about it?

Feel free to prove me wrong. I'm not claiming to be an oracle of all philosophical discussion, I just don't see any philosophy to discuss here, and I'm asking the people who think there is to show me what they think it looks like. Anything I can imagine will reduce down to conflicting value systems.
edit:
One time I tried to have a philosophical discussion in a gun debate by arguing we need a rigorous argument against anti-gun control people that are deontologists, but the whole thread was just like "nope, deontologists are just monsters, just call them monsters".

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 8, 2018

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's "my fun toys/objects of violent fantasy" vs "less dead people", and weirdly the people who prefer the first idea are bothered when others act like they're anything less than morally pristine.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

No, this isn't right, people can still buy guns in countries with effective gun control. And gun control isn't an end in itself it's a means to prevent murders.

Everyone who doesn't want gun control values not being minorly inconvenienced and also resisting transparent to them culture-war issues like registration over people being murdered. But they won't say that hence pages of bad faith arguments like "it doesn't work anyway" or "drivebys at schools aren't bad look this time no one even got hit" or "when is a school shooting not a school shooting, whenever I can find an excuse to make the number look smaller" and also the argument you're making right now.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 8, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Gun control is impossible because the NRA makes gun control advocates vote for stupid legislation. We've settled this guys. Pack it in. Good game everyone.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Everyone who wants a gun is limited to 25 rounds of ammunition. Period. If you want to buy more, you have to turn in an equal number of shell casings that are serialized and registered to you to buy it.

Also all gun records should be digitized and electronically searchable (spoiler alert, they aren't right now).

Or we could just, you know, ban guns.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I like the LC, R-a-C tag team of "why won't you be reasonable and compromise" and "it's your fault you compromised, now we will be unreasonable forever"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Liquid Communism posted:

With a side of:

i'm sure it has nothing to do with asking people what kind of gun control they'd find acceptable and being told "none, dont write new laws"

but fine i'll bite, what would you like to see, propose some poo poo

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

twodot posted:

I mean value systems are complicated but come to simple conclusions, what's to do about it?

Feel free to prove me wrong. I'm not claiming to be an oracle of all philosophical discussion, I just don't see any philosophy to discuss here, and I'm asking the people who think there is to show me what they think it looks like. Anything I can imagine will reduce down to conflicting value systems.

Like if you hold such a specific principal as an axiom you probably haven't given a lot of thought to your actual core beliefs. The U.S. Constitution was written around the core axioms that "Every person is entitled to the right of life and liberty." Now, logically your right to life implies that you have the right to not be shot. But right to liberty implies you should be able to own a piece of metal that shoots things.

So at what point is the risk to right of life more valuable than another's liberty? Or, more specifically, is it reasonable to encroach on liberty if it poses significant enough risk to lives? Can something so dangerous even be considered an implicit liberty?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Instant Sunrise posted:

Everyone who wants a gun is limited to 25 rounds of ammunition. Period. If you want to buy more, you have to turn in an equal number of shell casings that are serialized and registered to you to buy it.

Also all gun records should be digitized and electronically searchable (spoiler alert, they aren't right now).

Or we could just, you know, ban guns.

no, you get one bullet at a time, better get real good at aiming

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The statistical analyses show that the vast majority of gun legislation has reduced the homicide and suicide rates whereas only a few laws have been shown to be ineffective

One side points to that fact and says "we should enact some of these more effective forms of legislation nationwide"

The other side chooses to only talk about the few laws that were ineffective and says "gun control can never work"

Which side is more accurately describing reality?

That's a rhetorical question, the anti-gun control people are ridiculous

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Stupid laws aren't compromise. Gun control proponents love dumb laws and do them on purpose.

There is no other explanation for the continued demands for another AWB, or something like CA's .50 ban.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I like the LC, R-a-C tag team of "why won't you be reasonable and compromise" and "it's your fault you compromised, now we will be unreasonable forever"

It's super effective!

at showing the catch 22 that gun control will always face because the pro-gun side all have the mentality of "don't give an inch"

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

MixMastaTJ posted:

Like if you hold such a specific principal as an axiom you probably haven't given a lot of thought to your actual core beliefs. The U.S. Constitution was written around the core axioms that "Every person is entitled to the right of life and liberty." Now, logically your right to life implies that you have the right to not be shot. But right to liberty implies you should be able to own a piece of metal that shoots things.

So at what point is the risk to right of life more valuable than another's liberty?
Ok but answering the question of "when is something more valuable than another thing" is a thing we resolve by employing value systems, so I don't see how this gets us out of the value system trap.

quote:

Or, more specifically, is it reasonable to encroach on liberty if it poses significant enough risk to lives? Can something so dangerous even be considered an implicit liberty?
Obviously, that is what the word "enough" means. Obviously, that's what the word "can" means.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Stupid laws aren't compromise. Gun control proponents love dumb laws and do them on purpose.

There is no other explanation for the continued demands for another AWB, or something like CA's .50 ban.

They are misguided attempts to compromise with gun nuts in the foolish hope that leaving some of their guns alone will be okay, this is dumb as you demonstrate, if you give in to their demands and half-rear end it they will just cry that the half-rear end laws don't work and they're so oppressed blah blah blah.

If you hate dumb laws then campaign for Norway style laws that work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

twodot posted:

Ok but answering the question of "when is something more valuable than another thing" is a thing we resolve by employing value systems, so I don't see how this gets us out of the value system trap.

Well, it certainly doesn't get us out of the "value systems" trap if your response to "what are your values?" Is "this is a value system trap" rather than just defining those values.

• Locked thread