Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

until dawn and the evil within and dying light all take me a second to remember which one is which

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Evil Within is easy to remember because its just a Resident Evil pun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xenoblade 2 dub is cool (Rex's VA's weak lungs aside), gently caress the haters. I wish more games would play with regional accents in dubs. I wouldn't really say it has a lot of half-baked stuff mechanically, but it does have a lot of annoyances like terrible menus and UI. The issues with gacha blades would also have been pretty easy to mostly solve, which they seem to be doing OK on in updates.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Playing the game post updates I can't imagine having to jump to a menu to load the map whenever I am wondering around in a city. Being able to drop it right over the action with a stick click is nice.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I played a lot of Xenoblade 1 but it was way too long and some stuff in the minimap was way too small. Loved the dubbing, the characters, the models changing with your equipment, I thought the gameplay was pretty dynamic - for a JRPG - and what I saw of the story but I'm really bad at keeping up with long games, even if they're great.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

I kind of like the gacha in XB2 honestly, it's meant to make everyone's playthrough a little unique. But yeah, it kind of sucks if you don't get ones with skills you like or ones you see in other screenshots that you like the look of.

I think they could've accomplished this very easily without gacha mechanics

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Playing the game post updates I can't imagine having to jump to a menu to load the map whenever I am wondering around in a city. Being able to drop it right over the action with a stick click is nice.

You could always do that but it was too opaque to see the game and therefore pretty useless.

I beat xb2 pre patch

It was...mediocre

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Raxivace posted:

https://twitter.com/KayinAmoh/status/927206724452470784

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raxivace posted:

:aaa:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chumbler posted:

Xenoblade 2 dub is cool (Rex's VA's weak lungs aside), gently caress the haters. I wish more games would play with regional accents in dubs

the problem's not the accents but the deliveries and the long periods of dead air between lines

it kind of reminds me of the star ocean games

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

Where are people at with the original Xenoblade because people seemed kind of over it by the time the 3DS port was announced

It's still very good, but it has a lot of issues. The combat is pretty clunky and the level scaling is stupid at best. There are too many side quests that are just dumb MMO style fillers, and the quest system is annoying with the combination of having to track down NPCs, along with the terrible draw distance, and there being quite a lot of quests that close based on story progression. Also the Colony 6 stuff is pretty awful to try and do in general but it's all optional anyway. There's also a few areas of the game that just kind of suck because they are overly large and dull and tedious to get around.

The combat isn't very engaging the vast majority of the time which is a big issue, so it's mainly the characters, story, setting, and exploration that carries it.

Just gimme a Switch port of XC1 with improved combat mechancs/controls and quest tracker please.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xb2's combat makes 1 look like dog poo poo

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah absolutely. Even if you fixed the major issues with XC1's combat, it'd still be pretty dull at best I think. XC2 is actually really fun to play and mess around with.

I'd love to have XC1 with some extra layers of mechanics to make it more engaging. And have Sharla be considerably more useful.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Oxxidation posted:

the problem's not the accents but the deliveries and the long periods of dead air between lines

it kind of reminds me of the star ocean games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oKk0uUNryM&t=33s

e: That was about... 50 points!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Celeste Chapter 5 is hot rear end and I feel like 1/3rd of my 120 deaths were from the "haha what if the stage was dark hope you have perfect reflexes" gimmick.

Games really good with it's pace but that was just a slaughter on it.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

That's a pretty shallow read on the context of the original Japanese using SOLDIER. It's to express that Shinra is a japanese company being Westernized. Look at the entire wutai subplot, the conflict between the westernized Shinra and the traditionally Japanese people of Wutai is the entire conflict there. FF7 was made in the late 90s, those were pretty salient concerns for Japanese people. As a megacorp, Shinra has no culture. It's obviously Japanese in origin, just due to the name, but a ton of its executives have non-Japanese names, the heir included, and they use a ton of western terms for things. SOLDIER, for instance. Tons of real life Japanese corporations use western terms for both their products and for parts of their internal teams, that's what they're leaning into with the name SOLDIER.

Translating SOLDIER to SHOGUN would be the exact opposite of that - it'd change them into a villainous, heavily Japanese organization opposed by the heroic Americans, and Yuffie I Guess.

Again this isn't an argument against you saying SHOGUN would be a somehow accurate translation, I'm saying it wouldn't be a good adaptation/rewrite either.

I don't get where you're getting "Shinra is a japanese company being Westernized" from. In-game Shinra is a post-national corporation, was historically a multinational corporation, and didn't have a relatioinship with the game's Japan equivalent until they decided to take them over. It may be important to separate the things that we perceive as Japanese but the developers perceive as neutral from the things the developers intended to be seen as Japanese.

But yeah the point remains that there's no perfect localization because English has no equivalent historical national language vs modern international language split. I'd go with something like ELITE, GRENADIER, SOLDAT, or KNIGHT which reinforces other aspects of the story.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Celeste Chapter 5 is hot rear end and I feel like 1/3rd of my 120 deaths were from the "haha what if the stage was dark hope you have perfect reflexes" gimmick.

I hated this one short part in the hotel chapter. for some reason that long tube up with the 4 enemies going back and forth boiled my piss, as did the room right after. loving hell nothing was that hard up to that point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dewgy posted:

Until Dawn is really fun, but you may end up hating everyone in it. Or getting them all killed.

It loses something on replays but really was a great PS+ game.

There was a review who said Until Dawn is more fun if you play it as a movie director controlling actors trying to get them killed at the right dramatic moment as opposed to trying to identify with them and save everybody, and I think that's really interesting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/971430295919648768

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Chapter 6 is insane it saved my opinion of the game. Let me know what you think when you clear it cool guy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Play Until Dawn with like seven friends so you each control a different character and roast anyone who dies

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Chapter 5 was one of my favorite parts of Celeste :shobon: I dug the atmosphere big time

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Real hurthling! posted:

Chapter 6 is insane it saved my opinion of the game. Let me know what you think when you clear it cool guy

Chapter 6 and its B and C sides are probably some of the best level design in the whole game. I adore that chapter.

Runner up goes to the very final C side, which i found to be a blast

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Where are people at with the original Xenoblade because people seemed kind of over it by the time the 3DS port was announced

I got super bored with it after lik 10 hours when it first came out but i adored 2 and played it for like 100 hours and did postgame stuff.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

wario ware 3ds

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

bowser's inside story remake

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oddium posted:

bowser's inside story remake

I'm glad even Nintendo knows what the good ones were.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

oddium posted:

wario ware 3ds

Please stop making I want to play on the 3ds

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

luigi's mansion 3ds remake

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

rick dlc for the new kirby

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

okami port again hahahaha

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

wreck it ralph but it's travis touchdown

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Solaire amiibo!!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

wario ware 3ds

compilation of minigames, gently caress this, gently caress nintendo, worst company

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What should I buy with the money I make off of scalping Solaire Amiibos to idiots

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

captain toad port for switch with oddessyy levels

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Taintrunner posted:

compilation of minigames, gently caress this, gently caress nintendo, worst company
If it's a collection of Twisted and Touched that's still good because they deserve rereleases.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

What should I buy with the money I make off of scalping Solaire Amiibos to idiots

Captain Toad, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

:shittydog:

• Locked thread