Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

is the rostock max still the best delta printer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Is there really no 3rd party adapter to connect the xbox one kinect to a pc besides for an out of print adapter that goes for like $200? Friend gave me a kinect to use as a scanner, but gently caress if i can figure out how to get this thing connected for less than the cost of just buying an older model instead.

You can modify the Kinect itself if you're handy with a soldering iron. Need a 12v power supply and a USB cable, doesn't look too hard.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
After running into a small issue (thermistor settings where completely wrong, and thus the temps where nowhere near reality) Finally got to do my first (albeit small) print on the Duet..

Biggest difference by far is the noise. My Rostock is SOOOO much quieter now! Seriously I thought something was wrong! It moves with barely any stepper noise at all now. The heat break fan on the head is now the loudest part on the printer. The Rostock has always been a fairly noisy machine, I was considering some rubber mounts for the steppers to quiet it down, but don't need them now!

In general it seems to move so much more fluid now. Being able to control the printer from anywhere is nice. The interface does resize itself appropriately on smaller screens.

I had to change my workflow a bit. I have been using RepetierHost with the printer connected to USB. So instead I downloaded the standalone version of Slic3r. It will copy your settings from the Repetier included Slic3r. And it also has support for uploading directly to Duet. So workflow is now load part into Slic3r, change settings to suit, click Send To Printer button. The newly uploaded GCode file will appear on the Duet interface. Just select it for printing. Alternatively, Slic3r can be set to make the printer start the job soon as it is uploaded.

I am happy with the upgrade so far. I may not spring for the PanelDue. I am considering just mounting a small 7" cheapo tablet to the front of the printer instead.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I got the dampers straight away when I built mine, so mine has always been quiet.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Apparently I suck at slicing.

or the monoprice 3d delta community sucks at consolidating information(wiki, Reddit, fb!). I tried cura 3.0 and the profile off the wiki, but ended up with wispy prints, I’m told this is due to the filament not retracting enough before making large x/y movements.

Is there a guide out there for how to make good files for printing stuff off thingiverse?

The 3d printer makes a god awful amount of noise compared to the auto(cat) print that came on the SD card.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

politicorific posted:

or the monoprice 3d delta community sucks at consolidating information(wiki, Reddit, fb!). I tried cura 3.0 and the profile off the wiki, but ended up with wispy prints, I’m told this is due to the filament not retracting enough before making large x/y movements.

Is there a guide out there for how to make good files for printing stuff off thingiverse?

The 3d printer makes a god awful amount of noise compared to the auto(cat) print that came on the SD card.

I don't have power so I can't boot up my main PC which would let me check, but the guide for my maker select v2 suggested loading the gcode from one of the included sd card models and importing the settings from it into cura. I can't remember if that ability vanished from cura in 2.0 like some other things did, but I used the old version for a long time before I got my settings more dialed in.

The delta may be too new to have good easy to find information sources yet, but if that trick still works I'd give it a shot.

edit: I think what I did was told cura I had a prusa i3, then overrode the dimensions with my own for the build area, then loaded the gcode settings to override settings on top of that. Like I said, not sure if the new cura can still do that, unfortunately.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

politicorific posted:

99% of the stuff that applies to slicing on any 3d printer applies to that little printer as well.

And define "wispy", because fine "hairs" on a print are easily dealt with after printing.

If you're printing something that is making large X/Y movements on a printer as small as that one is, maybe consider lowering the hotend temperature a little bit to decrease the ease that the filament has with oozing. Do it a few degrees at a time with test prints until you get the best result you can before the extruder starts skipping steps because there is too much back-pressure from the low melted temp of the filament.

That, or really crank up the print speed. I got surprisingly good results telling that little printer to go 120mm/s just seeing how it would look compared to the standard 60mm/s.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You can modify the Kinect itself if you're handy with a soldering iron. Need a 12v power supply and a USB cable, doesn't look too hard.

Guess I'll gift my brother's poorly equipped workshop an iron then.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Guess I'll gift my brother's poorly equipped workshop an iron then.

Here's a guide: https://imgur.com/a/e10dN

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

politicorific posted:

Anything in particular you are trying to print? I have a v2 and have had great prints, but I use simplify 3d currently. You printing with PLA or PETG?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

All of that effort just to power? What moron designed that cable.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nephzinho posted:

All of that effort just to power? What moron designed that cable.

A company that wanted to sell "Kinect for Windows" as a separate and more expensive product.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well, it makes sense as a dedicated accessory for a game console, this way you only need one cable between the console and Kinect, and don't need a separate power adapter.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

ClassH posted:

Anything in particular you are trying to print? I have a v2 and have had great prints, but I use simplify 3d currently. You printing with PLA or PETG?

New problem. I tried cura 15.04.06 along with the default robot and had no problem. The next day (a few hours ago) I tried a 2 part hanging dog model off thingiverse and the print head went slamming into the bed. There’s now an indentation there.

PLA is fine. Slicing and controlling the drat thing so it doesn’t try to destroy itself is now the issue.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

politicorific posted:

New problem. I tried cura 15.04.06 along with the default robot and had no problem. The next day (a few hours ago) I tried a 2 part hanging dog model off thingiverse and the print head went slamming into the bed. There’s now an indentation there.

PLA is fine. Slicing and controlling the drat thing so it doesn’t try to destroy itself is now the issue.

I have a Monoprice Mini Delta (I think that's the same as you?). I've found the bed leveling best using G29 P6 Z0.3 in the startup gcode (this does a matrix of test-taps) rather than the default, which does a 0.8 mm negative offset at the centre (C-0.8). But yes, the community sucks, since it's mostly based around facebook, which is terrible for that kind of thing.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hobnob posted:

I have a Monoprice Mini Delta (I think that's the same as you?). I've found the bed leveling best using G29 P6 Z0.3 in the startup gcode (this does a matrix of test-taps) rather than the default, which does a 0.8 mm negative offset at the centre (C-0.8). But yes, the community sucks, since it's mostly based around facebook, which is terrible for that kind of thing.

Have you done any manual leveling? I did see discussion on Reddit of tweaking the optical end stop sensors to get matching numbers from a G29 sequence (watching the G-code output) but I haven't tried that yet. Other than that, I think I'm using a very similar G29 string as you in Slic3r and it's working pretty well.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Have you done any manual leveling? I did see discussion on Reddit of tweaking the optical end stop sensors to get matching numbers from a G29 sequence (watching the G-code output) but I haven't tried that yet. Other than that, I think I'm using a very similar G29 string as you in Slic3r and it's working pretty well.

Nope, I haven't done any hardware tweaking, since this is my first printer and things seem to be working ok for me. I have seen people reporting that manual leveling is necessary, but the defaults are working well enough at the moment.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Anyone got any tips for troubleshooting under extrusion?
I assume it's either struggling to pull material (I've not printed a proper spool holder yet) or a clogged nozzle

Either way, my last print had horizontal layers not sticking and was extruding inconsistently (but in a pattern weirdly)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Extruder gear stripping or just not tight enough? Also, maybe bump the temp up a couple degrees.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I turned the gear manually and it looked like it feeds ok. No gears missing thank god

I was printing at 230 with PLA, but I'm worried its a bit hot. Ironically I was trying to print a temp tower to work out what was best when it went tits up

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's pretty hot for pla. Did you feel the filament to see if it had been stripped by the gear? Normally that leaves a ton of dust laying around but... It might be that it's too hot to push. I know flexible filament is a bastard to get the tension right. Maybe the temp was just too high?

I'm really not incredibly knowledgeable about this kinda stuff though so I might be missing something obvious.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kaffo posted:

Anyone got any tips for troubleshooting under extrusion?
I assume it's either struggling to pull material (I've not printed a proper spool holder yet) or a clogged nozzle

Either way, my last print had horizontal layers not sticking and was extruding inconsistently (but in a pattern weirdly)

Check out the Simplify3D troubleshooting guide. On the software side, your filament diameter might be off, or your extrusion multiplier might be wrong.

Hardware side, in addition to what Flanders said, your feed path might be introducing too much friction, your temp might be too low, your extruder may be clogged, or your speed might be too high for the nozzle. I think that’s all the possibilities but I’m sick so I may have missed some.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well after some more time with the Duet I am loving it.

Some additional observations, wall of text ahead.

Everything Duet is well documented here: https://duet3d.dozuki.com/

The PID algorithm seems to be much better than that on the Rambo, or at the very least its auto-tune is better. For my printer anyways. The Duet temp is much more stable. My Rambo board would oscillate back and forth around the target temp a lot by 1-3°. Turning a fan on would send it bouncing back and forth around the target temp for a several minutes. Even after some manual tweaking of the PID values. The Duet never goes more than .3-.5 out. It recovers back to target quickly and stays there.

My first hurdle setting it up was the wifi password. You have to connect via USB/emulated serial and issue some M commands to give it your wifi SSID and password. (it uses a ESP8266 for Wifi) Once that is done then everything else is done from the web interface.

The other hurdle I had was understanding the configuration system. It uses G code for everything. There are no firmware settings as it where. All configuration is M commands in text files on the SD card. If you use any M commands to change settings, you have to issue a M500 to save them, which writes the changed settings to a file "config-override.g" on the SD card. You have to make sure your config.g has a M501 command at the very end, which causes it to load your changes from the override file on boot and apply them. Other actions have a associated .g file. There is one for homing, bed probing, pausing, resuming, etc.. so you can basically write a macro for each of those actions. https://configurator.reprapfirmware.org/ will generate the needed configuration files for Duet. Thankfully you never have to remove the SD card from the printer for anything. The web interface has a text editor built in. You can edit any of the text files on the SD card easily.

Slic3r supports directly uploading to the Duet. S3D can upload to Duet using a script and cURL to send the GCODE file via HTTP. Duet also supports FTP upload, though as of the latest firmware 1.20 this is currently broken. They have it fixed in the current 1.21 beta releases.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I think I may have fried some things when my heated bed shorted out. The PSU doesn't always power up when it's plugged in, even though it's getting voltage to the terminals. When it does work, the new heated bed is constantly on as soon as it gets power, and I can't shut it off. I think a new RAMPS board and PSU are in my future.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm in the process of designing my own printer and I'm looking for a lightweight extruder for 1.75mm. I have mostly used greg's wade extruder in the past, and they work great with the downside of being so massive.

I guess the titan is the new hot thing now? I can't really justify in my head paying $60 for a dinky plastic injection molded extruder housing with no motor or hotend though. Are there printable variations on titan that anyone has used or recommends, which also take fairly common hardware in reprap style?

e: Also I guess I'm looking for a short style nema17 motor to go with the extruder with sufficient torque after gearing. I have a bunch of spare nema17 motors but they are all basically max torque, 47mm case length which makes extruders quite heavy.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 10, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Funzo posted:

I think I may have fried some things when my heated bed shorted out. The PSU doesn't always power up when it's plugged in, even though it's getting voltage to the terminals. When it does work, the new heated bed is constantly on as soon as it gets power, and I can't shut it off. I think a new RAMPS board and PSU are in my future.

Check if the mosfet wires are backwards, I made that mistake adding a mosfet board to my maker select, I had the wires reversed and it would start heating as soon as power was turned on. Not sure about the PSU, though.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

I'm in the process of designing my own printer and I'm looking for a lightweight extruder for 1.75mm. I have mostly used greg's wade extruder in the past, and they work great with the downside of being so massive.
I've had a Greg's Wade's, a regular direct drive, and a Titan Aero so I'm familiar with them all. You're right about the Wade, it works well but it is just so darned big. My direct drive was just a 40mm NEMA 17 motor at 0.6A and what is generically called an MK7 direct drive gear. I tried 4 or 5 different ones (including the official E3D Hobgoblin) and had some whose teeth were just scratches in the metal which didn't work well at all, so YMMV. I found the one listed there as "Reprap 1.75 brass" to be the best, but it could just be that one was machined better by luck. In my direct drive, I just had it attached to an E3D Volcano. It worked perfectly for volumes up to 12mm^3/s. This would also be what the Prusa MK2 ends up using, and what I've retrofitted my original i3 with.

I should also say I tried a bowden extruder with the Volcano as well, but my retracts were so long (7mm?) given the size and geometry of my printer that it was difficult to get a good print.

I rebuilt my big printer with the Titan Aero and a 25mm NEMA 17 at 0.3A. Overall my carriage ended up about 100g lighter, but honestly I can't tell the difference. I've gained a bit of Z build volume because it is a bit shorter, but I've lost a bit of Y because it sticks out further from the carriage. The Aero is powerful enough even with the small stepper and lower current to fully strip PLA without missing steps. I did have to replace the bearings in it recently because one went from being squeaky to fully seizing up. The screw that goes through the bearing is also a bit hokey in that it is there to hold the Aero to the stepper, but if you screw it in to full tightness it will compress the moving parts to the point that they won't move. Leaving the screw slightly loose means it will work its way out over time, and it is behind the cooling fan so you have to remove the fan to check its tightness. There's also the question of aligning the gears to there's no backlash which is a bit fiddly.

All in all, I would say the Titan Aero is more trouble than it is worth. There a tons of designs for direct drive extruders using the MK7-style gear right on the stepper shaft and driving into E3D-style hotends. They work really well and aren't terribly heavy. If you have a standard sort of i3 where the carriage only moves in the X direction, you could also try the same thing except with a bowden.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

CapnBry posted:

I've had a Greg's Wade's, a regular direct drive, and a Titan Aero so I'm familiar with them all. You're right about the Wade, it works well but it is just so darned big. My direct drive was just a 40mm NEMA 17 motor at 0.6A and what is generically called an MK7 direct drive gear. I tried 4 or 5 different ones (including the official E3D Hobgoblin) and had some whose teeth were just scratches in the metal which didn't work well at all, so YMMV. I found the one listed there as "Reprap 1.75 brass" to be the best, but it could just be that one was machined better by luck. In my direct drive, I just had it attached to an E3D Volcano. It worked perfectly for volumes up to 12mm^3/s. This would also be what the Prusa MK2 ends up using, and what I've retrofitted my original i3 with.

I should also say I tried a bowden extruder with the Volcano as well, but my retracts were so long (7mm?) given the size and geometry of my printer that it was difficult to get a good print.

I rebuilt my big printer with the Titan Aero and a 25mm NEMA 17 at 0.3A. Overall my carriage ended up about 100g lighter, but honestly I can't tell the difference. I've gained a bit of Z build volume because it is a bit shorter, but I've lost a bit of Y because it sticks out further from the carriage. The Aero is powerful enough even with the small stepper and lower current to fully strip PLA without missing steps. I did have to replace the bearings in it recently because one went from being squeaky to fully seizing up. The screw that goes through the bearing is also a bit hokey in that it is there to hold the Aero to the stepper, but if you screw it in to full tightness it will compress the moving parts to the point that they won't move. Leaving the screw slightly loose means it will work its way out over time, and it is behind the cooling fan so you have to remove the fan to check its tightness. There's also the question of aligning the gears to there's no backlash which is a bit fiddly.

All in all, I would say the Titan Aero is more trouble than it is worth. There a tons of designs for direct drive extruders using the MK7-style gear right on the stepper shaft and driving into E3D-style hotends. They work really well and aren't terribly heavy. If you have a standard sort of i3 where the carriage only moves in the X direction, you could also try the same thing except with a bowden.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, from just looking at the titan it seems like those tiny bearings are underspec'd and I've read at least one other review mentioning seized bearing failure. Its a pretty insane juxtaposition to the 3x608 bearings on Greg's, which are clearly overkill. Some sensible middle-ground would maybe be nice.

I guess it also feels weird that Greg's Wade is something like 8 years old now, and still seems like closest thing to a "standard reprap extruder", no newer designs seem to have filled its role in the same way. I mean I suppose its partly to due with the explosion in number of designs out there now, they are so diluted that everyone is using some niche design or variation out of hundreds, or just buying a proprietary/cloned extruder. I really wish there was an effort to make a good all around updated reprap extruder to rule them all or something.

I'm considering doing some kind of direct drive now; what size motor (or torque rating) is typically good for that, full size?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Just as an alternate data point, I have a bunch of Titans (regular, not aero) on my machines and they're great. I personally really believe that geared extruders are superior to direct-drive ones -- I know that people can get DD extruders working well but there's nothing I hate more than the click-click-click-click of a filament jam that only happened because you're operating on the edge of the motor's torque capability. With the 3:1 drive I can cram 3mm composite filament through a 0.4mm nozzle no with zero problems. The gearing also increases the resolution of your extrusion, which is an advantage when operating with very low layer heights. Oh, and because it multiplies torque, I'm using teeny little 20mm pancake steppers that really compress the size of the carriage.

I would suggest supporting E3D because they really have made massive improvements in the field but you can get knockoff Titans from AliExpress for like 10 bucks if you want.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 11, 2018

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

kaffo posted:

I turned the gear manually and it looked like it feeds ok. No gears missing thank god

I was printing at 230 with PLA, but I'm worried its a bit hot. Ironically I was trying to print a temp tower to work out what was best when it went tits up
Is that a normal temp for PLA? I run my monoprice mini low and slow because of quality issues at the default Cura profile speeds/temps so I'm right at 180C.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Parts Kit posted:

Is that a normal temp for PLA? I run my monoprice mini low and slow because of quality issues at the default Cura profile speeds/temps so I'm right at 180C.

I normally run 180 - 185 for PLA on the hot end. 230 is absurd for that material.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The sweet spot for me with pla tends to be around 205-207.

230 is way too goddamned high though. That's almost charring temp.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
230 C still comes up a bunch for PLA because it's what MakerBot software used to default to. There are a lot of Rep 2 printers still out there, printing PLA too hot. :)

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Parts Kit posted:

Yes, it was too hot. S3D defaulted to 230 for PLA for some reason but I've put it back down to 190 with no problem

I've managed to refine my problem down to the extruder being a poo poo. I tell it to extrude 100mm and it only extrudes like 40mm
First I tried changing the esteps and it got better but it was still like 20mm off
Second try I got a different amount extruded so I was wtf-ing and checked the tension on the gear, which was wwaaayy too high, so turned it down
Now I'm afraid it's slipping and I'm still not getting 100mm... It's driving me insane :smith:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Make sure the gear isn't missing teeth. That can cause a headache all on its own.

Have you checked the width of the extruded material? Could be that s3d has you with 3mm filament instead of the 1.75mm.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Make sure the gear isn't missing teeth. That can cause a headache all on its own.

Have you checked the width of the extruded material? Could be that s3d has you with 3mm filament instead of the 1.75mm.

Big gear is definitely not missing teeth, I checked after some of the horror on the fb group

I don't have calipers to check it sadly, but I have two spools of 1.75 from different vendors and getting identical results with both, so I'm pretty confident that it's extruder
S3D was set to 1.75 yeah, I went through the settings with a fine toothed comb after I questioned the high temp

Might double check my cabling to, in-case something has been damaged

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

kaffo, when you say you changed the E-steps, did you do an actual calibration? It's a real common issue with these Chinese printers that the extruder steps aren't set anywhere close to where they should be.

If you haven't calibrated, check this out: https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/how-to-calibrate-your-extruder

If you have, another thing to check is if the reference voltage on the extruder stepper drive is set correctly. You didn't mention if you actually hear any clicking or skipping noises at the extruder motor, but the drivers being set low is another pretty common problem. If you search Google for "Tevo Tornado stepper voltage" there are a bunch of different tutorials on how to do it. You'll need a volt meter/multimeter if you don't already have one.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Acid Reflux posted:

kaffo, when you say you changed the E-steps, did you do an actual calibration? It's a real common issue with these Chinese printers that the extruder steps aren't set anywhere close to where they should be.

If you haven't calibrated, check this out: https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/how-to-calibrate-your-extruder

If you have, another thing to check is if the reference voltage on the extruder stepper drive is set correctly. You didn't mention if you actually hear any clicking or skipping noises at the extruder motor, but the drivers being set low is another pretty common problem. If you search Google for "Tevo Tornado stepper voltage" there are a bunch of different tutorials on how to do it. You'll need a volt meter/multimeter if you don't already have one.
Yeah, I followed the "mark 120mm, extrude 100mm, work out the difference, adjust esteps, repeat" method. And although it was better it was still off by a fair bit

I think you are on to something with the voltage being too low though, since my adjusted estep value was crazy high
I've got a multimeter at home, so I'll give that a go!

Thanks for the help goons, I'm new to this and I'm doing it on purpose so I've got to learn how the gently caress to do it right :unsmith:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

230 is way too goddamned high though. That's almost charring temp.
I can't imagine my printer even working at 190C. The way to figure out what temperature you need to run at is to do the math for your printing speed then free-extrude a length of filament and weigh it. Assuming your printer is already calibrated properly for length (E steps/mm), you are able to know if the amount of plastic you're getting is what you're requesting and if the temperature is adequate.

Here's my tests showing 1.75mm PLA filament (1.25 density) feeding 200mm at various feed rates. For my 0.24mm layers with 0.70mm trace width at 65mm/s, that's 10.12mm3/s. The temperature of the hotend was verified using a FLIR thermal camera and a thermocouple to be within 5C of stated temperature.

First line, 100mm/s or 4.01mm3/s, everything is fine 200C-240C. At 200mm/s 8.02mm3/s, at 200C we're only getting 89% of the requested amount of plastic. Note the red zone in the chart is where I could see or hear the extruder slipping so I can actually lose over 10% of my volume without being able to see it happening. I ended up settling on a max speed of 12mm3/s and printing at 230C, which should give me 98% accuracy. Extruder in this test was a direct drive E3D Volcano with an "MK7" direct drive gear, but I also tested it with the Titan Aero and it performed only slightly better, with a printing temp of 225C giving 98% accuracy.

EDIT: Formulas
Linear mm3/mm = Pi * (LayerHeight / 2) ^ 2 + LayerHeight * (TraceWidth - LayerHeight)
mm3/s = mm3/mm * PrintSpeed

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’ve had some batches of PLA fail to adhere at anything below 220, and one batch of orange that barely worked at all unless it was printed at 235. :shrug: