Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Speaking of something different: How 'bout this Grixis Blitz list I saw at the shop?

1/1s and pump spells sounds awful, i'd rather just cast lava spike

also what hellsau said, 3 colors is mad sketchy, you either can't hit you colors reliably or the majority of your lands come into play tapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

card's broken

wait, are you saying a card that is borderline restrictable in vintage and banned in legacy is good

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

wait, are you saying a card that is borderline restrictable in vintage and banned in legacy is good

Gush is restricted in Vintage again because it's broken. Gitaxian Probe also probably should be banned in Legacy since it's just a dumb card. Not a whole lot of people are arguing that Gitaxian Probe eating a ban in Modern was a mistake.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Anyone in Canada have suggestions for a place if I wanted to slowly start buying up full playsets of commons by set?

Shipping seems to be the big barrier. So many eBay listings are charging $5+ in shipping for 70 cards. Kind of insane when I can get a barbell for weight lifting shipped free. Guess it’s a way to pad their profits.

I kind of like the idea of throwing $20 per paycheque at buying a couple common sets online till I eventually end up with a huge play set for Pauper. I don’t have the time, money or interest to get back into real competitive formats but Pauper has me intrigued.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

BGrifter posted:

Anyone in Canada have suggestions for a place if I wanted to slowly start buying up full playsets of commons by set?

Shipping seems to be the big barrier. So many eBay listings are charging $5+ in shipping for 70 cards. Kind of insane when I can get a barbell for weight lifting shipped free. Guess it’s a way to pad their profits.

I kind of like the idea of throwing $20 per paycheque at buying a couple common sets online till I eventually end up with a huge play set for Pauper. I don’t have the time, money or interest to get back into real competitive formats but Pauper has me intrigued.

Local game stores or face to face games?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mezzanon posted:

Local game stores or face to face games?

Emailed our local game stores. Face to Face games looks perfect though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

BGrifter posted:

Dude, you'll have every deck worth considering 80 bucks in. It's pretty cool.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If you're saying like "buy all the commons in Ixalan" or whatever when you say "playset by set" that sounds like a horrible idea. You would get so much unplayable chaff forever.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Agreed, if you're thinking about playing Pauper, there's maybe a handful of commons per set you'd need and way more older commons that you'd need multiple playsets of.

I'm building my first set of Pauper decks and I needed 12 Scoured Barrens.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It’s less that I expect most of it to be playable and more that I’d enjoy collecting sets of commons from the sets I grew up with in the 90s. It’s a cheap way to relive a bit of my childhood.

Obviously I could just buy four of the good cards and ignore the rest of most sets.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Oh look who is the very first decklist on the mothership: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/pauper-constructed-league-2018-03-07

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

poo poo dude, congrats

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hell yeah buddy!

Dinrova Tron sure is a deck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Have I ever mentioned how dumb it is that Wall of Omens and Wall of Blossoms are uncommon instead of common?

Because it's real dumb.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Obviously they're ranking in descending order of greatness, I think I got like 5 trophies last week. The deck is good but I managed to time out for a second time last night against Elves because game 1 my actual bottom card was Compulsive Research and my second and third walls were in the three cards above it. I had locked them out at that point, but I had to bounce all their stuff and then Flicker Sea Gate 9 times to actually manufacture a kill, so I was behind on time 6 minutes to 9 minutes and was unable to put together a win in game 3 fast enough. Didn't help that my trigger targets would just fail repeatedly - I'd click Wall's trigger, click Flicker, and the trigger wouldn't go on the stack until I did it again. MTGO is a piece of poo poo is what I'm saying.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I like that the algorithm seems to have picked up 2 nearly identical mono U decks as different because one is running snow covered islands.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

uPen posted:

I like that the algorithm seems to have picked up 2 nearly identical mono U decks as different because one is running snow covered islands.

technically 20 cards different mate

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That Wall deck looks hilarious and I want to build it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

It inspired me to make a Wall Pauper Commander deck. :v:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Some Numbers posted:

Is the point to just generate mana and win with Invoker?

I'd rather just poo poo out walls and win with Vent Sentinel activations

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

80s James Hetfield posted:

Is the point to just generate mana and win with Invoker?

I'd rather just poo poo out walls and win with Vent Sentinel activations

Generate mana and win by putting Freed from the Real on Axebane Guardian to instawin with Invoker, I think?

Or what you said.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Some Numbers posted:

Generate mana and win by putting Freed from the Real on Axebane Guardian to instawin with Invoker, I think?

Or what you said.

Lost my league match to flicker tron in 3. At least I took a game off it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

seriously go gently caress yourself mtgo

14 lands, 2 Maps, 1 Crop Rotation, 2 Prism, and 4 other spells in 23 cards? Come on.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
As Garfield intended.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

You're doomed. You have no maindeck counterspells and Ghostly Flicker kind of owns your primary game plan, he's got multiple counterspells, and Capsize will be enough to end the match, so game 1 is a lost cause. Your best bet would be to kill any Prisms on sight and hope to color screw him while somehow beating him to death before he finds a relevant spell. I don't even know what you could sideboard to make that matchup good enough to reliably win the match given how badly you'll lose game 1. That particular Tron build seems like it's built in such a way that you have the best chance against it, with only one Flicker, one Pulse, two Walls, two or three Pyroblasts, and a reasonable amount of removal, but after sideboard you get to take out the four Journeys and two Missionaries and bring in what, two Dispels two Counterspells and the Relic? Still missing a card to bring in, and even after sideboarding you have fewer counterspells than they do maindeck and they also get to bring in Pyroblast which is much better than any card you're bringing in. Relic isn't horrible since they only have one Flicker so you might get to eat it, but even without a Flicker loop they can just outdraw you, counter everything important and beat you to death with Mulldrifters or Rolling Thunder you. Maybe you can bring in Hydroblast only to counter opposing Pyroblasts or the Rolling Thunder? That's pretty sketchy and likely to make you wind up with dead cards in hand.

Basically it's a lost cause and you should focus on other matchups.

also Stormbound Geist sucks, a Pyroblastable 3 drop that, if it resolves, is a 10 turn clock isn't worth bothering with.

Mezzanon posted:

Lost my league match to flicker tron in 3. At least I took a game off it.

Here's a longer version of the matchup for you Hellsau, it was closer than I was expecting.

G1: Lose the die roll. I try to play smart knowing that I am hugely unfavored in this matchup, and I do pretty well. I spreading seas to keep my opponent off tron, and I try to get low level beats in and hope he doesn't get the flicker wall combo going. He lands it once and gets rid of a spreading seas on a tron land, but he still doesnt have tron, which allows me to make a sacrifice play with one of my reality acids to draw out countermagic so I can journey to nowhere his mnemonic wall. I eventually have to tap low to get him on a two turn clock, but he has tron online. I need to fade a single turn of him not drawing exactly Tower and having rolling thunder in hand. Opponent draws tower and has rolling thunder in hand and domes me for 15 while I am at 15. (my next turn play was going to be bounce crossroads so that I would not die)

G2: I realize that keeping my opponent off blue is a fools errand so I have to try to outdraw my opponent and/or keep them off non-blue mana. So I spend this game keeping a spreading seas on a tron land, and throwing the rest at green lands/cascade bluffs. to keep my opponent off pulse of murasa. Opponent sticks a rainbow land and lands the stonehorn lock, but has absolutely zero pressure. This gives me a chance to evoke mulldrifter (with sac on the stack) momentary blink mulldrifter to draw 4. Opponent keeps the lock for 3 turns and I spend those 3 turns sculpting my hand and playing two power creatures. I finally make a move where I spreading seas a tron land (taking opponent off tron again) throw a reality acid into countermagic, play a second reality acid on his stonehorn, then bounce the acid, killing the dignitary. Opponent untaps and tries to pulse of murasa the stonehorn back and I have double dispel at the ready. Opponent tried to flame slash one of my attackers and I have the hydroblast and he scoops it up.

G3: I mull to 6 and keep a 2 white land hand, and by the time i see a blue source my opponent can double capsize lol so I scoop it up.

kaville
Feb 18, 2011
Went 2-1 today at my LGS' monthly pauper tournament on Affinity. 8 people showed up and everyone was on something different.

M1: Mono U Delver - Lost game one to turn one Delver and piles and piles of countermagic backup. Ripped game two and three with giant Atogs getting Flinged.

M2: Mono B Control - This was a bit of a mess, and I didn't have a solid sideboard for it. Game 1 I only got two creatures out, and they both got killed super quick. Game two I won by having an ATog be unblocked and flinging it after damage. Game three I lost to a Gary of the top. I had a solid board and was ready to go for the kill. It was pretty depressing.

M3: RB Reanimator - First game pretty scary, having to sac my board except a frogmite to kill a turn 4 Ulamog's Crusher. I stabilized and ended up coming back for a win when they flooded out. Game two was a sweep with a turn 3 13/14 Atog into Fling.

First time playing Affinity in Pauper, and it brought me way back into Mirrodin Standard. It was a blast annd I feel I could have done better against MonoB, but I was not at all prepared for it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

MBC will beat Affinity a huge percentage of the time. It doesn't actually care about your 4/4s since it can kill them reasonably easily, and if they trade 1 for 1 enough times even your Atog doesn't cut it since they'll be at a high enough life total and you'll have few enough permanents that even an Atog+Fling won't be able to kill them. Also Chittering Rats can Time Walk you very easily.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have some questions about Burn, specifically, have people tried Scent of Cinder and if so, is it just really bad?

Also, did something in the metagame shift to make Flame Rift less attractive?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Scent of Cinder just seems bad to me, how often are you going to have it and 4 or more other non-land cards in your hand? It feels like a turn 2 play that's dead dead dead if you draw it later and doesn't have Martyr of Ashes upside of hosing aggressive decks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I have some questions about Burn, specifically, have people tried Scent of Cinder and if so, is it just really bad?

Also, did something in the metagame shift to make Flame Rift less attractive?

You should try to minimize the number of dead topdecks you include in a burn deck, because otherwise you tend to just fold if the opponent gains some life or counters some of your burn spells and you start drawing bad cards instead of just drawing another Bolt.

Flame Rift makes your aggressive matches worse. I think one's fine but if you draw two against an aggro deck you stand a good chance of killing yourself before you kill them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Is Rift something you might include if you think there's a lot of control in your meta then, or just a thing you'd ignore altogether?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Is Rift something you might include if you think there's a lot of control in your meta then, or just a thing you'd ignore altogether?

If there's a lot of control in your meta you want to include a bunch of instant-speed burn spells so that you can end-of-turn play three or four burn spells, untap and play four burn spells to overload their counterspells.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

okay seriously gently caress Delver of Secrets

My UB control opponent opponent is playing Delver of Secrets in their Evincar's Justice deck. It might not be incorrect since a one mana 3/2 flier is kind of busted, but if the card is so powerful that people are playing it in the same deck as Evincar's Justice there's a problem.

Also I'm writing a big effort post on Stonehorn Tron. Expect a wall of text soon.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

okay seriously gently caress Delver of Secrets

My UB control opponent opponent is playing Delver of Secrets in their Evincar's Justice deck. It might not be incorrect since a one mana 3/2 flier is kind of busted, but if the card is so powerful that people are playing it in the same deck as Evincar's Justice there's a problem.

Also I'm writing a big effort post on Stonehorn Tron. Expect a wall of text soon.

I just bought all the cards to convert Murasa Tron to Stonehorn to run it next tournament. Excited about this!
edit: also I think I lose to Delver more than any other card in Pauper, so busted.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
My lgs is going to start doing pauper events by the end of april, any good primers when starting out? I've never played constructed magic before, should I look up online to see what decks look cool?

I'm really interested, and I already have a poo poo ton of unused commons.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Kurtofan posted:

My lgs is going to start doing pauper events by the end of april, any good primers when starting out? I've never played constructed magic before, should I look up online to see what decks look cool?

If you've never played constructed before, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to build a competitive deck from what you have. That said, you should be able to use some, and decks are very inexpensive. Take a look at these and see if any strategies catch your eye and once you think you've found something, watch some youtube games.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Kurtofan posted:

UG Turbofog

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

What's a good storage/transport solution for my set of decks?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there some Amazon brand camera bag that was ideal for deck boxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Some Numbers posted:

What's a good storage/transport solution for my set of decks?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CF5OGP8/?coliid=I33MR9B3Q6Q8MS&colid=16JH72XQDST3K&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

note: this is from a reddit thread, I don't have one, I keep thinking about it but when I have $$ I just buy more cards...halp...