Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Bocc Kob posted:

Is there even an end boss or some kind of resolution, because at this point I would totally believe the game will eventually just stop giving you waypoints to bad cutscenes and leave you to wander the train until you die or maybe turn the game off and write Square-Enix angry letters.

fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

We're entering the part of the game where they decide that they need to come up with a plot. You will be getting a ton of plot from here on.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If the "plot" thus far has generated this much loving discussion just to figure out what the hell is going on, I fear for the future of this thread.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I'm glad multiple people have said that the twenty-minute exposition from a god doesn't really mean anything, because:
a) that like five-minute slideshow in one of the ff13 games did it better and shorter, and
b) "We are pets" was a better summation of the plot.
…Really, "we are pets" was probably a better plot, if only because "god's chess pieces" is a perfectly functional rpg plot, unlike whatever the hell this is meant to be. Possibly that? Who knows. Like, persona games basically all do that same overarching plot, but they have the decency to give you a plot to follow until you get to the end and they tell you everything's philemon's game or whatever.

I can't decide if it's a good or a bad thing that the UI is so unmemorable you never seemed to realize why there was a d-pad hanging out. It's a perfectly good representation of "you have no weapons," (if you ignore it being there before you realize that you have no weapons), but it's also super out of place since it just kinda appears on its own like that.

Also, I assume the car flashback was meant to be like, a flashback to happier times with your dad, but like, he literally only existed for 10 minutes. 10 minutes in which your player character was just kinda a whiny poo poo to him. So that's just super out of place.

Hell, even with that reading, it just looks like a goddamn christmastime car commercial.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Skeleton King posted:

We're entering the part of the game where they decide that they need to come up with a plot. You will be getting a ton of plot from here on.

Oh boy, this thread is so going to explode when we get there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kuvo posted:

isn't that just Q from TNG?

Bowerick Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.

Used his immortal life to travel the universe and insult every being who ever lived.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Zenostein posted:

I'm glad multiple people have said that the twenty-minute exposition from a god doesn't really mean anything, because:
a) that like five-minute slideshow in one of the ff13 games did it better and shorter, and
b) "We are pets" was a better summation of the plot.
…Really, "we are pets" was probably a better plot, if only because "god's chess pieces" is a perfectly functional rpg plot, unlike whatever the hell this is meant to be.

Is this a joke? "We are pets" is the most incomprehensible summation of the most incomprehensible plot I have ever seen. I don't think anyone who worked on 13 ever knew what the plot was.

Why can't the plot of this game just be "empire stole my kingdom, now I gotta get the magic weapons and the power of the gods so I can kick the fuckers outta my home, also this homeless guy is a huge prick"

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 4, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Is this a joke? "We are pets" is the most incomprehensible summation of the most incomprehensible plot I have ever seen. I don't think anyone who worked on 13 ever knew what the plot was.

Why can't the plot of this game just be "empire stole my kingdom, now I gotta get the magic weapons and the power of the gods so I can kick the fuckers outta my home, also this homeless guy is a huge prick"

Because that isn't ~~DEEP~~ and ~~NUANCED~~ and suitable for 20 page internet essays.

Though then again Bitch Took My Skull is a good enough plot, so what do I know?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gods show up, blow up half a frat house, tell the inebriated residents that the crown prince needs to prove he's worthy to be king and there's a convenient demon problem happening. Get on with it or they'll find some other fucker to run the country. Also your organised bride is right in the loving middle of it. You might want to save her. Or not.

Mission one: Escape the cops who think you just blew up a meth lab.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

"Bitch took my skull" is a simple plot that is far more entertaining than it has any right to be. It is certainly better than the convoluted shitstorm that ff13 and this game have.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Bitch took my skull" is a legitimately better written and more engaging plot than anything XIII tried to do. XIII was an out and out clusterfuck on the level of this game. Maybe ever so slightly more coherent, but that's only really by virtue of XIII being a finished product whereas this clearly is not as seen with the hastily patched in plot dumps.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Bitch Took My Skull" had no illusions of really being about anything besides a succession of assholes taking your skull.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

It's crap like this that really helps you appreciate how blood on he sand made a game about 50 cent so fun and memorable.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think any game could be improved by having a dedicated button to make your guy cuss.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

"Gods are doing some bullshit, you just shut up and do what you're told follow this hallway. It makes perfect sense.
f.e. I'm not saying it's a good plot, but it's certainly easy to understand

Momomo posted:

I think any game could be improved by having a dedicated button to make your guy cuss.

There was that dick marchinko game, I don't think all the swearing helped it much.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zenostein posted:

There was that dick marchinko game, I don't think all the swearing helped it much.

The theme song made entirely of his swearing and insulting one liners was pure art.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

IMO because SE thought otherwise there wouldn't be room for all those "shock and awe" plot twists trying to recapture the impact of the infamous Aeris' death scene even though if there isn't any meaningful buildup for any of it to work.

Hell, the small flashback in XII where Ashe and Rasler genuinely accepted each other's roles even if it was through a forced political marriage made me cared more for both than anyone in this game.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Zenostein posted:

"Gods are doing some bullshit, you just shut up and do what you're told follow this hallway. It makes perfect sense.
f.e. I'm not saying it's a good plot, but it's certainly easy to understand

The problem and reason I disagree with it being easy to understand is that every time I think about the plot of 13 I can feel my blood pressure rise because of how badly simple core plot of "gods controlling fate" is done. What you are saying is far too straightforward to accurately represent what the plot of 13 is like.

The plot of 13 is like having a stroke. It is easy to understand that you had a stroke after the fact, but during the stroke you are have no idea what is happening, only that you are scared, confused, in pain, and just want it to stop.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 5, 2018

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Not that this story is any better (it's not) but I'm confused as to where people are getting the idea that 13 made any sense either (it didn't)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But man, that combat system!

midexlain
Apr 1, 2014
I liked the Leona Lewis international trailer! (^_^)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The problem and reason I disagree with it being easy to understand is that every time I think about the plot of 13 I can feel my blood pressure rise because of how badly simple core plot of "gods controlling fate" is done. What you are saying is far too straightforward to accurately represent what the plot of 13 is like.

The plot of 13 is like having a stroke. It is easy to understand that you had a stroke after the fact, but during the stroke you are have no idea what is happening, only that you are scared, confused, in pain, and just want it to stop.

I can't find the stupid video that explained all the gods stuff, but I was talking entirely about that, which is pretty straightforwardly "sad gods do stupid things, get people to do stupid things." I have very pointedly not mentioned anything you do in the game, because a) it probably doesn't matter to the plot much, and b) I could not possibly care what those people are doing. There's a reason I didn't say it was a good game, after all.

On the other hand, while looking for that stupid video, I found this, which is hilarious:

quote:

The development of the three games was started at the same time and we gathered to try and find a common platform to stand on and try to build from. But since then, we've been working completely independently of each other. Each game is evolving in its own direction and take place in separate worlds with their own main characters. There exists basically no cooperation between the different teams. I wouldn't even want to claim that we communicate with each other.
—Motomu Toriyama

I wonder if there's a delightful quote like that, but about this single game.

Gruckles posted:

The theme song made entirely of his swearing and insulting one liners was pure art.

Yeah it is.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I think the only correct answer is neither game had a plot and Square Enix has stolen money and hours of your life away from you.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I like that this entire game is one big flashback, because that is some goooood writing man.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

topiKal posted:

Not that this story is any better (it's not) but I'm confused as to where people are getting the idea that 13 made any sense either (it didn't)

The plot to that game made sense, it was just bad. They dance around it with lore, but the basic idea was just the gods wanting to die so they got some guys to kill them, along with everyone else. Everything else, like the war between cocoon and pulse was just pointless dressing.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

You're right about the plot being simple at its core, but you can't believe that most people would ever figure that out. I wouldn't hate it so much if 13 was able to make its plot clear or tell it in a way that a human being can follow.

You have to make sure that people can understand your plot without having to read supplemental material or watch videos or look at the wiki. Ff13 fails miserably in that regard.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

Everything else, like the war between cocoon and pulse was just pointless dressing.

The war between cocoon and pulse is nothing compared to that inexplicable and stupid scene where everyone decides to join in the Pope's traditional NASCAR Coronation Jubilee on their transformers.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

You're right about the plot being simple at its core, but you can't believe that most people would ever figure that out. I wouldn't hate it so much if 13 was able to make its plot clear or tell it in a way that a human being can follow.

You have to make sure that people can understand your plot without having to read supplemental material or watch videos or look at the wiki. Ff13 fails miserably in that regard.

Oh absolutely, it's told really badly, but you don't really need any extra information to get it. When I was playing I expected there to be some sort of extra explanation for why the Pope said "kill us and make god come back" because clearly he had some sort of ulterior motive, right? Well no, he didn't. It was just dumb. Everything he says is exactly how it goes down, and the party just kind of... goes along with it in the end. Because I don't know why, they just do.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Momomo posted:

The plot to that game made sense, it was just bad. They dance around it with lore, but the basic idea was just the gods wanting to die so they got some guys to kill them, along with everyone else. Everything else, like the war between cocoon and pulse was just pointless dressing.

To be fair, the end of the game does bring this plot together a little more coherently than it's looking right now, and there are even things I think aren't too bad. But yeah, it's a jumble as it stands now and all these updates somehow haven't helped.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

FeyerbrandX posted:

The war between cocoon and pulse is nothing compared to that inexplicable and stupid scene where everyone decides to join in the Pope's traditional NASCAR Coronation Jubilee on their transformers.

Ahem, I think you mean Super Space Pope.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't wait for the next DLC

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Episode 55: Y'all're

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So everything with Gladio and Ignis was added later. In the original you just find Ravus's corpse with no information how he died.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I think you skipped the entire chunk of the game were you play as Noct and find Ravus's body and the Sword. And were you fight that Empereor Deamon. (Were Noct kills him.) And the only clue in the original game that that daemon was the Emperor is that after you kill it, you hear a speech from the Emperor.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Mr. Bucket, now THERE'S a guy who doesn't have his poo poo together." That line killed me for some reason

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The only downside of accidentally skipping Noctis's section is not getting the tutorial on all of your OP magic ring's functions.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I can't believe that playing trough the new and optional section made you skip the original one, what the hell. I thought it would just continue from where you slept.
At least I got to see the new content, I guess.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Are you making GBS threads me? They have you skip part of the game and don't tell you it will do that? loving hell, Square. I'm not even surprised anymore when they gently caress something up.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Demicol posted:

I can't believe that playing trough the new and optional section made you skip the original one, what the hell. I thought it would just continue from where you slept.
At least I got to see the new content, I guess.

Are you making GBS threads me? They have you skip part of the game and don't tell you it will do that? loving hell, Square. I'm not even surprised anymore when they gently caress something up.

lmao

its astounding that this game keeps surprising me with how poorly thought out it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I think in the hallway "trap" you were supposed to pull out the sword you got as an item pop-up and kill the robots before they exploded, or maybe pull out your ring and suck the robots off as hard as you could before they explode, but as it turns out it didn't matter because the trap wasn't actually dangerous in any way?

Also Ardyn said something about he's supposed to be king when he was slicing General Sephiroth's arm off so I guess that's his Evil Motivation for all this?

I think the Emperor had a total of 2 cutscenes in 50 billion hours of gameplay before he turned into a demon. :thunk:

• Locked thread