Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
James Cameron's Avatar for Best Animated Picture :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I expected Jim Carrey’s voice

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

I expected Jim Carrey’s voice

I didn’t expect anything and I was still disappointed.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
So instead of a hermit sneering from the mountain top he's just a dude that goes shopping and is a dick, got it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That jazzy version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" is pretty groovy at least.

Benedict Cumberbatch, though... bleh. You know who would have made a good Grinch? Michael McKean.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

kefkafloyd posted:

That jazzy version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" is pretty groovy at least.

The singer needs to channel his inner baritone sax a little harder.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kefkafloyd posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch, though... bleh. You know who would have made a good Grinch? Michael McKean.

Tim Curry.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Boris Karloff

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, there haven’t really been any egregious Best Pic animated film snubs recently (I haven’t watched Coco yet though, so maybe that got snubbed?).

I’m still pissed as all hell that The Lego Movie wasn’t nominated for best Animated film though. That was bullcrap.

Ironically this was the context behind the infamous 'chinese cartoons' quote. The interviewee was pissed off that Lego Movie didn't get a nomination and Song of the Sea/Princess Kaguya did.

In terms of Best Picture nomination snubs, well, Coco was probably a better movie than Darkest Hour....

For Unmature, I think what it's worthwhile going into on an oscars video is the oscars nomination and voting process. There's a lot of videos and articles out there criticising the Oscars in terms of 'X movie that I like should have been nommed instead' but not much that explores how this really happens and what the rules are. It's really interesting for example how Cartoon Saloon keeps getting nominations: I mean I love their films, but it's striking how they are successful despite their relatively niche status while others aren't.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 9, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fangz posted:

Ironically this was the context behind the infamous 'chinese cartoons' quote. The interviewee was pissed off that Lego Movie didn't get a nomination and Song of the Sea/Princess Kaguya did.

I don't think that Lego Movie deserved to be nominated over Song of the Sea or Princess Kaguya. Oh no. I think it deserved to get nominated instead of Big Hero 6.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, even as a guy who really liked BH6, it didn't have much business being there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Big Hero 6 occurred??

???? What the hell even happened in that movie.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

All I remember is Hiro's big bro Tadashi sacrificing himself to try and save a guy who secretly wasn't even in any danger, and that it makes the film kinda difficult for me to rewatch.

Also Fred's Dad being Stan Lee.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My fav part of BH6 is committing felony murder to get something u were going to get in about 2 weeks free and clear despite being on no real schedule.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I liked Big Hero 6 a lot and I'm glad it won the oscars.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I liked Baymax a lot and the rest of the movie was fine but I only remember a rough outline of it outside of stuff baymax did.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The animations Oscars are hosed because they are trying to do a bunch of irreconcilable things. But if you accept that the award is going to ultimately come down to a popularity based vote, it's a nonsense argument to have the nominations try and pre-empt the final vote by eliminating something that has a strong likelihood to win the final contest. You might as well make the entire thing a panel-based decision (though good luck figuring out who makes up this panel...)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Hyenas are kinda awful irl though. Whereas lions are pretty much housecats if housecats could eat you, i.e. a kind of awful people have come to romanticize, i.e. consummate royalty

Lions and hyenas inhabit the same geographic ranges in Africa and depend on the same prey as food. This competition fuels a relationship characterized by animosity. When the animals cross each others’ paths they react with hostility, sometimes without apparent reason. Observers have noted occasions where male lions seem to take pleasure in harassing or killing hyenas...Although the two species share the same geographic range, both lions and hyenas are territorial and extremely aggressive toward one another. Lions have been known to kill hyena young, and a lion entering hyena territory is dealt with swiftly and aggressively by the individuals guarding the den. Territorial disputes are frequent, and observers in Ethiopia observed a conflict of war-like proportions in April 1999. At the end of two weeks of intense fighting, six lions and 35 hyenas were dead.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Cheapsteaks posted:

So instead of a hermit sneering from the mountain top he's just a dude that goes shopping and is a dick, got it.

Maybe he's more like an internet troll type of person in this one. He could still be misanthropic and self-important and reclusive, but the context here feels more like a shut-in than a mountain hermit, and his cave is really different. In the original the rooms are much smaller, but here you get a couple shots emphasizing how oversized it is for him.

The trailer isn't interesting, and the self-referential Illumination stuff and the screaming minion at the beginning do a terrible job setting the tone, but the things he does in the trailer don't necessarily contradict him being reclusive and self-important and misanthropic and feeling justified in his behavior. It's fine if they want to show him expressing that in different ways than usual. The problem is the trailer is just kinda whatever.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The trailer isn't interesting, and the self-referential Illumination stuff

for a second I thought you were talking about like, objects casting shadows on themselves in the 3D animation or something. Like how in old pixar movies you could see specific scenes they brought out like, flocking algorithms or water pouring scenes just because that was impressive.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the trailer is just so painfully generic. Replace Grinch with just about any remotely grumpy character and it wouldn't change a thing.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 9, 2018

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I do like Grinch antics of walking into a grocery store (except the vomiting a pickle thing because gross out humor is for babies) and not being a horrible outcast thats shunned by the whos because they are the real villains

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, something doesn't seem right here and I really can't put my finger on it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, something doesn't seem right here and I really can't put my finger on it.

It's that it looks exactly as mediocre as most animated family comedies.

Unrelated: The '54 Animal Farm is still loving rad.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
Can't wait to watch the Grinch be a petty, impotent dweeb for 80 minutes.

Seeing the Grinch and Max get along is pretty great though :kimchi:

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Maybe he's more like an internet troll type of person in this one.

Can't wait to watch the Grinch be a petty, impotent, racist dweeb for 80 minutes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

K. Waste posted:

Unrelated: The '54 Animal Farm is still loving rad.

The CIA has committed a lot of atrocities, but at least they got one thing right.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The grinch isn’t even really coming out around Christmas. It could be out of theaters by Christmas

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The tag line for The Grinch should just be "look, it can't be worse than the Carrey version" with the sub header "ok, ok we can't make that promise but we 100% gaurantee it's better than the Myers' Cat in the Hat"

Unmature
May 9, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

The tag line for The Grinch should just be "look, it can't be worse than the Carrey version" with the sub header "ok, ok we can't make that promise but we 100% gaurantee it's better than the Myers' Cat in the Hat"

"But definitely not as good as Horton Hears A Who, but you know that"

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
'The GRINCH: Well if Boss Baby got a nomination'

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Boss Baby get done undeserved shade around these parts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Grinch: Seuss' Widow Wanted This!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wanna see a movie version of Halloween is Grinch Night with a 40 minute sequence in the Paraphernalia Wagon.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Das Boo posted:

Wanna see a movie version of Halloween is Grinch Night with a 40 minute sequence in the Paraphernalia Wagon.

That would be amazing but we can't have movies scaring kids these days

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’ve been meaning to watch Boss Baby, but every time I pull it up on Netflix I am instantly repulsed by the stupid boss baby’s face doing the apotheosis of the Dreamworks face and I just pull up another episode of Frasier

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If Boss Baby was made by old 2D Dreamworks or Don Bluth or something and just wasn't CG people would consider it another Cats Don't Dance

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

If Boss Baby were made by good people it'd be good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Unmature posted:

If Boss Baby was made by old 2D Dreamworks or Don Bluth or something and just wasn't CG people would consider it another Cats Don't Dance

I don't want Don Bluth making a movie about a baby, thanks.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't want Don Bluth making a movie about a baby, thanks.

quoting in agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

quoting in agreement.

Are there allegations I don't know about?