Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Long long ago when I was doing some relic grinds our of boredom, I ran whm in Titan HM. Of the seven randos I rezzed six of them at least once and also haD to throw in a healer lb3 to avoid an imminent wipe and spare me from having to do a second pull.

Guess how many comms I got :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The best part is people who don't know they can't be rezzed from the bottom and bitch about it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I have to admit it does feel kind of weird that bottomless pits in fights work completely differently depending on what side of patch 3.4 the fight was released in. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'll go back and change now though.

I'd say make them all one and done death traps but can you imagine getting Dun Scaith in alliance roulette if Deathgaze deleted half the raid every time the wind blows?

E: actually now I can't remember, did your corpse float back up if you fall while fighting Ozma or Hraesvalgr? If so it was actually 3.3 that added the training wheels.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 8, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It'd be better in every way imo, but i play sch

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I beat Titan EX as a WHM back in 2.something, via duty finder. It was extra-fun on a job with one oGCD heal, when DRG jumps still had like a three-second animation lock. :shepface:

Also, my Wildwood giraffe beat Stormblood about 9-10 months after starting it. Time for the ilvl grind once I'm done grinding on my main! :toot:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The best part is people who don't know they can't be rezzed from the bottom and bitch about it

I must be lucky, then, I haven't wiped yet on Titan Hard.

What I have been wiping on, though, is Ifrit Normal. Dps just don't kill the nail when it spawns even when the tank and I tell them to.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Cythereal posted:

What I have been wiping on, though, is Ifrit Normal. Dps just don't kill the nail when it spawns even when the tank and I tell them to.

I've wiped on Ramuh Hard, because "kill adds" is apparently a difficult mechanic to remember when you're at Lv 50.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

How in the :psyduck:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Meanwhile I am trying to level whm and I've gotten Toto-Rak off leveling rou rou three times in a row and for every tank I've had to:

-Explain that pulling with Provoke is bad
-Teach them to use flash/overpower/unleash when pulling groups
-Asked them not to stand in the poison on the final boss

2 out of 3 were really nice about it, but man if tanking is leading the party, healing is babysitting.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I beat Titan EX as a WHM back in 2.something, via duty finder. It was extra-fun on a job with one oGCD heal, when DRG jumps still had like a three-second animation lock. :shepface:

Also, my Wildwood giraffe beat Stormblood about 9-10 months after starting it. Time for the ilvl grind once I'm done grinding on my main! :toot:

I'll never understand people with multiple characters outside of world first raiders... you all crazy but you do you.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

I'll never understand people with multiple characters outside of world first raiders... you all crazy but you do you.

Why do the raiders do that? Is it so they can get first on multiple worlds / switch to worlds that haven't been firsted yet?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

If you are playing on the bleeding edge (or just really hard core and only care about raiding) then the second you get your drops on Tuesday your ff14 time is over until the reset.

Multiple accounts would at least let you get rewards for doing the content you enjoy.

E: and lets you progress your alt jobs ilevel in parallel with your main, instead of weeks after.

itskage fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 8, 2018

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

:same:

There's always RP but it's a huge time sink up to catch up to MSQ all over again then gear up before going mad.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

rujasu posted:

Why do the raiders do that? Is it so they can get first on multiple worlds / switch to worlds that haven't been firsted yet?

So you can clear twice per week to gear up faster (or so you can do sales for $$$).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rosalind posted:

2 out of 3 were really nice about it, but man if tanking is leading the party, healing is babysitting.

Welcome to playing a healer. I've mained it in every MMO I've ever played, but yeah there's bad to come with the good.

And some parts are just mixed. I had a sunken temple of qarn this morning that featured a spectacularly dumb summoner who cast nothing but bio and ruin. With the encouragement of me and the tank, he eventually started casting miasma and sending his pet to attack... sometimes, not all the time, and he certainly didn't use any aetherflow abilities despite me explaining how to use it (bane to spread dots, fester for damage).

Inevitably, he died to the mechanic on the first boss and I simply declined to rez him.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

rujasu posted:

It's stuff like being able to farm multiple times on unspoiled nodes and get the latest set of crafted gear asap. Anything limited becomes less so when you use multiple characters.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Welcome to playing a healer. I've mained it in every MMO I've ever played, but yeah there's bad to come with the good.

And some parts are just mixed. I had a sunken temple of qarn this morning that featured a spectacularly dumb summoner who cast nothing but bio and ruin. With the encouragement of me and the tank, he eventually started casting miasma and sending his pet to attack... sometimes, not all the time, and he certainly didn't use any aetherflow abilities despite me explaining how to use it (bane to spread dots, fester for damage).

Inevitably, he died to the mechanic on the first boss and I simply declined to rez him.

Every qarn has a doom death. Every. single. time.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cythereal posted:

I play healers in MMOs as well and I have always gone by the mantra of: You can't heal through stupid.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rescue

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

That's only if you feel the pubbie deserves it, though.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
smdh if you're not finding a reason to press rescue on cooldown

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I generally don't have rescue on my bars at all.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
rescuing somebody out of a mistake they inflicted on themselves is the ultimate power play/expression of silent contempt: it's basically saying "not only can i play my own character, i have spare bandwidth to keep track of your character better than you can," everyone understands it for what it is, and nobody can complain about it without looking like a huge idiot because you're being legitimately helpful

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Someone Rescued me when I zoned out during the Curtain Call cast in Syrcus. I think I felt sillier then if I had just died.

I made sure to thank them and admit to my failing. :v:

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I have never had rescue cast on me when it was actually helpful :shrug: Every single time I've seen it used its just for trolling or it's completely pointless. My favorite was the healer that kept "rescuing" people into the wrong place on Kefka and then dropped from the group immediately when somebody tried to explain the trick AoE mechanic because he got hit by the big question mark eye every time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I got rescued once on Susano Ex when i got targeted for the Stackup + knockback and had the "don't move" hullabaloo all at once. Just stood still, got knocked away, and someone pulled me back into the group for the share damage marker.

That was a random group with a solo healer, too.

edit: to be clear, this is the only time i've ever seen it used in game, whether by me or someone else.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 8, 2018

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can use rescue + surecast to improve melee uptime in shinryu ex, there's always someone who consistently can't handle leg sweep or the stack mechanic in byakko ex, it's sometimes the only way to save someone from the sephirot stack marker in fractal's second boss or the half-field aoe in fractal's first boss, and it's useful for caster uptime in hell's lid's first boss or the hex-walking AOE in hell's lid's last boss

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Reiterpallasch posted:

rescuing somebody out of a mistake they inflicted on themselves is the ultimate power play/expression of silent contempt: it's basically saying "not only can i play my own character, i have spare bandwidth to keep track of your character better than you can," everyone understands it for what it is, and nobody can complain about it without looking like a huge idiot because you're being legitimately helpful

And then there's this:
https://gfycat.com/CheerfulYearlyBluebreastedkookaburra

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Rescue people off the pads into the Ancient Flare in LotA.

Edit: ^ extremely that

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think the only time Ive had Rescue used on me was someone trying to pull me behind a rock during Behemoth and just got me killed.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

itskage posted:

If you are playing on the bleeding edge (or just really hard core and only care about raiding) then the second you get your drops on Tuesday your ff14 time is over until the reset.

Multiple accounts would at least let you get rewards for doing the content you enjoy.

E: and lets you progress your alt jobs ilevel in parallel with your main, instead of weeks after.

And just in case your alt job is better in that patch it is geared up and ready to go. There's a goon Chyea I believe, who has a monk main and a drg alt and they went drg for one of the tiers in HW with a world first guild because it was better then their monk.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I once watched my healer friend Rescue the other pubbie healer in Susan EX after watching her eat the platform splitter slash for the third time in a row.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how do the main story dungeons work now since they changed them? Besides nobody queuing for the story roulette anymore. I've got a friend approaching those wquests and I'd like them to have the best experience possible since those dungeons are pretty cool.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Verranicus posted:

So how do the main story dungeons work now since they changed them? Besides nobody queuing for the story roulette anymore. I've got a friend approaching those wquests and I'd like them to have the best experience possible since those dungeons are pretty cool.

You just cant skip the cutscenes. People are still running them since they give tons of xp.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Verranicus posted:

yeah; nothing changed beyond the fact that praetorium takes an hour now. people still rush as fast as possible through stuff, mind you, and the ilevel sync has not changed so the bosses are usually dead within less than a minute.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Sadly the “optimal” experience used to be to round up six other people to run them with you at minimum ilevel (with cutscenes), since even at synched 50 the dungeon loses a little bit from being so faceroll easy, but that’s pretty difficult to do now that the cutscenes are unskippable for everyone and they wouldn’t even get a roulette bonus out of it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

cleaning up overly busy armor models (deleting extraneous straps, mostly)

is there any other kind of strap in final fantasy though

to my everlasting shame, i had a healer actually save my life with a rescue in O6 normal. I always forget about the mechanic with the little ground eruptions that follow you around the room, so I was happily standing in it and eating poo poo before the healer saved me.

I'm pretty sure i commed the right one

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Oh my god Ragnarock looks so cool but it's such a grind to get it please kill me I want to get it so badly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally started HW in earnest, in a level 50 weapon from the Ishgard vendor and a full kit of augmented Ironworks gear, but man AST seems to hit like a wet noodle. WHM, even not using holy, felt much more potent. AST feels like it just kinda tickles things and if I don't heal myself I'm usually down to 20% or less of my HP fighting with a single mob my level.

Sea of Clouds is pretty, at least, if a pain in the rear end to get around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Cythereal posted:

a level 50 weapon from the Ishgard vendor
That's your problem right there. The level 50 weapon is technically i115, but it's NQ not HQ, so in terms of weapon damage it's more like i95 or so. Invest 500 poetics in the i120 ironworks weapon, then 100 more to upgrade it to i130, and it should feel much better.

In general buying vendor gear is a trap because they sell NQ rather than HQ gear, and this makes the largest difference for weapons because you're taking a hit in damage in addition to stats. Don't do it.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 9, 2018