Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

nitsuga posted:

Any recommendations for a delay/multi-fx pedal? I'm cool going either route. Both the Line 6 M-series and the TC Electronic X4 delay pedals look cool, and having a looper bundled in is a definite bonus. I'm also cool splitting everything into dedicated units, because all I really like is reverb and delay as far as effects go.

Also, I joined the Strat club today. Picked up '60s Classic Vibe on CraigsList. It's a proper used guitar, but that's just character. I've got to clean it up and put some 11's on it, but once I do, I'll post the pics.

For what it’s worth my CV60s Strat through my MXR Carbon Copy delay is my favorite go to sound. They work so well together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yes, they do.

Also, lol.

Called it. See a doctor.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The CV really is the way to join the strat club, isn't it? I gotta get one.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hellblazer187 posted:

The CV really is the way to join the strat club, isn't it? I gotta get one.

I had a $1,500 Strat before and like this one way more sooooo yeah gogogogo

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I had a $1,500 Strat before and like this one way more sooooo yeah gogogogo

Yeah. I mean I need to wait either until I have $800 dollars or until I'm next in the US and feel willing to risk removing the neck of a $400 instrument for shipping. Depending on my post season bonus, I might just order one to my house here. I get a twice per year exemption from import taxes on items less than $500 so I'd only pay $100ish in actual shipping costs.

The idea would be to have a strat in standard for the pop/classic rock stuff I do and then set up my LP Jr. in C or B for doomsludge

Business
Feb 6, 2007

I'm trying to build up left hand strength/dexterity still. My strategy has just been to practice switching between two chords over and over again while I'm reading or watching something or whatever. I could use some help thinking of the rudest trickiest and gnarliest chord changes to practice making. Would be nice if it's something that's actually useful but that's not necessary

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Business posted:

I'm trying to build up left hand strength/dexterity still. My strategy has just been to practice switching between two chords over and over again while I'm reading or watching something or whatever. I could use some help thinking of the rudest trickiest and gnarliest chord changes to practice making. Would be nice if it's something that's actually useful but that's not necessary

Played for 16 years. Still hate B7.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
I can't do these buggers without having to carefully place each finger

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Fierce Brosnan posted:

I can't do these buggers without having to carefully place each finger

That C Shape moved up the neck took me a long time to get comfortable with as well. State of Love and Trust by Pearl Jam was the song that got me comfortable playing it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Anyone know what specific model Al is playing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4l-uy_VPog

Custom 22 Private Stock?

poo poo it sounds good.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Called it. See a doctor.

Nearly, carpal tunnel syndrome is specifically median nerve entrapment at the wrist. What you mean is ulnar tunnel syndrome. The ulnar nerve is not in the carpal tunnel, it is in Guyon's canal.

Also worth mentioning ulnar nerve entrapment can occur at the wrist or elbow.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Hellblazer187 posted:

The idea would be to have a strat in standard for the pop/classic rock stuff I do and then set up my LP Jr. in C or B for doomsludge

Just FYI, if your Jr. has a wraparound bridge it probably won't intonate properly in B. There are lots of options for more adjustable replacements so it's not a huge deal but I thought I'd point it out.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

God drat! Why is it so hard to find someone who wants to play rock/blues in the Chicagoland area? Too much metal, I wonder if it’s something in the water.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Wrote this for my dad on Monday, which was the 10 year anniversary of his death. It’s not jazz, despite the guitar. Since I haven’t sang for so long I had to play it a looot and because my fingers are clamped down in that shape for the whole song my fingertips are numb. When I woke up this morning they were still numb so I googled and apparently this happens with new guitarists and the feeling will come back but not being able to feel anything on my fingertips freaked me right the gently caress out. Definitely shows that even practicing 3 hours a day and having played for over 20 something years the genre really makes a difference with what your hand learns to accept as being normal and my hand didn’t appreciate playing this for like 4 hours straight. Although I hope they aren’t connected, this is also the hand that I slept on and was dead for who knows how log whole I slept so I hope there isn’t a serious underlying issue going on.

Anyways here is the song. It’s in a weird tuning to accommodate the open strings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3dCtaeglE

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

Just FYI, if your Jr. has a wraparound bridge it probably won't intonate properly in B. There are lots of options for more adjustable replacements so it's not a huge deal but I thought I'd point it out.

Thank you for the tip. I've seen some of those replacements that intonate, wasn't sure if one would be necessary. But, yeah, I think there are a couple reasonably priced options at GFS.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Anyone know what specific model Al is playing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4l-uy_VPog

Custom 22 Private Stock?

poo poo it sounds good.

I do not know a whole lot about PRS, but in my limited knowledge and research, I would guess it is a McCarty. It looks like it has the Kluson style tuning keys, which seems to be common to them. And has a stop tail rather than a tremolo. Both the 22 and McCarty is available in both. But it just seems like the 22 more often has a trem. Also, I think the McCarty is considered the more expensive, refined, precise, buzzword of the two. But Could just as easily be a Custom 22 as they look a lot alike. It is definitely not a McCarty 594, which has a different control layout. But it could be anything since I am sure a touring musician like that can have one made any way he wants.

Edit: Speaking of the McCarty 594. Are there any other Gibson style double cut clones that have the control layout like that? Two volume, two tone, and the 3 way switch on the upper horn? I only know of 3 of them. I own an Agile AD that they don't seem to make anymore. Yamaha made something they called the SG back in the 80s, which was more or less a combination of the LP and SG. Epiphone makes the Tak Matsumoto signature models with it. But they leave out one of the tone knobs for whatever reason. I also see extremely low quality Chinese DIY kits just about everywhere that sells set neck kits. I am guessing it is not a very popular style, but people seem to like the PRS. Dunno. Kinda want one with p90, which I have literally never seen.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 9, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gripen5 posted:

Edit: Speaking of the McCarty 594. Are there any other Gibson style double cut clones that have the control layout like that? Two volume, two tone, and the 3 way switch on the upper horn?

buzz osborne's guitars from egc

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Mid 90s Made in Korea Epiphone LP Special, even has P90s

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
More musicianchat than guitar chat;

I bought an alto sax and intend to teach myself how to play. Tips or recommendations?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Gripen5 posted:

Epiphone makes the Tak Matsumoto signature models with it.

Side note but it boggles my mind that Gibson went and made the Modern Double Cut when they had the shape for the Tak signature model already. This thing is loving gorgeous.

I guess it's just a double cut LP but it looks different to me. I mean really, if they made those in Studio (no frills), Standard (binding, etc) and Modern (give it the heel carve, asymmetric neck, etc) it'd be a loving awesome choice for those that want a double cutaway that's not an SG.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Side note but it boggles my mind that Gibson went and made the Modern Double Cut when they had the shape for the Tak signature model already. This thing is loving gorgeous.

I guess it's just a double cut LP but it looks different to me. I mean really, if they made those in Studio (no frills), Standard (binding, etc) and Modern (give it the heel carve, asymmetric neck, etc) it'd be a loving awesome choice for those that want a double cutaway that's not an SG.

My favorite looking Gibson DC (that is not a special) is the Studio. It seems that have all kinds of notes that just make it look classic. Probably because it looks like a LP DC Special except with a carved maple top. The Modern DC looks like they were trying to be futuristic rather then elegant. And it just doesn't look good to me. I can understand why it wasn't a big hit.

Compare this:
https://reverb.com/item/8821381-gibson-les-paul-double-cut-standard-sunburst-2001

To the Modern:
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Modern-Double-Cut-Standard.aspx#MDCSPSL11128

The Tak is almost between the two in terms of shape. The upper horn looks a little closer to the Modern, but the lower horn looks more like the 2001 Standard above:
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Tak-Matsumoto-Doublecut-Custom-Ebony.aspx

widefault posted:

Mid 90s Made in Korea Epiphone LP Special, even has P90s

It is certainly towards the top of my list. But like you said, they haven't seem to make them since the late 90s. Not sure about spending $500 (plus shipping) on a used Epiphone from 2 decades ago. Or I could get a used Gibson LP DC faded for around $1000...

There is also a guitar called a Cruizer by Crafter that keeps tempting me on Reverb. It's basically the same thing, but bolt on and upper fret access that is more like the Gibson. But an off brand I have never heard of. Seems like it will just frustrate me. I think I need to just save and go for the Gibson, otherwise I will never really be happy. But I am not sure I want to spend that much on a single guitar. Just my nature I think. Might just have to stick with what I got for the moment.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
There's also Hamer Sunburst Archtops, start at ~750 new.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

widefault posted:

There's also Hamer Sunburst Archtops, start at ~750 new.

Ha. I own one in black. I always fumble over the controls. I haven't really liked it since I got it. I just like the Agile way more. It only comes in humbuckers. But putting Mean 90s in it didn't really do it for me. Maybe I just don't like P90s as much as I thought I did. Plus the action was way high, and I didn't figure that out till I had pulled the Mean 90s, so it wasn't a great player either. Could put them back I guess and give it another try. The headstock kinda looks weird on top of that, was hoping I would grow to like it. I know I am probably just being overly picky. But I like what I like, you know.

The Agile is blue. The Hamer looks a little purple in the picture but is "trans black".

Sorry, I originally asked because I was more surprised that the only big name production guitar that is a proper Les Paul Double Cut is a $4000 PRS. Then I shifted it into me lamenting about not wanting to spend money on things that weren't quite what I wanted. Oops.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It just boggles my mind how Gibson just doesn't have a double cut with features people want. I know they have the SG but as stated there's the DC Studio and Tak that look loving great. The Hamers mentioned also rock. Why does Gibson not do a proper double cut?

I do appreciate a lot of variety solid body Gibsons have; the Les Paul, SG, Firebird, Explorer and Flying V. It's just I see people asking for exactly this sort of thing so there's clearly a market for it. But nope, let's release neon Les Pauls with Floyd Roses!

Not that there's no one who wants that but they have this clear hole that they could compete with PRS and the like with. They have the shape already, they already have made them.

I don't mind the Modern Double Cut but it just puzzled me that they decided 1) it was a custom shop run, 2) it looked worse than the models they already had, and 3) despite being a custom shop run you got what you were given drat it.

I'm ranting a bit because it's a topic close to me. I love Les Pauls and Gibsons. I have my problems with them but I love them. I also love brands that have "evolutions" of the LP. Same basic idea (woods, pickups, etc) but modernised. The Hamer and Agile are good examples as long as a favourite of mine (that I'll never afford) of the b3 SL.

Even my G&L Ascari is very Gibson-esque in design. Mahogany body and neck, rosewood board, binding , two humbckers, etc. It's a different guitar but there's elements they share.

It's just weird. The Modern Double Cut wasn't a bad idea, just mediocre execution, but it looks like they're using it to say, "look, no one wants a new model!"

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

It just boggles my mind how Gibson just doesn't have a double cut with features people want. I know they have the SG but as stated there's the DC Studio and Tak that look loving great. The Hamers mentioned also rock. Why does Gibson not do a proper double cut?

I do appreciate a lot of variety solid body Gibsons have; the Les Paul, SG, Firebird, Explorer and Flying V. It's just I see people asking for exactly this sort of thing so there's clearly a market for it. But nope, let's release neon Les Pauls with Floyd Roses!

Not that there's no one who wants that but they have this clear hole that they could compete with PRS and the like with. They have the shape already, they already have made them.

I don't mind the Modern Double Cut but it just puzzled me that they decided 1) it was a custom shop run, 2) it looked worse than the models they already had, and 3) despite being a custom shop run you got what you were given drat it.

I'm ranting a bit because it's a topic close to me. I love Les Pauls and Gibsons. I have my problems with them but I love them. I also love brands that have "evolutions" of the LP. Same basic idea (woods, pickups, etc) but modernised. The Hamer and Agile are good examples as long as a favourite of mine (that I'll never afford) of the b3 SL.

Even my G&L Ascari is very Gibson-esque in design. Mahogany body and neck, rosewood board, binding , two humbckers, etc. It's a different guitar but there's elements they share.

It's just weird. The Modern Double Cut wasn't a bad idea, just mediocre execution, but it looks like they're using it to say, "look, no one wants a new model!"

It is a really good looking guitar. And the closest any Epip/Gibson has come to what I am really looking for in a guitar. They had an Epiphone version of the Tak stateside for about $800 for a while. Might get one just for the hell of it.

Looks like you can still order them actually:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...GC-adType%5EPLA

I am guessing that there really is no market for it or they would make them. Maybe if you could convince one of the "old guard" players to use one? Or maybe just Joe Bonamassa? Probably fly off the shelf. I'm guessing wanting a classic looking guitar that is not actually a classic design or used by someone the average American consumer has never even heard of is not for a brand like Gibson. They are a product of their own early success in some ways. Can't really innovate because that is not what people who buy Gibsons expect. Hell, you can't even buy a brand new the LP DC Special without going custom shop right now. And that is a design from the 50s. But I feel like this sort of discussion comes up every few pages in this thread.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It is a bit dumb and I do think Gibson customers are terrible for the most part. However I think it's for a certain combination of reasons.

1) Gibsons cost a fuckload. Only people with plenty of disposable cash can afford them.
2) These people want the guitars of their youth. I think there was a market study done and a lot of the Gibson customer was older.
3) Because they want the things they wanted since they were kids they don't see why people would want Gibson to do different things.

It's a self-perpetuating problem. The only people who buy Gibsons have money, and they want safe models. So Gibsons charges a lot and keeps it safe. When they try something different their established customer base says, for the most part, "sorry not interested." The people who'd likely be interested in it can't afford it because Gibson prices. So Gibson plays it safe and falls into the safety of knowing they have a customer base that will buy the stuff they're already making.

Rinse and repeat. Apparently the guitar division of Gibson is doing fine though so I guess they're not wrong?

I'm partially guilty of this poo poo too. I've played headless guitars and despite not hating them I was put off by the looks, so I probably won't buy one. I feel I'm a little better because I'm pretty lenient to designs re: the "traditional look" but I am still a guitarist and let's face it, guitarists are dumb.

Still not sure why they don't use Epiphone to test the waters though? Cheap enough to take a hit if it fails, plus they can make USA made versions if the demand is there. Going custom shop first all but shuts out everyone that isn't a loyal customer already, and they don't want no fancy new thangs.

Fake edit: This is all my armchair analysis though. I'm expecting someone to come in and tell me I'm dumb for X reason and that's okay too.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

Rinse and repeat. Apparently the guitar division of Gibson is doing fine though so I guess they're not wrong?

I'm not sure if this is true, isn't Gibson as a whole on the verge of default not in small part to lower guitar sales?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Still not sure why they don't use Epiphone to test the waters though? Cheap enough to take a hit if it fails, plus they can make USA made versions if the demand is there. Going custom shop first all but shuts out everyone that isn't a loyal customer already, and they don't want no fancy new thangs.

Fake edit: This is all my armchair analysis though. I'm expecting someone to come in and tell me I'm dumb for X reason and that's okay too.

You're not alone in wondering why Gibson don't utilize Epiphone in a better way but TBH they've done gently caress all with most of their acquisitions which got them into this mess in the first place. They don't seem to understand what markets are out there besides the one you mention.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gibsons are legit great sounding, great feeling guitars - it's as simple as that. I've got an Edwards tuxedo black LP with P90's and a Gibson Gold/Blackburst with Dissonant Aggressors. I was thinking about getting a '58 alike with unpotted PAF-style pickups but realistically I'm just not playing enough to justify.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So, I know agile is sort of the biggest internet recommendation for knockoff guitars that are still pretty decent. Does anyone have any experience with any of the other Rondo brands? The big chain music store in this country sells SX guitars (for $400 lol protectionism) and I've played the tele copy in the store and it seemed fine to me, but I'm not entirely sure what to look for in a tele copy. I didn't plug it in so I don't know how it sounded, I just checked how it felt doing chords and stuff and it was fine.

Another knockoff brand I'm considering is Xaviere, which is the GuitarFetish house brand. From a specs perspective they seem like a good value, but never having touched one I've got no idea. I've seen some reviews on youtube of the current models and they seem good but thought I'd ask the trusted SA Guitar Megathread if anyone's played one of them before.

After tax season I expect I will buy a guitar, or a bass, or both. If I stick to Rondo or GFS I can get both with cases and stay under my semi-annual import tax exemption and just pay freight. If they're junk, though, it'd be better to just buy one name brand thing and have a quality guitar or bass.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My xv has frets so sharp it could draw blood and is made of plywood, but was finished well and played amazing after I filed the frets, so ymmv

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Plinkey posted:

I'm not sure if this is true, isn't Gibson as a whole on the verge of default not in small part to lower guitar sales?

They keep protesting over and over again that the actual Gibson guitar brand is profitable, even though the market is down overall. Still, "making a profit" doesn't mean "doing the best they can." Apparently the other product lines are what's bringing Gibson down, but it's at least plausible they could do better in the guitar line as well. I don't really know much about running a 100+ year old guitar brand so I can't really judge, but it does seem like "offer something people want from you and that you can easily offer" would be a smart move.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

its curtains for Kevin posted:

My xv has frets so sharp it could draw blood and is made of plywood, but was finished well and played amazing after I filed the frets, so ymmv

How old is it? I've heard they've improved on the sharp frets thing in the last 1-2 years. Disappointing to hear it's plywood, though, since the product descriptions all say "solid {ash/alder/whatever}." Good to hear it played well after filing. How was the sound from the GFS pickups?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Indiscernible, the neck pup is very warm.

Mine was about 5 years old, so maybe they’re different now, like you say.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Personally, a mim fender tele or a classic player are going to be more satisfying for your under 500 options.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Speaking of Telecasters, what's going to be my best option for ~$1000? Looking at teles and Dinkys right now as my next guitar to get.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

for now, but once enough baby boomers die off they're screwed

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mr E posted:

Speaking of Telecasters, what's going to be my best option for ~$1000? Looking at teles and Dinkys right now as my next guitar to get.

Slightly used US Tele? Depends on what you're after sound wise. If you want a classic Tele a Vintage '52 should be doable for 1k USD.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

rio posted:

Wrote this for my dad on Monday

That was real, real nice, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Personally, a mim fender tele or a classic player are going to be more satisfying for your under 500 options.

I think he said he lives in Australia so the MIM Fenders are probably comically expensive.