Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

InfiniteZero posted:

Sorry but like Stephen King I was on too much coke at the time of Maximum Overdrive to remember it.

quoting a ghost post

I don't remember much of it either. Just, evil truck... and... yeah. Was there supposed to be any deeper commentary there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

When Scully's fridge started shooting ice at her, it was reminiscent of the scene in Maximum Overdrive where a vending machine shot a soda can into a guy's nuts. Then when he crouched in pain it fired the soda killshot on his forehead. Then a steamroller ran over some children.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

When Scully's fridge started shooting ice at her, it was reminiscent of the scene in Maximum Overdrive where a vending machine shot a soda can into a guy's nuts. Then when he crouched in pain it fired the soda killshot on his forehead. Then a steamroller ran over some children.

And then the Soviets save the world by shooting down the UFO that was causing the machines to go into maximum overdrive.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mendrian posted:

Okay but that technology doesn't just happen like a force of nature - somebody made it and their presence is utterly deleted from the episode.
Yes, quite deliberately. Because it's not about any one person it's about all of us and the kind of society we're creating. The robots aren't there because "someone made evil robots for some reason", they're just there to represent "the future". The episode isn't saying "watch out for technology" it's saying "we all need to be better people because one day the things we're doing now will come back to bite us". It's not about AI, it's about society.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The X-Files is no stranger to gimmick episodes, I'm not sure how this one strains disbelief more than others. There's always been a subset of episodes that are even further removed from MOTW to the point where you could question their inclusion in canon. The fun has always been to see the character reactions to these situations.

Unless you want to say Reggie really was in all those important scenes over the years.

Maybe this is the key to getting Gillian Anderson to stay--just do an entire season of "What If?" episodes, throwing Mulder and Scully into wacky situations with no mytharc or continuity whatsoever. :getin:

Mendrian posted:

Okay but that technology doesn't just happen like a force of nature - somebody made it and their presence is utterly deleted from the episode. That person is the one who bares responsibility for a robot that tries to kill people, not the people who 'taught' this robot that it's okay to harass others for their lack of generosity.

Well at some point technology might as well be a force of nature. If a robot kills somebody but the guy who wrote the original code that went bad has been dead for years, how can you make him be responsible?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I liked the ep. It was funny and a dystopian hellscape where the unitary Bezos AI has learned the most important thing, worth harassing you to death for, is to Rate This Interaction does not seem that far fetched to me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Darin Morgan: Alexa, how explicit do I have to make the point for goons to get it?
Alexa: Very. Why not spell it out in the cold open with what happened to Tay.

Anyway this might not be my favorite DM episode, I still liked it a whole bunch. It's pretty amazing that if this aired during the show's original run, it would look like crazy dystonian cyberpunk nightmare, and now it's like, yeah all this could happen any day.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

Darin Morgan: Alexa, how explicit do I have to make the point for goons to get it?
Alexa: Very. Why not spell it out in the cold open with what happened to Tay.

Anyway this might not be my favorite DM episode, I still liked it a whole bunch. It's pretty amazing that if this aired during the show's original run, it would look like crazy dystonian cyberpunk nightmare, and now it's like, yeah all this could happen any day.

It wasn't a DM one though!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They made a neural net and fed it Darin Morgan episodes and this is what came out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh, no.

It's happening.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-human-attacks-robot-cars-20180305-story.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I could've sworn I saw his name in the credits but it was Glen Morgan the director. Huh.

business hammocks posted:

They made a neural net and fed it Darin Morgan episodes and this is what came out.
Yeah

Well that's it, only a matter of time before they put us in camps.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

they dared to be stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ&t=83s

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
These kids are seriously into some Candle Cove style poo poo.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The dad of the little girl is not a very good actor

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well that was a definite step up from last week's train wreck. Those kid show mascots were just loving unsettling.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Roger Cross getting yet another paycheck for appearing on Canadaworld TV sets.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Got some heavy Are You Afraid of the Dark? vibes from Mr. Chuckleteeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1fkS1dLVhQ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Well that was a definite step up from last week's train wreck. Those kid show mascots were just loving unsettling.

Interesting take Mr... what was it?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I thought it was mr chuckle cheese because I only heard the name when children were saying it, but then I saw me chuckle teeth in the credits and it made more sense.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Mr. TruffleCheese

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I literally posted the name a few posts ago, you philistines.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A nice entry in the xfiles tradition of our heroes having literally no effect on events and just watching magic poo poo play out.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
You could have dropped this episode into any show with a MOTW format, so I guessed it was a spec script that was reborn as an X-Files episode. The writer gave an interview about it

quote:

There is a lot going on in this episode: witches, a pedophile, hellhounds, terrifying kids characters... where did the idea for all of this come from?

Benjamin Van Allen: I've always been creeped out by children's television show characters, like Teletubbies. There is another show I saw that kind of inspired the Bibble-Tiggles, as we call them in the show, called Boohbahs. A lot of kid's shows like that, when you watch them, you're like, "Holy s***. How am I letting my kid watch this? It's so weird." Kid's TV shows have always really creeped me out. I really just wanted to make a classic X-Files episode. It's a monster-of-the-week episode, but not all MOTW episodes actually have a monster. I really wanted to have some recognizable monster for the episode. That's where the Mr. Chuckleteeth guy came in. Like the classic X-Files feel, I definitely wanted to set it in a small town. I wanted to start the episode in the town with Mulder and Scully, and end the episode in the town with Mulder and Scully. As much as I love all the X-Files lore, I didn't want to see the X-Files office, I didn't want to put Skinner in this episode. I just wanted it to be a very classic, standalone monster-of-the-week episode.
Surprisingly he did write it just for the X-Files.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Sorry for barging in, but I've lost any hope for the revival in the middle of the previous season (liked the wereman one though). Does the new one have episodes that are considered good?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Monglo posted:

Sorry for barging in, but I've lost any hope for the revival in the middle of the previous season (liked the wereman one though). Does the new one have episodes that are considered good?

You should at least check out “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat”. It’s not connected to the mytharc stuff this season and it’s written by the same guy who did the Were-Monster episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GutBomb posted:

I thought it was mr chuckle cheese because I only heard the name when children were saying it, but then I saw me chuckle teeth in the credits and it made more sense.

It was more a reference to his av

Gonz posted:

I literally posted the name a few posts ago, you philistines.

You too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh poo poo I didn't even notice that. Now I feel foolish.

EDIT: Probably due to my phonepostin'.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 9, 2018

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Honestly Forehead Sweat and Rmbwhatever were both loving awesome, while the rest of the season has been relatively meh. They should just embrace being a demented version of Black Mirror because it is incredible. Actually they sort of out Black Mirror, Black Mirror in all the right ways.

So many great little moments in the automation episode. "Why is your house so much nicer than mine?!"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I've enjoyed every episode of this season except My Struggle III, and the one with the Slenderman ripoff, which wasn't bad but just kinda meh.

Best exchange this week:

Mulder: "My theory is that it's a hellhound."

Scully:

*pauses*

*stares*

"What's a hellhound?"

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I liked this one but (possibly this is a touch of 'as a parent, I') it started pretty tone deaf.

*bloody remains of mutilated three year-old*
Mulder: Witchcraft. Sweet.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm torn because the best X-Files episodes are the silly X-Files episodes, but they're predicated on subverting the serious X-Files episodes, so I don't know how well it would work if the serious ones didn't exist at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gobbeldygook posted:

You could have dropped this episode into any show with a MOTW format, so I guessed it was a spec script that was reborn as an X-Files episode.
I was thinking as I watched it that it could easily have been an episode of Supernatural. Probably with Sam as Mulder and Dean as Scully and almost no changes to the dialogue.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

business hammocks posted:

A nice entry in the xfiles tradition of our heroes having literally no effect on events and just watching magic poo poo play out.
So, this?

It was kind of strange just how...bleak this episode was. Aside from the black cop, every major character introduced in the episode died a horrible death.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked the episode, but it seemed like the writer was trying really hard to make social commentary by comparing the Salem witch trials and McCarthyism to the #MeToo movement, and it felt kinda icky and forced.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I liked the episode, but it seemed like the writer was trying really hard to make social commentary by comparing the Salem witch trials and McCarthyism to the #MeToo movement, and it felt kinda icky and forced.

Huh, I didn't read that at all.

Anyway, last two episodes have been solid compared to the rest of the season. I always enjoyed the small town mysteries in the original run.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Octy posted:

Huh, I didn't read that at all.
It was all in the low-key banter during certain scenes, for example when the party clown guy was getting beaten, and Mulder would be like "It's a witch hunt, the public indicting this sex offender before due process. But that's what America's like now, WINK." Everyone I was watching with picked up on it too, so I know I'm not imagining things.

Otherwise it felt like a solid Season 2-4 MOTW, which the exception of child murder - I'm pretty sure they've never done that before.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Otherwise it felt like a solid Season 2-4 MOTW, which the exception of child murder - I'm pretty sure they've never done that before.

Paper Hearts, Oubliette, Die Hand Der Whatsit, the Closure two-parter all spring to mind, but I don't remember the specifics behind any of them.

I do think they got all their child murder out on Millennium though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In Home they show the dead body of an incredibly mutated newborn. It’s still pretty gross-looking in 2018.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

sticklefifer posted:

It was all in the low-key banter during certain scenes, for example when the party clown guy was getting beaten, and Mulder would be like "It's a witch hunt, the public indicting this sex offender before due process. But that's what America's like now, WINK." Everyone I was watching with picked up on it too, so I know I'm not imagining things.
I mean yeah, so far that's exactly what this season has been like. They're really loving heavy handed with the social commentary. It's been a while since I watched the original series, was it always this forced and eye-roll-worthy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I mean yeah, so far that's exactly what this season has been like. They're really loving heavy handed with the social commentary. It's been a while since I watched the original series, was it always this forced and eye-roll-worthy?

Not as forced as the Donald Trump thing, but there was plenty of social commentary in the original series; it was just more broadly about the evil stuff governments get up to in real life and not specifically calling out Presidents.

• Locked thread