Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
hahahahaha why the gently caress did you go to one of the douchiest events of Tampa Bay Beer Week and expect anything less than a shitshow

People were stressed out, don't sperg out and write them off completely because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Captain Duvel posted:

tell us to stand single file like children.

Florida beer people are so awful they can't even loving stand in line right.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
We have trouble standing in lines unless we recruit random people via craigslist to stand with us

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I stood in a single file line to buy a 6 pack of full sail today, on sale for $7

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spanish Manlove posted:

We have trouble standing in lines unless we recruit random people via craigslist to stand with us
https://twitter.com/dontdrinkbeer/status/971925773178232833

nah
Mar 16, 2009

What happened at CCB

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nah posted:

What happened at CCB

3 sons tap takeover brought out more neckbeards than free cosplayer lapdance day at an anime convention

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Spanish Manlove posted:

3 sons tap takeover brought out more neckbeards than free cosplayer lapdance day at an anime convention

sorry you dressed up for nothing

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

What is wrong with Americans?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Aramoro posted:

What is wrong with Americans?

You better stfu before we use our guns on you.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

hahahahaha why the gently caress did you go to one of the douchiest events of Tampa Bay Beer Week and expect anything less than a shitshow

People were stressed out, don't sperg out and write them off completely because of it.

I expected worse at the cupcake release. Angry chair handled that like a champ.

Hell, CCB couldn't even get the Huna bottle release straight. Charging 16.04 for the bottle. So everyone paying with cash(which was most) had to wait for change and took for.ever.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
You making GBS threads on 3 Sons gives me life. Nothing funnier than hearing every single Lorida nerd with a useless palate raving about every beer Cory does. At Civil anniversary his peppermint patty stout was legitimately one of the five worst beers I tried all day and it was the longest line with several people moaning about how good it was all day.

So many people tried convincing me I shouldn't go home yesterday and should wait around for three hours for that shitshow.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Thankfully here bottle releases aren't really a thing yet, though some people are trying to make it a thing, artificial scarcity to drive up prices.

The last beer festival I was at you got your glass on the way in and just got whatever beers you fancied, no money, no tokens. It worked great, no real queues because no one was fumbling with cash etc. There was a theoretical 6 pint limit so they would get a licence but it was purely theoretical (Not that it didn't mean some full on toys out the pram tantrums from some people)

We were at the Campervan taproom last week to grab some dinner, my wife was up buying some beers and some guys actually had a go at her for buying halves. Apparently that's a thing that still happens in the TYOOL 2018.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Aramoro posted:

The last beer festival I was at you got your glass on the way in and just got whatever beers you fancied, no money, no tokens. It worked great, no real queues because no one was fumbling with cash etc. There was a theoretical 6 pint limit so they would get a licence but it was purely theoretical (Not that it didn't mean some full on toys out the pram tantrums from some people)

Wut.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
You people need to move on from beer to cigars. Less pretentiousness and no line waiting.

Edit: to not be a complete shitposter, in honor of Off Color releasing Eeek batch 2, I opened an Eeek batch 1. I honestly don't recall it tasting any different from when it was released. That said, was really good and only exploded just a little.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 9, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I'm curious to try some sours -- what's a good entry level option to look out for?

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
i really want to try eeek

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

emotive posted:

I'm curious to try some sours -- what's a good entry level option to look out for?

what region are you in?

rodenbach grand cru and lindemans gueuze cuvee renee should be easy to find in most places.

Apache
May 11, 2004

So who else is going to Huna Day tomorrow?

Should I skip 3 sons and their likely huge lines?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

what region are you in?

rodenbach grand cru and lindemans gueuze cuvee renee should be easy to find in most places.

Live in MA.

I was looking into Lagunitas Aunt Sally only because I saw it on the shelf, but it looks like my store carries at least the Lindemans so maybe I'll pick up that or both to see what the style is all about.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Allagash stuff shouldn't be hard to find around MA. Safe bet to slide into the realm of sour beer. Also grab cans of the various Anderson Valley goses.

e: wrt pints - I couldn't down more than 2-3 pints in one sitting and even then it's gotta be something like a lager/pilsner or a berliner.

edit again: :yeah: to Night Shift, shoulda remembered that

air- fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 9, 2018

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Do Americans not drink 6 pints on the regular?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

emotive posted:

Boon oude gueuze black label isn't on the crazy sour end, and is utterly delicious.

Not sure what it would cost in the US, but it shouldn't be too high.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

emotive posted:

Night Shift has been distributing Destihl stuff in cans, you can probably find it at Craft Beer Cellars, Kappys, Redstones, Julio's etc (maybe total wine too?). Also, Everweiss just started being Canned this week, so if you can get Night Shift it's a good option for beginner sour. My wife adores it and hates 90% of beer.

Allagash stuff should be pretty easy to find too.

MA breweries are hyper local generally, so the town you live in may drastically change my reccomendations too.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

emotive posted:

Live in MA.

I was looking into Lagunitas Aunt Sally only because I saw it on the shelf, but it looks like my store carries at least the Lindemans so maybe I'll pick up that or both to see what the style is all about.

Since you're in MA, some of the Springdale by Jack's Abby stuff should be on the shelves at the better beer stores, and most of it is pretty solid. Or you could go to the source to try a few things, it's a cool taproom.

e: seconding the night shift rec

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

I'm a 6 pint minimum kinda guy. With the festival is was listed as you could just drink as much as you liked. But then on the tickets it said you could only drink 6 pints and people were demanding refunds etc, despite the fact there was no way for anyone to check how much you'd had or anything.

danbanana posted:

Wut.

I assume you have beer festivals? You go hang out somewhere and drink lots of beer. Like this

https://edinburghcraftbeerfestival.co.uk/brewers/

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 9, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm a fan of Allagash and have seen some Night Shift at the store I buy from (they're pretty local) so I'll check them out.

emotive fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 9, 2018

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Most tasting festivals here in the states won't pour more than 2oz at a time. If you're getting full or half pours, they tend to be ticketed affairs. Nobody pays cash at individual booths, that'd be insane.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Shabadu posted:

Destihl stuff in cans

So I'm going to assume Destihl finally stopped loving up their packaged beers?

emotive posted:

Live in MA.

Most Lindemans you're going to find are post-sweetened lambics. They'll taste more like fruit juice than a regular lambic. As someone mentioned, look specifically for Cuvee Rene, which is a true gueuze (blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old lambic). You'll likely also be able to find Boon stuff, which I'd recommend the aforementioned Black Label, or any of their Mariage Parfait blends. Any of these are going to run you $10 to $20 per bottle, but they're all very good entry level gueuzes. Understand that "sour" isn't necessarily the prominent taste feature of these, though. "Horse blanket" is a stupid loving term but it does give an idea of what lambic kind of tastes like...

I like Aunt Sally, too. It's only slightly tart, and a good starting point if you just want to see how you like something like that. Also, just grab any Berliner Weiss you find. Those are really solid introductions to what a tart-forward beer is.

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

i really want to try eeek

Again, it will be the best beer poured at Huna Day tomorrow!

But depending where you are, you might see it. OC distros nationally through 12 Percent, and I know there were reports that the last batch a couple years ago was in NYC for a while.

Spuckuk posted:

"Beer festival" and "pints" aren't often words Americans use in the same sentence. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but fests here usually do 2-4 ounce pours. It allows you to tick more beers!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

danbanana posted:

"Beer festival" and "pints" aren't often words Americans use in the same sentence. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but fests here usually do 2-4 ounce pours. It allows you to tick more beers!

Here you get halves or 1/3rds if it's something particularly strong. Like you'll get a Teku or Craft Master at the door and fill it up. I don't know american sizes that well, is a half 10oz maybe? 2-4oz seems like a tiny amount, the idea is to hang around a drink a bunch of beers 2oz seems like way too little to be enjoyable.

Like I say the 6 pint limit was purely theoretical so they could reasonable refuse service and get a licence for the event by saying people wouldn't be that drunk.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

danbanana posted:

So I'm going to assume Destihl finally stopped loving up their packaged beers?

I didn't have a chance to have any of their stuff until recently, but didn't notice any off flavors in whatever wild sour series thing I had a couple weeks ago. Anecdote yada yada.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Captain Duvel posted:

I will not be going back to cigar City. They are the absolute worse, mis managed brewery I've ever been too. There is no need to yell at people the way they too and to tell us to stand single file like children. Also all the 3 sons beers we're awful (minus the kicked BA scoop that we couldn't try). Double scoop tasted like water.

I'm glad they yelled at nerds at the 3 Sons event

They probably had you single file to catch line jumpers

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aramoro posted:

Here you get halves or 1/3rds if it's something particularly strong. Like you'll get a Teku or Craft Master at the door and fill it up. I don't know american sizes that well, is a half 10oz maybe? 2-4oz seems like a tiny amount, the idea is to hang around a drink a bunch of beers 2oz seems like way too little to be enjoyable.

Like I say the 6 pint limit was purely theoretical so they could reasonable refuse service and get a licence for the event by saying people wouldn't be that drunk.

American beer fests are all dominated by insane stouts aged in sprit barrels which get tedious to drink past ounce 3 so just the thought of drinking six pints at a beer fest makes all of us shudder. That's 24 different samples for us and usually not possible unless it's an all day affair and most of that was sours.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Shabadu posted:

Most tasting festivals here in the states won't pour more than 2oz at a time. If you're getting full or half pours, they tend to be ticketed affairs. Nobody pays cash at individual booths, that'd be insane.

I had to google that...it's like a tenth of a pint? You'd likely be chased out of the country for doing that over here, goddamn.

A lot of (dumb) people are still angry about 13oz 'schooner' glasses for being a lovely small measure.

Does depend on the beer festival, if it's cask ale over here it will be pints, 'craft' festivals are more likely to be 13oz serves. Ticking culture is terrible goddamn.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

American beer fests are all dominated by insane stouts aged in sprit barrels which get tedious to drink past ounce 3 so just the thought of drinking six pints at a beer fest makes all of us shudder. That's 24 different samples for us and usually not possible unless it's an all day affair and most of that was sours.

My local fest isn't barrel heavy stuff and even then they do 4 oz tasters. The thought of drinking a pint of anything at a fest kind of misses the point to me: I'm there to try things. If I want a pint of 4-5 beers, I can just go to a bar.

Shabadu posted:

I didn't have a chance to have any of their stuff until recently, but didn't notice any off flavors in whatever wild sour series thing I had a couple weeks ago. Anecdote yada yada.

I was a fan of them prior to their packaging. They started off as a couple brewpubs in middle Illinois and in 2012 or so, they were doing really solid wild ales and barrel aged things. So when they started packaging a couple years later, I was pumped but the first things I had were totally hosed up: a belgian single that tasted like butter, the first few berliners like vomit, etc. I chalked it up to QA issues on the first few runs, but when I tried them again a while later, they still had problems. And considering their 500mL bottles run $15 or so, that's a lot of money to throw at an infected or poorly made beer. So I've basically written them off on packaged stuff. If you can find a keg of their BA'd stout, though... drat.

Also, they really hosed up by never packaging what might be there best beer: a low-ABV golden ale called Lawnmower.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

A particularly old school pub in Liverpool has a great selection of beers, but will sell everything by the pint. 20oz of 10% belgian triple in a glass is certainly...challenging to the liver.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

danbanana posted:

My local fest isn't barrel heavy stuff and even then they do 4 oz tasters. The thought of drinking a pint of anything at a fest kind of misses the point to me: I'm there to try things. If I want a pint of 4-5 beers, I can just go to a bar.

I would think having to go back to the bar every second mouthful would miss the point of a beer festival to me which is to drink a bunch of beers, chat to brewers, listen to music etc. Anything less than a 1/3 and you don't really get a chance to see what a beer is like after that first mouthful. I'd expect to try maybe a dozen beers at a beer festival.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

I had to google that...it's like a tenth of a pint? You'd likely be chased out of the country for doing that over here, goddamn.

A lot of (dumb) people are still angry about 13oz 'schooner' glasses for being a lovely small measure.

Does depend on the beer festival, if it's cask ale over here it will be pints, 'craft' festivals are more likely to be 13oz serves. Ticking culture is terrible goddamn.

Shown: a pint glass, a teku glass, and two random beer festival glasses which are roughly 4oz each and often don't get filled all the way

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

A particularly old school pub in Liverpool has a great selection of beers, but will sell everything by the pint. 20oz of 10% belgian triple in a glass is certainly...challenging to the liver.

One of the breweries in the North east has had to go back to 500ml bottles because northerners refuse to by 330ml ones as it's 'not a proper pint'. I'd go for a pint of a triple mind you, but it would take me some time to get through. I do love triples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aramoro posted:

I would think having to go back to the bar every second mouthful would miss the point of a beer festival to me which is to drink a bunch of beers, chat to brewers, listen to music etc. Anything less than a 1/3 and you don't really get a chance to see what a beer is like after that first mouthful. I'd expect to try maybe a dozen beers at a beer festival.

Here it's to tick as much rare poo poo as possible, socializing is limited to finally seeing your beer trade buddies in person for likely the first and last time. With the exception of the big beautiful stouts and 8%+ sours, I would love half pint pours at festivals.