Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Have the neeeeeerrreds here found anything dope worth following in the new Vulkan 1.1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ufarn posted:

Have the neeeeeerrreds here found anything dope worth following in the new Vulkan 1.1?

There's not much to talk about, nearly all of the new features in 1.1 were already available as Vulkan 1.0 extensions and just got merged into the core spec for convenience.

Support for DRM protected video streams is new I guess :toot:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

repiv posted:

There's not much to talk about, nearly all of the new features in 1.1 were already available as Vulkan 1.0 extensions and just got merged into the core spec for convenience.

Support for DRM protected video streams is new I guess :toot:

This should make it possible to have Netflix or something in VR, which is cool, I guess.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Do any consumer GPUs support any kind of multiple client virtualization (e.g. sr-iov)?

I just want to have multiple VMs use the same GPU for cuda/opencl without paying more money than a hobbyist programmer can afford

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VostokProgram posted:

Do any consumer GPUs support any kind of multiple client virtualization (e.g. sr-iov)?

I just want to have multiple VMs use the same GPU for cuda/opencl without paying more money than a hobbyist programmer can afford

No, the cheapest thing that supports it would be a FirePro or a Quadro and there may be limits on those cards.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

If you don't need the VMs to be on at the same time, just get one and share them?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VostokProgram posted:

Unfortunately that's one of the market segmentation points that they use to force you to buy a Pro-level card even if you don't need the extra hardware capabilities of it.

As Mr Shiny Pants noted, your best option (other than paying for a Pro card) is to simply spin up/down the VMs as you need them, since I can't imagine you're trying to run CUDA work on the same card with multiple sources simultaneously in the first place.

e; although if you're trying to buy one now a Quadro P4000 isn't that much more expensive than a 1070...

DrDork fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 8, 2018

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Why would Nvidia even bother releasing the next generation of GPUs when the GTX 1070/1080 are selling like hotcakes to crypto idiots?

I'm ready to replace my GTX 970 and jump right into 4K gaming without spending over $500 for a card.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 8, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Why would Nvidia even bother releasing the next generation of GPUs when the GTX 1070/1080 are selling like hotcakes to crypto idiots?

(a) crypto idiots aren't buying anymore, the buying frenzy has been way down over the 4-6 weeks and right now it's almost zero. Could turn on a dime if the price of Bitcoin doubles again, but right now it's a non-factor.

(b) it doesn't make sense to tape out a new architecture and then sit on it. It might not even make sense to lay out the architecture and then sit on it. R&D is the expensive part and those costs are sunk, once you've spent the money you might as well produce it.

(c) however good their sales are now, if they can make another step forward they can get some people to upgrade and take a chunk out of AMD's sales.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 8, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm ready to replace my GTX 970 and jump right into 4K gaming without spending over $500 for a card.

because, while good short-term, this kind of situation is extremely bad long-term and releasing the next generation at sane MSRPs would let them cut the batshit craziness down while they're still ahead.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Volta/Ampere/Turing is also made on the 12nm TMSC process, and GDDR6 traces are supposedly cheaper to lay than GDDR5X, so it's possible that the new cards will be cheaper to produce and have better margins for both Nvidia and the AIB partners.

It seems logical that the best way to exploit AMD's poor position is not by making more Pascal forever, but by putting out new products with higher margins. As AMD isn't forcing them to go all out on performance, they can tune/price the products for margin (for example cutting down the mainstream cards harder than usual to improve yield), and have plenty in the tank if AMD or Intel pull a rabbit out of their hat and actually challenge on performance.

I'm a dipshit tho so who knows.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
According to HardOCP, they're trying to just nudge AIBs to drop AMD, basically the same way Intel nudged Dell all those years ago.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/07/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That seems like a whole lot of poo poo over nothing. Absolute none of that will preclude the three big cross-platform companies from being who they are.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

_________/

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I want to upgrade, the market is crazy, I found a card that I think is about as good a deal as I might find right now but I'd like to sanity check with y'all before I impulse buy something for $700.

Is $700 reasonable for a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD Video Card, or am I mistaken?

"Reasonable" given current circumstances, of course.

(For example, I note that the name doesn't have "Ti" in it. Am I mistaking this card for much more powerful version?)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1080 non tis went for 490-530 before butts

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

1080 non tis went for 490-530 before butts

try as low as $420-430 pretty regularly, historic low was $390

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I paid 700 dollars for my 1080 on launch month, 2 years ago. I'm not disappointed at the price I paid because I got 2 years from it. I'd be disappointed to get one now though, it's upgrade time in a matter of months.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

craig588 posted:

I paid 700 dollars for my 1080 on launch month, 2 years ago. I'm not disappointed at the price I paid because I got 2 years from it. I'd be disappointed to get one now though, it's upgrade time in a matter of months.

drat, I didn't realize it had been going in the low $400s previously.

My calculus with respect to the fact that new cards are coming in a few months is:
1) I'm currently on a 770 GTX and it chugs, so I'm quite ready to upgrade
2) The coiners are going to be on the new cards like flies on poo poo anyway, so my chances of actually getting one are low

Does that seem reasonable or do you think not waiting is simply a mistake?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

My calculus with respect to the fact that new cards are coming in a few months is:
2) The coiners are going to be on the new cards like flies on poo poo anyway, so my chances of actually getting one are low

1080 Ti's will probably flood the market soon after the new stuff comes out when the buttminers dump 'em.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

You'll be able to buy a 1080Ti for <$300 once the new cards come out which will be both soon and in large supply without a doubt. You'll be able to walk across a river on the backs of 6gb 1060s.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 9, 2018

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

TBF that was the Gigabyte that had the worst cooler out of all the blower coolers IIRC and was only good if you were considering water cooling.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I want to upgrade, the market is crazy, I found a card that I think is about as good a deal as I might find right now but I'd like to sanity check with y'all before I impulse buy something for $700.

Is $700 reasonable for a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD Video Card, or am I mistaken?

"Reasonable" given current circumstances, of course.

(For example, I note that the name doesn't have "Ti" in it. Am I mistaking this card for much more powerful version?)

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 9, 2018

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Hello everyone,

Please just tell me what month I should start looking to buy a 1060 6gb. I too have a 770 2gb and am looking to upgrade, and according to this last page there might be a new release soon? Also if there's a better/cheaper card for non 4k gaming I'd love to know. I'm honestly not sure if I'd even need 6gb vram for poo poo like Bf1 on ultra. All I know is that my 2gb feels pretty "meh" and my game is constantly being throttled by something.

Also, anyone have cpu recs? I figured after the spectre/meltdown shut prices would have dropped a little, but nope. Last time I bought a cpu was in 2014 (i5 4690) so I'm out of the loop.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
We're on the verge of a generational shift in GPUs. As for CPUs, that market is pretty well laid out but maybe wait and see what the i5-8500 is before buying anything. Don't buy less than 6c/6t.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Hello everyone,

Please just tell me what month I should start looking to buy a 1060 6gb. I too have a 770 2gb and am looking to upgrade, and according to this last page there might be a new release soon? Also if there's a better/cheaper card for non 4k gaming I'd love to know. I'm honestly not sure if I'd even need 6gb vram for poo poo like Bf1 on ultra. All I know is that my 2gb feels pretty "meh" and my game is constantly being throttled by something.

Also, anyone have cpu recs? I figured after the spectre/meltdown shut prices would have dropped a little, but nope. Last time I bought a cpu was in 2014 (i5 4690) so I'm out of the loop.

It's hard to say when. Going by past launches, nvidia is unlikely to launch a 2060 any time soon. The initial launch would probably be a 2080 and a 2070, followed by mid-range cards months later. And few if any 1060s are being produced at this point. The 1060 is only barely worth mining with (about $1/day, before electricity) so I don't think it is miners buying them out but supply just being non-existent. I also hold the view that the mining bubble popped a month ago, and that demand has remained so high because of GPU use in HPC continuing to snowball. The shortage was caused by mining, but is continuing because of increasing HPC demand, with production problems caused by the RAM price fixing that is also going on.

Also the 6GB has like 10% more cores than the 3GB so it is a bit faster even in cases where VRAM isn't a bottleneck. Even at 1080P, there are already certain games that struggle with 3GB. Most likely just bad optimization but still, going forward this situation is going to get worse not better. I personally wouldn't buy any gaming GPU that has <4GB of VRAM at this point. I also do not agree that the 1060 is the "1080P card" that people see it as. Plenty of games will struggle at High/Ultra settings on a GTX 1060 even at 1080P. Hell, if the FF15 benchmark close to being right, the 1070Ti I replaced the 1060 with isn't even capable of delivering 60fps at 1080P.

BF1 is also very CPU-heavy (all recent BF games are). Sounds like you have the non-K i5 4690 so overclocking isn't an option, since your CPU is still very capable. Most games, even in the near future, are not going to be very CPU demanding because the AMD Jaguar in both the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro runs like a dog, so unless they don't want their games to run well on consoles, they can't really push the CPU very hard.

If you do upgrade the CPU, and it is strictly for gaming, I'd still go with Intel. AMD Ryzen has about 10% slower single threaded performance than your current i5, and also struggles to clock past 4.1Ghz. Certain games need good single threaded performance because they aren't optimized too well for multi-threaded. For example, WoW is heavily bottlenecked by single-threaded CPU performance. The positive side to Ryzen is you get more cores/dollar, so more multithreaded performance/dollar than Intel.

Overall I'd recommend
-Keep your CPU, wait until you can get 8 cores and single-threaded performance equal to what you already have. So probably later in 2018 with Zen2.
-Save up for a GTX 2070, even for 1080P, because the 1060 is just gonna be a frustrating experience in the future since the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X stepped up their specs and developers will be targeting them

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Alpha Mayo posted:

Hell, if the FF15 benchmark close to being right, the 1070Ti I replaced the 1060 with isn't even capable of delivering 60fps at 1080P.

The FF15 bench wasn't optimized at all, and the "High" setting turns on every Nvidia Gameworks™ feature, like Hairworks (which eats 15% of your performance alone, even when the yaks aren't onscreen. the characters don't even use it), Turfworks, and a bunch of other crap.
The actual demo that came out is supposed to be much improved with object culling, and hairworks only turns on when it's needed now. Plus there will be the inevitable driver optimizations.
My 1060 6gb (OC'd to ~2GHz) can hit a stable 60 on the "Standard" setting in the bench. With some tweaking (lower aliasing and no Hairworks), 60 with high textures and tessellation should be possible.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 9, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Agreed that a 1060 isn't good enough for most 4k gaming on high end PCs. Probably the 1070 is minimum for that.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

There are quite a few games, current gen ports/side releases that will use that 6GB and look amazing doing it. Not really future proofing anymore. I don't really think buying anything is worth the cost right now though. Got my 1080 a few weeks after release (using alerts and lots of idle refreshing) at $630. Wait and go through the hassle then, you'll have a top end at release instead of low end of the previous.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Yep, you're right.

I'll keep waiting. Thanks for the advice, all.

*grumbles something about Eth*

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

more like

but yeah $700 is way too much for a 1080 even right now, I'd say the going rate is $600-650, and that's still a dumb price this late in the cycle

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I wouldn't be surprised if we are 6 months from general availability of next gen GPUs/firesale of the 10xx series. I wouldn't buy retail right now unless you can find MSRP (and then I'd recommend flipping), but if you are in a strong need I'd suggest a used 980ti. You can usually find them in the 350-450 range, they give you basically 1070 performance with poor thermals being the only real drawback. Very good for 1080p and 1440p.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ItBurns posted:

_________/

Admittedly, I'm just looking for an excuse to finally pick up a new display for UI/UX grad school in the fall, and it seems obvious that it's 4K or bust at this point.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Admittedly, I'm just looking for an excuse to finally pick up a new display for UI/UX grad school in the fall, and it seems obvious that it's 4K or bust at this point.

8k or bust.

Dell 32" 8k Ultrasharp Monitor

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ItBurns posted:

You'll be able to buy a 1080Ti for <$300 once the new cards come out which will be both soon and in large supply without a doubt. You'll be able to walk across a river on the backs of 6gb 1060s.

I don't follow this logic. Older GPU prices are up across the board as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

OhFunny posted:

I don't follow this logic. Older GPU prices are up across the board as well.

he did a sarcasms

it was even more confusing before he edited in the charts

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Agreed that a 1060 isn't good enough for most 4k gaming on high end PCs. Probably the 1070 is minimum for that.

1080 min for proper 4k gaming, and even that can be a bit of a crap shoot at times. If you have a G-Sync monitor a 1070 might be ok if you're willing to drop quality a lot.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Paul MaudDib posted:

he did a sarcasms

it was even more confusing before he edited in the charts

Oh. :geno:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
So apparently AMD Virtual Super Resolution [VSR] only supports the resolutions listed here:

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

Is the NVIDIA equivalent (DSR) limited to the same resolutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im going to be gone for a whole year and hope that when I come back the crypto currency market has died its last death because its about time I upgrade