Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Godspeed, Id. Thanks for the LP. It was one hell of a ride.

Bless this game, honestly, for being such a drat good follow-up to Nier.

God drat, I was even spoiled for what Ending E involves, but seeing it in action was something else. I admit, I got a bit teary eyed when I saw the rescue offer.

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Godspeed You! Dark Idperor.

The only downside to this LP is that ratings only go up to 5.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I forgot the other thing I wanted to gush about; "Life is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment" is one of the best lines ever written.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Man, even when I was getting my rear end blown away during those credits I was still having fun with it. Especially shooting down the Squeenix logo multiple times. And of course The Weight of the World was amazing as always, especially when the chorus kicked in.

Good work as always Id. I loved this poo poo, as with pretty much every previous game you've LP'd. Hope to see you at it again sometime (though if not, whether soon or at all, we'd understand).

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for LPing, TDI.

All in all, the first Nier hit me more emotionally. But this ending, and going from deleting your file to save a character to deleting your file to save your fellow players, is absolutely incredible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If this has all happened before, and will all happen again, there are approximately 54.21 hojillion curious machine human space capsules hurtling through infinity.

So, you know, there's something to think about.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I have some funny stories with this ending.

First time I saw the prompt "do you want to save the androids" I immediately perked up and started mashing A like a motherfucker.

Then the crappy PC port crashed twice during the fight, and I initially thought it was Yoko Taro doing an I wanna be the guy.

Anyway, if you guys see a little pointer named Dictatorhat, that's me! Hope I helped someone in the thread!

Thanks for the LP DarkId.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
The question is:

Has anyone had DarkId help them during this fight?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Whoa, wait, wait, wait.... what exactly does it mean when it says, it'll use your data to "save" someone? Does someone randomly wind up with your cash and weapons? Is your save sent out to anyone who opens a ticket asking for help?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

painedforever posted:

Whoa, wait, wait, wait.... what exactly does it mean when it says, it'll use your data to "save" someone? Does someone randomly wind up with your cash and weapons? Is your save sent out to anyone who opens a ticket asking for help?

Your data becomes one of the extra shooters that protects another player when they accept help in Ending E

Finishing Ending E is a group effort :unsmith:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

painedforever posted:

It means that your save data was used to help someone else beat Ending E. All those extra ships that showed up when the chorus kicked in are from people who beat Ending E and subsequently gave up their save data to help someone else beat that ending.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wonder if they had backup plans in place if no one ever, ever chose to delete their save and/or enter a message.

I wasn't left emotional by this ending like a lot of you guys, but I was dazed a little bit once I realized the scope of what was actually going on. Like it wasn't an emotional moment but more of a kind of dawning realization while going "Yoko Taro you motherfucker you did it again."

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

McStephenson posted:

The question is:

Has anyone had DarkId help them during this fight?

Right now I'm wondering if you can save other players across platforms. If not I'll never be saved by Id or vice versa, since he did this with the Steam version while I was on PS4. Tragic!

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

I loved this ending. I'm not good at shmups, so I was getting a little depressed by all my dying to get through the credits, but then the other ships join and the chorus swells, and it was a glorious moment of realizing this was the point. It all led to a message about how we're not alone and we need each other. Definitely one of the most memorable endings in a game for me.

Thanks, I'd, for the lp.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
This ending is so beautiful and perfect that it actually made me tear up. I kinda can't believe that Platinum Games can now claim that they had the two best final bosses in game history (Nier Automata and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance).

EDIT: Holy poo poo, "NIER's data has been lost" in TDI's video. Goddamn.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 9, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beefstew posted:

This ending is so beautiful and perfect that it actually made me tear up. I kinda can't believe that Platinum Games can now claim that they had the two best final bosses in game history (Nier Automata and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance).

EDIT: Holy poo poo, "NIER's data has been lost" in TDI's video. Goddamn.

I saw that when I went out. I think a lot of people went with the reference.

And yeah. Hell of an ending to an excellent game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You can refuse the call for help, too, and try to beat the credits on your own.

It's borderline impossible since the last few names have huge HP pools and spew so many bullets, I couldn't do it and had to eventually ask for help. Having the chorus kick in made me realize I was a fool for not asking for help.

Scaramouche posted:

I wasn't left emotional by this ending like a lot of you guys, but I was dazed a little bit once I realized the scope of what was actually going on. Like it wasn't an emotional moment but more of a kind of dawning realization while going "Yoko Taro you motherfucker you did it again."

Understanding the scope of what was happening was super cool, since the game doesn't tell you anything and you just piece it together on your own, but I didn't realize they were all other people's deleted saves until the game asked if I would delete mine, at which point I was pretty choked up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That was cool. Good on you Yoko.

So what the hell happened in A2's ending?

mega330
Jan 8, 2016
So, I didn't put my data out there first time through, wanting to get the last of the weapons first.
I didn't end up going back, much to my shame, until now. Now, My data is up there, So if someone gets a message from Mega330 from Avalon, just know, that I'm with you.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Great job with this! Also it reminds me that I need to finish my replay of Terranigma at some point, since that's one of the other few games I can think of besides these that has you consciously erasing the protagonist from existence in order to help others. (Though Terranigma itself didn't remove any of your saves.)

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

PC or PS4? It might be a network connection/psplus required thing to get your name/message out before deleting everything...

Oh, that might be it... PS4, but it was before he'd made a PSPlus account.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I didn't delete my save, but partially because I never did go back to complete it all. For me, it was also because "They got their happy ending. I'm not going to touch it ever again, now." One other game shares that status of "Beat the base game, don't want to complete it now because... I don't want to ruin it."

That's Undertale, but whatever. Thanks for the LP!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
... snurfle.

Thanks, Id.

make not the watchers cry like horrible little babies with teeth

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I was pretty drunk when i hit ending E, but I somehow managed to enter some drunken zen and make it to the business division without a hit- believing that since this is Yoko Taro, one hit would mean starting the whole thing over. This part was truly loving magical, and I super enjoy watching and seeing other people's first reactions to this. Everything about this game's production was a miracle, and the ending is just the perfect loving capstone.

Thanks for the ride Yoko Taro, and thanks for another lp Id.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

U-DO Burger posted:

Your data becomes one of the extra shooters that protects another player when they accept help in Ending E

Finishing Ending E is a group effort :unsmith:

Okay, that's pretty incredible.

I'm guessing that the extra shooters are completely anonymous?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Each time you get shot, one of the extra shooters takes the hit for you, and it tells you whose game data just got deleted.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

painedforever posted:

You see their names when they die.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

painedforever posted:

To expand on the above:
They get an identifier beside any message they submit, in the form of the save file name and (steam?) username, the latter only displaying when viewing the death screen for a while, along with a place of origin (that is fully customizable). The file name also gets printed out as "X's data was lost" when ships get hit.

I find it interesting that apparently a bunch of people called their file NIER, similar to Id's "niera" as seen in the commentary video, hence we see "Nier's data was lost" pretty often. That, or it's something from the default set of names. Either way, it gives the impression that we're losing something about the character, simply by an odd bit of coincidence.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The thing that gets me just the most about this nearly perfectly constructed ending is how it’s the same person at the forefront urging you on from the start and then it’s that person who offers to rescue you. It makes it feel so personal, like they’ve been watching your attempts.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

painedforever posted:

Go watch the video already, these aren't questions you'd be asking if you did.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Scaramouche posted:

I wonder if they had backup plans in place if no one ever, ever chose to delete their save and/or enter a message.

As far as I know there are permanent developer implemented ghosts to help people, and they also show up if you're offline when you do Ending E I believe.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I ran through about two dozen people's save files because I'm THAT bad at shooters and also I was bawling.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I, too, did not delete my save, but in my defense I'd been playing all night to power through the end of the game and it was 8 in the morning before I finally got through it.
To say I was :stare: at Ending E would not be remiss. I was not in any condition to make any decisions regarding deleting my save. I should fix that, soon.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Got around to catching up with the LP. Fantastic work. Even if I did get Ending E spoiled by some dipshit guest on the Giant Bombcast blurting it out.

...! posted:

Choosing not to destroy your save file is the pragmatic choice and you should be ashamed for telling people to shame people who choose this correct option.

Of course if you absolutely have to be sappy then you can let it delete your save then just redownload your save from the cloud.

It should also be noted that it deletes all your saves, not just your current one. So if someone else is also playing the game on your machine then their save will be deleted as well regardless of their progress through the game. So be prepared for the person to be pissed at you.

:goonsay:

What's it like to consistently be the worst poster in this thread?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Sindai posted:

I forgot the other thing I wanted to gush about; "Life is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment" is one of the best lines ever written.

The best part is that it was Pod 153 that seemed to understand the concept best.

As in, 9S' pod. Presumably through observation.

The game ends with one last low-key dunk on 9S.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
This sounds like the right time to (finally!) post the trailer that plays if you stay at the title screen for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQwMLWEJrg

Count all the spoilers for route C

Kassad fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 9, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nohman posted:

Got around to catching up with the LP. Fantastic work. Even if I did get Ending E spoiled by some dipshit guest on the Giant Bombcast blurting it out.

:goonsay:

What's it like to consistently be the worst poster in this thread?

How do you live your life, falling for obvious bait like this all the time?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
given what was quoted, falling for someone just pretending to be willfully stupid isn't all that shameful

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thank you for the LP. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm in a really lovely place right now and few things manage to connect with me these days, but even I teared up when the chorus kicked in. I'm really lucky I didn't get spoiled on this and I'm glad that it was a legitimate surprise. Yeah, I'd expected one last minigame, save game deletion and some fourth-wall breaking but not like this.

This is the closest the franchise has ever been to a happy ending, isn't it? Yoko-san is getting soft. :unsmith:

• Locked thread