Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

InternetJunky posted:

Well poo poo

I guess it's a good problem to have.
If I'm honest, I'm not such a fan of the later batch. As a general rule, I don't think side-on shots of birds in flight particularly work for the reason touched on by President Beep; when you can't see both wings sufficiently, combined with a bird looking ahead so you get a profile, it all ends up feeling a bit off. Unfortunately the one-time I got to observe and photograph a wild GGO, I ended up with side-profile flight shots of the type I just said I don't like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
A pretty "meh" picture, quality-wise, but I really like that I captured the little bugger just about to catch a bug. I also like that I managed to actually snap a picture of a small bird on the wing like this--it's challenging!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InternetJunky posted:

Current problem -- which picture do I pick for printing?

These two, with a slight preference to the on taking off from the post.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

President Beep posted:

They were walking around like they owned the goddamned place, that's for sure. I'm a yankee from the frozen north, so seeing these guys strut around was really cool and novel.

In the area I grew up in, crane jams were a regular thing. Because sometimes you'd get a flock of them just slowly walking down the middle of the road with nary a care for the world and it's illegal to just gun the gas and run the dumb fuckers over.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Internet Junky, steal Velocibacon's idea: composite the images.

Taking off - flying - flying - flying - looking down

Standard aspect ratios are for suckers. Make a horizontal banner.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
So on a scale of 1 to gouge my eyes out, how over processed are these?

Briones Lego-3595 on Flickr

Briones Lego-3628 on Flickr

Briones Lego-3638 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

So on a scale of 1 to gouge my eyes out, how over processed are these?

Briones Lego-3595 on Flickr

Briones Lego-3628 on Flickr

Briones Lego-3638 on Flickr
The only thing that really stands out to me is in the darker parts of your background where it looks like noise reduction has created some unpleasant artifacts. However, I'm probably the wrong person to be listening to since I'm usually guilty of over-processing my photos as well. I like the first two, especially the second given your choice of crop.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’m of a similar mind to IJ. The framing/composition of the second one is neat, and I rather like the shallow DOF of the first one—gives it a nice, artistic touch.

Only the third one seems really over processed to me. The net results of the first two are cool.

e: I’d also like to mention that the colors are really nice, especially as I survey the blasted winter hellscape that is my backyard. That looks like an awesome location.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 18, 2018

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Personally I don't like it at all, and what probably bothers me more is I can see that there are good pictures under those harsh tones.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't like it as much as I'd like it less processed.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Had an interesting visitor to the backyard today, in what I think was a juvenile male Pine Grosbeak. Apparently they don't regularly show up in the Great Lakes region, and prefer to hang out further north. Actually a house finch. Thanks to BetterLekNextTime for the assistance.

Little guy was a bit of a mooch, too.

You gonna finish that? by President Beep, on Flickr

President Beep fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 19, 2018

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those are House Finches- tricky species because they are so variable in appearance. Grosbeaks have even huger beaks than that.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Those are House Finches- tricky species because they are so variable in appearance. Grosbeaks have even huger beaks than that.

Hey, it looks like you’re right! Thanks for the clarification. I’m even newer to bird spotting than I am to photography, so I had a sneaking suspicion I was misidentifying.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Grosbeaks would also have more white on the wings.

Found a Great Grey Owl on my first attempt looking for one. Weather was weird this afternoon, sun, then snow, then sun, then wind blowing snow to almost whiteout conditions in some spots, these are from a 45ish minute span. Didn't get to see it hunt, it retreated back into the forest away from the road, then I spent 3 hours driving around looking for more to no avail

Great Grey Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Found a Great Grey Owl on my first attempt looking for one. Weather was weird this afternoon, sun, then snow, then sun, then wind blowing snow to almost whiteout conditions in some spots, these are from a 45ish minute span. Didn't get to see it hunt, it retreated back into the forest away from the road, then I spent 3 hours driving around looking for more to no avail

Great job finding one. I think the wind drove them back into the trees for shelter today. Great shots, but that first one is especially fantastic. It's super rare to get them with some pine trees as the background, and to have it snowing as well while on a natural perch makes me pretty jealous.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback on the goldfinch photos everyone. No substitute for nice lighting and closer birds.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Finally got a good picture of this hawk!

Hawky Hawk by MerryMark, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some superb fairy wrens have taken up accommodation outside our apartment building.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some more Queensland locals, Rainbow Lorikeets and Red-Winged Parrots

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Brown honeyeater.

Superb fairy wren taking a break from controling his wenches.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

toggle posted:

Superb fairy wren taking a break from controling his wenches.

That is an awesome picture.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

President Beep posted:

Echoing this.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It really is.

Worth a canvas with a black frame, even

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Submarine Gull by Ron Lee, on Flickr

Farcical Aquatic Ceremony by Ron Lee, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

President Beep posted:

Thanks guys :) They're really fun to shooot since they have a real cheeky personality.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

So I think I may have taken my favourite owl photo yet:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That owl's definitely mean-mugging you.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

daaaaaaaaaaamn.

I went out to Banff to check out the sunny beaches of Canada at Boom Lake this weekend and found a couple Clark's Nutcrackers puffing up to stay warm in the snow and cold
Clark's Nutcracker by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

well drat

hope you're gonna submit that to a few bird/nature photography awards contents

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

The legs look like cat legs.

I went to check on a hummingbird nests that I found a little while ago in a local park. I'd gone twice, and the female seemed to be on eggs. I figured she should have hatched them by now, but no activity :( Either somebody ate them or she gave up after the rainstorm that swept through.

Only decent bird pic...

Tilden Black Phoebe-3869 on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This truthful observation makes me feel dumb for making fun of Rush's Flight by Night cover art when I was younger because the cartoon owl looks like it has paws.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

InternetJunky posted:

Man, clean your sensor. There's all kinds of noise in that shot. You bastard. I've never even seen an owl in my area, let alone got a shot as nice as this.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

The literal translation of the chinese word for owl is Cat Headed Eagle, maybe they are on to something

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

;)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Ugh. I really can’t wait for the warmer weather, and hopefully some sunshine with it, to get here. I snapped this picture of a nuthatch the other day when the sun was actually out for a bit. Most days it’s overcast here in the winter, and my Rebel/slow zoom lens combo really doesn’t seem to cope well with the subsequent high Iso shooting conditions.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

President Beep posted:

I really can’t wait for the warmer weather, and hopefully some sunshine with it, to get here.
Warmer weather is a mixed blessing for me. On one hand I'm not slowly dying while I take pictures, on the other hand -- no owls. I've been going out as often as possible since this has been a great year for Great Greys. Here's a mix from last weekend and today:

Apparently there is such a thing as a photo being "too sharp".

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Truly awesome. That pure white snow backdrop almost gives this a studio feel. You may have shared this before, but how do you go about finding owls so “easily”? I never see them when I’m out and about.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

President Beep posted:

Truly awesome. That pure white snow backdrop almost gives this a studio feel. You may have shared this before, but how do you go about finding owls so “easily”? I never see them when I’m out and about.
Thanks. As for finding owls, "easy" isn't a good word to use. For species like Great Greys, once you find an area where there are a few around (check ebird for this) then it's just hours of driving to hopefully luck out and find them when they are out hunting. Today for example I drove around 400km and found one. Luckily he was happy to let me shoot him while he went about his business, but just as often they piss off just as you get all setup and ready to shoot.

For other owls it basically varies from species to species. A lot of them are truly nocturnal so it's really difficult. Around here I can go out when the temperature gets crazy cold (-30 and below) and find those nocturnal owls sometimes during the day, otherwise I'd never see them.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Thanks. As for finding owls, "easy" isn't a good word to use. For species like Great Greys, once you find an area where there are a few around (check ebird for this) then it's just hours of driving to hopefully luck out and find them when they are out hunting. Today for example I drove around 400km and found one. Luckily he was happy to let me shoot him while he went about his business, but just as often they piss off just as you get all setup and ready to shoot.

For other owls it basically varies from species to species. A lot of them are truly nocturnal so it's really difficult. Around here I can go out when the temperature gets crazy cold (-30 and below) and find those nocturnal owls sometimes during the day, otherwise I'd never see them.

It's a whole lot easier to look for birders who have found an owl, rather than to look for an owl. drat things blend in so well, so look for a vehicle with a big-rear end tripod sitting next to it, I've found 2 or 3 owls that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Canyon Turkey Trio-4077 on Flickr

Wildcat Junco with a sweet tooth-4473 on Flickr