Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Waltzing Along posted:

The worst part of that is it is legislated morality which sucks. gently caress liberals. Pretty much no one other than fart sniffing rear end in a top hat libtards like the bag tax.

Why can't we have legislated morality that actively hurts minorities, LGBTQ folk and those who are needlessly otherized because of pointless 200 year old social stigmas, like a good god-fearing conservative state? Legislated morality that is intended to help the planet is just wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FCKGW posted:

mom is that you?

I thought only my mom used phrases like that.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

The worst part of that is it is legislated morality which sucks. gently caress liberals. Pretty much no one other than fart sniffing rear end in a top hat libtards like the bag tax.

FYI you are one of the idiots on the right

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
For real though I voted for the bag tax and I thought it was a good idea. My ADHD just makes it hard for me to keep up with poo poo like that so the majority of non brain problems people probably do just fine with it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

acksplode posted:

FYI you are one of the idiots on the right

Actually, no. I have views on both sides like any sane person. Party line politics is dumb as gently caress.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Waltzing Along posted:

Actually, no. I have views on both sides like any sane person. Party line politics is dumb as gently caress.

Centrist and Right wing.

Both sides.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Of the many, many mistakes the politicians and voters have foisted on us, the Plastic Bag Ban and Tax is easily the most nefarious, hateful, and directed. No longer are Californians able to go to the store without wondering: Will this be it? Is it my time? I, too, have had this worry. Like many of those gathered here, I have bought groceries. I know, I know, we all have servants to do this, but I find a perverse pleasure in buying my own home goods. Who can hate the lovely can of Cambell's soup? The joyful Ziplock? The gregarious Pedigree Dog Chow? It was with these images in mind I went to the store to fulfill my addiction to plastic bags. As I gathered my hard won resources the worry crept in. I looked to my right hand and saw it held naught but a 24 rack of Bud Light Lime. I looked to my left and saw it grasping a single Hungry Man frozen dinner. Ignoring the growing terror in my throat I approached the cashier. Would this be my time of ending? With a detached mind, I saw them sweep my food across the scanner. I saw them look down the belt, then at me. I saw them mouth the words, those terrible words. I nodded. I paid. I am humiliated, a mere husk of what I had been. I knew then that the government had gone too far, that our freedoms had been curtailed. The divine right of kings had been abrogated and humanity now wanders in the dark, ready to die from whatever blow strikes us.

When we banned the Bags, we banned ourselves.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Reactionary repulsion at being forced to pay for the externalities of your decisions is conservative, sorry

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

acksplode posted:

Reactionary repulsion at being forced to pay for the externalities of your decisions is conservative, sorry

Yeah, so? And being pro choice is liberal. I can do this all day.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Of the many, many mistakes the politicians and voters have foisted on us, the Plastic Bag Ban and Tax is easily the most nefarious, hateful, and directed. No longer are Californians able to go to the store without wondering: Will this be it? Is it my time? I, too, have had this worry. Like many of those gathered here, I have bought groceries. I know, I know, we all have servants to do this, but I find a perverse pleasure in buying my own home goods. Who can hate the lovely can of Cambell's soup? The joyful Ziplock? The gregarious Pedigree Dog Chow? It was with these images in mind I went to the store to fulfill my addiction to plastic bags. As I gathered my hard won resources the worry crept in. I looked to my right hand and saw it held naught but a 24 rack of Bud Light Lime. I looked to my left and saw it grasping a single Hungry Man frozen dinner. Ignoring the growing terror in my throat I approached the cashier. Would this be my time of ending? With a detached mind, I saw them sweep my food across the scanner. I saw them look down the belt, then at me. I saw them mouth the words, those terrible words. I nodded. I paid. I am humiliated, a mere husk of what I had been. I knew then that the government had gone too far, that our freedoms had been curtailed. The divine right of kings had been abrogated and humanity now wanders in the dark, ready to die from whatever blow strikes us.

When we banned the Bags, we banned ourselves.

I'm cheap enough that if I forget a bag I'll whip off my jacket and turn it into a sad lumpy kinda-bag thing but at least that way Big Bag won't see ONE GODDAMN DIME of my HARD EARNED MONEY

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Waltzing Along posted:

Not in the 4 main metro areas. That's why I said Fresno. Seriously, Fresno is your best bet without huge prices. And that is probably going to change soon once people realize that it's the last place that is cheap and decent.

Don't let these people get you down on Fresno. It's got its problems, but in terms of pros, it is the best price/benefit place left in the state.
nah sac is where its at and most underappreciated, even tho its becoming a hotspot in the past 5 years. a bunch of friends have moved out to like west sac and you can get a pretty decent place for $300-450. and its more conveniently located, diverse, not as awful weather or allergies as fresno, and again better located with a lot more job prospects.

midtown is overrated and overpriced tho

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

"Socially liberal but economically conservative" is code word for "I am a piece of poo poo human being"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tuxedo Gin posted:

"Socially liberal but economically conservative" is code word for "I am a piece of poo poo human being"

I'm not economically conservative, either. I just hate the bag tax. I think it is the wrong way to go about getting people to conserve. See what I did there? Conserve.

Punishing people is not the way to promote change. Reward people for bringing their own bags. You want to help the environment? Do massive ad campaigns about how much cattle farmer fucks things up across the globe along with how eating too much beef isn't healthy, either. But that won't happen because gotta eat hamburgers.

And yes, I have put my money where my mouth is. I don't eat beef any more for that very reason.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Wow I don't think I ever bothered putting someone on ignore until now

I like the plastic bag ban it's good

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Wow I don't think I ever bothered putting someone on ignore until now

I like the plastic bag ban it's good

Same. I think it's worth it to help the environment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Voted for the bantax. Loved using the little bags for trash can liners, just get a megapack at Costco instead.

We've got shitloads of plastic trash in the ocean, so whatever little bit prevents more plastic proliferation is good in my book.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Waltzing Along posted:

Punishing people is not the way to promote change. Reward people for bringing their own bags.

No, it literally is. The org I work for did studies on this. The bag ban works great and most people just don’t think about it anymore.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
*Sniff sniff* it's beginning to smell like a Facebook comments section in here.

Besides,you can always just go to Costco, they still give you those big open boxes to put your groceries in. No need to worry about bags there.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
just go to ikea and get their blue tote bags. they’re cheaper than dirt, hold a ridiculous amount of poo poo, and are indestructible

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Aardvark posted:

Zonies go home
loving zoners.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'm cheap enough that if I forget a bag I'll whip off my jacket and turn it into a sad lumpy kinda-bag thing but at least that way Big Bag won't see ONE GODDAMN DIME of my HARD EARNED MONEY

"Not today, motherfuckers" Grand Prize Winner could be heard to say, as he tucked his shirt into his belt line and dropped the remaining grocery items that wouldn't fit into the jacket through the neckhole of his t-shirt.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Watching people go to insane lengths to carry groceries without dropping ten cents on a bag is absolutely worth every hassle of the bag ban.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cicero posted:

But we (meaning Californian cities I guess) are adding more trains. SF is building a new subway line, there's a BART extension going out to SJ, Caltrain is getting electrified so it can run more often, there's at least talk of a second tunnel between SF and the east bay.

I'm less familiar with LA, but I know they've been steadily adding more rail lines the last couple decades and plan to continue. And of course there's the HSR being built.

And there's another option that can greatly improved transit while being technically easy: bus lanes. Of course the whole reason it's not used much is that politically it's super challenging, SOV motorists get very upset.

I had to leave way early yesterday but that's awesome! Last I had heard certain cities were dragging their feet on train options because it would allow transit to THE WRONG KIND OF PEOPLE. I'm going to be really happy to be able to BART to San Jose, the drive time even for a weekend event is prohibitive.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Skyscraper posted:

I had to leave way early yesterday but that's awesome! Last I had heard certain cities were dragging their feet on train options because it would allow transit to THE WRONG KIND OF PEOPLE. I'm going to be really happy to be able to BART to San Jose, the drive time even for a weekend event is prohibitive.
Yeah, although unfortunately the BART extension is only going down the east bay, still no BART down the peninsula thanks to the rich jackasses in Atherton/Menlo Park/Palo Alto/etc.

The bay area really needs a regional housing + transit authority that can just override rear end in a top hat NIMBYs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LA is building light rail like crazy and will have a ton more public transit projects done by the time the Olympics roll around

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm not economically conservative, either. I just hate the bag tax. I think it is the wrong way to go about getting people to conserve. See what I did there? Conserve.

Punishing people is not the way to promote change. Reward people for bringing their own bags. You want to help the environment? Do massive ad campaigns about how much cattle farmer fucks things up across the globe along with how eating too much beef isn't healthy, either. But that won't happen because gotta eat hamburgers.

And yes, I have put my money where my mouth is. I don't eat beef any more for that very reason.

Actually, providing direct and immediate consequences for behavior that needs to stop IS the way to promote change, per a kajillion psychological and public health studies. Your way makes people feel better about it, but doesn’t actually cause change on a large scale. This is why public health decisions in general often frustrate people, because on a micro level they make no goddamn sense or seem unfair, but on a macro level they effect change.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Waltzing Along posted:

lol go gently caress yourself, you are the worst kind of moron

And being equally reactionary to both sides does not make you any less of a dumb shithead sorry

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao how loving dense do you have to be to equate legislating morality with environmentalism.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

South Park sucked.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sydin posted:

lmao how loving dense do you have to be to equate legislating morality with environmentalism.
Uh, I think you'll find that i'm not really a liberal or conservative. I'm independant :smug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skyscraper posted:

South Park sucked.

that nail had a loving family

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Cup Runneth Over posted:

We don't buy homes to live in in America, we just buy them to apply a fresh coat of paint and sell them now that they're worth more money.

This goes double in places where real estate is expensive like California.

ne: if you come from Switzerland then America must look like loving China in its business practices

HI IM DAN SLDKFJSDJ, ILL TEACH YOU HOW TO FLLIIIIP HOUSES WITH OTHER PEOPLES CASSSSSHHHHHH!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

The worst part of that is it is legislated morality which sucks. gently caress liberals.

Isn't this what conservatives do?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

my mom still refuses to buy reusable bags to so she can own the libs so she just ends up paying 80 cents more every time she shops and uses the thicker bags to put tiny dog poops in

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I was reading this that explains why Sacremento is so relatively well integrated.

Apparently it was due to making sure affordable housing is built throughout the entire city.

But housing costs are now going up rapidly. Is this effecting how well integrated Sacremento is?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FCKGW posted:

my mom still refuses to buy reusable bags to so she can own the libs so she just ends up paying 80 cents more every time she shops and uses the thicker bags to put tiny dog poops in

This is my complaint. The thicker bags suck at being poop bags so I end up buying special poops bags.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is my complaint. The thicker bags suck at being poop bags so I end up buying special poops bags.

the thicker bags aren't meant to be single-use disposable ya dingus

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I was reading this that explains why Sacremento is so relatively well integrated.

Apparently it was due to making sure affordable housing is built throughout the entire city.

But housing costs are now going up rapidly. Is this effecting how well integrated Sacremento is?

Sacramento is not really popular with the white bland trustafarian east coast or midwest kids, but it's feeling more pressure from more actual middling class moving out of the bay. And really housing costs are still pretty low there, just not exactly pop places like midtown where bay refugees want to move.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I had my eye on Winters (west of Sac) for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waltzing Along posted:

You’re dumb and wrong about politics, bags, Fresno, and roads. Why don’t you waltz along to another thread.