Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, this still makes me cry. gently caress you.

I deleted my save the first time, but then I played through again to get all the achievements and kept that one for the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Fun fact: while I was watching that ending on Youtube, my computer suddenly froze up and shut down. That only happens once in a blue moon. I think Yoko Taro's out to get me in particular. :tinfoil:

But yeah, I wasn't expecting something so sincerely bright from a game like this. It felt really good to see these strangers swoop in to carry the day, and I actually felt really terrible whenever one of them got taken out, though apparently their data doesn't get deleted after all. That's another good playthrough from TDI that I'm happy I read through to the end.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Well that was a fun ride.
It's interesting that the writing is better than his other works. The story feels a lot more coherent and with less Giant Space Babies out of nowhere.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

GimmickMan posted:

This is the closest the franchise has ever been to a happy ending, isn't it? Yoko-san is getting soft. :unsmith:

Mazed posted:

He's said what he feels about human conflict in interviews, even naming specific historical events over the past couple of decades as affecting him profoundly, and it's written all over this game with the subtlety of 2B's buttocks.

The Dark Id posted:

"My doctor wasn't very happy about the condition of my liver. But I'm still drinking a lot. I might drop dead at any minute." - Yoko Taro

Maybe he's a little done with suffering for suffering's sake? It's been a hard few games. It's been a hard few years. I hope his next project also finds something of value on the other side. I hope.

Thank you for playing, Id. See you next time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We're freeeeee

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

That may have been the best ending I’ve ever seen. It literally wrapped up every message and moral the game had, and left them all deep within your soul.

Nates Helvetica
Nov 30, 2017
I had no intention of wiping my save, as I wanted to go back and finish some minor stuff I missed, but that ending touched my dark, cynical heart. I had no choice but to go along. Some day I'll do another run for the missing achievements and DLC.

Easily my favorite ending to a video game.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So, food for speculation, as this ending openly invites.

Despite how uplifting the final ending was, there's no easy answer for these two. If all their memories are intact, poor 9S is still an angry, broken shell. But that's the real 2B, not some cheap spare parts, and chances are she can hold out against any of his lingering rage; that's the real 2B, who left that recording describing her time with him as "pure light." She's a warrior who's war is over and duty is done, emotions no longer prohibited, and she can finally express how much she clearly and utterly adores that dingus called Nines, and maybe that'll put some soul back into him.

Even at best it'll be incredibly awkward. There are no therapists around to treat their mutual mountain of robo-PTSD...unless we count the pods, who seem pretty on-point with their philosophical observations lately. But, what they absolutely have is each other, and maybe, just maybe, they lived something like happily ever after.

As for her: Why would she even wake up? She's old and tired and has more than earned her rest.

My fanfic guess is, a thousand years from now, somehow all that remains standing of that building is the window fixture she's been asleep in, all grown over with roots and vines and flowers and whatnot. Maybe YoRHa has become a legend and passing androids or remaining machines or now-sapient ungulates have made a shrine around the still form of this slumbering war goddess. Maybe, in true DrakeNieR fashion, they've been offering gruesome sacrifices, so that she never wakes and visits her wrath upon them.

Or maybe the staggering remnants of the Forest Kingdom happen upon her and decide to adopt a Forest Queen. Those shrieky yet sincere morons deserve something nice anyway. :unsmith:

Or whatever, maybe not. Maybe she just got up and started walking, stopping perhaps only to fistbump poor idle Anemone, then wandered away forever. Murderhobo's gotta murderhobo.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I've walked the same road as you One thing is certain I'm in your corner USA

Thank you for playing.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Write that fan fiction! Yoko Taro will never give you a happy future unless you make it for yourself!

In my fan fiction, they all team up with Pascal and create a village that only believes in 90% pacifism.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Billzasilver posted:

In my fan fiction, they all team up with Pascal and create a village that only believes in 90% pacifism.

The remaining 10% is the Engels.

e. Like, just the one. All you need.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 9, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mazed posted:

This is it.

This is the first time ever that a video game had tears running down my goddamn cheeks.

That chorus.

That chorus.

I heard a sound, and it was beautiful.

Thank you.

Thank you so much.

I still tear up every time I play it

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I figured I'd go grab ending C (did D first) quickly and then go to bed to do ending E some other time, not knowing it just thrusts it onto you. I knew Yoko Taro doesn't gently caress around when he says he'll delete your data, so I ended up playing this bit way more tense than I should've been at 3 in the morning.
I'm sure I could take the 3 hits like normal in my runs through the game, though.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You can refuse the call for help, too, and try to beat the credits on your own.

It's borderline impossible since the last few names have huge HP pools and spew so many bullets, I couldn't do it and had to eventually ask for help. Having the chorus kick in made me realize I was a fool for not asking for help.

Apparently the game takes pity on you if you refuse the offer for help like 50 times, making your bullets strong enough to take out the small names in one shot instead of 3-4. There's a video of someone beating the credits solo somewhere on YouTube, but I'm phone posting, so :effort:.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm suddenly curious; are you allowed to, on a fresh playthrough after deleting your save for Ending E, make a save file with the same name as before or does it not allow you to do so as it did with Nier?

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Shaking my drat head that one of the options isn't, "I'm loving this poo poo!"

gently caress. gently caress. This ending is so good. I'm gonna have to actually buy this now.

Thank you TDI, for playing. Thank you all in the thread for the fanart and discussion. Thank you Yoko Taro for showing me how games can bypass the game avatar and attack the player directly, and that that's not a bad thing. And thank Beam Suntory and Canadian Club for providing the strength to push through this and all other challenges.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Mazed posted:

Even at best it'll be incredibly awkward. There are no therapists around to treat their mutual mountain of robo-PTSD...unless we count the pods, who seem pretty on-point with their philosophical observations lately. But, what they absolutely have is each other, and maybe, just maybe, they lived something like happily ever

Now watch as Nier 3: Simulacra reveals that after intense and sustained relationship therapy 9S and 2B decided they were, you know, just more like brother and sister and just really good friends and they just didn't want to throw that away. They have coffee sometimes.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

A happy ending. Jackass has three more killbots to help her wreck the poo poo of the people responsible for all this.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Eopia posted:

Go watch the video already, these aren't questions you'd be asking if you did.

I guess, but it's difficult to watch videos for Nier Automata at the office. Some people are... kinda creepy.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

painedforever posted:

I guess, but it's difficult to watch videos for Nier Automata at the office. Some people are... kinda creepy.

Don't stress about this one, people will just wonder why you're playing a shmup at the office.

Great LP Id, you're one of the best! This game looks like it owns bones, so it's great to see you playing something fun rather than frustrating.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm suddenly curious; are you allowed to, on a fresh playthrough after deleting your save for Ending E, make a save file with the same name as before or does it not allow you to do so as it did with Nier?

Yup, you can do that. I did it when I had to do a second run through because they announced the DLC shortly after I'd let it delete my data.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
If you havent, watch the video with Ids reactions.

Thanks for playing this game and showing us all, coz I don't have that kind of time any more. Your efforts are much appreciated, Id.

edit: I hope the pigeons at the end don't mean anything.

ManSedan fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 9, 2018

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thank you for LPing this game, Id. It really is a treasure from Yoko Taro to us all. :unsmith:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Great LP Id, I hope you'll be showing off some of the supplemental story stuff that's come out since the game, you did a great job of it during the Nier LP. I'm also excited that I can now add the best line of the game to my avatar without risking spoilers.

ManSedan posted:

If you havent, watch the video with Ids reactions.
"Oh know, the Bee tribe!"

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
That was a great playthrogh for a great game! Thank you!

Anyone else think that the five pidgeons flying off at the end there was an intentional reference?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is it possible to solo the End Credits? There's got to be some bullet hell savant who's made it through without dying.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Is it possible to solo the End Credits? There's got to be some bullet hell savant who's made it through without dying.

I mean, it's not a terribly difficult bullet hell, even towards the end. I made it to Square-Enix on just my rusted experience of Beat Hazard, so most bullet hell enthusiasts probably didn't have a tough time with it.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Thank you for Let's Play-ing.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's throttled to make it significantly harder if you don't.

But yeah, there's been people supposedly.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's at least one on YouTube, it takes forever but it looks legit.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Yoko Taro, you madman, you did it again :allears: I went in knowing more or less what would happen (drat you internet wild spoilers), but the execution and messages floored me and the chorus coming in when you accepted help outright killed me with feels :unsmith: A hopeful ending, in a Yoko Taro game; never thought i'd live to see the day! And of course I gave up my savefile, I planned ahead and completed as much of the game prior to getting the last two endings.

Thank you so much for the LP, DarkId, and thanks for the raw unedited first playthrough video! I guess now you're going to wrap things up and show us some of the additional material and writing that are floating around the internet?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

What broke me was "PLAYER'S data was lost" when you got hit after getting help.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It's the one-year anniversary of the game releasing for western audiences! Darth Emil has some words.

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/972109766720933891

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

This ending is high art.
If in one or two hundred years (assuming human civilization has not self-destructed) this game is not taught in school like Wordsworth or the Bard or *insert famous artist here* then what the gently caress is wrong with you future human society?

I loved first Nier's ending, although I never played that one so I'm not the one that lost an 100+ hours savegame. When the messages started popping up, well, I suspected. When help was offered, I knew. And suddenly I was the one that was going to lose an 100+ hours savegame. And you know what?

It made this ending better somehow Yoko Taro you magnificent son of a bitch. How the gently caress does he do this?

For some reason ending E reminded me of one of my favourite pieces from Pratchett:
Yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ sᴛᴀʀᴛ ʟᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ʟɪᴇs.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
Yᴇs. Jᴜsᴛɪᴄᴇ. Mᴇʀᴄʏ. Dᴜᴛʏ. Tʜᴀᴛ sᴏʀᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜɪɴɢ. [...]
Yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪɴɢs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴀʀᴇɴ'ᴛ ᴛʀᴜᴇ. Hᴏᴡ ᴇʟsᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ᴛʜᴇʏ ʙᴇᴄᴏᴍᴇ?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I remember when I first finished this ending, I was so moved by it that I immediately went to tweet the encouraging message I'd chosen without context, brackets and all.
One of my friends, bless her, abused a backup save in her cloud to restore her file and "sacrifice" her data five times in a row before erasing it for good. I don't think she quite understood that the name was probably just being added to a list and data wasn't actually "deleted" if a player lost a life, but it was a pretty sweet gesture.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Materant posted:

It's the one-year anniversary of the game releasing for western audiences! Darth Emil has some words.

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/972109766720933891

That Emil mask was never meant to be worn for after E3 2015. Please Square, give Yoko taro a new game so he can afford a new mask

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sinners Sandwich posted:

That Emil mask was never meant to be worn for after E3 2015. Please Square, give Yoko taro a new game so he can afford a new mask

... What mask?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Clearly, it's all metaphorical

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
something about "DO YOU THINK GAMES ARE SILLY LITTLE THINGS" just stuck with me so hard. I'm probably projecting hard here but that line felt like every frustration and dashed hope of Yoko Taro's weird-rear end career was poured into it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Do you think he's ever taken it off since E3 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Half the fun of these Automata videos with Yoko Taro is seeing the Emil head become progressively more cracked and chipped, because there's a small part in the back of my head that wonders with every new video "Is that head breaking...

...or hatching?"

• Locked thread