Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I have a very large city bus on a hippie farm. It's much nicer than that apartment and a ton less creepy... Even if our facilities are in a different building at least they're nicer.

Content!

I call that last one "meth theft special"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pallas_Cat
May 2, 2009

Absolute Unit

RoboRodent posted:

Oh sure. I'm living in a one room apartment now. I find it very cosy and comfortable. However, I also have a real kitchen and a bathtub.

I was poking around on Craigslist and found another listing which has the same contact number. Pretty sure this is a one bedroom in the same apartment, which makes me suspect that the "bachelor" is a bigger apartment divided into smaller units.

I've never seen a kitchen in a closet before.

And how about this bathroom set up?

This one goes for $700/month.

Efficiency!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Holy poo poo. It took me a minute to see the prices.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I kinda want that Cheeseburger Decoration.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm so glad I don't live in a big city. My $700 bachelor apartment would be out of my price range in Vancouver.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Do we have a lovely real estate thread yet?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

No but we can either make one or add to this. This one has a ton of lovely real estate already and I'm delighted to view more!

Scathach has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Mar 5, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The old Vancouver game of 'crack shack or mansion' gets a new lease on life.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

cash crab posted:

Just groverhaus. But I would also be interested in reading such a thread.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Every time I think about how great it would be to live in the heart of a city, I remember this poo poo and my $1200/mo 1200 sq. ft apartment isn't bad at all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cash crab posted:

There are two threads in DIY & Hobbies that have a history of posting exactly that type of stuff.

Crappy Construction Tales

Interior Design Thread

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Every time I think about how great it would be to live in the heart of a city, I remember this poo poo and my $1200/mo 1200 sq. ft apartment isn't bad at all.

Honestly every time I go to Seattle I think how cool it would be to live around everything for a year or so, than I remember I pay next to nothing for access to 40 acres of trees and cool poo poo.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's one stupid 28 year old.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Depends on the city; San Francisco is a special case. New York City as well. I mean it always gets more expensive to live in the city core but San Francisco is a special kind of insane due to some laws unique to California.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends on the city; San Francisco is a special case. New York City as well. I mean it always gets more expensive to live in the city core but San Francisco is a special kind of insane due to some laws unique to California.

Ooh, I'd like to know more about SF crazy laws. Do tell.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Would the Craigslist-like subreddits count here?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leavemywife posted:

I'm paraphrasing but the law is something like if you don't make 6 figures you have to die in the streets.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

It's not a San Francisco law but rather a California one. In California you pay property taxes based on how much you paid for it not how much it's worth now. So you have a gently caress load of people who absolutely, positively will not sell their property. Because people won't sell their houses it's literally impossible to redevelop the land into denser housing even if zoning allows it. Not only does this ultimately drive up the prices of said houses to absurd levels the shortage of apartments that results just drives up rents too. Coupled with your bog standard NIMBY bullshit that happens in every suburb ever you have a perfect poo poo storm of housing shenanigans. With all the tech bros desperately piling into Silicon Valley chasing those tech paychecks the demand is increasingly demolishing the supply. This is why you have people that are paying $700 a month to live in a box in somebody's living room.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Xun posted:

Would the Craigslist-like subreddits count here?

Any "for sale" or other weird poo poo like that is allowed. I'm all for more thread content so yes please!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Tech hubs are the worst. I moved to friggin London (the one in England) and my rent here is actually cheaper than it was back in Boston.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is why you have people that are paying $700 a month to live in a box in somebody's living room.

Wait, I can charge my cats rent?

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

captainOrbital posted:

Wait, I can charge my cats rent?

A dead mouse in your shoe on the first of the month, every month.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Scathach posted:

Any "for sale" or other weird poo poo like that is allowed. I'm all for more thread content so yes please!

Actually I looked again and I think it might end up more sad/weird instead of funny rip

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's not a San Francisco law but rather a California one. In California you pay property taxes based on how much you paid for it not how much it's worth now. So you have a gently caress load of people who absolutely, positively will not sell their property. Because people won't sell their houses it's literally impossible to redevelop the land into denser housing even if zoning allows it. Not only does this ultimately drive up the prices of said houses to absurd levels the shortage of apartments that results just drives up rents too. Coupled with your bog standard NIMBY bullshit that happens in every suburb ever you have a perfect poo poo storm of housing shenanigans. With all the tech bros desperately piling into Silicon Valley chasing those tech paychecks the demand is increasingly demolishing the supply. This is why you have people that are paying $700 a month to live in a box in somebody's living room.

I'm a bay area lawyer and I agree. The other problem is that the tenant protections in place are really, really dumb. I'm all for protecting tenants, and I rep both tenants and landlords, but as a landlord it's incredibly difficult and dangerous to get rid of someone. By way of example: current SF Rent Board policy says that, prior to discussing a buyout, the tenant needs to get certain disclosures and the landlord files a proof of service of those disclosures, signed by the tenant, with the RB. This means that, if a tenant just called you up to chat about moving out, any agreement you reached with that tenant would be illegitimate. You couldn't enforce it, and the tenant could turn around and sue you after leaving. Thus, the business plan for being a landlord is to skimp on maintenance and to try like hell to get a unit that's outside of rent control. Then, you charge the $5k a month some Twitter manlet will pay for that unit, and the hell with the rest of them.

This also has created a system that is much, much nicer to straight-up squatters than paying tenants. Here in Berkeley we have this guy, a Sarah Lawrence prof who moves in and then never pays any rent, and demands a payout to leave. I've gotten him out once myself, and understandably the people who owned the house then took it off the market forever.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

FistOfTacitus posted:

I'm a bay area lawyer and I agree. The other problem is that the tenant protections in place are really, really dumb. I'm all for protecting tenants, and I rep both tenants and landlords, but as a landlord it's incredibly difficult and dangerous to get rid of someone. By way of example: current SF Rent Board policy says that, prior to discussing a buyout, the tenant needs to get certain disclosures and the landlord files a proof of service of those disclosures, signed by the tenant, with the RB. This means that, if a tenant just called you up to chat about moving out, any agreement you reached with that tenant would be illegitimate. You couldn't enforce it, and the tenant could turn around and sue you after leaving. Thus, the business plan for being a landlord is to skimp on maintenance and to try like hell to get a unit that's outside of rent control. Then, you charge the $5k a month some Twitter manlet will pay for that unit, and the hell with the rest of them.

This also has created a system that is much, much nicer to straight-up squatters than paying tenants. Here in Berkeley we have this guy, a Sarah Lawrence prof who moves in and then never pays any rent, and demands a payout to leave. I've gotten him out once myself, and understandably the people who owned the house then took it off the market forever.

I read about that guy, what a loving nut.

I live in a rent controlled unit in Berkeley and I'm forever grateful that I have a human landlord instead of a lizard person, and in return I maintain my unit impeccably and he fixes things when they break. That said, when my last roommate moved out, I opted to pay the full rent rather than risk sharing with someone who I couldn't ever force to leave short of non rent payment or becoming a victim of their violence.

As far as my rights to continue living here I might as well own the place which is nuts. He owns this duplex and another house so I don't even think he could argue for an owner move in since the other half of my duplex is his guest house. The last tenants upstairs lived there for literally 20 years and paid about $2000 a month less than market rate.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Craigslist gets much less weird:

Craigslist will no longer display personal ads after passage of sex trafficking bill

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

That's okay, we'll still have terrible couches.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sALru9IJk

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Color me disappointed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

Color me disappointed.

Yeah I called Caran d'Ache and they didn't have crayons in "sweeperbravo's parents"

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Man, that sucks. Like, I get why they're doing it, and I don't disagree, but my local radio station does this weekly segment where they read out some good missed connections and comment on them, and it's one of their better segments. check out some of these, since they're pretty good thread content all by themselves.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Missed connections and rants and raves are still there, just moved up a column.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

queserasera posted:

Missed connections and rants and raves are still there, just moved up a column.

Oh killer, thanks. Looks like they removed gender4gender filtering?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They're probably just going to open the only forum they need, m4*

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Scathach posted:

That's okay, we'll still have terrible couches.

And we'll still be able to buy them new if necessary.

As if you had to ask: Design Toscano, masters of all that is tacky and overwrought.
https://www.designtoscano.com/product/%26quot-cowch%26quot-+holstein+cow+bench+sculpture+-+ne120020.do

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
That's a nice cowch.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

That's a nice cowch.

Moooove over

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016