Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Asrar's great, ya weridos.

I agree. He's one of my favorite artists and the main reason I picked up the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Looks folks I'm just saying if it was realistic those would have been flashlights Tiki Torches.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Rhyno posted:

Agreed, art was great.

It's so strange to me that someone would feel this way. I always wondered who likes this "webcomic"-looking art in modern paper comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Transistor Rhythm posted:

"webcomic"-looking art

:confused:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, what's up with the New Mutants? Is it a book that takes place in the past or is Illyana feeling nostalgic and reformed the team and makes everyone fit into their old costumes?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
^I think it's set in the present? Not really sure what the full deal with New Mutants is tbh.

Pleased to see that we'll be getting the Jean reunion moments that Resurrection didn't cover: https://www.newsarama.com/38656-tom-taylor-x-men-red-interview.html

Also, I'm still so hyped for Red, as it feels like a proper X-Men team book - Tom Taylor really gets it. I also wonder if the Jean/Laura connection is about rejecting 'destiny'/control over your life?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: X-Men: Red #2

I like the cut of Trinary's jib.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jay Edidin (of Jay and Miles) and his mom cosplayed Rule-63 Cable and Hope. It owns.

https://twitter.com/RaeBeta/status/971394113059860481

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
^She really makes an amazing Cable, and Jay did a great job as Hope too. :3:

Rogue & Gambit #3 blew me away with the quality of the dialogue, and I'm still super-intrigued by the central mystery of the paradise resort. Pere Perez did a fantastic job on the fight scene, keeping it clear with so many involved and, as a Rambit fan, I am obviously thrilled, but Kelly Thompson has addressed their past issues in a way that doesn't diminish or handwave them while still providing a viable way forward. :allears:

X-Men: Red #2 continued it's hot start. It just feels *right*, Jean was a badass in comfortable clothes like a boss, and Gabby was an absolute scene-stealer, without being overbearing. Also want to reiterate Sentinel Red's point that Trinary seems very cool.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm really liking Red still, yeah. I didn't even bother picking up Gold this week, though; I think I'm done with that book and, honestly, it's kind of soured me on Kitty being in charge. It's just kind of a rolling count of all the story beats I'm not fond of, with "X-Men in Prison!" at the top of the list now.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'm digging everything about Red aside from the art. Laura in particular seems to get the worst of it, where I didn't even realize it was her talking with Jean at first.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The art is worse this week but they drew the torches right!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
For financial reasons I had to drop some comics, so Blue and Gold were dropped, but I kept Red. I feel like i made the right choice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if keeping anything Marvel is the right choice anymore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know if keeping anything Marvel is the right choice anymore.

There's no way I'd dump Squirrel Girl or All New Wolverine, but most of the rest of my books ended on their own.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Dropping ANW is inconceivable

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

twistedmentat posted:

For financial reasons I had to drop some comics, so Blue and Gold were dropped, but I kept Red. I feel like i made the right choice.

Wenn have remarkably simmilar taste in comics.

:smith:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
As much as I'm really enjoying X-Men: Red, the team comp definitely doesn't feel all that sensible and just seems more like a bunch of random characters who were within the general vicinity of each other when the events of the story began. And then some characters who weren't even that.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
X-Men: Red canceled for X-Men: Grey, with a team of Jean Grey, teen Jean Grey, Cable, Rachel Grey, Madelyne Pryor, uhh X-Man, and Hope Summers I guess?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Autism Sneaks posted:

X-Men: Red canceled for X-Men: Grey, with a team of Jean Grey, teen Jean Grey, Cable, Rachel Grey, Madelyne Pryor, uhh X-Man, and Hope Summers I guess?

Also an alternate universe version of Jean who was bombarded with gamma radiation during a battle against Magneto in New Mexico: the Grey Hulk.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

If Al Ewing wrote it, I would read it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hell yeah to bringing back X-Man

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Jay Edidin (of Jay and Miles) and his mom cosplayed Rule-63 Cable and Hope. It owns.

https://twitter.com/RaeBeta/status/971394113059860481

Is the podcast back on? Still good or did things get weird?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Putrid Grin posted:

Is the podcast back on? Still good or did things get weird?

The audio quality isn't nearly as good since they're no longer in a studio together, but the content hasn't been affected much by the move.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I feel like the audio has gotten much better of late, they've got the kinks pretty well worked out. It'll never be as good as the two of them in a studio but it's fine. The content is rad as ever but now it's in the 90's so there are pouches.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

rantmo posted:

I feel like the audio has gotten much better of late, they've got the kinks pretty well worked out. It'll never be as good as the two of them in a studio but it's fine. The content is rad as ever but now it's in the 90's so there are pouches.

I agree that they've made improvements since their first show apart, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as when they were in the same room. Skype just doesn't have the range.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, similar thing happened ot the Flop House when Elliot Kalan moved to LA to be head writer of MST3K and probably other projects. First few episodes they didn't iron out the issues, but by now its great.

There most recent episode where they talked about the short stories, the one about Nightcrawler made me think of the Castle Anthrax bit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It seems fine to me, but I regularly listen to podcasts with WAY worse audio.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I binged the whole podcast in like five months, and finished last week. I need a break for a bit, because I got real tired of hearing Jay go "No." and correcting or trying to one up whatever Miles was saying. Great show for the most part though.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Open Marriage Night posted:

I binged the whole podcast in like five months, and finished last week. I need a break for a bit, because I got real tired of hearing Jay go "No." and correcting or trying to one up whatever Miles was saying. Great show for the most part though.

I've noticed that as well and the fact that Miles always backs down to avoid an argument. It's mildly irritating because disagreements about interpretations can be very interesting, but they never get to that point.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Jedi posted:

I've noticed that as well and the fact that Miles always backs down to avoid an argument. It's mildly irritating because disagreements about interpretations can be very interesting, but they never get to that point.

Jay was always the more aggressive of the two, but I always thought it was part of the charm.
On one hand you had happy go lucky Miles that loves almost everything and can find silver lining anywhere, and then there is the overbearing analytical no-nonsense Jay.
The only things that ever bothered me was the overuse of the word "delightful", and Jays propensity to view everything as a hidden queer subtext. Its an important lens to view comics through to be sure, but he goes overboard with it a lot of times. Not every x-man is secretly gay.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I can see where Jay's coming from with it. X-Men in particular as a franchise, between Claremont's various subtexts and the oppressed-subcultures metaphor, is ripe for a queer reading, and it's definitely not a critical interpretation I'd have arrived at on my own.

That said, there's a whole burgeoning field of critical analysis that revolves around the concept of the "transformative work" that I'm just never gonna be too comfortable with, and that informs a lot of Jay's running commentary. It feels a lot to me like fans attempting to assert an unearned ownership of the text by changing details about it to suit their needs. That's fine in fan work, but to my mind, not so much in criticism or analysis. Fortunately, it's not the whole point of the podcast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Putrid Grin posted:

Not every x-man is secretly gay.

If it's a woman and Claremont is writing, it's better to error on the side of caution on that one.

Seriously though, in an era with rising cultural awareness of gay people, but strict editorial policies meant everything had to be coded, so there's a lot of stuff that's intentional subtext mixed in with stuff that is unintentional but easily perceived that way. When you've got Kitty and Magik running around together it's easy to read into other same sex friendships as being more than that.

Also, with the exception of maybe Scott and Jean, yes, every X-Man is secretly gay.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Also, with the exception of maybe Scott and Jean, yes, every X-Man is secretly gay.

Hey.

Some of them are overtly gay.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

God bless Peter David for actualizing all that homoerotic subtext between Shatterstar and Rictor

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Putrid Grin posted:

On one hand you had happy go lucky Miles that loves almost everything and can find silver lining anywhere, and then there is the overbearing analytical no-nonsense Jay. The only things that ever bothered me was the overuse of the word "delightful", and Jays propensity to view everything as a hidden queer subtext. Its an important lens to view comics through to be sure, but he goes overboard with it a lot of times. Not every x-man is secretly gay.

I thoroughly enjoy the fact that Miles loves everything. Even when he dislikes something, his enthusiasm for the work is infectious. Seems like he'd be an awesome dude to hang out with.

Wanderer posted:

That said, there's a whole burgeoning field of critical analysis that revolves around the concept of the "transformative work" that I'm just never gonna be too comfortable with, and that informs a lot of Jay's running commentary. It feels a lot to me like fans attempting to assert an unearned ownership of the text by changing details about it to suit their needs. That's fine in fan work, but to my mind, not so much in criticism or analysis. Fortunately, it's not the whole point of the podcast.

When they had Claremont on, they straight up asked him if all the queer subtext was intentional or not and I believe his answer was something along the lines of "It's not for me to tell you if your interpretation is right or wrong. If that's what you took from it, and it brought you comfort, then I'm happy for you." Which I genuinely think is a great response for a writer to have.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He straight up confirmed Kitty/Rachel.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Jedi posted:

I thoroughly enjoy the fact that Miles loves everything. Even when he dislikes something, his enthusiasm for the work is infectious. Seems like he'd be an awesome dude to hang out with.

Yup, but when they did reviews on youtube, I always went with Jays opinion.

Cabbit posted:

Hey.

Some of them are overtly gay.

Iceman. The most obviously gay xman!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure when exactly I dropped off Jay & Miles, nor why I did. I remember I used to comment in one of these threads that they were almost too positive about everything X-Men, which I realise is an odd attitude for me to take.

Remember that episode where they got that guy who used to produce the X-Men 92 cartoon and co-created X-Men: Evolution and Jay did a one-on-one interview with him? He was asked about his history with the X-Men and proceeded to recap their entire publication history (perhaps he thought Jay didn't have any context for it :v:) and then he kept pronounced "Claremont" as "Claremount".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Jedi posted:

According to a mutual friend, that's 100% the real Miles, there's nothing forced or performative about him on the podcast and when I learned that I felt a palpable relief.