Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So, uhh, are they setting up Patsy to be an antagonist in S3? I know her comic book arc leads to her becoming a minor hero, but she did a lotta messed up poo poo over the course of this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My only question is, what is the piano program on her Surface Pro?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm not done with the season so this might get covered eventually but "the octopus" was a real-life conspiracy theory made up by a desperate reporter. I still remember the Unsolved Mysteries about it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

business hammocks posted:

I'm not done with the season so this might get covered eventually but "the octopus" was a real-life conspiracy theory made up by a desperate reporter. I still remember the Unsolved Mysteries about it.

Wait what? Tell me more

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait what? Tell me more

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Casolaro

Some parts of it were probably true, as a savings-and-loan guy had a hit put out on him after appearing on an Unsolved Mysteries segment about it, but it was probably just a regular old embezzlement conspiracy involving government employees.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Soothing Vapors posted:

E2

RIP Simpson, u were too beautiful for this world~

also can someone tell me if this interminable Hogarth poo poo is going anywhere, or can I fast forward all her scenes as per usual

I haven't gotten to Season 2 yet, but did they seriously kill off Nuke, a somewhat big deal comic book character?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I haven't gotten to Season 2 yet, but did they seriously kill off Nuke, a somewhat big deal comic book character?

Yes, but so? They've killed off a lot of villains in the various Marvel properties.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Simpson isn’t exactly a big deal—he’s just an extremely weak man with zero resiliency who can’t bring himself to address his problems in a constructive way. Which kind of describes everyone on the show and is a theme of the series.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Ep11
What is it with the female sidekicks in these netflix shows going stupid in season two.

Though granted Karen was also stupid in season one, but far less so.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Episode 1

Noooooooo RIP Whizzer

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Yeah, in an incredibly lame way too. I was really hoping he'd be a bigger part of the season, Wil Traval is Cool and Good.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, in an incredibly lame way too. I was really hoping he'd be a bigger part of the season, Wil Traval is Cool and Good.

My mom calls him "Low Budget Tom Jane" and now I'm almost sad he wasn't cast as Frank Castle for even more casting confusion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really wanted to like this season and there were sme good points but Full Season Spoilers There to me wasn't really a compelling villain and over all the story was just all over the place with her mom coming back etc.. it's just like to much really. Like the onl reason was to keep watching Jessica but the sub plots during this was just really bad and uninteresting

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I'm all about hot, biased Latino superintendent guy. The plot has definitely not grabbed me as much as Season 1.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

It's probably impossible to top Tennants Purple man.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

adhuin posted:

This is true but I'm pretty unhappy overall with this season.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Netflix Marvel: "Patsy's kind of mean!"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I'm all about hot, biased Latino superintendent guy. The plot has definitely not grabbed me as much as Season 1.

I can't deal with how handsome that dude is, I have to look away when he's onscreen

also E5: crazy killer lady burning a piano piece by piece had me in hysterics for some reason, that is some deeply funny poo poo

My mom calls him "Low Budget Tom Jane"
lol, a good mom

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 9, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

adhuin posted:

This is true. Still enjoying the season so far (just got to episode 7), but he was such a great villain.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I've only watched the first episode of season 2 but man it feels like the quality really dropped off in Jessica Jones.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

I've only watched the first episode of season 2 but man it feels like the quality really dropped off in Jessica Jones.

I'm on ep 8 now and it hasn't improved

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

also Janet McTeer is a dreadful actor

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I always find it disappointing when a narrative continues by finding epic significance in the past of a main character or in the hidden significance of their family history. It just always seems like an uncreative way to keep developing a story after a tight first/early seasons that have exhausted the initial conflicts. The expectation always seems to be that such discoveries inherently carry dramatic weight because they are necessarily connected to the emotions and development of the character, but it doesn’t necessarily add anything that makes them or their story better or more compelling. Jessica is a self-hating moral absolutist who is at or near rock-bottom at all times. It seems like a strong story has to build out from there with other characters for her to collide with rather than to assume that whatever she is shocked to learn about her childhood or family will be strong enough to carry the show.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

E9: trish discovers 8 episodes later that inhalers, in fact, have a finite number of uses. this discovery floors her. why is she so dumb this year

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Soothing Vapors posted:

E9: trish discovers 8 episodes later that inhalers, in fact, have a finite number of uses. this discovery floors her. why is she so dumb this year

This but also the non-spoiler : why has she started dressing like an 18th century British fox-hunter?

What???????

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Finished JJ2. It was ok, not nearly as good as season 1. Really lacks a strong villain, there are too many sub-plots that don't really go anywhere. Cheng, Jeri, Griffin, Oscar the new super, even Dr. Karl and Trish subplots are just sort of there.

I'm particularly confused at what was going on with Griffin. He's on the phone having a secret conversation while Trish is in the shower. Was that a plot thread that went nowhere or was that related to his surprise engagement party?

edit: it kind of felt like season 2 was 90% setup for season 3 and not much actually happened.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 10, 2018

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Pellisworth posted:

I'm particularly confused at what was going on with Griffin. He's on the phone having a secret conversation while Trish is in the shower. Was that a plot thread that went nowhere or was that related to his surprise engagement party?

Yeah, it was setup for the engagement.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's a mess but it's not exactly bad, just really really unfocused.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
E9: Really digging the moment the magical steroid ran out, I was wondering when it would happen

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Literally upset the thread title isn't "With great power comes great mental illness."

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Agree that this season didn't hit the highs of S1, but in a way I thought it was much more even, on the whole. It was definitely paced more evenly than, say, the Defenders, and I think it largely stayed in the "street level", character-focused spot that the Netflix shows do best in. I also liked the dynamic between Jessica and her mom . Yeah, there was no "big bad" to focus on, by and large, but I found the characters' continuing internal struggles to be compelling enough to carry through, and having some mustache twirling villain show up would have been completely inconsistent with what makes the show good to start with - just like with Luke Cage.

Also, I guess I get that people are frustrated by Trish acting like an idiot, but nothing she did seemed inconsistent when you recognize that she is, at her core, an addict - her interactions with Malcolm fleshed that out pretty well, I thought.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I watched half of S1E1 before realizing that Netflix didn’t know I had already watched the first season.

I remember liking this show but I guess it didn’t make a strong impression on me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The season was really missing a real villain. The mom being an on-and-off sorta-villain would've worked better as a side plot, I think. Definitely a Tennant-shaped hole.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

if they cut out every single scene with the lawyer i'd have liked this a whole lot more. god she sucks

its definitely less focused plot-wise but i enjoyed some of the characters well enough it could coast on that alone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

See, I like the character, but Hogarth's side story having not a single loving thing to do with the main plot was weird.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

See, I like the character, but Hogarth's side story having not a single loving thing to do with the main plot was weird.

Thematically it made sense (Hogarth's super power is her ability to control situations, but the need to do so is her crippling addiction and vulnerability), but yeah - it felt a lot like they wanted to make sure she was still in Jessica's orbit but just didn't have anything for her to do outside of occasionally helping with legal problems.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Finished the series. Two thoughts to follow up on what's already been said: The season didn't need a villain. The main antagonist isn't Jessica's mother, it's Jessica's very relationship with her mother, her own fuckups, her own attempts to reconcile defeating the monsters and having a mother, and how that affected all her other relationships. Once I stopped looking for a central figure on which to think "She must defeat this person", the season became much better for it. Also, speaking from egregious family issues personally, I found this season personally and uncomfortably more relatable than Season 1, and it made the whole thing hit so much harder that I had to take a break or two (S1 is still better though). God I wish Trish's mom would slip in bird poo poo and die.

And, holy poo poo, if you want a villain, Jeri Hogarth could absolutely steal the show if she crosses the line into consistent villainy. Watching her take her obsessive control freak issues to the extreme was like :stare:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The season has been okay to good so far, but episode 7 is really, really dragging for me.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cran posted:

Finished the series. Two thoughts to follow up on what's already been said: The season didn't need a villain. The main antagonist isn't Jessica's mother, it's Jessica's very relationship with her mother, her own fuckups, her own attempts to reconcile defeating the monsters and having a mother, and how that affected all her other relationships. Once I stopped looking for a central figure on which to think "She must defeat this person", the season became much better for it. Also, speaking from egregious family issues personally, I found this season personally and uncomfortably more relatable than Season 1, and it made the whole thing hit so much harder that I had to take a break or two (S1 is still better though). God I wish Trish's mom would slip in bird poo poo and die.

I agree with this post, especially the last line. I enjoyed the season on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Cran posted:

And, holy poo poo, if you want a villain, Jeri Hogarth could absolutely steal the show if she crosses the line into consistent villainy. Watching her take her obsessive control freak issues to the extreme was like :stare:

Agree entirely. This wasn't about Hero vs Villain. This was about damaged people and how they damage each other even with good intentions, with the repercussions and fall out then pinballing out to create new little vortexes of struggle. Sartre's Hell is other people. I thought it was great.