Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's much worse than that

sometimes a list is a string and sometimes a list is a list and different things treat their arguments differently based on context

This is why TCL is great. Everything is a string all the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

awk is great for that intermediate step living in the space between "I need to grep and sed a lot of poo poo" and "I don't want to write a python/ruby/perl script just for regexes"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VikingofRock posted:

This is why TCL is great. Everything is a string all the time!

tcl is unironically better than bash in every way

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tcl is unironically better than bash in every way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

we established long ago that you are too badly damaged by your career to understand the difference between good and bad.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

You make a good point, we should do our scripting in LabView

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

haha it's funny because of ptsd victims

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we established long ago that you are too badly damaged by your career to understand the difference between good and bad.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i've had a great career tyvm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

i've had a great career tyvm

i don't doubt your great career, but it came at a terrible price

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VikingofRock posted:

You make a good point, we should do our scripting in LabView

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
labview is really pretty fuckin awesome

(if you can ignore the licensing, platform support, and terrible effort required in integration)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VikingofRock posted:

You make a good point, we should do our scripting in FilterTop

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

labview is really pretty fuckin awesome

(if you can ignore the licensing, platform support, and terrible effort required in integration)

there are good reasons the National Instruments GPIB and A-D I/O cards are still hella expensive, even the 20-30 year old NuBus models for the Mac II and Quadra

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i have never had a really bad time debugging labview code, because the debugger is the primary interface to interact with code at all. it is a wonderful model

where it all breaks down is trying to write code that integrates with labview.

worst. sdk. ever. at least, in 2004

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

there are good reasons the National Instruments GPIB and A-D I/O cards are still hella expensive, even the 20-30 year old NuBus models for the Mac II and Quadra

because folks paid for mac II labview licenses and are deeply, terribly frightened of an upgrade? :q:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I don’t recall what I saw of the original Mac SDK in the early 1990s as being particularly bad

maybe that’s why all that old hardware is still in use, nobody knows how to port the custom software forward

(you can still download all the old drivers and SDKs from ftp.ni.com too of course, including PDF docs)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I don’t recall what I saw of the original Mac SDK in the early 1990s as being particularly bad

maybe that’s why all that old hardware is still in use, nobody knows how to port the custom software forward

(you can still download all the old drivers and SDKs from ftp.ni.com too of course, including PDF docs)

from what I can recall, the interface between lab view and external C code is almost entirely in-debugable. a cruel twist from a language built around debugging

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
visual programming languages are an idea so tantalyzingly obvious. so seductive. by unfurling our linear programs into 2d diagrams, they will become intuitive. why, even a child could follow a flow-chart which converts temperature in fahrenheit to celsius and understand how it works! at a glance! python by comparison is a hopeless miasma; a sea of bizarre punctuation characters and juxtaposed sentence fragments. structure is far less obvious and natural than in the graphical presentation. the age of text-based programming is dead!

we will never be free of this spectre. simple things are so simple in visual programming languages that the mounting inconvenience of building large, complex programs in this fashion will only ever be discovered when things are far too late. the incidental problems of planar layout, the need to reinvent all the tools available for text- fuzzy searching, revision control, diffing, etc- the aching slowness of dragging together programs box by box and threading them together. these are all a slow chilling after the initial excitement. perhaps if we we just stacked the boxes like this, or used color-coded handles, or made it more like a spreadsheet- yes, it will all be different this time.

visual programming has been the way of the future for 50 years, in countless guises, and I have no doubt it will keep resurfacing and failing for the next century.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean what do you expect from a cohort that thinks comic books are a superior narrative medium to novels

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Sapozhnik posted:

i mean what do you expect from a cohort that thinks comic books are a superior narrative medium to novels

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm triggered

(comics are a great medium too, don't be like that)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

comics are books for children and or illiterate people

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
no

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eh, most of the are for kids.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
if i get you guys at secret santa I'll not send you cool comics like Asterios Polyp, I'll send you CRAP instead, you've been warned.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*reading Great Expectations* this loving blows can you intersperse it with pictures of cartoon tits for me to gawk at

also it needs more fight scenes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ah, the zero sum argument

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
q: is tis-100 a visual programming language?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
comic books may not be bad but they are directly responsible for comic book movies

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

comic books may not be bad but they are directly responsible for comic book movies

Agreed. They're entirely awful.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ready player one

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Symbolic Butt posted:

kinda.
a similar example is also blueprints from unreal engine 4, which is a visual programming language in which people have recreated entire minecraft clones from scratch. the voxel engine, the gameplay, the terrain generation, everything.

i don't know why one would want to do that, seeing how it's a gigantic loving mess, but you can.

Fiedler posted:

Agreed. They're entirely awful.

i just don't watch them. i dunno what else to tell you, except don't watch poo poo you dislike.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

black panther owns, gently caress you

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
The fact that Labview is used to control actual machinery is horrifying. At least bash can't blow anything up or maim someone if you screw up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Symbolic Butt posted:

reminds me of bluej, really

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

HappyHippo posted:

The fact that Labview is used to control actual machinery is horrifying. At least bash can't blow anything up or maim someone if you screw up.

not with that attitude

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Truga posted:

i just don't watch them. i dunno what else to tell you, except don't watch poo poo you dislike.

Don't worry, I don't watch them.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

labview doesn't let you zoom because lots of its interpretation of what the blocks in the window are supposed to do comes down to the relative positions of the pixels in the icons and wires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the wiseman bowed his head and spoke: text is actually a kind of visualization. you imbecile. you loving moron