Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I've always done it at 50 just to finish my journey. Outside of the first Necro season, I've never tried to push beyond minimum required GR to finish the journey though, so not recommended if you want to go higher and/or get the most out of your augment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DrSeRRoD posted:

I've always done it at 50 just to finish my journey. Outside of the first Necro season, I've never tried to push beyond minimum required GR to finish the journey though, so not recommended if you want to go higher and/or get the most out of your augment.

Same. Though I can do a GR70 or 80 or whatever, I never try to upgrade gems unless it's 100% chance.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

How many times can you augment? Does it stack or does it get replaced?

Hit 70 on my HC necromancer alt and have 2 pcs of inarius. Shooting for lazy storm but even while just using cursed scythe and bone armor, it feels fun and tanky. It probably has that I got all my cube stuff while leveling and was able to forge my weapon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fairly certain it gets replaced.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Kyrosiris posted:

If it didn't there'd be God Weapons with more statpiles than the rest of peoples' gear combined, barring a huge diminishing returns mechanic for repeated augments.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I went with 60 level gems because I cruised through 70 easily and am now replacing them with 80s. Grift 90 being close to my maximum.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kyrosiris posted:

It does get overwritten, as any idiot who accidentally blew a level 75 gem on an amethyst augment can attest. Not that I would know anything about that.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Thorns Crusader is so weird but I'm having a good time. Put an emerald in my weapon on autopilot and then realized I messed up. Stabbing stuff really fast with Pig Sticker as a Crusader feels so wrong but is hilarious. I've been running without a companion because I don't really need one it seems like and they just distract from my big murder piles that explode against me. Am I going to want one at some point?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You can get 60% gem upgrades to current GR +1, so when I am upgrading for pushing I'll take the gem that high and augment. Since GR +2 is 30% and I can't take multiple GR runs in a row where all reroll attempts fail.

Also, remember to upgrade a Gem of Ease to use in your weapon on farm runs, especially anyone using two weapons, to get even more paragon farming.

Edit: Seriously, doing GR90s+ with a Gem of Ease at 104 kept the paragon gravy train running last season when I was dropping bells.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 9, 2018

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

WhatEvil posted:

It should be the highest you can reasonably get. I did the highest GRifts I could do, and upgraded the gem until I had only like an 8% chance of getting the next upgrade, which I think is when the gem 2 levels above the GR level, then gave up.

The time you spend trying to get those sub-60% rolls is arguably longer than that of just using it and then having a slight edge in levelling up another one.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

beejay posted:

Thorns Crusader is so weird but I'm having a good time. Put an emerald in my weapon on autopilot and then realized I messed up. Stabbing stuff really fast with Pig Sticker as a Crusader feels so wrong but is hilarious. I've been running without a companion because I don't really need one it seems like and they just distract from my big murder piles that explode against me. Am I going to want one at some point?

Yes, the Templar plays nicely with an Invoker crusader. Choose the left skill from all his options and he'll have a ton of ways to heal you without any of his goofball attacks that may distract enemies from impaling themselves on you.

I usually prefer the enchantress for everything, except Thorns. Can't provoke a chicken, they say.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dameius posted:

You can get 60% gem upgrades to current GR +1, so when I am upgrading for pushing I'll take the gem that high and augment. Since GR +2 is 30% and I can't take multiple GR runs in a row where all reroll attempts fail.

Also, remember to upgrade a Gem of Ease to use in your weapon on farm runs, especially anyone using two weapons, to get even more paragon farming.

Edit: Seriously, doing GR90s+ with a Gem of Ease at 104 kept the paragon gravy train running last season when I was dropping bells.

Gem of ease, really? Would I be getting paragon levels faster by doing gr80s in 5 minutes with an emerald or doing gr70s in 5 minutes with a gem of ease? I didn't think its xp gain scaled well after hitting 70.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

You can also do fun things with legendaries on followers, like wearing unities and then giving them the "cannot die" relic so you have permanent 50% damage reduction. Or give him an oculus and let him spawn little damage boosting zones for you. There's probably more but im kinda new to not being a filthy casual

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dameius posted:

Minimum.

Again, a level 69 gem is only marginally weaker in terms of pure sheet stats and the positive psychological effects vastly outshine the slight numerical disadvantage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

big cummers ONLY posted:

You can also do fun things with legendaries on followers, like wearing unities and then giving them the "cannot die" relic so you have permanent 50% damage reduction. Or give him an oculus and let him spawn little damage boosting zones for you. There's probably more but im kinda new to not being a filthy casual

Ess of Johan and Overwhelming Desire are good amulet choices for a follower. Oculus is more or less a necessity for upper solo GR.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Again, a level 69 gem is only marginally weaker in terms of pure sheet stats and the positive psychological effects vastly outshine the slight numerical disadvantage.

This is true. I just cleared a Gr90 on my Hardcore Crusader courtesy of a 69 augment on his gloves.

Season journey complete :toot:

I'm glad the final portrait frame has an actual spear on it instead of just Slightly Different Color Highlighted Bit

Also I'm gonna be honest, I have never equipped a bane of the Stricken. Is it just for serious hp wall rift guardians on like gr100+ or what? I never end up with 3 good pieces of jewelry so I skip Stricken every time.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 9, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bane of the Stricken is a good choice for builds with very fast attacks that struggle against high HP enemies, i.e. Hammerdins, Frozen Orb, etc. Since the GR scaling changes awhile back it's not as necessary as it once was because RG health is much comparatively lower. That being said you should always always roll jewelry for sockets because even the worst DPS gem option is still better than whatever other affix you would put on it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

exquisite tea posted:

Bane of the Stricken is a good choice for builds with very fast attacks that struggle against high HP enemies, i.e. Hammerdins, Frozen Orb, etc. Since the GR scaling changes awhile back it's not as necessary as it once was because RG health is much comparatively lower. That being said you should always always roll jewelry for sockets because even the worst DPS gem option is still better than whatever other affix you would put on it.

I have like the worst possible Akkan amulet that didn't roll with crit, crit D, or socket. I figure crit chance or damage (useful always) is better than Stricken (useful against rift guardians above 90) but I also play on console where all damage is doubled so it may not be an apples to apples situation here.

Bring on Monday so I can reroll this bitch

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have like the worst possible Akkan amulet that didn't roll with crit, crit D, or socket. I figure crit chance or damage (useful always) is better than Stricken (useful against rift guardians above 90) but I also play on console where all damage is doubled so it may not be an apples to apples situation here.

Bring on Monday so I can reroll this bitch
I assume you want an ancient/primal necklace or else wouldn't it be cheaper to reroll set item?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tugboat Willy posted:

I assume you want an ancient/primal necklace or else wouldn't it be cheaper to reroll set item?

The convert set Item thing? I forgot about that, to be honest.

But with six possible things for it to roll into, I'm looking at a little over 60 death-breath and 60 lost souls for single shot at it, with a guarantee that it won't be ancient. Compared to reforging which is only like 50 forgotten Souls and a 10% chance of being ancient...

Hmmm

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is true. I just cleared a Gr90 on my Hardcore Crusader courtesy of a 69 augment on his gloves.

Season journey complete :toot:

I'm glad the final portrait frame has an actual spear on it instead of just Slightly Different Color Highlighted Bit

Also I'm gonna be honest, I have never equipped a bane of the Stricken. Is it just for serious hp wall rift guardians on like gr100+ or what? I never end up with 3 good pieces of jewelry so I skip Stricken every time.

Stricken becomes needed when you start doing really high solo (or if you are the guardian killer in a group). The stacking % is essential to beat a boss in a reasonable time. Like last season on my sader if I ran 110+ solo I could clear the rift in 8-9 minutes but then I'm spending 5+ minutes to kill the RG because of their insane health pool. It would probably be double the time without stricken stacking the % damage every time I hit the boss.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
P670 and GR85 complete. Still only have a single Unity. I think this feels worse than if I'd gotten none at all.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Gem of ease, really? Would I be getting paragon levels faster by doing gr80s in 5 minutes with an emerald or doing gr70s in 5 minutes with a gem of ease? I didn't think its xp gain scaled well after hitting 70.

If you are farming, you should be aiming for the highest level you can do in 3-4 minutes.

Ideally you get in a group so you are not carrying a 100% of the work to make it even easier.

Or maximum leech, you are the ww zbarb or zmonk in speed runs where you having emeralds in your weapon matter even less and you soak up the bonus xp with even less effort.

Using GoE is not needed and it is definitely min/maxing to the extreme, but last season on my monk it stayed equipped for everything that I did that wasn't specifically solo pushing (I didn't do group pushing) and it adds up over playtime.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 9, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dameius posted:

If you are farming, you should be aiming for the highest level you can do in 3-4 minutes.

Ideally you get in a group so you are not carrying a 100% of the work to make it even easier.

Or maximum leech, you are the ww zbarb or zmonk in speed runs where you having emeralds in your weapon matter even less and you soak up the bonus xp with even less effort.

Using GoE is not needed and it is definitely min/maxing to the extreme, but last season on my monk it stayed equipped for everything that I did that wasn't specifically solo pushing (I didn't do group pushing) and it adds up over playtime.

What level does the gem of ease have to be to offset that your highest 4 minute grift would be like 10+ levels higher with an emerald? I ran a gr70 with a 69gem of ease and it seemed like it was barely any extra xp.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Idk. I never did the math on breakpoints. It may also not work out for people who don't dual wield weapons. My monk still had like +400% crit damage with the gem in. Thinking about it, this is something that might only work mid season on when you can have over 10k mainstat in farm gear, be dual wielding weapons, and maybe playing in a group. So if you are a bell monk or nat dh or ww barb then you'll have an edge.

I know it works though because I caught up with someone that I grouped with for 100% of my playtime who had higher paragon than me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wound up getting a full unhallowed ess set in the course of just, you know, mucking about. As it turns out the multishot build has some gem overlap with natmara and I happened to have all the gear recommended on icy veins. Though I swapped out my cubed convention of elements for unity.

I'm comfortable at this GR80 zone I'm at since I'm also playing other games

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Xarbala posted:

I wound up getting a full unhallowed ess set in the course of just, you know, mucking about. As it turns out the multishot build has some gem overlap with natmara and I happened to have all the gear recommended on icy veins. Though I swapped out my cubed convention of elements for unity.

I'm comfortable at this GR80 zone I'm at since I'm also playing other games

The real season journey is taking all 4 sets to gr75, my man!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Feels good guys. I finally broke GR90. Although I don't do nearly enough damage as I want. The augments really help. RNG really sucks for me trying to find a new quiver.

Stank
Feb 14, 2018

ASK ME TO LINK THE POST THAT GOT ME BANNED FROM REDDIT!!!
I haven't played this game since the paladin was released and I don't want to deal with learning path of exile now. Should I try d3 again?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yes.

Edit: Yes with more words.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It is actually pretty fun if you roll up a seasonal char and try to complete the season journey. Which is something I didn't expect when I picked this game back up after launch.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
What is the 2nd easiest conquest to complete this season? Am DH.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

MikeC posted:

What is the 2nd easiest conquest to complete this season? Am DH.

GR75 & Curses are probably the easiest, with The Thrill close behind them, only because you may need to stock up on some decent items to replace your set pieces.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The Thrill < Curses < Divinity < Masters of the Universe < Sprinter

It does not matter which class you are.

^edit: Curses could certainly be easier if you consider grouping up

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The thrill is insanely easy in 2.6 era. By the time you've cleared a 75 you absolutely have enough gear and paragons to do the thrill.

IMHO curses is impossible solo, if only because fishing for Cursed Peat takes an hour+

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
RNG is gonna RNG but cursed peat has never taken more than 15 for me to ding. And if you are a DH then build a multishot build and do Curses and the no set 45 in the same go.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I got lucky and found cursed peat the first time I looked for it

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thrill it is then, thanks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I Mastered all 4 Monk set dungeons in an hour. I one shot Inna's, 2 shot SWK, 3-4 tries before i punked Uliana, and then spent 30 minutes on Raiment before i went "FUQ THIS", jammed Incense Torch, Kyro's Blade and Pinto's Pride into my build and did it EASILY in one more shot.

What is the most bullshit DH one? I'm gonna clear those all on my day off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bust Rodd posted:

What is the most bullshit DH one? I'm gonna clear those all on my day off.

Shadow, and only because you have to not spec anything that makes Impale awesome.

Remove DoT runes, don't equip Holy Point Shot, and it becomes piss easy.