Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pffft, miniatures, I prefer my board wargames, where I don't have to do some menial task like painting before I get the game on the table

*spends three hours clipping counters for an OCS game*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

Pffft, miniatures, I prefer my board wargames, where I don't have to do some menial task like painting before I get the game on the table

*spends three hours clipping counters for an OCS game*

:lol: good job spending a ton of money on brushes and painting supplies when you could've purchased another $300 module, IDIOT! :smuggo:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I hope I didn't come off as denigrating the rule-set because it was for minis. Minis are cool. My comments were in light of our discussion of modeling the entire Vietnam conflict, politics, coups, factions and all. I haven't run across a minis rule set that tries to tackle all that with the possible exception of the kickstarter I posted earlier:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ct&term=vietnam

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 9, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I hope I didn't come off as denigrating the rule-set because it was for minis. Minis are cool. My comments were in light of our discussion of modeling the entire Vietnam conflict, politics, coups, factions and all. I haven't run across a minis rule set that tries to tackle all that.
Nah no worries, this isn't really the thread for minis anyway, so it's just some light joking at the expense of both board wargamers and minis wargamers. I used to be into minis more but I don't find painting enjoyable, which is why the only one I still play is X-Wing.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I’d say that’s exactly why. You already have all the information for the past conflict so it should be reasonably expected to model the why and how.

You can certainly model how the victor prevailed, but determining what would have constituted victory for the losers in any modern conflict is a dicey proposition. The days when war goals were essentially area control are over. Would an RVN "victory" be business as usual, with generals staging coups every few months or years as long as foreign aid kept pouring in? How would that differ from a US "victory" in Vietnam? And as has been mentioned, there's still debate about to what extent the NLF was a separate entity from the NVA.

My broader point is that people are discussing how the COIN system is inadequate to truly represent these conflicts, but I'd rather focus on how they are better representations than any previous attempts.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CaptainRightful posted:

You can certainly model how the victor prevailed, but determining what would have constituted victory for the losers in any modern conflict is a dicey proposition. The days when war goals were essentially area control are over. Would an RVN "victory" be business as usual, with generals staging coups every few months or years as long as foreign aid kept pouring in? How would that differ from a US "victory" in Vietnam? And as has been mentioned, there's still debate about to what extent the NLF was a separate entity from the NVA.

My broader point is that people are discussing how the COIN system is inadequate to truly represent these conflicts, but I'd rather focus on how they are better representations than any previous attempts.

I think as time has gone on, they've done a pretty good job of changing things around- CT is a really solidly put together game that does a pretty good job with its theme and kind of leaving out the cruft.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Can anyone provide a summary of the rules for Up Front and why the game is so beloved? Also I'm glad that I wasn't really interested in wargames as much when the KS came out because I would have probably backed at the time.

Up Front seems like a good game until you get caught in a loop where your opponent draws all the cards you need and you draw all the cards they need and the game state freezes for 45 minutes while you both discard over and over again.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I got my hands on a copy many years ago because of everyone seemed to be going crazy over it and since I couldn't make heads or tails of the rules, a nice gentleman sat down with me and walked me through a couple of games.

I remember thinking "That's it?" as I left and I sold it shortly thereafter.

Welp, that's my Up Front story. Thanks for reading!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Up Front is really engaging but it's got to be a quick, snappy game where you get invested in your men and their struggles while the cards fly in and out of your hand. And for many games it is but with unfortunate frequency it turns into something that is very much not that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Y’all I hosed up

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

Y’all I hosed up

What’s underneath?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

What’s underneath?

The latest BAR game.

edit-- BAR is an incredible system and more people should play it. They took the La Bat rules, refined them, and made the subject way more interesting to me personally (Frederick the Great instead of Napoleon)

edit2-- and they have hands down some of the most gorgeous maps in wargaming

(click for big because it's worth it)

okay I'm done gushing over BAR.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 12, 2018

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

The latest BAR game.

edit-- BAR is an incredible system and more people should play it. They took the La Bat rules, refined them, and made the subject way more interesting to me personally (Frederick the Great instead of Napoleon)

edit2-- and they have hands down some of the most gorgeous maps in wargaming

(click for big because it's worth it)

okay I'm done gushing over BAR.

I really want to play/like BAR but no rules online = no buy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

I really want to play/like BAR but no rules online = no buy.

Yeah that's a weird bummer. You can buy the rules online for $6 but that's... stupid.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

edit2-- and they have hands down some of the most gorgeous maps in wargaming.

That box art is also far prettier than one expects from a wargame! I've considered buying one of those Hexasim Napoleonic games just because the maps look so nice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I hope I didn't come off as denigrating the rule-set because it was for minis. Minis are cool. My comments were in light of our discussion of modeling the entire Vietnam conflict, politics, coups, factions and all. I haven't run across a minis rule set that tries to tackle all that with the possible exception of the kickstarter I posted earlier:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ct&term=vietnam

Still no rules. I din't know why you go to KS without at least a draft you can wave in peoples faces while you yell about how cool this is.

On the other side of the line from miniatures games lie RPGS, this one looks like a really solid take on the subject, and could use minis: Patrol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
This week's project:

I tried GMT's The US Civil War but couldn't digest the rules. Something about Victory's version is clicking instantly for me. It's a really slick and elegant design. Just enough chrome to feel good, but not to the point where you have to constantly refer to the rules to figure out special use cases. I see why it gets so much praise.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
fof where?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Civil War was still set up when the mail came yesterday. FOF is next.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
You're gonna sell it before you play it. Mark my words.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

You're gonna sell it before you play it. Mark my words.

I’m not gonna let that happen a fourth time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

I’m not gonna let that happen a fourth time.
:allears:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

And, lo and behold, I now have several favorite games that are card driven (MMP Kingdom of Heaven, Hexasim Napoleon Against Europe, GMT Twilight Struggle, Acadamy Strike of the Eagle).

I don't see Here I Stand / Virgin Queen there :negative:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forgive me for keeping the link to this year's hottest premiere as a facebook gallery.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lichtenstein posted:

Forgive me for keeping the link to this year's hottest premiere as a facebook gallery.

I don't see a space for KRUPP STEEL or CLEAN WEHRMACHT anywhere :confused:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't see a space for KRUPP STEEL or CLEAN WEHRMACHT anywhere :confused:

Well, the jail is clearly empty.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Folks,

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I won't believe you've actually played it until I see video footage.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
nice photoshop

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

fake news

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

i'm the vomit bowl under the table

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
There's a million runthroughs of Trevieres Offensive on Youtube (okay, like 3), so I'll just provide photo evidence when I'm done.

But then I'm gonna record the 2nd mission :getin:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

There's a million runthroughs of Trevieres Offensive on Youtube (okay, like 3), so I'll just provide photo evidence when I'm done.

Weird, the toxxx icon isn't loading for me

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

If you do, I'll definitely watch it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

If you do, I'll definitely watch it.

:same:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Weird, the toxxx icon isn't loading for me
COOL CORN EAT THE EGGS DO THE TOXX

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Five turns in and I’ve had some very good contact checks. Rows 1 and 2 are clear, and now I just have to clear out the primary and secondary objectives.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Barely pulled off a victory in hard mode (victory only allowed in final scoring) vs the Pendragon bots. I started as both barbarians and split to the Scotti after playing the Saxon pivotal event. I like this medium-length scenario, the 4-epoch one that starts in Roman Rule but with some barbarians on the map. The only real downside is that Scotti's pivotal starts already played so they don't have that option, which could be kind of dull for a Scotti player in multiplayer.

I barely won as Scotti, and that was only because the final scoring is somewhat different for Scotti than it is during Epoch victory checks. Scotti have a harder time scoring renown in the late stages of Fragmentation because there's less gold to plunder all over, but I was saved by having 6 settlements on the board at game end. Civitates almost won just before this thanks to a lot of marches to recapture their core provinces.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
End of mission 1:

I managed to clear the secondary objective, but the primary objective still had a stubborn LMG team that was holding on as a fire team LAT. And the secondary objective spawned a double squad position adjacent to them, luckily they didn't spawn on the same card. But I managed to clear all of the first two rows. Honestly, I'm really happy with the second edition. I've had to make a couple executive decisions, but all around it's a better product than the first edition, and the player aid cards are WAY better.

Looks like mission two is the exact same thing but it's a 3x5 grid instead of 3x3. We'll see how that goes!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I liked pendragon but it isn’t a good game imo, more to come later