Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

Sea of Clouds is pretty, at least, if a pain in the rear end to get around.

Just wait. :unsmigghh:

And yes, AST is kinda ehh DPS-wise until you get Gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jalapeno_dude posted:

That's your problem right there. The level 50 weapon is technically i115, but it's NQ not HQ, so in terms of weapon damage it's more like i95 or so. Invest 500 poetics in the i120 ironworks weapon, then 100 more to upgrade it to i130, and it should feel much better.

In general buying vendor gear is a trap because they sell NQ rather than HQ gear, and this makes the largest difference for weapons because you're taking a hit in damage in addition to stats. Don't do it.

Ah, and here I'd been blowing my poetics on gear for other classes for when I hit this point.

Fair enough, I waited to grind AST up to 50 before starting HW, I can afford to wait for a better weapon since my current one is less than impressive.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SCH and AST can't really compare to WHM on the damage front, even with better weapons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

SCH and AST can't really compare to WHM on the damage front, even with better weapons.

Even so, I find AST more interesting to play even if the numbers are lower, and AST has much cooler looking weapons and outfits.

KoB
May 1, 2009

:feelsgood:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

Even so, I find AST more interesting to play even if the numbers are lower, and AST has much cooler looking weapons and outfits.

Nothing wrong with what you find interesting. Just keep in mind that AST is probably the worst damage dealer of the healers and even improving you gear won't make that aspect feel any better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

Nothing wrong with what you find interesting. Just keep in mind that AST is probably the worst damage dealer of the healers and even improving you gear won't make that aspect feel any better.

I'll see how things feel in two or three days with an upgraded ironworks thingamajig, I suppose.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I'll see how things feel in two or three days with an upgraded ironworks thingamajig, I suppose.

That will help, but nothing’s like Swiftcast/Lightspeed Gravity.

It isn’t Holy, but it does help.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Does anyone know what happens to all your furnishing now if your house explodes? I'm thinking of quitting long term, like until next expansion. It'd be nice if it just went into storage and it'd be available if I was ever able to buy a house again.

Also yeah ast is a poor man's whm in 4 mans. It's very evident by level 62, but even sch crushes it by the time 70 rolls around. If you don't play the other healers through to those levels though, you'll be blissfully oblivious to how much smoother the other healers feel, so you can keep enjoying ast.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

That will help, but nothing’s like Lightspeed Gravity.

I discovered this today. :allears:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I discovered this today. :allears:

it's alright....but it's still a pale imitation of holy :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Die Sexmonster! posted:

That will help, but nothing’s like Swiftcast/Lightspeed Gravity.

It isn’t Holy, but it does help.

Lightspeed Gravity, very frequently not worth it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I haven't played this game in like, 3 months, and of course my first move was to buy stuff off the Mogstation.

:downsgun:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gravity has always felt unsatisfying to me. It kind of seems like it should affect a larger area than it does because it never quite hits everything I aim it at.

Holy, on the other hand, always feels extremely good.

e: finally got to God Kefka, but while discussing some initial positioning one person got booted for not moving their controller in 10 minutes. Then we failed to get back for the rest of the night. :downsgun:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 9, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gravity has a loving amazing sound but it feels worse than Holy just to begin with. Add into the fact that you can't spam it anywhere near as often even at the best of times (as opposed to lol thin air) and Ast just feels unsatisfying.

Honestly removing the damage debuff from lightspeed would be nice if potentially hard to balance.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Don't worry, Lightspeed is still a DPS increase when you need to use a bunch of oGCD abilities in a row. Which is basically every time sleeve draw is off cooldown. Too bad they don't have the same cooldown, right?

There's no real reason for Lightspeed to have a damage down component anymore. AST pDPS is so miserable that nothing is going to break balance wise if they get that 20 percent back. In fact, clipping is such an issue and AST is so lacking that using cleric stance could actually make you lose DPS.

Enjoy the job!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh boy Clown is a big BIG step up from the rest of Sigmascape. Even bigger than Exdad was, really

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I haven't played this game in like, 3 months, and of course my first move was to buy stuff off the Mogstation.

:downsgun:

This is correct and good.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i cant decide if i want to focus on rdm or mnk, both are very good and fun

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Thumbtacks posted:

i cant decide if i want to focus on rdm or mnk, both are very good and fun

Monk

Monk Monk Monk Monk Monk

MONK

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 9, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

What is this chest piece?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shy posted:

What is this chest piece?

The one in that GIF? Augmented AF1.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Anyone have a nice guide to help ease me back into crafting? I signed back up to hang with a friend's FC but since the last time I played all my macros and stuff were deleted because of a hard drive wipe, and I don't wanna go wasting gil like an idiot. :nyoron:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
The monk af1 is secretly the best dress in the game but I prefer the purple cathands

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Monk

Monk Monk Monk Monk Monk

MONK

You have chosen the correct outfit color and fist glamour.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I dunno.....they're good, but they're no bunny fists.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I dunno.....they're good, but they're no bunny fists kettles.

ftfy

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh...I thought those were the kettles.

All glowy poo poo looks the same.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
If I ever MNK I'm glamming invisible fists and never looking back.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

You say that, but the makai fists are invisible fists with more anime.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Yeah, I actually use the Emperor's New Fists as glam, but that gif has me re-thinking that, because I do loves me some glowy poo poo. Hmmm....

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

FF14 is kinda wierd in that base weapon damage does alot more then Dex/Str/Int/Pie so anything with more weapon damage is just about always an upgrade. I think it's like 26 damage flat per weapon damage vs 1 for your main stat before modifiers.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

"Weapon damage matters" - a truly novel idea for a Final Fantasy game.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'd play Monk more often if I could find a good chestpiece for my Kenshiro glamour.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

rhoga posted:

You say that, but the makai fists are invisible fists with more anime.

Yeah, but I believe those overwrite your gloves even if sheathed so they're not really invisible. They have a look to them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

"Weapon damage matters" - a truly novel idea for a Final Fantasy game.

I can see where the sentiment comes from. Casters in a lot of other MMOs (also like most other Final Fantasy games) ignore weapon damage and look at secondary stats or abilities.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yesterday in Alliance Roulette I saw someone with a really convincing Chie Satonaka cosplay, and yes, they were a monk. Good poo poo.

Monk

Monk Monk Monk Monk Monk

MONK

Wearing magical kettles on your hands makes me wish you could glamour DoH gear onto DoW jobs. Imaging waltzing into battle wearing a full CUL getup and punching dudes with your cookwear.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Leofish posted:

If I ever MNK I'm glamming invisible fists and never looking back.

Try to take some time out to also get the S1T7 fists.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah, I actually use the Emperor's New Fists as glam, but that gif has me re-thinking that, because I do loves me some glowy poo poo. Hmmm....

Do not start down the glowing weapon path my friend. Only sadness, anger and despair lie down that road.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Try to take some time out to also get the S1T7 fists.

Legit love the Sephirot fists but there's not exactly a ton of armors to go with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

DizzyBum posted:

a really convincing Chie Satonaka cosplay

Go on...