Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk which is worse, kilograms or Celsius. both are based on arbitrary constants. probably kilograms tho cause the reference value is known to be incorrect but they continue to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

muckswirler posted:

I don't care but here's one. 0-100 degrees is about the tolerable range of human comfort.

0 degrees F is "comfortable"?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
with proper clothing sure, but its more that its the lower limit of what most humans experience same as 100 being the upper limit

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's more that places where the temperature regularly departs from that range are places humans should probably not live

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

idk which is worse, kilograms or Celsius. both are based on arbitrary constants. probably kilograms tho cause the reference value is known to be incorrect but they continue to use it

naw everything else in the world is just fluctuating while the reference stays perfectly still

anyway it's getting redefined this year based on the watt balance, and they're also apparently redefining the mol and ruining avocado's number :sigh:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

with proper clothing sure, but its more that its the lower limit of what most humans experience same as 100 being the upper limit

so 0 degrees is comfortable with proper clothing, but -5 would not be?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shaggar posted:

uuuuuuuh

wrong

it gets to -40 here

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FrozenVent posted:

uuuuuuuh

wrong

it gets to -40 here

lay off, he only knows what maine is like

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wheany posted:

so 0 degrees is comfortable with proper clothing, but -5 would not be?

back in rochester 0 was the point where it went from "unpleasantly cold" to "my face starts to burn" so yes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
because i'd say the comfortable lower limit is around -5 to -10 C (23 to 14 F). lower than that and it starts getting into the "too cold" for me.

almost like it's arbitrary.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if you guys were given the power to instantly annihilate any one social media website - facebook, twitter, w/e - which one would you choose?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it doesn't help that thermostats can reckon temperatures very different from the ones you're feeling in the space, so comparing my comfortable 22-degree house to the oven yours would be is a bit silly

redefining units of measurement in terms of universal constants is great but only if the others follow suit; like, i think it's okay for kg of water to be 1000 cm3 at STP because not everyone has the means to measure h to a thousand decimal places but just about everyone's got a bucket

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Wheany posted:

because i'd say the comfortable lower limit is around -5 to -10 C (23 to 14 F). lower than that and it starts getting into the "too cold" for me.

almost like it's arbitrary.

celsius? yes

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if you guys were given the power to instantly annihilate any one social media website - facebook, twitter, w/e - which one would you choose?

facebook. that way the run of the mill maga chud is completely isolated

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

points/picas are legitimately useful for doing layouts since most grid systems are multiples of 3 or 4 so it's easier to divide space using whole numbers and points are a good base unit because a mm is too large an 0.1mm is too small

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The something awful forums

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

im gonna have to go with facebook, i think. its such an absolute cesspool of boomer poison.

on the other hand, if it provided some kind of containment function, then it might be a good thing, but i dont think it dies that.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Shaggar posted:

Celsius... based on arbitrary constants.

the deranged mind of an american

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
reddit, it's worse than facebook at letting bad communities fester

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flakeloaf posted:

all systems of measurement are arbitrary and the ones people learned as children are the ones they're more likely to prefer

the problem with customary units is that they were mostly not systemic. only the u.s. and u.k. ever standardized their customary systems, fixing unit sizes and the relationship among units. other countries had dozens of different customary units that varied town to town and marketplace to marketplace. a libra in seville was not the same as a libra in madrid, and neither matched up precisely to a libra in barcelona.

metric spread through europe one business or one marketplace at a time. the standardization of the thing was intrinsically appealing. a kilo is a kilo is a kilo.

in the u.s. there was no appeal to picking up the french system: new york, chicago, and los angeles were all interoperating just fine with identical, standardized feet, pounds, and gallons.

likewise, the u.k. had little interest in adopting the metric system until their trade links with europe became more vital than their trade links with imperial possessions

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

it doesn't help that thermostats can reckon temperatures very different from the ones you're feeling in the space, so comparing my comfortable 22-degree house to the oven yours would be is a bit silly

redefining units of measurement in terms of universal constants is great but only if the others follow suit; like, i think it's okay for kg of water to be 1000 cm3 at STP because not everyone has the means to measure h to a thousand decimal places but just about everyone's got a bucket

what kind of water though? cause density is a thing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

haveblue posted:

reddit, it's worse than facebook at letting bad communities fester

ooh. yeah. i wanna change my answer to this.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

uuuuuuuh

wrong

it gets to -40 here

extreme outliers exist, but 0 is still a better lower average limit. Its based on a brine and ice solution which is good because the water in our own bodies is salty.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

what kind of water though? cause density is a thing

one hydrogen atom and two oxygen-16 atoms, which is the kind of water you probably don't have access to if your scientific equipment includes buckets

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tokamak posted:

what constants is it based on?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

what constants is it based on?

Tokamak posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

one hydrogen atom and two oxygen-16 atoms, which is the kind of water you probably don't have access to if your scientific equipment includes buckets

i thought it was based on vienna standard mean ocean water, so an isotopic mixture based on collecting water from several points around the globe

presumably in your bucket

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean this is basically a bucket right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

metric users know its arbitrary but they cant admit how wrong they are and how badly they want to use US customary.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FrozenVent posted:

the only reason people think imperial units are good is because they grew up with it and are used to it

same thing with pro-circumcision arguments

seriously somebody try to explain why Fahrenheit is better than Celsius, without using “that’s what I’m used to”

circumcision is good

also same thing with tipping. tippnig is dumb

and planes, why is it so easy to takeoff on a treadmill

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

seawater is ~1025 grams per liter

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

qirex posted:

seawater is ~1025 grams per liter

yeah

loading ships involves taking samples of seawater and testing them for density a lot

because when you’re dealing with 50k tons “it rained yesterday” makes a difference

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cat Face Joe posted:

celsius? yes

yes, the temperature at which a person feels comfortable is arbitrary in celsius... and also in fahrenheit, because it's arbitrary.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

metric users know its arbitrary but they cant admit how wrong they are and how badly they want to use US customary.

americans: desperately defending barbaric customs long after the rest of the world has moved on

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

yeah

loading ships involves taking samples of seawater and testing them for density a lot

because when you’re dealing with 50k tons “it rained yesterday” makes a difference

hm, i'd never stopped to think about that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

americans: desperately defending barbaric customs long after the rest of the world has moved on

you cant even tell me what your units are based on. its embarrassing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Metric units are all based on cesium, the classiest of all atoms

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Xaris posted:

circumcision is good

also same thing with tipping. tippnig is dumb

and planes, why is it so easy to takeoff on a treadmill

you god drat maniac.......

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

three nations on earth use this system of measurement, coincidentally, they all have sub-standard literacy rates and 3rd world living conditions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shaggar posted:

you cant even tell me what your units are based on. its embarrassing.

dont blame us if your american education was lacking, just look it up online yourself