Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LesterGroans posted:

Not really. He started out as fine, but if you go down the list from John Adams to The Danish Girl he gets exponentially worse.

Sure, the script and production design is important, but if he directs it for poo poo then it's a wash. Hugh Jackman for Jean Valjean seemed like a slam dunk too.

Les Mis' major problem was Russell Crowe, other than that I thought it was fine. The Danish Girl I didn't see, but from what I've read the issues with the film are that it's sanitized and kind of boring.

We already know that HDM isn't going to be sanitized (that was one of Philip Pullman's demands when preproduction started) and I guess it's possible to make the series boring but you'd have to actively TRY to make it boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was the last musical before Chicago to win Best Picture? Was there anything between that and Cabaret?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

lelandjs posted:

Les Mis' major problem was Russell Crowe, other than that I thought it was fine. The Danish Girl I didn't see, but from what I've read the issues with the film are that it's sanitized and kind of boring.

We already know that HDM isn't going to be sanitized (that was one of Philip Pullman's demands when preproduction started) and I guess it's possible to make the series boring but you'd have to actively TRY to make it boring.

Well I saw The Danish Girl, and the direction sucked. And the direction of Les Mis was the major problem, not Russell Crowe. So again, not that optimistic.

I remember reading the Golden Compass books as a kid and enjoying them, so I'd definitely enjoy a solid adaptation. I hope Hooper surprises me. I also wouldn't be surprised if he did actively try to make it boring.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What was the last musical before Chicago to win Best Picture? Was there anything between that and Cabaret?

Amadeus

Also, while Cabaret got a ton of awards, it missed out on Best Picture, which went to The Godfather instead.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm completely unsurprised RP1 might flop. Other than Resident Evil, video game movies almost always flop. And make no doubt about it, this is a video game movie. Adapted from a book half the targeted nerd audience ridicules

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I liked John Adams (the miniseries), the only problem with it was the cinematography. It's Dutch angles and shaky cam all the way down

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I'm completely unsurprised RP1 might flop. Other than Resident Evil, video game movies almost always flop. And make no doubt about it, this is a video game movie. Adapted from a book half the targeted nerd audience ridicules

Video game adjacent movies seem to do better than video game movies themselves, ie Wreck it Ralph and the new Jumanji

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Amadeus

Also, while Cabaret got a ton of awards, it missed out on Best Picture, which went to The Godfather instead.

Oh, I see. I knew Fosse won Best Director and must have assumed it got Best Picture as well. Of course in the preceding decade, you had West Side Story (which won far more Oscars than I'd realised), My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music all winning, so you wouldn't need to go back much further.

I'm not sure if I necessarily think of Amadeus as a musical so much as a film with music in it, though. I haven't seen Amadeus since I watched it in school, though.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

joe football posted:

Video game adjacent movies seem to do better than video game movies themselves, ie Wreck it Ralph and the new Jumanji

I'll be honest. I had no idea the new Jumanji was a video game until people started talking about it. However, I will grant RP1 could do well... if it had The Rock and Kevin Hart in it. Instead an unknown pasty nerd.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, I see. I knew Fosse won Best Director and must have assumed it got Best Picture as well. Of course in the preceding decade, you had West Side Story (which won far more Oscars than I'd realised), My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music all winning, so you wouldn't need to go back much further.

I'm not sure if I necessarily think of Amadeus as a musical so much as a film with music in it, though. I haven't seen Amadeus since I watched it in school, though.

No, Amadeus is 100% NOT a musical in any sense of the genre.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Apart from the "Rock Me Amadeus" dance scene the middle of the second act

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Thundercracker posted:

I'll be honest. I had no idea the new Jumanji was a video game until people started talking about it. However, I will grant RP1 could do well... if it had The Rock and Kevin Hart in it. Instead an unknown pasty nerd.

Jumanji ironically does a better job of building a coherent videogame universe than RPO does. Jumanji establishes rules and context, whereas RPO just concerns itself with bolting from pop culture reference to pop culture reference in a vain hope of keeping its nostalgia boner up.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Heh. Like most things in RP1, it’s actually worse: Ernest’s self-insert is super excited to meet Art3mis IRL because her avatar is super hot, so therefore she must be too! But nope, she’s kinda dumpy and chubby but then he doesn’t actually care because Ernest suddenly realizes appearances don’t matter!

Though from checking IMDB it looks like they changed that for the movie because the actress playing Art3mis isn’t even Hollywood fat.

...Also, Ernest’s IMDB profile pic is him cosplaying as a Ghostbuster with Harry “I sexually harassed several of my female employees” Knowles lurking in the background.

quote:

"I got to see [it] a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I've ever seen a movie like this, where so many of the actors play two different roles. One in their own body and then in The Oasis where they're operating another photorealistic body with facial motion capture," he says.

A central aspect to the story is an infatuation with 1980s pop culture, which is not only prominent throughout Cline’s novel, but readily apparent in the film’s trailers. In the context of the story, it’s a byproduct of the characters’ exhaustive research to help them understand the clues to solving Anorak’s Game.

Given the reference-heavy nature of the story, it seemed like an obvious choice to have Steven Spielberg — the man who had a hand in creating many of those films — helm Ready Player One.

However, Cline explains that Spielberg took a more cautious approach when putting the film together. "He was so loath to reference anything of his own. It's not that he's overly humble, but he's just not a fan of being a self-referential or playing tribute to [his] stuff."

Cline attributes Spielberg’s thinking to the director's 1979 comedy, 1941. "That movie opens with a re-creation of the scene from Jaws, with the same actress getting lifted up by the submarine, then later on there's a little tribute to Duel. He was having fun and riffing, and the critics just really laid into him for that. So, I think after 1941 he was just like, 'I'm never referencing my own movies ever again.’"

As a result, Cline, along with others working on the film, had to coerce him into including many of the novel’s elements that pay homage to Spielberg's films.

quote:

To help ready audiences for the film’s release while acknowledging its adoration of films from the ‘80s, the Alamo Drafthouse chain recruited Cline to put together a special programming slate in March leading up to Ready Player One's release at the end of the month.

"They wanted me to select films that had inspired both the novel and the film, and that was a pretty short list," Cline explains. "Most of them are some of my favorite movies, but I also wanted movies that were already in the trailers. You can see visual references to most of those films. So that was kind of my criteria: stuff that had informed or was referenced in the novel, and also ended up making it into the movie in some form."

While some of the selections are obvious, like The Iron Giant, some of the cinematic inspirations proved to be a bit more subversive. One such example is Cameron Crowe’s Say Anything

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ready-player-two-ernest-cline-talks-ready-player-one-sequel-1088676

I can't believe I'm saying it, but this feels like Twilight all over again.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

that makes sense because ready player one is twilight for incels

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Thundercracker posted:

Well when movies are adapted from things the nerd audience loves it bombs horribly (remember Scott Pilgrim's insane pre-release hype versus how nobody actually saw it in theaters?) so making something the broad casual readership liked but the grognards hated is probably a better business decision for them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

raditts posted:

It was kind of hilarious how the movie tried so hard to convince you that Valerian was some kind of strapping ladykiller when he looked and acted like a teenager who was skipping class to play spaceman.

Does it? His first few lines are him being a prick that Laureline barely tolerates, right off the bat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well she pulls up a collage displaying the dozens of women partners he's hosed

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I just found today about this animated movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlgD7JEwAME

I love my country :allears:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

In regards to RP1, I enjoyed the novel way of writing a poo poo book.

(I can't believe it took me this long to realise that was the perfect joke and it's one of my favourites too)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Al Borland Corp. posted:

As we all know, a guy who has slept with tons of women and will say literally anything to bed yet another couldn't possibly be an rear end in a top hat, he must be the coolest guy in the world.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

lelandjs posted:

Pullman gets way too preachy by the end of the trilogy. However the first volume of The Book of Dust, which came out last year, was really great and I think he learned his lesson.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dexie posted:

It's been a long time since I've read the book. What Simpsons joke are we referring to?

It was kind of a low key gag, and I couldn't tell you what episode it was in and I don't quite remember the context, but this is what it was (spoiled because I assume the scene is in the film): there's a row of identical suburban houses, each with nearly identical children playing in identical fashion, complete with a set of children each bouncing an identical red ball in perfect synchronicity with one-another. There may have been a shot of Bart or Lisa looking worried or Marge disapproving.

It's a blink-and-you-miss-it gag, and the only reason I remember it was because when I saw it I thought, "oh, they got that from A Wrinkle in Time."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You're misremembering, it's a gag about school uniforms sapping all the kid's free will. There's an better punchline on top of the reference: LUNCHLADY DORIS: "They've even begun blinking in unison." (disgusting wet noise) SKINNER: "I love that sound."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I hope they keep his visual style with all the hosed up proportions and women who manage to show off their tits and rear end simultaneously in every shot.

They need to go all out and not be subdued like their Marvel shows. I mean, there better be a guy with a dozen mag pouches for guns that the guy isn't carrying; ribbed, padded shoulder pads; skintight bodysuits that are practically painted on; giant caliber guns; and blades that are just sharped steel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

quote:

While some of the selections are obvious, like The Iron Giant, some of the cinematic inspirations proved to be a bit more subversive. One such example is Cameron Crowe’s Say Anything

And, of course, Kevin Smith.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You're misremembering, it's a gag about school uniforms sapping all the kid's free will. There's an better punchline on top of the reference: LUNCHLADY DORIS: "They've even begun blinking in unison." (disgusting wet noise) SKINNER: "I love that sound."

As someone who went to a school that required uniforms, that gag just baffled me as a kid. Worst thing that did to me was having a deep impatience for picking out clothes to buy that i only got over recently.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ah, there you have it then. I over-conflated it with a scene from the book.

I'm still maintain that it's a reference.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Schwarzwald posted:

Ah, there you have it then. I over-conflated it with a scene from the book.

I'm still maintain that it's a reference.

For sure it is, alt.tv.simpsons didn't miss a trick back then in 95 or whenever this episode was:

quote:

Movie (and other) references
~ Cinnaburst commercials {jl}
- "Those magazines cause a disturbing amount of laughter."
+ "The Jazz Singer" {rl}
- "I have no son!" line
+ Styx's song "Mr. Roboto"
- Homer says "Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto", some lyrics from the song
+ "The Killing Fields" {ddg}
- Homer has somehow acquired Dr. Haing S. Ngor's Oscar for his role
in the movie
+ the Nancy Kerrigan incident {th}
- masked person tries to disable a sports figure by bashing their
leg
+ "A Wrinkle in Time" {rt}
- children bouncing balls in unison similar to scene in the movie
+ "Caddyshack" {ddg}
- the end of the bowling match is similar to the end of the movie's
golf match

Not in spoilers cause to be fair, this is in every trailer of the film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ha! Shows how much I've been paying attention.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Netflix is creating a Rob Liefeld cinematic universe, just in case you were getting sick of hearing about their Marvel shows.

the gently caress

this article is just one :headexplosion: in text form.

Liefeld universe? Subversive? Run by Akiva Goldman? Wow.

Here's a little bit of an antidote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU&t=3s

e:

Leavemywife posted:

Honestly, with all the weird mitochondria stuff in Wrinkle in Time, it should just be the first movie of the Parasite Eve cinematic universe.

lol I read this book when I was 10 and remember nothing about it other than something about wormholes and missing fathers, but you mentioning mitochondria got the hair at the back of my neck going. What the hell was that about again.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 9, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I like how I’ve only ever seen a handful of Shrink comics, but roughly half of them boil down to “what if man too small?” And alternatively, “what if man too big?” It’s like Liefeld came up with the “small dude gotta big dick” comic first, and then “ohhhh fuuuuck”’d his way into a series when it got positive feedback.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Right, but the characterization there is not that Valerian is a strapping ladykiller. He doesn't do anything, the space-police periodically assign him "partners," the implication is that platonic sexual relationships are unofficially encouraged as a way to instill intimacy and loyalty between officers. In this context, the point is not that Valerian gives up or leaves his partners, but that he loses them.

The subtle joke is that Valerian is too attached physically (and probably a bad lay). His practice is to try to use sex to the letter of rhetoric, to turn two people into a single, inseparable unit. This is conveyed metaphorically when he bonds with Bubble, the two of them literally proceeding together as one person. The inevitable consequence of this is illustrated: Bubble is not truly equal in her 'partnership' with Valerian, but becomes a human shield. Laureline's point by invoking all of Valerian's failed partnerships is that in order to be truly together, they must remain completely separate.

This thematic opposition is dramatized at a cosmic level with the inherent opposition between the United Human Federation/Alpha and the Pearls: the former's stated program of unification and peace leads directly to the near-total genocide of the latter.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I just found today about this animated movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlgD7JEwAME

I love my country :allears:

This looks awesome. It's like a threeway between 'Independence Day,' a Dreamworks animated comedy, and Mexico.

I mean, I just saw a dude force-feed an alien a burrito, and the alien rocketed into the air and exploded.

In Mexico we trust indeed.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

That's a lotta words just to say that Valerian's a dick

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

That's a lotta words just to say that Valerian's a dick

Valerian is cool and rad and also pretty funny.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

It had some cool bits to be sure but overall the movie is garbage, sadly.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Should have won a hundred costuming awards.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Makes me realize, what if a tweak to the movie where Valerian is accidentally the hero because the women protect our push him out of the way. Bubble gets him inside a fortress and he's powerless through the process, Laureline gets stuff done and rolls her eyes at him. And he gets the credit. The former partners didn't leave because he slept with them but rather they hated him being a magnet for credit. Would even make the title work better.

Would even solve the chemistry problem.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

For sure it is, alt.tv.simpsons didn't miss a trick back then in 95 or whenever this episode was:

Was on a Simpsons clip binge on YT the other day and saw that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8uRO3D12vs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's also Tom Jones and Oliver! from that decade as well.

In other news...
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/972192800283373568