Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think he was that demon, I think he was just possessing it. Probably.

Daemon. Deay-mon. Digimon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

turtlecrunch posted:

I think the Emperor had a total of 2 cutscenes in 50 billion hours of gameplay before he turned into a demon. :thunk:
No he had one cutscene. He was already turning into a Daemon when we saw him again in that recording. (Which once again was not in the original game.)

goatface posted:

I don't think he was that demon, I think he was just possessing it. Probably.

Daemon. Deay-mon. Digimon.
No that was the Emperor also he is dead now. He was killed when Noctis fights him which is part of a sequence that was skipped by mistake.

But it's kind of amazing what the Noctis section is like. He gets stalked by the Emperor Daemon and has to fight it off repeatedly, until he finds Ravus's corpse and gets his dads sword. After which he fights and kills the Emperor Daemon which rants about how it got the crystal and was great and stuff.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 9, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

After which he fights and kills the Emperor Daemon which rants about how it got the crystal and was great and stuff.

I can't believe they elected Gollum Emperor of Mordor.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ardyn just sort of casually tossing some printer paper on top the dead guy we never even really got to know while the dramatic music swells may potentially be the funniest thing in the game so far.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think its during Noctus's running around the Umbrella Lab, so for you its obviously lost forever if I'm right.

The shocking truth of the Demons origin and why the nights are getting longer.

It's loving dumb even for this game.

Finally, if you played the game before the Gladio side was released, the starting screen gives an option to replay this sequence.

After the touching "I hear Noct!" and they run to him, it goes to a "Go Play Episode Gladio!" splash screen.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
you know

if nothing else

ardyn's va is pretty nice

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sydin posted:

Ardyn just sort of casually tossing some printer paper on top the dead guy we never even really got to know while the dramatic music swells may potentially be the funniest thing in the game so far.
To think on Ravus he was originally billed as the evil rival. With this being one of the iconic images of the game. Him and and Noctis standing by annihilate one another.

His role in the actual game. Kind of small and pathetic.

Gamerofthegame posted:

you know

if nothing else

ardyn's va is pretty nice

I do indeed like Ardyn's voice. Of the characters in this game he has always been fairly entertaining.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think its during Noctus's running around the Umbrella Lab, so for you its obviously lost forever if I'm right.

The shocking truth of the Demons origin and why the nights are getting longer.

It's loving dumb even for this game.

you might as well just go ahead and spoil this because we didn't get it and we're never going back

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I just realized, Gladiolus looks like that pimp in Phone Booth who gets shot by Kiefer Sutherland.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTzb-sduiWc

i thought everyone knew this one in addition to don't fear the reaper

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kuvo posted:

you might as well just go ahead and spoil this because we didn't get it and we're never going back

It's practically loving midoclorians.

Some eeeeeevil plankton or bacteria that blot out the sun, get into people and turn them into demons.

I just went to the wiki just to make sure I didn't imagine that, but nope. That's basically what they say in the first sentence after the spoiler warning.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Are you going to do the DLC?

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Demicol posted:

Are you going to do the DLC?

Yeah. Or at least whatever is out currently

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FeyerbrandX posted:

Some eeeeeevil plankton or bacteria that blot out the sun, get into people and turn them into demons.

I just went to the wiki just to make sure I didn't imagine that, but nope. That's basically what they say in the first sentence after the spoiler warning.

I hate myself, but I'm going to have to find a video of this just so I can see with my own eyes how bad it is.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You might not be able to find a video, it's an umbrella lab memo or audio log or something. Best of luck to you and your future endeavors, I still regret that I remember this first hand from a year ago.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Found a decent looking walkthrough posted a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnX9jCxZVVU&t=772s

No commentary, just gameplay from before the "bonus cutscenes" were put in. I've timestamped the video from about the point the guys switched over to Gladio and I'll just skip through to any dialogue and cutscenes.

EDIT - half hour in now. My god, it's literally a loving keycard hunt. Ardyn never shuts up. Noct gains power of instakill making the whole "this is the more difficult option" a joke.

Updating:

[oh my god, the alternative route with Gladio and Ignis looks like game of the loving year compared to this poo poo]

Noct gets his father's sword at 33:04

Meets the emperor at 44:20 - there's totally no fanfare or introduction. Noct tries to get on a lift, big demon appears and starts chasing him.

50:30 talking about daemon stuff. Note all the empty clothes on the floor. Adryn keeps talking as Noct runs through the area, with new dialogue for each room he opens up, so the infodump is spread over a few minutes. Probably best to keep watching up to the next cutscene.

57:20 The magitek room of foreshadowing.

1:04:00 The Resident Evil electric hallway bit.

Aaaaaand, that's all caught up with where the LP is now.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 9, 2018

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Prompto and Ignis DLCs explain more stuff relating to the demons.
The main game lab notes basically tell you that the smoke effect that comes off the demons is some kind of airborne mutagenic particle that's killed by light but also somehow blocks light in high enough densities, and turns humans into more demons.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I agree, that's stupid. But you know what's even more stupid?

The Zagnuts Keep, which this whole area is set in, apparently looks like this:

That's not how architecture works.

Also, the only way in is apparently via an elevator in an abandoned, trashed out industrial area.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I get some serious Project A-Ko crashed alien ship vibes from that.

Except that Project A-Ko was good and made more sense than this poo poo.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Laputanmachine posted:

Except that Project A-Ko was good and made more sense than this poo poo.

one of those two statements is correct

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

Has the game made any indication at all that people are disappearing in order for "daemons are people!" to explain anything?

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Tenebrais posted:

Has the game made any indication at all that people are disappearing in order for "daemons are people!" to explain anything?

i think aranea mentioned that people in gralea were going missing while we were in tenebrae, so we had ummm 5 seconds' heads up on it

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think some of the bestiary entries for the demons you find in the dungeons of the first half of the game actually just tell you early that they're miners transformed into goblins or whatever.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm pretty sure at some point they also mention that the soldiers you've been fighting were manufactured people or something, don't they? It was essentially the weakest attempt to take away any morality in killing them by the dozens.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure at some point they also mention that the soldiers you've been fighting were manufactured people or something, don't they? It was essentially the weakest attempt to take away any morality in killing them by the dozens.

Well I think we knew that MT Troopers were manufactured People with Daemons shoved in them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

I think they said right at the start that the magitek soldiers were robots. I don't think we knew they were demon robots.

That fight with the Emperor is even more silly when it's actually him. He's the ruler of the kingdom who you are at war with, who - as far as the characters know - has presumably been behind the attack that hosed your capital, all the loving dropships chucking robots at you, and who ordered the death of the arranged future queen, but you just fight him without any real fanfare in a dingy room and he can't even kill the loving recently blinded guy.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The soldiers being nothing but walking suits of armor is brought up the first time they appear. Hence the MT nickname both being short for "Magitek Trooper" and being a homophone of "Empty".

Then Aranea revealed they actually had demons inside them.

Now they've revealed that those same demons are people. The implications of this is explored in DLC, and the main game's handling of it is baffling brief.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Gorilla Salad posted:

I agree, that's stupid. But you know what's even more stupid?

The Zagnuts Keep, which this whole area is set in, apparently looks like this:

That's not how architecture works.

Also, the only way in is apparently via an elevator in an abandoned, trashed out industrial area.

I think I ever have, but I feel almost certain I could recreate that in Dwarf Fortress.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Y'all're pretty mad at this game, but y'all'd've been even madder if you played before the sweet monster truck jumps got put in.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Kuvo posted:

one of those two statements is correct

The soundtrack was super good though? It only takes 24 seconds to hand some dude a bass guitar and have him loving tear into it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqeBczWe_04

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kase moch posted:

Y'all're pretty mad at this game, but y'all'd've been even madder if you played before the sweet monster truck jumps got put in.

Now I'm mad that they didn't let you have the dramatic, emotional race to through the tunnel with the monster truck.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
This wouldn't be the first time that Square's made a game where you're against a faceless evil empire that ends up being ineffectual and barely-there, the difference is that Brave Fencer Musashi is actually good.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Man, the wiki pieces together an entire story, somehow. It's a stupid story, but it's there. It also seems to be ginned together from all the DLC, a movie, an anime, and gently caress knows what else. What a shitshow.

As an aside, holy poo poo some of these people have some incredibly star wars rear end names, especially some empire dudes who are apparently running the outskirts of your country. Also, apparently that entire wasteland was your country, too. Who knew?

I'm also like 90% certain that none of those people have shown up in game for more than about 5 seconds. One showed up in that assassin dlc, apparently. All these people that should've been antagonists, and they barely exist.

Switching gears, since I've been happily spoiling myself on this idiocy, what's the name of that place with the gate that they ran into a robot and got their asses kicked? I wanna see what fascinating and probably very important to the plot (and thus never mentioned) details are hanging out there.

I swear, more of the plot was tossed into loading screens than cutscenes.

Tenebrais posted:

Apparently the japanese name for them is "corpse," which is a pretty good hint that is 100% not here.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Whenever I see daemon it makes me think of key-mon from 10-2.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zenostein posted:

One showed up in that assassin dlc, apparently. All these people that should've been antagonists, and they barely exist.

Switching gears, since I've been happily spoiling myself on this idiocy, what's the name of that place with the gate that they ran into a robot and got their asses kicked?

If you mean Loqi he's the first dumb jerk you blew up but is still somehow alive. He's still alive after the second time you blow him up too? I can't even remember if they've done that quest yet. But if they haven't its the only thing I will try and goad them into doing, because it is the only thing that may redeem the game a little bit.

I wasn't taking my own sarcastic advice to the person who decided to go down the abyss to find proof of the stupid demon twist and peeked at a couple pages (Loqi and Cor since they were both there and since they do basically nothing on screen should have short articles) and they don't say. Maybe if you look at a map if you zoom in enough you'll be able to read a place name in the "Not the Latin Alphabet, why do you spread this libel?" Fantasy character script you can find it?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The final boss is Matt Daemon.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You can accidentally skip the part where you murder emporer daemon dude? Are you for real?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Is this game's existence for real?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nihilarian posted:

You can accidentally skip the part where you murder emporer daemon dude? Are you for real?

And the part were you find Ravus's corpse and get the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

To be fair, if you played the Noctis route you wouldn't even know for sure that demon you killed was the emperor, and the ability to skip that section with the patched in 20 minute Gladio version is because at release everyone complained about the Noctis route being terrible to play through. :v:
There is a chapter select on the title screen that lets you do both if you want, and the game gives a message about doing this at the start of the chapter.

• Locked thread