Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm just surprised they're going out for good before Sears.

Sears had a lot of assets ie real estate, brands the private equities raided, but I think that game is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm just surprised they're going out for good before Sears.

The owner of Sears is trying to not lose all his money. TRU is being raided by private equity for everything of value. That is, TRU is being deliberately killed, Sears wasn't. And it's not for good, they're profitable enough and have enough name recognition that someone will buy them after they've been emptied to try and rebuild something.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sears is just more than Sears and Kmart stores. It’s Sears appliance repair and parts business, Craftsman B2B sales, automotive repair, insurance and real estate deals. There’s a ton is passive and residual income that can fund Sears for a while even as their retail stores die.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

duz posted:

The owner of Sears is trying to not lose all his money. TRU is being raided by private equity for everything of value. That is, TRU is being deliberately killed, Sears wasn't.

Uh, isn't that exactly what's happening with Sears too, it's just a stronger company and taking longer to strangle? And the private equity raider is their own CEO?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The difference is who put up the money.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fame Douglas posted:

When food in your country is so bad you're excited about a new Denny's opening up.

I don’t know why the hell you would go to Denny’s in the UK with their 10 dollar breakfast selling rear end when every place I went to had better breakfasts for like 3 dollars less, after currency conversion.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FCKGW posted:

Sears is just more than Sears and Kmart stores. It’s Sears appliance repair and parts business, Craftsman B2B sales, automotive repair, insurance and real estate deals. There’s a ton is passive and residual income that can fund Sears for a while even as their retail stores die.

Yeah probably.

Kmart is going down before the end of the year though. Whenever closings are announced the majority has always been Kmart stores. The brand is weak and it does everything other stores do worst.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Claire's is going down, too: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-08/claire-s-is-said-to-plan-bankruptcy-with-creditors-taking-over

Seems like nearly all of the mall staples I grew up with throughout the 90s and early 00s are fading away.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You could close 80% of Claire’s locations and there would still be one only 20 minutes away from most everybody.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The ones I cared about died long ago. RIP Waldenbooks and B. Dalton.

Hilariously, Waldenbooks and Borders bookstores were also owned by Kmart.

Barnes & Noble is the last remaining national-level bookstore chain in America, and they're struggling too. Laid off 18,000 employees after a lovely holiday sales season this year.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 10, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There was a blog post in this thread about B&N executives intentionally sabotaging the companies long-term profitability. Firing all full-time employees at the stores, make individual stores fulfill online orders with the stores own stock and without compensation, etc.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

There was a blog post in this thread about B&N executives intentionally sabotaging the companies long-term profitability. Firing all full-time employees at the stores, make individual stores fulfill online orders with the stores own stock and without compensation, etc.
What’s the supposed motive and incentive in this conspiracy theory

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Giving up on the b&m entirely and trying to compete with Amazon in the esales space for as long as they could is my guess.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can fudge the figures to make a struggling company look good for one quarter if you massively cut down on your outgoings - Small start ups often fail by investing in stock, selling that stock and keeping the money without paying rent, their staff, or buying new stock. What we seem to be seeing is more and more huge businesses that look to be doing the same thing.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Vegetable posted:

Executives/shareholders take the money and then move on to a new company, what else.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vegetable posted:

I am pretty sure "big box book stores have no future" is not really some super secret information that book stores are unaware of.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am pretty sure "big box book stores have no future" is not really some super secret information that book stores are unaware of.

"gently caress you, got mine." That's the basic concept.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
While i realize the operating officers don't have any plans beyond "Do the necessary to make my quarterly bonus", after they shutter all of these retail giants, what's next? Do they "slum" downwards to eliminate any regional/ local chain (that wasn't purchased by the giants in the past 30 years) and work their magic there? Or do they fail upward to...Amazon?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
When the quartely bonus is nice enough to live on for a year or two, it's probably easier to give yourself some time to figure that one out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cheesus posted:

While i realize the operating officers don't have any plans beyond "Do the necessary to make my quarterly bonus", after they shutter all of these retail giants, what's next? Do they "slum" downwards to eliminate any regional/ local chain (that wasn't purchased by the giants in the past 30 years) and work their magic there? Or do they fail upward to...Amazon?

I mean, these guys are doing the numbers constantly so if you’ve had another disastrous holiday season in year 3 of your “turnaround plan” and you can see that the company has maybe another 12-18 months on its current path, then it’s time to accept the inevitable and extract whatever value you can now and then close up a few months earlier instead.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

The company is failing so pillage it for all you can before it sinks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cheesus posted:

Wait for the regional chains to step up to fill the void on the wings of investors desperate for the next bet, then repeat.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cheesus posted:

take a parachute and end up somewhere else

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

anonumos posted:

"gently caress you, got mine." That's the basic concept.

If you run a big box book store there is probably not a lot of paths forward that aren't "make the most of it right now, it's gone soon" there is pretty much no case for big box book stores in 2018+. It's either online or small and local stuff. No one needs a giant physical store to buy like, harry potter books.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you run a big box book store there is probably not a lot of paths forward that aren't "make the most of it right now, it's gone soon" there is pretty much no case for big box book stores in 2018+. It's either online or small and local stuff. No one needs a giant physical store to buy like, harry potter books.

They have "executive experience" and will move to a non retail company.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hand Row posted:

They have "executive experience" and will move to a non retail company.

Ding they metastasize to elsewhere.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They move on to another industry then gut the customer service departments there because it's all they know how to do.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

B&N really should have just gone full-Amazon but this might be a bit too late.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

B&N really should have just gone full-Amazon but this might be a bit too late.

They tried, remember the nook?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Plinkey posted:

I still see a Nook area in the B&N at Union Square when I go in there on occasion.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
A nook nook?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

moller posted:

A nook nook?

Pretty much (it's an alcove in the back of the first floor, near the DVD area). To be fair, they have four floors of space they have to fill up.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Plinkey posted:

B&N actually got into e-commerce early and was one of the better sites selling books, or anything, online for a while and was a serious competitor to Amazon. If you compare their sites circa 2000, they were basically the same as Amazon.

The problem is Amazon diversified and is barely even remembered as the company that was once mainly a book store, meanwhile the changes in B&N's e-commerce can be summed up as ditching software, and adding toys/collectibles. Their music section still only sells physical.

B&N probably can't turn into a department store, which is what "going full Amazon" would really mean in practice.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 11, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

B&N also wasn't a "tech company" which means they couldn't sell everything at cost and lose money for a decade in the hopes of becoming the monster Amazon is today

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OneEightHundred posted:

B&N actually got into e-commerce early and was one of the better sites selling books, or anything, online for a while and was a serious competitor to Amazon. If you compare their sites circa 2000, they were basically the same as Amazon.

The problem is Amazon diversified and is barely even remembered as the company that was once mainly a book store, meanwhile the changes in B&N's e-commerce can be summed up as ditching software, and adding toys/collectibles. Their music section still only sells physical.

B&N probably can't turn into a department store, which is what "going full Amazon" would really mean in practice.

Barnes and Noble diversified in the late 90s.

They bought a bunch of electronics and video game chains and merged them together.

It was called GameStop.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Huh, I hadn't known that part of B&N history. From their wiki article:

"Barnes & Noble retained control over GameStop until October 2004, when it distributed its 59% stake in GameStop to stakeholders of Barnes & Noble, making it an independent company."

Is that normal? Giving shares of a subsidiary to your shareholders?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Huh, I hadn't known that part of B&N history. From their wiki article:

"Barnes & Noble retained control over GameStop until October 2004, when it distributed its 59% stake in GameStop to stakeholders of Barnes & Noble, making it an independent company."

Is that normal? Giving shares of a subsidiary to your shareholders?

Yes - it's called a spin-off and it happens decently frequently in the corporate world (since it's typically a tax-free transaction when it occurs, assuming no cash is involved).

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Noctone posted:

Really hoping this is a brain fart, and not you not knowing which continent China is part of.
Very much. So much so it didn't even register until this post. :sweatdrop:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Toys ‘R’ Us Tells Workers It Will Likely Close All U.S. Stores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

That's depressing. As a weird old, I actually like physically going to the toy store and Christmas/Birthday shopping for my kid. Also, it's fun to take them on a rainy Saturday. I remember when I was a kid Toys R Us was like this magical wonderland, and my son sees it the same way. Going to Wal*Mart or Target just isn't the same at all.