Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also I recall people talking about how Assist Mode was handled best in this game and it makes you feel good and blahblahblah but realized I never actually saw the option for it. Saw it was a choice when I loaded my clear data and turned it on and uh... I take it there's no way to actually turn it off now? :(

Will also add that I don't see how these options are more respectful then what Mario or DK does. Like were people saying that because it has a nicely worded message at the start? Because that kinda comes off as more patronizing to me then anything :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Whether a message comes off as patronizing depends a lot on the recipient's state of mind.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

don't get me wrong i love celeste the game, once i got past it making my thumbs hurt anyway (I keep changing my mind on that 8bitdo controller vs the DS4 pad, btw)

i just absolutely loving loathe celeste the story

at the same time i acknowledge that a) it touched a nerve and so my opinion is extreme, and b) Forums Dot SomethingAwful Dot Com is the last place i should be airing this sort of poo poo (not that there's anywhere else to air it besides a lovely forbes article or a reddit post or something)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Calling suicide the 'true final result' of depression is a little worrying.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

chumbler posted:

Whether a message comes off as patronizing depends a lot on the recipient's state of mind.

I guess, just kinda read it as "we know you're not as good as the other players- that's okay! We want you to enjoy the game too! So here's a cheat sheet!" which got a snicker out of me and nothing deeper then that.

Then I realized I got owned by a blue stamp and welp to that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ciaphas posted:

At least DDLC showed the true final result instead of turning it into an insipid feel-good load of bollocks (Ed one ultimately defeated by stupid spoopy nonsense but whatever)
I'll also extremely disagree with this and say i found DDLC's use of mental health issues to be in borderline very poor taste, and that it's way weaker for not actually following up on any of it. But I can't say what you get out of it, only that i hope it helps someone for the better

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I recall people talking about how Assist Mode was handled best in this game and it makes you feel good and blahblahblah but realized I never actually saw the option for it. Saw it was a choice when I loaded my clear data and turned it on and uh... I take it there's no way to actually turn it off now? :(

Will also add that I don't see how these options are more respectful then what Mario or DK does. Like were people saying that because it has a nicely worded message at the start? Because that kinda comes off as more patronizing to me then anything :v:
In Mario (and maybe in DK) they're not optional, they would just happen. A thing would appear if you died a lot that you could either use or not, but either way it would mark your save file as if you had seen it. Celeste is different in that while it is deadset on being a difficult platformer, it is willing to bend over backwards to let anyone beat it, if they would like to. Rather than compare to Mario's assist function, a game designed to be beaten by anyone, I'd say it's better compared to like Meatboy, where Meatboy doesn't give a poo poo about you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

don't get me wrong i love celeste the game, once i got past it making my thumbs hurt anyway (I keep changing my mind on that 8bitdo controller vs the DS4 pad, btw)

at the same time i acknowledge that a) it touched a nerve and so my opinion is extreme, and b) Forums Dot SomethingAwful Dot Com is the last place i should be airing this sort of poo poo (not that there's anywhere else to air it besides a lovely forbes article or a reddit post or something)

twitter

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

At least DDLC showed the true final result instead of turning it into an insipid feel-good load of bollocks (Ed one ultimately defeated by stupid spoopy nonsense but whatever)

Uhhhhhh

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If there was actually a dating visual novel where the romance options grappled with different mental issues that was researched and well written, I would say that game might be Very Good, and I'd like to play it.

DDLC toeing the line at billing itself as that, sucks rear end in my opinion

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In the UK the Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123. In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is 13 11 14. Other international suicide helplines can be found at https://www.befrienders.org

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you want to discuss talking down to the audience let me just say how poo poo I think Getting Over It is and that Celeste is a better game about trials and tribulations and climbing metaphorical mountains without being an absolute waste of money.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Getting Over It seems pretty funny but I'll never play it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know what’s weird? Lens flare in games

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Motto posted:

seemed more like streamer bait than an actually fun game to me, so same

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

You know what’s weird? Lens flare in games

Kirby Epic Yarn has some solid fabric flare

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Motto posted:

It's really not funny because the challenge isn't about manipulating an intentionally obtuse interface to accomplish a simple task like in QWOP the mechanics are intentionally designed to gently caress you up. The creator gives a bad TED talk or trolls you with music or literal jump scares as you flail around. When you beat it your reward is (and I'll spoil this just out of respect for a recent game) a special chat page so you can say you beat a poo poo game. That's it, that's the game, $8 please.

It's a game made for and made famous by streamers and you can see how it blew up on youtube in the slow months of December and January because people were rightfully too busy playing good poo poo every other time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

These kinds of posts are what gen chat threads are for imo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Expect My Mom posted:

I'll also extremely disagree with this and say i found DDLC's use of mental health issues to be in borderline very poor taste, and that it's way weaker for not actually following up on any of it. But I can't say what you get out of it, only that i hope it helps someone for the better

In Mario (and maybe in DK) they're not optional, they would just happen. A thing would appear if you died a lot that you could either use or not, but either way it would mark your save file as if you had seen it. Celeste is different in that while it is deadset on being a difficult platformer, it is willing to bend over backwards to let anyone beat it, if they would like to. Rather than compare to Mario's assist function, a game designed to be beaten by anyone, I'd say it's better compared to like Meatboy, where Meatboy doesn't give a poo poo about you.

The only thing Mario marks as far as I know is if the stars on your save are shiny or not (which Celeste does by putting the assist stamp on the card)- and also it doesn't happen unless you use the power up and it gives you a fair warning (iirc) on what the power up does. I know that much from seeing it spawn in Galaxy 2 when I was trying to do some bowling star with the rock suit and a few times in 3D Land when I was just dicking around and saw it spawn :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Looper posted:

These kinds of posts are what gen chat threads are for imo

maybe. i just feel like i shouldn't be shouting all my apparently terrible opinions into the screaming void so much

but then i do it anyway so what the hell, and i guess it's a good distraction from work (which i should get back to)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The solution to depression is a magic pill you take that makes the bad thoughts manageable. Ask your doctor for the magic pill that's right for you, and then spend the rest of your life dependent on the pharmaceutical industry to function as a normal person.

Yay

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The only thing Mario marks as far as I know is if the stars on your save are shiny or not (which Celeste does by putting the assist stamp on the card)- and also it doesn't happen unless you use the power up and it gives you a fair warning (iirc) on what the power up does. I know that much from seeing it spawn in Galaxy 2 when I was trying to do some bowling star with the rock suit and a few times in 3D Land when I was just dicking around and saw it spawn :v:

Pretty sure 3D Land doesn't warn you. If you die like 6 times it'll show up wherever you start the stage.

I didn't mind Nintendo doing that but it was either Devil May Cry or God of War that gave you the option to change if you screwed up but also the option to never show it again which is how Nintendo should've handled it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well this thread is a real downer today

I am still playing through the early bits of Fire Emblem Awakening! I'm afraid this is going to be an incredibly long game. I'm reading like 200 hours to do everything?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Depends on defining "everything", I think? You can totally go up the rear end of optimizing certain hybrid units in a way that's completely unnecessary to beat the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I will say 5B is upsetting me. Jfc

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Taintrunner posted:

I am still playing through the early bits of Fire Emblem Awakening! I'm afraid this is going to be an incredibly long game. I'm reading like 200 hours to do everything?

Depends on how much you actually wanna do. The main campaign is 30 maps long but there are a lot of side chapters, however you'll have to grind supports if you want to get all of them in a single run. Also there's a boatload of DLC but the quality is pretty middling. I played a ton of Awakening but never bothered with much of it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is waluigi luigi"s

a) dad
b) brother
c) son

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

oddium posted:

is waluigi luigi"s

a) dad
b) brother
c) son

d)failed clone

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

He is Luigi's wa.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

is waluigi luigi"s

a) dad
b) brother
c) son

He's Wario's boyfriend.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

oddium posted:

is waluigi luigi"s

a) dad
b) brother
c) son

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

If there was actually a dating visual novel where the romance options grappled with different mental issues that was researched and well written, I would say that game might be Very Good, and I'd like to play it.

Time for a sequel to Katawa Shoujo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello sad friends our moon dad is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35WmAbDYaQ

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Olive! posted:

He's Wario's boyfriend.

wario's only boyfriend is money

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

contra: hard corps kicks rear end

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oddium posted:

is waluigi luigi"s

a) dad
b) brother
c) son

they’re completely unrelated people

Olive! posted:

He's Wario's boyfriend.

Yeah it’s this.

The White Dragon posted:

Charles Martinet contends that they are just two evil men who found each other and hell, I believe him

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

You can beat the main story in like 30~ish hours, but depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go it can go for several hundreds if you want it to, yes.

I really like Awakening, I've played it a lot, but I'll probably never play it again.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

contra: hard corps kicks rear end

in the dark alien future, there are only furries...

codenameFANGIO posted:

Charles Martinet contends that they are just two evil men who found each other and hell, I believe him

are wario and waluigi truly evil? or are they simply agents of entropy and chaos, like a dog that never stops barking, or a hurricane

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After some of the remix videos popped up in my youtube recommended videos, I got rhythm heaven megamix on my 3ds and it's good. I never thought a rhythm game could be described as chill but somehow they managed it. Not all the minigames are winners (shoot-em-up can go to hell) but it's a very charming, cute game where you can just relax and let the flow take you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What is this an image for ants

• Locked thread