Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Do you only dislike the big mealy tasteless tomatoes that are commonly used in burgers? Because that is completely reasonable those things are bleh.

Or do you also dislike the much more flavorful types, heirloom tomatoes and plum/cherry varieties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's okay not to like certain foods.

It's okay to be a picky eater too.

It's okay.

You're okay.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't understand why some people are incapable of discerning what details are pertinent to the story they're telling. I can't stand the minutes-long expositional info that doesn't come into play for the punch. I'm so tired of tangents that don't rejoin the central thread. I'm maddened by the attempted recollection of names and dates unknown and unhelpful to the listener. I'm full up with fluff.

A very short story can be spun long, if you're entertaining. Split off, flesh out a character, drop an anecdote that adds impact to the tale. Hell, I had a friend who could make a lunch order into a twenty-minute story, but the characters and their voices and the pauses and the stresses make it the loving Odyssey.

Then I listen to my sister-in-law tell a story. One sentence's worth of actual, impactful info is spun between "like"s and "um"s, filled with people I never met, acting and speaking with motivations undescribed, and ending with a slow, rumbling stop; whereupon everyone looks at each other with eyes like "what was that? Do we respond? Do we laugh? Do we console? And in response to what?"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You just needed that last paragraph.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

You just needed that last paragraph.

Then I listen to my sister-in-law tell a story. One sentence's worth of actual, impactful info is spun between "like"s and "um"s, filled with people I never met, acting and speaking with motivations undescribed, and ending with a slow, rumbling stop; whereupon everyone looks at each other with eyes like "what was that? Do we respond? Do we laugh? Do we console? And in response to what?"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KozmoNaut posted:

Do you only dislike the big mealy tasteless tomatoes that are commonly used in burgers? Because that is completely reasonable those things are bleh.

Or do you also dislike the much more flavorful types, heirloom tomatoes and plum/cherry varieties?

I feel like people get put off tomatoes because of the ubiquity of lovely tomatoes on foods, especially sandwiches.

Same to a lesser extent with apples. A fuji or honeycrisp is way better as a straight snack than some poo poo like red "delicious".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think a lot of people legit just don't know the story until they tell it, and have to search around in their entire slush file of experience looking for clues. I've complained about it here before but often when I ask a guest what time they plan to arrive, they unburden their entire day's events list before they get to "about 7, I guess". There's no reason for me to know how many grandchildren your friend who's taking care of your dogs while you're away has in order for me to know that you're going to get here "at suppertime".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I feel like people get put off tomatoes because of the ubiquity of lovely tomatoes on foods, especially sandwiches.

Same to a lesser extent with apples. A fuji or honeycrisp is way better as a straight snack than some poo poo like red "delicious".

I like the taste of red delicious apples but the skin is so thick it ruins the whole thing. Gala are definitely my favorite and honeycrisp is great too.

and yeah I can appreciate a fresh tomato even though it's not my favorite thing to eat, but if it's the soggy probably days old tomato slice on a cheap burger, you better believe i'm taking that poo poo off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think a lot of people legit just don't know the story until they tell it, and have to search around in their entire slush file of experience looking for clues. I've complained about it here before but often when I ask a guest what time they plan to arrive, they unburden their entire day's events list before they get to "about 7, I guess". There's no reason for me to know how many grandchildren your friend who's taking care of your dogs while you're away has in order for me to know that you're going to get here "at suppertime".

I also think some people get real excited that they have "something to share" but don't realize that the only interesting part of the story is that it fits the topic. I'm not asking everyone to be Noel Coward but goddamn, at least do a mental run-thru. And pick an endpoint, for Christ's sake, don't peter out with a "...so...yeah."

My other pet peeve is I'm a good listener, so I'll never go Frasier on them, I'll just hear them out and respond thoughtfully. I want to be as big an rear end in a top hat in real life as I am on here.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

KozmoNaut posted:

Those mealy ones are what I was thinking of, yeah, but I don't like little cherry tomatoes, either. I don't mind little tomato chunks in goulash or something, but those taste like nothing.

I'm just not a tomato guy, I guess. Then again, I'm also real weird about food. I don't like chili, but love chili fries. I don't like sloppy joes, either.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Pet peeve: food derails in every goddamn thread on this forum. Somebody brings up a food preference and that's suddenly the cue for everyone to rush in to get theirs in. Maybe this is over-stepping, but I don't think very many people really care about strangers' food preference.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think red deliciouses are one of those things millennials are killing. Good riddance. The name is a misnomer, they were designed for shelf life and shippability, not taste/texture.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Red onions are the only food that seems to blow out my palate. I think I have whatever condition people have that make them dislike cilantro, except for me when I taste red onion in anything it's the only thing I can taste and it spreads like a virus through the whole dish. Can't stand the smell either. It's the worst food on the planet and it smells worse than durian IMO.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've never liked Rocket lettuce, it seems all store-bought salads have it and it just has such a strong flavour.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Expecting a nice crisp apple and biting into a mealy one is a pet peeve of mine.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Red onions are the only food that seems to blow out my palate. I think I have whatever condition people have that make them dislike cilantro, except for me when I taste red onion in anything it's the only thing I can taste and it spreads like a virus through the whole dish. Can't stand the smell either. It's the worst food on the planet and it smells worse than durian IMO.

I usually don't mind them all that much, and there are times where they work well (like on salads pretty often), but I do think that they're overused. They're often a kind of stupid way for restaurants to make their dishes seem slightly more upscale or more colorful, without taking into account the difference in taste—like how Subway switched to them maybe around the time that they claimed to have improved their bread (that would have been around 2000 or so), or Pizza Hut's switch in the late '90s, when they made their vegetables chunkier overall.

The worst fast food/chain restaurant example I can think of is Dave's Single, Double, etc. at Wendy's, which they introduced about seven years ago. I thought the old versions of these were some of the better fast food burgers, but then they had to try to make them come across as more Five Guys-like or Smashburger-like or whatever by switching the dill pickles for terrible sweet pickles, adding a "premium bun," making the patty thicker and with a different consistency, and finally getting rid of the white onions and adding red onions. The attempt at going faux-upscale is as bad or worse than the thinking behind the Arch Deluxe, but I guess I must be in the minority of people who dislike it or notice the difference, since it's stayed pretty much as it was since they made the changes.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FELD1 posted:

Pet peeve: food derails in every goddamn thread on this forum. Somebody brings up a food preference and that's suddenly the cue for everyone to rush in to get theirs in. Maybe this is over-stepping, but I don't think very many people really care about strangers' food preference.

:agreed:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Pet peeve: complaints about derails in threads with very general topics. People discussing the same thing for several posts in a row isn't a derail, it's a discussion. It has to go off topic to be a derail and this is "Pet peeves", not "Famous deaf inventors that liked to shove AA batteries up their nose".

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Pet peeve: complaints about derails in threads with very general topics. People discussing the same thing for several posts in a row isn't a derail, it's a discussion. It has to go off topic to be a derail and this is "Pet peeves", not "Famous deaf inventors that liked to shove AA batteries up their nose".

Cool, now how about when everyone starts posting about how they hate x vegetable or y condiment in the funny pictures thread, or the meme thread, or the comics thread, or the gif thread, or the stdh thread, or

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

And Weatherman posting the gif does nothing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
pet peeve: goons posting

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

FELD1 posted:

I don't think very many people really care about strangers' food preference.

They sure loving do if you put the wrong thing on a pizza or prepare a steak incorrectly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why is Youtube so drat slow. I have a gigabit fiber connection so I shouldn't be having trouble streaming a video in 720p but no it hangs constantly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Olive! posted:

Cool, now how about when everyone starts posting about how they hate x vegetable or y condiment in the funny pictures thread, or the meme thread, or the comics thread, or the gif thread, or the stdh thread, or

You’ll live.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Aphrodite posted:

You’ll live.

Only for so long

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who make a point to come over to presumably talk and have a conversation but then only have one words replies and stare at their phone the whole time, and then seem put out when I go back to what I was doing instead of trying to pry words out of them. Either talk to me or use your phone, I don't care which, but make an effort!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Mu Zeta posted:

Does this happen with all onions or just the red? I think red is supposed to be the milder type, so do white onions make your head explode?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

FELD1 posted:

Of course someone with the username Olive! would agree there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

artsy fartsy posted:

Does this happen with all onions or just the red? I think red is supposed to be the milder type, so do white onions make your head explode?

Only red

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

People who go to the empty but closer counter expecting to be helped. Not the one I'm working about six feet away. I'm over here, you twits. Take the extra couple steps.

Screaming children and parents doing that parenting thing where they ignore the screaming to teach the children they don't get their way all the time and I guess it works but GODDAMN is it annoying in an enclosed space with other people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

artsy fartsy posted:

It might be due to the fact that red onions are usually served raw, which is always a lot more pungent than a cooked onion of any sort.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"

Leavemywife posted:

I wish I liked tomatoes. I've tried them sliced, fried, in sandwiches and wraps, as soup, but I just don't like them. It'd be a ton easier ordering a burger our wrap if I liked tomatoes. I could enjoy salsa and pico de gallo!

It's not even a texture thing, which is why I don't like potato salad or deviled eggs. I like the taste of deviled eggs, but there's something about the way they feel in my mouth that just isn't right. Potato salad is the same way, even though I like all the ingredients to it.

It's frustrating, being picky like this. I've tried these things over and over again, but I just don't like them.

Touching back on this one, I hate tomatoes, and it's just the taste, if I can't taste the tomato I'm fine. I don't mind the texture, just the taste, so if they are huge slices, I can pick them off, if they are too small to pick off, I won't taste them. This includes all things tomato, sauces, ketchup, salsa. Just the taste

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

docbeard posted:

They sure loving do if you put the wrong thing on a pizza or prepare a steak incorrectly.

Or refer to a hot dog as a sandwich. :munch:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

YeahTubaMike posted:

Of course someone with the username Olive! would agree there.

It used to be worse

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There used to be three of them :v:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

BioEnchanted posted:

There used to be three of them :v:

Okay, it was still a lot better than that, at least

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

I don't understand why some people are incapable of discerning what details are pertinent to the story they're telling. I can't stand the minutes-long expositional info that doesn't come into play for the punch. I'm so tired of tangents that don't rejoin the central thread. I'm maddened by the attempted recollection of names and dates unknown and unhelpful to the listener. I'm full up with fluff.

A very short story can be spun long, if you're entertaining. Split off, flesh out a character, drop an anecdote that adds impact to the tale. Hell, I had a friend who could make a lunch order into a twenty-minute story, but the characters and their voices and the pauses and the stresses make it the loving Odyssey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhv-c2dd7aw

Also, I agree that pet peeves about specific foods are all just preferences or nitpicks. Being picky is ok, but what is more annoying then that is when people are just being difficult in general and shooting down suggestions left and right being only able to do their "their favorite thing" when they go out to eat or plan dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSRPMFDTSs

Midig has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Mar 11, 2018

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I like hearing about what people do and don't like in food :shobon:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My number one picky eater peeve is

"Where do you want to go?"

"Don't care"

"Sushi?"

"Ew no"

"Indian?"

"Ugh, no, can't stand it"

"That new sandwich place?"

"Naw, somewhere I've already been"

"Olive Garden?"

"Not feeling italian"

etc etc etc till you get three mcchickens and call it a meal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think you misinterpreted, that was a yes to Olive Garden.