Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I'm about halfway through The Dispossessed and I'm finding it a snoozefest. The setting is interesting but the story has never picked up. Are all of Le Guin's books like this? Also if I find it boring does that mean I'm stupid and just not 'getting it'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Raere posted:

I'm about halfway through The Dispossessed and I'm finding it a snoozefest. The setting is interesting but the story has never picked up. Are all of Le Guin's books like this? Also if I find it boring does that mean I'm stupid and just not 'getting it'?

Yes, yes, and yes :v:

LeGuin's books are all very anthropological, concerned with how people live and interact. You might like Earthsea better?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

trip9 posted:

Did you like A Closed and Common Orbit? I've heard that it's not as good...

It's fantastic, actually. I put it at the top of my Hugo ballot that year.

apophenium posted:

I guess I need to read that drat book

I read it years ago and feel like revisiting it at some point.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Yes, yes, and yes :v:

LeGuin's books are all very anthropological, concerned with how people live and interact. You might like Earthsea better?

It feels like she wrote an essay entitled "Comparing and contrasting end stage capitalism and pseudo-anarchsim on a theoretical planet and its moon" and decided to shove a story in there.

I guess I need to stick to pulps that my puny brain can understand.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Raere posted:

It feels like she wrote an essay entitled "Comparing and contrasting end stage capitalism and pseudo-anarchsim on a theoretical planet and its moon" and decided to shove a story in there.

Moon is a Harsh Mistress had just come out.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Hot take! Her books are about as fun to read as Ayn Rand's, but less important.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I’ve never seen anybody preface their own opinion with “hot take” and had it turn out to be anything other than idiotic so good on you for adding to the streak

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Hey, Ayn Rand sucks but you can't argue that her works left a smaller cultural imprint than Leguin.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If you are a Taltos fan, Brust has a new urban fantasy novel out now. Apparently his first one in a long time.

Depends on how you consider the Incrementalists series (most recent 2017, with Skyler White).

I liked this one, but I've read just about all of his stuff.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Also, Rand pretty much created Terry Goodkind, which is the fantasy genre equivalent of being personally responsible for the holocaust.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
what's the title of the new Brust book?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

what's the title of the new Brust book?

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Guys-Steven-Brust/dp/0765396378

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ok i will read that thank you

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Paul McAuley's stuff is either a hard-pass or massively interesting for me.
The Quiet War novel mostly sucked, only the technobabble kept me reading it. Will not be touching the followup books unless totally new people are in them.
On the other hand, I want more of McAuley's Jackaroo universe, it's kinda like a mix of A Canticle for Leibowitz & Iain Banks Culture series with Brims uplift universe & Robert Reed's Great Ship short stories used as crib notes.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Raere posted:

You should read the Earthsea books. They’re short, tight, exciting stories with interesting and well drawn characters. They also obviously inspired Harry Potter so they will feel more comfortable.

BananaNutkins posted:

Hot take! Her books are about as fun to read as Ayn Rand's, but less important.

Please list the LeGuin books you’ve read so I can understand the context of your staggeringly bad opinion

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ulmont posted:

Depends on how you consider the Incrementalists series (most recent 2017, with Skyler White).

I liked this one, but I've read just about all of his stuff.

Is the Incrementalists any good? I’ve been temped, but past experience has shown that most collabs are... not good.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
It makes me think of the trashy romantic lit version of david mitchell's the bone clocks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Proteus Jones posted:

Is the Incrementalists any good? I’ve been temped, but past experience has shown that most collabs are... not good.

I really liked it. I haven't grabbed the second one yet, but I will eventually.

Brust has only done a few collaborations, but a good track record. Gypsy was good, and Freedom & Necessity was easily the best novel to include Friedrich Engels as a character.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Raere posted:

I found it boring and thought her depiction of the capitalist society was a caricature. I didn't mind. The Left Hand of Darkness which felt more nuances but it's kinda boring too in terms of plot.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Neurosis posted:

I found it boring and thought her depiction of the capitalist society was a caricature. I didn't mind. The Left Hand of Darkness which felt more nuances but it's kinda boring too in terms of plot.

[looks outside] Hmm

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Neurosis posted:

Neurosis dresses up some awful politics by having very mild reactions to genre fiction that have political opinions he either disagrees or agrees with. He's not the thread's biggest but within acceptable bounds advocate for John C. Wright for nothing.

Ask him about his opinions on Muslim immigration, or I don't know find them in GBS.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm halfway through the dispossessed right now and the capitalist society seems pretty bang on to me tbqh.

Only silly thing so far is the whole "and women don't wear shirts with their formal wear" just to really rub in how patriarchal they are.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Neurosis posted:

And why does Melville waste so much time on the boat before they find the white whale????

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

uberkeyzer posted:

And why does Melville waste so much time on the boat before they find the white whale????

I still appreciated it but I'm guessing if someone finds the Dispossessed slow going Left Hand would be a similar experience.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Proteus Jones posted:

The writing was fine, the premise and world building were mediocre.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

uberkeyzer posted:

You should read the Earthsea books. They’re short, tight, exciting stories with interesting and well drawn characters. They also obviously inspired Harry Potter so they will feel more comfortable.

Please list the LeGuin books you’ve read so I can understand the context of your staggeringly bad opinion

The Wizards of Earthsea. It was alright.

The Disposessed. It was boring, but I was able to care a little about one of the characters.

The Left Hand of Darkness. Someone forgot to put a plot in this book.

The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas. Probably her best. It was short enough that her sparse prose seemed poetic rather than sparse. Short enough that you don't realize how boring it is until it's over.

Just because a book upholds political opinions I agree with doesn't make it an entertaining read. If I want to read lectures on capitalism I'm not turning to a genre book.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 8, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

[looks outside] Hmm

The sound of a man who sees a heavy rewrite in his future. :v:

I have to concur with the opinion that the more Le Guin used her writing to illustrate real world issues the more boring she became. That's true about almost every writer, though. No good story ever got told from a pulpit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

The sound of a man who sees a heavy rewrite in his future. :v:

I have to concur with the opinion that the more Le Guin used her writing to illustrate real world issues the more boring she became. That's true about almost every writer, though. No good story ever got told from a pulpit.

Ehh, that's true for some of her work (say, The Word for World is Forest) but The Dispossessed is a great story and a great intellectual exercise, it's just not a story that's going to interest all readers. Which is fine. Some people need more dramatic action in their space politics, some people are gonna get bored reading a thought piece about how a future space kibbutz could work, etc. The Dispossessed is largely intended to introduce anarchist ideas to a larger audience, so for someone deeply familiar with anarchist ideas already, it might seem a bit Little Golden Book - esque.

I think plenty of great stories get told from pulpits (whatever your opinion of libertarianism, Moon is a Harsh Mistress is told from its pulpit; David Copperfield takes all sorts of political stances and is Dicken's greatest novel). Done correctly, the real-world issues give readers a reason to care about the story and make it relevant to themselves.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 8, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Proteus Jones posted:

I liked the first one but the sequel did not hold my interest by like chapter 3. Nothing specific to point to, just didn't grab me.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ehh, that's true for some of her work (say, The Word for World is Forest) but The Dispossessed is a great story and a great intellectual exercise, it's just not a story that's going to interest all readers. Which is fine. Some people need more dramatic action in their space politics, some people are gonna get bored reading a thought piece about how a future space kibbutz could work, etc. The Dispossessed is largely intended to introduce anarchist ideas to a larger audience, so for someone deeply familiar with anarchist ideas already, it might seem a bit Little Golden Book - esque.

I think plenty of great stories get told from pulpits (whatever your opinion of libertarianism, Moon is a Harsh Mistress is told from its pulpit; David Copperfield takes all sorts of political stances and is Dicken's greatest novel). Done correctly, the real-world issues give readers a reason to care about the story and make it relevant to themselves.

I would say that the more a fantasy/sci-fi tries to relate to the real world, the more uninteresting it becomes for me.
But I mainly read as an escape from the real world and the more fantastic, the better. Don’t bring reality into my fantasy world.

It is not like I don’t appreciate the real world, since I do like reading about history and have a scientific degree, but it has also taught me exactly how tedious and mind numbing either can be, and I would prefer my sci-fi/ fantasy to be enjoyable and somewhat faster paced.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

How do you write a fantasy story disengaged from the real world unless it only focuses on outdated power structures like feudalism or the politics of an imperial court?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ccs posted:

How do you write a fantasy story disengaged from the real world unless it only focuses on outdated power structures like feudalism or the politics of an imperial court?

Hell, that’s the entire point of most fantasy

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'm reading Ian M. Banks' State of the Art right now and just got to the one with the guy rotting away in the sentient space suit. It was rad. BUT the other short stories before? Not so much. Its sad that none of the magazines he originallly sold to are still publishing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BananaNutkins posted:

I'm reading Ian M. Banks' State of the Art right now and just got to the one with the guy rotting away in the sentient space suit. It was rad. BUT the other short stories before? Not so much. Its sad that none of the magazines he originallly sold to are still publishing.

That collection is really hit or miss imo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Everybody read this story so you can try to help me figure out what the gently caress. It's real short.

quote:

They scanned the small craft. Nothing harmful detected, no extraordinary presences, nothing to give pause. Out of caution they kept the craft quarantined, alone at its dock, for several weeks, before finally sending a team in.

The man was out of his chair, eyes wide open, staring up at the upper portion of the vessel’s bulkhead. He had been torn free of the chair and his legs were tangled with a snarl of tubes and wires, many of which were still attached to his body. A discolored spill of dried fluid spread in a trail behind him. His neck was bent impossibly upward, his body desiccated and bloodless.

“Where’s his suit?” asked one of the technicians.

The other shrugged. “I don’t know,” he said.

“What’s with his arm?”

“Arm?” said the other. “Is that what that is?”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

General Battuta posted:

Everybody read this story so you can try to help me figure out what the gently caress. It's real short.

I see two readings of that story:

1) his own reflection driving him crazy as his brain breaks down from lack of nutrients/ life support malfunction

3) something . . . else . . in the ship

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Not sure what's not to get.

I see two readings of that story:

1) his own reflection driving him crazy as his brain breaks down from lack of nutrients/ life support malfunction

3) something . . . else . . in the ship

It's definitely the second, because whatever it is, it's contagious, that's what the very end is about. There is absolutely something. Well, perhaps less 'contagious' and more 'parasitic'. Note how he didn't see the smear until he touched the body.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's the ship. That's why there's no blood and also why it didn't use the mag field to take off the helmet. The field is the smear. No idea about the transfer of consciousness wrt query though

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So Ready Player One is really terrible. The movie can only improve on the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ccs posted:

So Ready Player One is really terrible. The movie can only improve on the source material.

The last place I heard talk like that was on a battlefield

Battlefield Earth