Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Between holy wars, subjugation, playable religious heads, and handy-dandy single-province-acquisition-with-no-strings-attached CBs, playing non-christians feels too much like easy mode sometimes. Like Paradox designed a system of slowly scrabbling out and tricking your way into expansion, and then changed their minds. All christians get is crusades, cardinals, and easy access to primogeniture.

Maybe it's different if you play as a vassal, but it's a lot of work to find a good vassal to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Figured out why my enemies were pulling stacks out of their rear end, turns out defensive pagans can do that for 200 piety. I'm clueless outside Catholicism.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Walton Simons posted:

Figured out why my enemies were pulling stacks out of their rear end, turns out defensive pagans can do that for 200 piety. I'm clueless outside Catholicism.

And prestige!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Thanks, I'll watch out for that.

So unreformed pagan vassals work a bit differently, I get that I can call them to battle, but they don't have to respond. It means I'm never quite sure if a war is a good idea or not. I have two vassals and an alliance with the King of Rus. Is there any way I can get a vague idea of who will join me if I start a war? Can I do the same with my target?

Looking at the CK2 wiki, as long as you're cosier with your ally than your enemy is, you should be alright, especially if your ally is your vassal and not busy.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 3, 2018

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If you mouse over the Call to Arms button in the military tab it will show which vassals want to join.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Green Tea Erotica posted:

So I go and banish the dude but don't get his fat stacks.

A number of patches ago they removed that, because they considered it too exploitive.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Idk if you know what you're doing nothing is all that hard.

I'm playing as Byzantines. Converted to Catholicism. Married daughter to HRE. They burned her. The dicks! I can't really do much about it though.

So instead I raise an anti-pope, make him the pope in Rome which also makes him my vassal, then excommunicate the Holy Roman Emperor and bunch of his powerful lords. Watch as the HRE implodes. Pick up the scraps, reform the real Roman Empire. Vassal pope = lots of taxes too, even with papal investiture.

Christians also get pretty powerful holy orders. Like the Norse have a good one but there's like 1-2 to the Catholics' 4.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was playing a nice cool vassal game from the charlie start, and the standard massive Francia blob formed, but it just went through a gavelkind explosion, which is pretty entertaining. You don't often see an AI as careless about having kids, but it feels really satisfying to see happen. I even managed to ally with most of the successor states, West Francia, East Francia, Austrasia, and then Lombardy for good measure. It was enough to take Barcelona from the Umayyads!

...for a little while. My liege, the king of Aquitane managed to lose them again. I should've been faster at seizing the crown away from the single province Karling idiot. He even managed to jettison Gascogne during the civil war. I've gotta really ride them hard to reincorporate them into the realm again, otherwise they may steadily shrink away like Asturias. It's hard to deal with the Umayyads and their 7-10k troop supply.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Idk if you know what you're doing nothing is all that hard.

Moridin920 posted:

I'm playing as Byzantines.

:colbert:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

My first guy is still alive and I've gone from having 3 counties to the King of Ruthenia, I've got territory from Magyar to Estonia :toot: Unlimited subjugation CB, being buds with the King of Rus and the new (to me) attach armies mechanics all own. Have to start being a bit more careful when worming my way toward holy sites now I can't abuse subjugation.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So the After The End Devs have said they are pretty burnt out and have given permission to other Paradox Forum users to continue the project as submods.

Pretty bummed, hoping someone will just continually update the mod to stay current with the latest patch, but otherwise, leave most things as is (Maybe add societies, a china stand in, maybe...).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Between holy wars, subjugation, playable religious heads, and handy-dandy single-province-acquisition-with-no-strings-attached CBs, playing non-christians feels too much like easy mode sometimes. Like Paradox designed a system of slowly scrabbling out and tricking your way into expansion, and then changed their minds. All christians get is crusades, cardinals, and easy access to primogeniture.

Maybe it's different if you play as a vassal, but it's a lot of work to find a good vassal to play.

Play one of the Anglo-Saxon dukes of northern England and plot to liberate the country from the Normans.

Back to my current game...

Rome was taken by the Norse, making it easy for me to take the city and end the schism. No need to wait forever to forge claims for me. Thomas is now known as Thomas the Saint.

The crusade against Hispania is a success! Too bad for the papacy that the King of Brittany converted to Orthodoxy.

The Kingdom of Jerusalem liberates the rest of Egypt.

Sweden manages to reform the Germanic Faith. The Brits and Germans are in trouble.

The realm towards the end of the reign of Agathe the Butcher. Not really sure why that name stuck considering she didn't govern that much more harshly than her predecessors, but when you father is a Saint I guess you get judged more harshly. She lived well into her seventies and her son predeceased her, allowing her young adult grandson to take the throne after her.

Kosmas has only reigned a few years, but his vassals have conquered the Arabian coast, capturing the Saracen temple of Mecca. I really want to conquer the North African coast, but the enemy is too strong for me to crush before everyone else in Eurasia overruns my borders. Going to have to wait for the infamy to go down. The fact that my vassals keep conquering the Ukraine and I keep giving them independence helps.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 5, 2018

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Very nice borders. Watching the Abbasids implode always makes me happy.

Cheevo game is great fun, I've managed to take one holy site on my quest to reform the Slavic faith as Ruthenia. I have issues getting any of the other four, though. Birlad is in Magyar, Novgorod is deep in Rus, Rugen belongs to Saxony and is well outside my borders and Plock is in Lesser Poland. I can weaken Rus and Magyar with De Jure Claims and I have my chancellor doing a bad job on getting claim on the site in Lesser Poland but no CBs on the actual sites. No claimants exist at all on those sites so the old invite > grant land > press claim is out.

Ideal outcome would be getting that claim in Lesser Poland any day now, my guy dying without a major succession crisis (he's a 60 year old lunatic with great pox who keeps getting infections while hunting the white bear), keeping my alliances with Bohemia and Pannonia and successfully pressing my once-in-a-lifetime Subjugation CB on Rus. Unfortunately Magyar seems resolutely Slavic so no chance of conquesting my way to the holy site.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 5, 2018

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

baw posted:

Did you ever do an India run? I'm doing my first one now and it's a complete clusterfuck 40 years in

I took over most of the petty kingdom as a count then died and everything split up because of loving gavelkind. Now I'm steamrolling my brothers and chose the "become king" ambition at age 25 and hopefully I can save up money and wait until my liege gets attacked by one of the three surrounding kingdoms that have been sporadically declaring war on him and then take him out so that I can get attacked by the three surrounding kingdoms instead

I did an India run exactly once—starting the day the expansion came out. I unified India, marched into the middle east and on to Rome to pick up the achievement and then I was done. No desire to do it again. I honestly sometimes wish I could just turn India off to increase performance.

In any case, even though I have thousands of hours on CK2 (they must be doing something right) I think one of the biggest problems with the game for me is this phenomena where it just isn’t fun playing a country/realm or, in the case of both India and the horse lords, continents over and over again.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

When I started my cheevo run, something like reforming a Pagan religion looked way beyond my ability but I managed it with my first guy! Hail the syphilitic craven lunatic that is King Svetozar of Ruthenia!

It's only 812 but here's how we stack up with the rest of Europe

e: I've had a look through the list and next up I'll go for reformation from tribal to feudal. Already started building a fort and getting tribal organisation up.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 6, 2018

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
RIP SWEDEN

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Going Feudal could be interesting. The climate has changed a bit since my last post. Magyar is collapsing, they were suffering before but their king died in battle vs Khazaria so they now have a long regency to endure and the Byzantines along with Khazaria are just eating them up so I'm not feeling too secure from the south.

I really need to start raiding to get cash for the buildings I need to go Feudal but I'm rarely at peace as I keep getting called into defensive war vs Germanic pagans from the west by Bohemia and Pannonia, with Croatia and Saxony getting the better of them. Greater Poland is basically gone due to Saxon expansion. I wouldn't bother with alliances but having neighbours like Khazaria and the Byzantines with Holy War CB makes me pretty twitchy. It's a really interesting setup anyway.

My first character finally died of the Great Pox aged 62 so I'm now his 41 year old son who is also a Syphilitic lunatic. I didn't realise Lithuania was a kingdom and that's gone to my brother, it'll be very, very easy to take, though, especially given that I seem to have avoided any challenge to my throne. I've also inherited an almost-won war for some Magyar territory . My plan is to regain the land I lost, either fight in the west or wait for peace if it's a losing battle and raid when possible. Who should I be raiding, though? The Byzantines will be rich but I don't really want to piss off anyone much bigger than me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Walton Simons posted:

Going Feudal could be interesting. The climate has changed a bit since my last post. Magyar is collapsing, they were suffering before but their king died in battle vs Khazaria so they now have a long regency to endure and the Byzantines along with Khazaria are just eating them up so I'm not feeling too secure from the south.

I really need to start raiding to get cash for the buildings I need to go Feudal but I'm rarely at peace as I keep getting called into defensive war vs Germanic pagans from the west by Bohemia and Pannonia, with Croatia and Saxony getting the better of them. Greater Poland is basically gone due to Saxon expansion. I wouldn't bother with alliances but having neighbours like Khazaria and the Byzantines with Holy War CB makes me pretty twitchy. It's a really interesting setup anyway.

My first character finally died of the Great Pox aged 62 so I'm now his 41 year old son who is also a Syphilitic lunatic. I didn't realise Lithuania was a kingdom and that's gone to my brother, it'll be very, very easy to take, though, especially given that I seem to have avoided any challenge to my throne. I've also inherited an almost-won war for some Magyar territory . My plan is to regain the land I lost, either fight in the west or wait for peace if it's a losing battle and raid when possible. Who should I be raiding, though? The Byzantines will be rich but I don't really want to piss off anyone much bigger than me.

Does your 41 year old syphilitic lunatic have any kids, or is your brother your heir? If the latter, the easiest way to reunite the kingdoms might be to piss everyone off until they assassinate you.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

He doesn't have any kids but the brother has zero levies for some reason, it'll probably be easier to just waltz in and siege his capital. Also he's only about 10 so it would mean a regency.

e: I took his kingdom in about six months but my court physician cut my balls off shortly afterwards so I guess it's all academic now.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 8, 2018

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I'm trying to a Harold godwinson run. It's pretty hard.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

guns for tits posted:

I'm trying to a Harold godwinson run. It's pretty hard.

Run away until the Norwegians fight the Normans, then beat up the winner.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

McGavin posted:

I won by arranging a betrothal with the king of France and quickly formed an alliance with him. This made William lose his whole claim on England. I then married off one of my other daughters to his heir.

That's how the Bastard of Normandy became an Anglo-Saxon folk hero.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

McGavin posted:

In other words, literally do what William the Bastard did.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Does anyone have some tips on getting good? I've been playing the standard newbie Ireland game and I've gotten to the point where I control Ireland, half of Wales, and most of Scotland (need to kick the previous king out of his last two duchies) but no matter what I try England always wipes the floor with me. I can occasionally grab one or two English provinces if they have a civil war or something, but any time there is a strong king I'm fuuuuucked.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone have some tips on getting good? I've been playing the standard newbie Ireland game and I've gotten to the point where I control Ireland, half of Wales, and most of Scotland (need to kick the previous king out of his last two duchies) but no matter what I try England always wipes the floor with me. I can occasionally grab one or two English provinces if they have a civil war or something, but any time there is a strong king I'm fuuuuucked.

England will be stronger than you even with all of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Get all of Scotland and get your own domains in order and wait for a weak leader/other opportunity to strike when England is busy with something else. You can also go for an alliance with France/HRE and try to marry into some lands/strong dutchy/kingdom claims.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I have 30% of the Persian empire in my kurd game but I need 80%, but the Seljuk Turks are sitting on most of it, and the rest of it belongs variously to the Byzantine empire, the Mongol empire and the Hindu kingdom of Pala who keep holy warring everyone else. There's only 100 years left to go and my heir is a kinslayer :banjo:

Also everyone from Croatia to Afghanistan is orthodox because I converted the Seljuk sultan to secret miaphysitism way back when I was a vassal and it sort of snowballed from there.

E: the Mongols are orthodox too, so their conquest sort of fizzled out after absorbing some of the northern steppe kingdoms.

pidan fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 9, 2018

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

My council weren't at all keen on Max Tribal Organisation and now I have to wait ten years to try again. I guess I have to spend that time cosying up to everyone, gathering money and prestige so I can either rely on their vote or fill the council with yes-men. Young ruler so I've got every chance.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Walton Simons posted:

My council weren't at all keen on Max Tribal Organisation and now I have to wait ten years to try again. I guess I have to spend that time cosying up to everyone, gathering money and prestige so I can either rely on their vote or fill the council with yes-men. Young ruler so I've got every chance.

Useful fact, you can mouse over a proposed law to see how your council would vote on it, including who you still need to buy off.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Nice, thanks.

e: Ooooooh, shiiiiiit.

You got this, right, Umayyads?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 10, 2018

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

darthbob88 posted:

Useful fact, you can mouse over a proposed law to see how your council would vote on it, including who you still need to buy off.

You can do this to avoid ever trying to propose a law that won't pass. But sometimes I still forget and gently caress up and I have nobody to blame but myself.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Yay, there goes the 'not a tribe' achievement :toot:

This seems like as good a time as any to go for 'And Stay Out!'. They have almost four times as many soldiers as the Byzantines, Abbasids, Shujahids and Hispania combined so it's likely to get worse before it gets better. Got the short straw having them arrive in 837 but I wanted the unexpected.

I think I might start by gobbling up smaller states and getting alliances with anyone reasonably powerful for all the good it'll do vs 200,000 angry Aztecs.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Have I misunderstood the control marriage option? My only son was married, so I landed him off but with the option checked. Lo and behold, he went and accepted a matrilineal marriage to a countess, when he was the son of a King. Sadly, by the time I realised what was going on it was too late.

Thus ends the Solomonic dynasty of Abyssinia, Yemen, Nubia and Egypt.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I've been playing CK2 off and on since like 2012 but it's funny, I didn't realize how bad I was at this game until last week, when I tried my first ironman matches. One game I tried to Machiaveli my way as minor Byzantine county, had some success for a while but never made it past duke due to some bad luck and rash choices in the 900s. Then I tried a Vikings game and managed to reform the Germanic faith, but screwed things way up following the move to feudalism before I was able to get out of Gavelkind. Now I'm a minor player in Scandinavia about to lose a civil war against a hostile king with the ability to revoke titles. Oh well!

Any tips for staying alive while practicing satanism? I've been trying to fix my situation in both games through recourse to the dark lord, but my dudes keep getting assassinated or dying. It seems to be really bad for your health. It's also my first time playing with the council and I think I've just been too agreeable as far as voting and favors.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Moreau posted:

Have I misunderstood the control marriage option? My only son was married, so I landed him off but with the option checked. Lo and behold, he went and accepted a matrilineal marriage to a countess, when he was the son of a King. Sadly, by the time I realised what was going on it was too late.

Thus ends the Solomonic dynasty of Abyssinia, Yemen, Nubia and Egypt.
Go seduction and get some other kids? Play as the kid and do seduction for him? Murder the wife, then the children?

Tbh, I always find people that let their dynasty whither that much to be kinda meh; why weren't you landing your brothers, cousins, odd branches of the family far and wide? Marrying them off to other realms to get land there? Even as a Christian, you should still have a few extra kids every now and then.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The biggest hurdles when going from savescumming to ironman (aside from the chance that your game could break or you could misunderstand some interface thing) are learning to play it safe or just learning to deal with failure. It feels really bad to get busted down after a century of fruitful expansion, but scrabbling your way out of a hole is one of the most fun parts of the game. More fun than waiting out threat levels or steadily grinding away at the rest of Europe.

I have abandoned some games because they went south, but the thing that'll make me lose interest the most is having attained all my goals, settling into a period of mostly peace, and then having no idea where to go next.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I must say, it was really funny when I was Emperor of Abyssinia with a bunch of kings in the south that I crawled myself up from. Periodically one of them would notice I had minimal retinues and levies and declare war, only for me to open the war chest and hire almost every mercenary available. This happened reliably every generation.

I even moved my capital to Alexandria solely so I could hire Italian bands.

I stopped playing when several major patches eventually screwed up some things, and I got tired of not being able to rearrange things down south to align to de jure kingdoms and duchies. I really want to be able to plot to rearrange borders for titles two or more below me. I'm not stealing from you guys I'm just making things more accurate so we all get along better!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I tend to use Duchy Viceroyalties to handle that, if I make it to Emperor level.

Whats the deal with agnatic-cognatic gavelkind? If I have one crown but control the land of a second i.e. Im the King of Abyssinia, but control all of Nubia as well - will my second son be granted a shiny new kingdom? Or will he be properly subservient to my first son?

Ugh, roll on primogeniture.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moreau posted:

I tend to use Duchy Viceroyalties to handle that, if I make it to Emperor level.

Whats the deal with agnatic-cognatic gavelkind? If I have one crown but control the land of a second i.e. Im the King of Abyssinia, but control all of Nubia as well - will my second son be granted a shiny new kingdom? Or will he be properly subservient to my first son?

Ugh, roll on primogeniture.

Elective gavelkind would create a Kingdom out of Nubia, give it to the second son who would then be independent bc king can't be vassal to king.

Agnatic-cognatic, you're fine - it won't create the kingdom level title and if all they are inheriting is duchies they will remain a vassal (pretty sure).

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I think elective gavelkind is better just because I feel turning your empire into a thunderdrome is more fun than the normal gavelkind's junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I just had an interesting Elective Gavelkind succession, my 38 year old frail, trusting, honest Tough Warrior or whatever it's called going in to crush his Midas Touched 23 year old brawny brother's piddly Kingdom of Lithuania but dying in the very first battle despite outnumbering the enemy 3-to-1. As it happened, the younger, better brother was my heir so I got my nice reunited Kingdom, just with a much better ruler.

My 9th century Aztec invasion is going well for the Aztecs, they've taken all of Great Britain and Iberia along with cutting massive wide chunk out of France and Germany, most worryingly taking three counties on my northern border. They've got 85,000 of their original 200,000 event troops left and they've just started a war with a fresh and powerful Mauritania. The Byzantines and Abbasids have barely lifted a finger against them so if they decide to invade via the Middle East I might just stay independent through out the whole thing.

• Locked thread