Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Ru has obviously clocked out and it's a total bummer, but it wouldn't suck to have Michelle come in and help out in the werkroom; she's the real drag mama here if we're gonna be honest with ourselves.

curious to see if/how the dynamic changes in S10; especially since it looks like the werkroom has been changed or is just a totally new space.

I hope there won't be another All Stars season for quite some time. Morgan being brought on to this season was kinda proof that they're out of stars; she's a local WeHo legend but not a Drag Race star, if that makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, if Ru's not going to do it then have Michelle or Ross do the werk room rounds imo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

the escape goat posted:

if anything, the runway is what needs to be stretched out! I'm not thrilled with how much focus is put into acting challenges, especially since they seem to be set up just to show the girls loving up just enough to get a "rucocococococo" sound effect going.

DIMINISHING RETURNS, PRODUCERS. gotta keep that for when there is straight-up actual goddamn shade!

Yeah, RuPaul has obviously checked out and started just cashing checks. Esperterra and I discussed this elsewhere, but the show has mainstreamed *a lot* in the last couple years. The mini challenges, where a lot of the uniquely gay stuff really happened, have all but disappeared, there's less personal focus on the queens' journeys as queer individuals, and the maxi challenges outside of the obligatory snatch game all feel like hastily thrown together acting/singing bits.

The show has lost its way and its hard to say how much of that is ru disengaging and how much of that is VH1 pushing for more content that won't scare the straights away. Where the gently caress is mustache pit crew guy? Or the pit crew at all?

It's slowly becoming less Drag Race and more Rupauls Costumes Time Dance Party.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

esperterra posted:

I still say episodes feeling oddly rushed the past couple years has a lot to do with there being barely any Ru in the werkroom time any more. Like he rarely ever comes around to each table to ask them what they've prepared for whichever challenge these days, and it's sad. Some of the best werkroom moments of the earlier seasons are Ru interacting with the girls.

I also miss when he'd be there with Michelle or whichever guest judge to direct the acting stuff.

yeah Ru seems so like... checked out now by comparison. I was rewatching S6 recently and he seemed wayyyy more involved than he is now. he gave them a lot more feedback. I miss all the workroom stuff :(

e: ^^^ lol we made basically the same post at the same time, woops. my girlfriend said the same thing, she was like "does this show feel, I dunno, less gay to you?"

TOO MANY GOBLINS fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 9, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It makes sad because drag race was a big part of my coming out process. Queens like Sharon made me realize that even if people looked at me as a freak show after my transition, thats fine and those people are just trogs who can't appreciate my majesty.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I think the possibility that an episode may be 60 minutes plays into the down feeling. Why have Ru go into the workroom if there's no time (especially with the AS elimination deliberation)?

The fact that we're basically guaranteed 90 minute eps for all of Season 10 gives me hope.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

cis autodrag posted:

Where the gently caress is mustache pit crew guy?

Dragula :v:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Whelp guess I have to watch dragula now. What channel is it on?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

Whelp guess I have to watch dragula now. What channel is it on?

YouTube :v:

He first appears a few episodes into season 2. But you can enjoy seeing Israel until then! Dragula prefers quality to quantity in their gratuitous eye candy.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 9, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does anyone recall when they started having complete outfit changes for the lip sync? I seem to recall it happening in AS2, at least. There were definitely times before that when queens took off some cumbersome or restricting part of their outfit before dancing, but I'm not sure of the first time someone put on a totally new look.

I wonder if there never was any rule about it, and eventually the queens just realized they had plenty of time to change.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's an AS2/AS3 thing only, due to them already being in the werk room before the actual lip sync instead of waiting backstage.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

esperterra posted:

It's an AS2/AS3 thing only, due to them already being in the werk room before the actual lip sync instead of waiting backstage.

Oh, good point. And I just realized that, on top of having access to the werk room, they know before they leave the stage who's going to be performing. On a regular season you'd have the bottom three or more changing just in case. I don't know how many extra looks they bring, but that would add up quickly.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
The “journey as a queer performer” stuff never really felt all that... honest from the show’s side. That part at the end of S7 where they held up 3rd grade photos and pushed the queens on “what they’d tell little [Pearl/Ginger/Violet]” was horribly uncomfortable (and downright exploitative with Pearl, who seemed to have gone through some kind of trauma as a kid). I’m fine with less of that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

warez posted:

The “journey as a queer performer” stuff never really felt all that... honest from the show’s side. That part at the end of S7 where they held up 3rd grade photos and pushed the queens on “what they’d tell little [Pearl/Ginger/Violet]” was horribly uncomfortable (and downright exploitative with Pearl, who seemed to have gone through some kind of trauma as a kid). I’m fine with less of that.

That's not what I'm talking about. Queens used to talk about their lives a lot more in the werk room, or at least they showed more of it. Now all you see of those conversations is more generic bits about anxiety or depression that non queer folks would relate to too. And lots of sniping between queens. I miss some of the really sincere heart to hearts talks you'd get in earlier seasons.

The photo thing was always tacky.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

warez posted:

ugh that was awful, it really seemed like they were trying to needle the story out of her and she wasn't having it at all. I felt so bad for her :smith:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Dragula is also available on amazon prime, which doesn't suck.
it's a really rad (and welcome) alternative to Drag Race; it features a more diverse cast who can get truly freaky with what they do, genderfuck is more prevalent, and it doesn't shy away from being Gay As Hell.

the "extermination" challenges can be a little overwhelming, but they're all based on stuff that the Boulet Bros have legit participated in as part of their shows.
also gotta say that I'm a huge fan of how each eliminated queen gets their own little vignette at the end of the episode showing how they perish.

and, uh... if you're into dudes, their personal assistant Israel is as hot as the loving sun. you may not want to scroll through his insta while at work though. https://www.instagram.com/israelhermes1111/?hl=en

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

the escape goat posted:

Dragula is also available on amazon prime, which doesn't suck.
it's a really rad (and welcome) alternative to Drag Race; it features a more diverse cast who can get truly freaky with what they do, genderfuck is more prevalent, and it doesn't shy away from being Gay As Hell.

the "extermination" challenges can be a little overwhelming, but they're all based on stuff that the Boulet Bros have legit participated in as part of their shows.
also gotta say that I'm a huge fan of how each eliminated queen gets their own little vignette at the end of the episode showing how they perish.

and, uh... if you're into dudes, their personal assistant Israel is as hot as the loving sun. you may not want to scroll through his insta while at work though. https://www.instagram.com/israelhermes1111/?hl=en

I'm like 99 percent lesbian but I don't mind mancandy as long as they don't talk too much :v:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

I'm like 99 percent lesbian but I don't mind mancandy as long as they don't talk too much :v:

Then you will not mind them literally at all! 😄

warez
Mar 13, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

That's not what I'm talking about. Queens used to talk about their lives a lot more in the werk room, or at least they showed more of it. Now all you see of those conversations is more generic bits about anxiety or depression that non queer folks would relate to too. And lots of sniping between queens. I miss some of the really sincere heart to hearts talks you'd get in earlier seasons.

The photo thing was always tacky.

Ah, well that I’ll agree with. There’s not much quality workroom banter/discussions anymore unless it’s discussing the competition (the new format of Untucked scratches that itch for me sometimes but it’s never all that deep/personal).

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I kind of appreciate Shangela's terrible fat suit as a bookend to Milk's excellent muscle suit. I can see why people don't, or find it offensive, but it fulfills some sort of aesthetic thing for me. Both are an exaggeration of physical features, which is a drag staple. Alexis Mateo's giant breastplate falls into the same cultural place for me - women with giant breasts are seen as sex symbols and face constant harassment for a feature they have little control over, and which may give them back pain or other issues, which they may even resort to surgery to fix. Queens going without titties at all might be seen as being offensive to women who are generally smaller-breasted, who face ridicule or might consider an enlargement surgery to 'correct' that issues.

Body image and self is an issue that is definitely worth exploring through drag, as much as gender identity is. Shangie might not have done a good job at that, and it might just have been a "fat lol" thing, but I think there's space for that to happen.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

angerbeet posted:

I kind of appreciate Shangela's terrible fat suit as a bookend to Milk's excellent muscle suit. I can see why people don't, or find it offensive, but it fulfills some sort of aesthetic thing for me. Both are an exaggeration of physical features, which is a drag staple. Alexis Mateo's giant breastplate falls into the same cultural place for me - women with giant breasts are seen as sex symbols and face constant harassment for a feature they have little control over, and which may give them back pain or other issues, which they may even resort to surgery to fix. Queens going without titties at all might be seen as being offensive to women who are generally smaller-breasted, who face ridicule or might consider an enlargement surgery to 'correct' that issues.

Body image and self is an issue that is definitely worth exploring through drag, as much as gender identity is. Shangie might not have done a good job at that, and it might just have been a "fat lol" thing, but I think there's space for that to happen.

:agreed:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Also my gentle ramblings about the esoteric natures of self are great and all but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs-MVbCrNxM

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I would like Shangela a whole lot more if she shut up about GoT

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's Chad's Hunger Games but times a million.

At least the GoT references will age better than the Hunger Games ones did.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Raere posted:

I would like Shangela a whole lot more if she shut up about GoT

Shangie is now a thing that has been in contact with fire: burnt.

Seriously, she's incapable of making a reference without explicitly spelling out its source.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like her references, cheesy as they are. It's cute. Also very fitting with how much we talk about RPDR in the Bad Thread these days.

Shangela Laquifa Wafley of the Haus of Edwards, First of her Name, The Undaddied, Nancy Drew of the Queens and the Gay Men, Successor to the Hall of Fame, Thrower of Cups and Mother of Halleloo imho

warez
Mar 13, 2003

angerbeet posted:

Yeah. I haven't struggled with being obese so it's not really my place to tell people to not be offended or whatever, but I agree there's a lot of room for queens to do interesting takes on exaggerated body shapes (I think Thorgy's prosthetics from a few year ago and Milk's muscle suit looked incredible and there was obviously a lot of time/effort put into creating them). I know it's not exactly the same, but comically massive hip pads are a drag staple for a lot of queens too.

esperterra posted:

Shangela Laquifa Wafley of the Haus of Edwards, First of her Name, The Undaddied, Nancy Drew of the Queens and the Gay Men, Successor to the Hall of Fame, Thrower of Cups and Mother of Halleloo imho

"thrower of lemons," surely

warez fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 10, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

warez posted:

"thrower of limes," surely

Yeah I was debating between the two lmao, they both work well.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

https://twitter.com/bookhouseboy90/status/971963186776752128

Shangy, I love you but Cersei is way cooler near the end of the series.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

warez posted:

Yeah. I haven't struggled with being obese so it's not really my place to tell people to not be offended or whatever, but I agree there's a lot of room for queens to do interesting takes on exaggerated body shapes (I think Thorgy's prosthetics from a few year ago and Milk's muscle suit looked incredible and there was obviously a lot of time/effort put into creating them). I know it's not exactly the same, but comically massive hip pads are a drag staple for a lot of queens too.

"thrower of lemons," surely

I think you could do interesting things with body image, but I would not say that Shangela did do interesting things with it.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

No disagreement there.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

esperterra posted:

Also I think someone said they were sick of the props earlier in the thread, and I can agree with props coming out a lot on a normal season not being a good thing, but I think on All Stars it's fine if the girls have to or want to do something a little extra. Especially since they're the only queens who get to change into whatever outfit they want before a lip sync.

Though there is something to be said for keeping a prop hidden in your runway outfit on the off chance you need to lip sync for your life that night.

hahaha might have been me and its an issue i take specifically with shangela ahaha. her "corn" outfit a few weeks ago drove me bananas

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

shangela's lipsynch this episode was one gimmick and a bunch of fuckin' around and if you didnt like the gimmick, absolutely nothin she did would have won you over.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Trixie's reaction to Ben was basically mine. loving gagged.

Morgan you're so trashy somehow and yet I still kind of think you're amazing.

Shangela knows how to stick to a theme I will give her that.

Nancy Pelosi felt so loving awkward but I mean, a politician appearing on a show like this is unironically pretty amazing to me :unsmith:

32 minutes to go :allears:

E: Ughhhh Bebe reminds me more of a coworker who I dislike at work every week with her attitude and how she talks and her fakey distress and it makes me dislike her

E2: The TV IV > RuPaul's Drag Race All-Stars 3: "A boring white dude who doesn't like hugs"

e3: Trixie nailed the challenge and the runway

E4: Yeah you've been consistent Bebe, consistently boring and just gratingly unpleasant to me when you talk to other people

E5: The TV IV > RuPaul's Drag Race All-Stars 3: Would you guys like to sit on a sofa and possibly cry?

E6: Well that ending was predictable

final edit now that I've read the thread:

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah, RuPaul has obviously checked out and started just cashing checks. Esperterra and I discussed this elsewhere, but the show has mainstreamed *a lot* in the last couple years. The mini challenges, where a lot of the uniquely gay stuff really happened, have all but disappeared, there's less personal focus on the queens' journeys as queer individuals, and the maxi challenges outside of the obligatory snatch game all feel like hastily thrown together acting/singing bits.

The show has lost its way and its hard to say how much of that is ru disengaging and how much of that is VH1 pushing for more content that won't scare the straights away. Where the gently caress is mustache pit crew guy? Or the pit crew at all?

It's slowly becoming less Drag Race and more Rupauls Costumes Time Dance Party.
This is basically it and it makes me sad

Tendai fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 10, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tendai posted:

This is basically it and it makes me sad

At least we have Dragula and Drag Race Thailand, which both own

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm watching dragula episode one and holy poo poo did they shoot this in a storage unit? It's fun but extremely amateur.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

I'm watching dragula episode one and holy poo poo did they shoot this in a storage unit? It's fun but extremely amateur.

yeah the production quality is pretty rough, it gets better in s2 though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Lmao, "is someone peeing? Yes daddy give it to me!"

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`

cis autodrag posted:

Lmao, "is someone peeing? Yes daddy give it to me!"

This moment put me on the Loris train and boy what a weird ride. I'm jealous that you get to experience the gory glory for the first time. Also your post about this show helping you come out really resonated with me, I watched drag race season 4 and Six Feet Under in one semester in college and basically came out to my parents the next summer. So yes it's a huge bummer to see the show get so much tamer.

Just finished the episode, my fat gay rear end wasn't offended by the lip sync, per se, just loving disappointed. Shangela absolutely did work it out but the fatsuit was busted.

The pelosi cameo was terrible, she can go. She looked legit strained. I also saw am extremely cursed tweet from Queerty about this appearance "making the far left's head explode" or something and I was just ugh. I know queerty is trash but like. We really still trying to get those suburban Philadelphia moderate republican housewives on board instead of like, adopting a platform that helps people I guess. Cool.

Ugh. Anyway. Umm. I'm glad Trixie is on her a-game now. She or Shangela are fine with me, I stan both of them. I would probably still prefer Shangie even though I love Trixie. Season 10 can't come soon enough. I already love Alexis Mateo's drag daughter (Vanessa?) And Monet X Change. Aquaria is giving me Milk vibes which, ugh. And after rewatching the S9E1 Gaga Untucked, I'm so excited to see Eureka again.

Last Trixie thing but have we discussed her album (Available on iTunes) Two Birds because I loving love it?? I was surprised how well it works, and any queen that breaks out of the "catchphrase over dance beat" mold of drag music is great. Ajas tracks have been sick too. The only problem is that due to their fan overlap, listening to either on spotify fills my discover weekly with lovely tracks from like, Gia Gunn and Miss Fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Trixie Mattel is the voice of our generation.

• Locked thread