Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Just like all the “god and his mysterious way” reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Brain Unglaus felt so out of place in this episode. A grown man, the second stronkest man in the kingdom or something, going up to a stranger and saying "Wow kid you're so sugoi how'd you do it???" felt like something out of generic shounen trash. I also wish they could go at a faster pace than what feels like one chapter from a weekly manga per episode speed.

Sebas is cool though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Cappy posted:

Brain Unglaus felt so out of place in this episode. A grown man, the second stronkest man in the kingdom or something, going up to a stranger and saying "Wow kid you're so sugoi how'd you do it???" felt like something out of generic shounen trash. I also wish they could go at a faster pace than what feels like one chapter from a weekly manga per episode speed.

Sebas is cool though.

Unglaus did that because it resonated with him. This Kid stared Death in the face and managed not to back down. Something Unglaus knew he would not have been able to do, given that he had run into and had been broken by his encounter with Shalltear and her vastly superior power.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Cappy posted:

Sebas is cool though.

Brain's entire state of depression is because he saw a fight he could not ever hope to win and his response was to poo poo his pants and run away crying despite devoting his entire life to being the best swordsman. Then he runs into some no-talent loser without an ounce of Brain's skill or power who manages to face down the same sort of odds and not break. That's something that should be fascinating and deeply important to someone who is currently as lost as Brain is. The rest of the episode makes it pretty clear that Brain is far stronger than Climb could ever hope to be, and even Sebas says that Brain will be able to handle himself in their little raid, so it's not like Brain is swooning over Climb's combat abilities or anything. He's just inspired by the mental resolution that let Climb stand firm and is seeking to learn something from it.

I do agree that the pacing feels very slow in this arc. The lizardman arc moved along at a good clip and they made some pretty big sacrifices to do so, which was fine for an animated format, but this arc feels like they're dragging their feet.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Brain is a bit under Stronoff's level, but is actually minmaxed almost like a player because he's so hyperfocused on dueling which is why he nearly stalemates Stronoff. Brain is basically right at legendary hero tier which still isn't dogshit to half of Nazarick but hey.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Captain Cappy posted:

Sebas is cool though.

Yeah, not only was he paralysed by Shalltear he was paralysed by Sebas - around the corner. That makes Climb appear impressive.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Fear is also an awful and common effect in D&D. You could argue Climb just have better will save or anti-fear class feat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nyaa posted:

Fear is also an awful and common effect in D&D. You could argue Climb just have better will save or anti-fear class feat.

I think this is just meant to be run-of-the-mill "oh gently caress, I'm going to die" fear rather than magic fear. We saw what magic fear looks like in the Lizardman arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The effect is basically the same as magic when it's Sebas bearing down on you. Climb shook off the fear of someone who may as well be a literal god throwing a punch at him.

To give you an idea of how effective that was, Climb literally gained a special martial arts ability from it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sebas delivers. Also gross. To be completely honest I've been reading the spoilery things posted about what kind of crap the author has put into the original and I was kinda dreading this episode.

Some good fighting with Climb there with interesting swordplay. The training even gave fruit. But given how powerful even a basic illusion would be in a sword fight wouldn't it be way more common? The trick with the triple attack was especially nice. However I'm not really worried about will happen to Sebas. It's not like we don't know he is guaranteed to be completely "forgiven". :shrug:

I'm liking the princess more but the after credits scene just felt a bit lame. Oh noes, a threat that's only a third of being remotely credible (guess who that third is) and a kinda dumb introduction sequence? Who were they posing for? Nameless minions who started clapping when it cut away?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Renner is fun in terms of how the narrative framing her is really typical expect for one critical fact.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Poil posted:

But given how powerful even a basic illusion would be in a sword fight wouldn't it be way more common?
It's probably something along the lines of the standard 'if wizards are really powerful dudes in robes that can change reality but not take a punch and warriors are dudes who are really good at taking and giving punches, why don't people combine them more often?' problem.

That being, it takes a lot of work to learn how to cast even basic spells and it certainly takes a lot of work to be a skilled swordsman. That's a hell of a lot of work for anyone without some sort of shortcut potential (IE: natural abilities from being a vampire, undead, dragonkin etc.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 6, 2018

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Taking one level of wizard in D&D is roughly 5-12 years of education.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Only real phenoms with great special abilities become good spell casters very young. One of the unfortunate Blades of Darkness members had an innate ability that let her cast a level higher than her class. She would have had the ability to become a powerful caster for NW npcs if Clem had not uh, brutally tortured her to death

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sebas ftw

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's probably something along the lines of the standard 'if wizards are really powerful dudes in robes that can change reality but not take a punch and warriors are dudes who are really good at taking and giving punches, why don't people combine them more often?' problem.

That being, it takes a lot of work to learn how to cast even basic spells and it certainly takes a lot of work to be a skilled swordsman. That's a hell of a lot of work for anyone without some sort of shortcut potential (IE: natural abilities from being a vampire, undead, dragonkin etc.)
That makes perfect sense. I thought too much along the terms of gaming.

Mordaedil posted:

Taking one level of wizard in D&D is roughly 5-12 years of education.
Not if you are clever. :v:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

renner might be fun, hope she gets screentime

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I wonder if Momonga is upset with himself that he didn't just grab the few good-aligned NPCs and start his "Make Momonga Famous" plan using them instead of Nabe. Maybe even use magic to illusion Cocytus into a human form so he could join in. He admits that he kind of yolo'd at the start so it's not like it doesn't have an explanation, but it would be neat to see if he starts using Yuri Alpha, CZ, Sebas, and Cocytus as his public envoys from now on.

Also, Next Episode Preview:
Heinz-sama: Why'd you go against my orders?
Sebastian: Helping people in need is common sense.
Heinz-sama: :cry:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cocytus is like two stories tall, emanates cold and is not even vaguely humanoid. i don't think illusions would suffice to let him pass as human.

ainz doesn't really trust illusions anyway, and has only used them with his helmet off sparingly, in company that could not possibly see through it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I really liked it when Sebas kicked that fat fucker's guts in.

I also really like Renner.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope we get more Renner.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

I really liked it when Sebas kicked that fat fucker's guts in.

I also really like Renner.

:same:

The most therapeutic part was that he got to slowly bleed out.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

I wonder if Momonga is upset with himself that he didn't just grab the few good-aligned NPCs and start his "Make Momonga Famous" plan using them instead of Nabe. Maybe even use magic to illusion Cocytus into a human form so he could join in. He admits that he kind of yolo'd at the start so it's not like it doesn't have an explanation, but it would be neat to see if he starts using Yuri Alpha, CZ, Sebas, and Cocytus as his public envoys from now on.

Also, Next Episode Preview:
Heinz-sama: Why'd you go against my orders?
Sebastian: Helping people in need is common sense.
Heinz-sama: :cry:

Cocoytus is already Ainz public face. His job was given to make the lizard village like being under their rule.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Poil posted:

I'm liking the princess more but the after credits scene just felt a bit lame. Oh noes, a threat that's only a third of being remotely credible (guess who that third is) and a kinda dumb introduction sequence? Who were they posing for? Nameless minions who started clapping when it cut away?

I didn't even notice the after credits scene until I read this. Then I went back and not all the episodes seem to have them? Was there just the one after credit scene so far? If so, weird.

On topic though this is just sort of how Overlord works. No one is a threat, but they all think of themselves as big fish. I suppose in the context of this world they are big fish, Ainz/everyone from Nazerick have just outgrown the pond. The posing is very goofy though. I especially like the thoundsand kills guy, he is just so excited that Zero said his name and title.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Poil posted:

For the post-credits scene, the Six Arms are basically the strongest individuals around outside of the Adamantite adventurers/Brain/Gazef, so they think that inviting their wrath is basically doomsday and that they're a big loving deal. It's pretty much the same song and dance as how Clementine assumed she could murder Ainz without any effort and how Khajit was sure Nabe had absolutely no chance at soloing a skeletal dragon; by all of the normal standards of their world they are exactly right, but Nazarick is cheating extremely hard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

For the post-credits scene, the Six Arms are basically the strongest individuals around outside of the Adamantite adventurers/Brain/Gazef, so they think that inviting their wrath is basically doomsday and that they're a big loving deal. It's pretty much the same song and dance as how Clementine assumed she could murder Ainz without any effort and how Khajit was sure Nabe had absolutely no chance at soloing a skeletal dragon; by all of the normal standards of their world they are exactly right, but Nazarick is cheating extremely hard.

To be decently fair to Clementine. She delivered what could have been several fatal blows to Ainz had he not been immune to her attacks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be decently fair to Clementine. She delivered what could have been several fatal blows to Ainz had he not been immune to her attacks.

I mean, yeah, if Ainz wasn't a cheating gently caress who had abilities beyond any reasonable standard for the world setting she would have murdered him several times. She didn't have armor made out of the guild tags of all the adventurers she killed for no reason, she was a monstrously dangerous fighter by the standards of the world at large and probably could have beaten Brain or Gazef, or at the very least given them an extremely hard fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

I mean, yeah, if Ainz wasn't a cheating gently caress who had abilities beyond any reasonable standard for the world setting she would have murdered him several times. She didn't have armor made out of the guild tags of all the adventurers she killed for no reason, she was a monstrously dangerous fighter by the standards of the world at large and probably could have beaten Brain or Gazef, or at the very least given them an extremely hard fight.

I think the author clarified Clem vs Gazef as Clem is overall a Higher Level and would win assuming no particular gear. If Gazef is granted the Kingdom Five Sacred Treasures (Like he is in major battles.) then he wins. But Gazef with the Sacred Treasures is inferior to Clem with her Black Scripture Gear (Which she lost access to when she abandoned that group.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
man, they are never gonna follow up on that plot thread where clementine's body disappeared in a world where resurrection magic exists and she knew momonga is ainz.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

man, they are never gonna follow up on that plot thread where clementine's body disappeared in a world where resurrection magic exists and she knew momonga is ainz.

When we last saw Slane Theocracy Leaders they discussed asking Windstride about the Kingdom and Ainz. Windstride was Clem's title when she was part of the Black Scripture.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So, Renner is basically a top-tier sociopath then?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

*adjust smile for specific people*

*wish them death*

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gaj posted:

So, Renner is basically a top-tier sociopath then?
Yes, Renner is literally as hosed up as her brother and the other nobles insist she is, but they don't know how smart or how thoroughly hosed in the head she is.

Climb is basically a pet to her. She likes him as this puppy that follows her around and provides a pleasant distraction in her periphery but she basically doesn't see him nor anyone else really as a person.

She has a beyond genius level intellect, on par with Demiurge.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 13, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Climb's existence has probably been the only thing standing between the kingdom being stable and being hell on earth.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of Demiurge, those morons are really hosed now. Baaaaaah. :)

But come on that was so obviously going to happen when they left the mansion defenseless. Didn't Sebas report mention how the freaking princess' personal bodyguard is kinda indebted to him? And he didn't see that as an amazing opportunity? Don't make int or wis your dumpstat in real life kids.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 13, 2018

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Fabricated posted:

Yes, Renner is literally as hosed up as her brother and the other nobles insist she is, but they don't know how smart or how thoroughly hosed in the head she is.

Climb is basically a pet to her. She likes him as this puppy that follows her around and provides a pleasant distraction in her periphery but she basically doesn't see him nor anyone else really as a person.

She has a beyond genius level intellect, on par with Demiurge.

Did I mishear or in a later release doesn't Albedo actually empathize with Renner after hearing how she feels about Climb?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fabricated posted:

I thought that the reason Renner went yandere for Climb was because he was the first person who genuinely admired her and saw her for who she was as a human, rather than just a genius princess like everyone else did.

Verizian posted:

Did I mishear or in a later release doesn't Albedo actually empathize with Renner after hearing how she feels about Climb?
Yeah! I believe that Renner brokered a deal to sell out her kingdom to Ainz's domain, in exchange for becoming an Area Guardian (vampire?).

Also some art:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 14, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Now I wonder why Renner is actually going after Eight Fingers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sindai posted:

Now I wonder why Renner is actually going after Eight Fingers.

Regardless of her personal motivations, they're still a hugely powerful and potentially destabilizing criminal group operating within her kingdom who are unlikely to recognize any sort of authority besides their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
True but it'd be funny if it was just to impress Climb.