Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Spring Season 2018: Of Balls, Friendship and Deeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

an actual dog posted:

Really? It's pretty clear it was meant to be a longer show. At the start they talk about making an animated feature together and they haven't yet!

I think the reason there's been a wait for season two is that the director wasn't available, if he is now it's fairly likely that they'll make something.

Agronox posted:

The rumor way back when was that three seasons were envisioned, with Miyamori ending up as a producer.

I don’t know if they ever got to the storyboard stage or anything though.
True, there is stuff they could do! I think Season 2 ends with them getting new IPs too? But I dunno! I wasn't fiending for more, I liked it being this brief window we got into their lives that finally had a happy resolution. So much of it was about realistic expectations from the voice actor trying to find roles to the CGI artist trying to find any stimulating work. The series even starts with none of them being happy where they are, so I'm happy with it being a Maybe They Will All Work Together....Or Not! I would absolutely watch more, but also I'm content not to

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe they are announcing a Third Aerial Girls Squad series.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Spring Season 2018: Our thread title suggestions are so bad Julius never uses them :/

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

I want that show about the plane girls

Fangz posted:

Maybe they are announcing a Third Aerial Girls Squad series.

I'd watch Cute Girls doing Cold War Fighter Jet Things, for sure

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

True, there is stuff they could do! I think Season 2 ends with them getting new IPs too? But I dunno! I wasn't fiending for more, I liked it being this brief window we got into their lives that finally had a happy resolution. So much of it was about realistic expectations from the voice actor trying to find roles to the CGI artist trying to find any stimulating work. The series even starts with none of them being happy where they are, so I'm happy with it being a Maybe They Will All Work Together....Or Not! I would absolutely watch more, but also I'm content not to

I hear you. For me, it was a 10 out of 10 series, and it ended well, so I don't think it needs more, necessarily... but if the team has good ideas and wants to make I will 100% watch it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spring Season 2018: Full Metal Panic, but with robots

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Spring Season 2018: Bears

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Spring Season 2018: go outside and watch some sports

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GorfZaplen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7LA9Ziwt4k

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

What sports? It's Spring.

I ain't watching baseball.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

I know of at least one gentleman who's gonna record games like crazy this year. :3:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

There are a lot of sports anime this season.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

GorfZaplen posted:

:yeah:

Heck, do a sport

Or even something more leisurely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqhN1M7x2Fg

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Tsubasa, Inazuma Eleven, Megalobox, Gurazeni, Major 2nd: Son of Major.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Solve some mysteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvxdT-6RpaI

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
You missed one

LadySpo
A science-fiction comedy where various pro sports bounty hunters fight each other in sporting events. The story centers on Arigetti, Korupi, and Sabina, three women in a team who participate in various sports.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Coaaab posted:

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/971999316037402627

s/o to the peeps who followed the scanlation until it was abandoned literally because trump was elected, maybe this will take some of the sting out of that

hopefully it gets a better budget than ushio and tora.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hopefully it gets a better budget than ushio and tora.
Eh, sometimes it's more time constraints or piss-poor planning than budget. Like, how long had KyoAni been working on Violet Evergarden, Netflix-gravy train or not? Most of 2017 at the very least?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/972302579232157696

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

peeped the staff in that link and wow, Shingo Natsume is bringing along his writing partner from ACCA and OPM, and Kensuke Ushio (Devilman Crybaby) is doing the music

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also aoi yuuki is boogiepop because aoi yuuki will be in every reboot of an early 2000s anime

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

that’s not a reboot i would’ve expected. maybe i should watch boogiepop now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Parallax posted:

that’s not a reboot i would’ve expected. maybe i should watch boogiepop now

og boogiepop is good because it was directed by the guy who directed the ball episode of utena and literally everything that guy does has an episode that is just the ball episode of utena

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

also aoi yuuki is boogiepop because aoi yuuki will be in every reboot of an early 2000s anime

*bangs fist on the table* And dammit, god bless her I say

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder if I watched boogiepop for a third time if I'd actually retain a memory of the plot or if it will just slide off my creaseless brain without leaving a mark again

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I have a still shrinkwrapped DVD box set of Boogiepop Phantom sitting on my shelf, and hearing news of a reboot is making me feel old as poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

looking forward to the haibane renmei reboot

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Spring 2018: pseudo-girlfriend becoming floating naked plot device god

(I stole this from a funny tweet about the new full metal panic, phone posting so dunno how to share it between the apps)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

:stonk:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Reboot Azumanga Daioh

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

they havent even gotten to despera yet!!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

reboot excel saga

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

reboot nieA_7

it's perfect for millennials

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Uh, this is incredibly disrespectful of the original source material, it clearly has more than a single animator armed with yellow crayon. How am I supposed to become immersed if you have, ugh, SEVERAL colours in a scene at the same time?

In conclusion, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAq3x1qjPg

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

...poo poo now I actually want that

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Everything Burrito posted:

I wonder if I watched boogiepop for a third time if I'd actually retain a memory of the plot or if it will just slide off my creaseless brain without leaving a mark again

Boogiepop Phantom is showing the aftereffects of the actual plot, which is an... interesting choice. I really enjoyed it back in the day.

I'm wondering who the target audience is, though, since the last novel was published almost a decade ago.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Boogiepop Phantom is showing the aftereffects of the actual plot, which is an... interesting choice. I really enjoyed it back in the day.

I'm wondering who the target audience is, though, since the last novel was published almost a decade ago.

boogiepop was in the dengeki fighting game and they're launching two new manga series to promote this anime, so i think there's hope for a current audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

I think she's a fantastic voice actress and with her fairly good range, I know that she'll keep on providing us with a ton of rad performances. I just hope that it's not like 2010-2013 where things felt very homogenized as far as lead VA's go.

• Locked thread