Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
You can't remove the radar when your sound cues are absolute poo poo you gibbering retards oh my god!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with this change if they put shotguns back on elemental/secondary slot.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

QuasiQuack posted:

You can't remove the radar when your sound cues are absolute poo poo you gibbering retards oh my god!

basically this

the game isn't built for no radar with the lack of audio cues and an extremely tight FoV on consoles

any benefit gained in terms of additional flanking by coordinated teams will be negated by the frustration of not being able to pick up where players are or chase them after they disengage

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Well I was definitely wrong last night,

https://twitter.com/Josh_Hamrick/status/971924473581457409

What classes have skills/exotics that give you the tracking perk? Is it just Hunters?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

I'm fine with this change if they put shotguns back on elemental/secondary slot.

Oh that's just what we need invis hunters with permanent acrius ammo

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

texaholic posted:

Well I was definitely wrong last night,

https://twitter.com/Josh_Hamrick/status/971924473581457409

What classes have skills/exotics that give you the tracking perk? Is it just Hunters?

lmao I'm excited for every hunter in comp to be running tracer or stomps

Related point: I was reading reddit last night to see how the update was playing and someone made a really good point: for all the talk about "Balance" and the sandbox, we've gone 6 months with basically 3 guns accounting for well over 50% of all comp PvP kills. That's light years beyond the worst of the D1 metas. Even in the worst of the shotgun or HC metas i guess the most 3 guns ever got were about 37%, and that's ignoring the fact that those guns could be wildly different rolls (in some cases). It gets worse for D2 if you do the inverse of this process and lump Poz/Uriel/Number into a single gun (which they are under D1 rules).

what the hell

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
also looking at the numbers the slightly different trials metas on PS4 and Xbone is extremely weird to me

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

Oh that's just what we need invis hunters with permanent acrius ammo

run'n'gun with no loving radar would be so good!

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
shame you'd be the only one doing that while everyone else just hangs out behind a corner

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Angry Walrus posted:

shame you'd be the only one doing that while everyone else just hangs out behind a corner

ah yes, the camping team shooter

destiny is just banging on all cylinders rn

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

CheeseFactory posted:

Origin Story and Cuboid are also good in that alot and rpm

Peep the range on the iron banner one tho

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

IB auto feels like poo poo compared to uriels etc

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I'm coming to this conclusion. HCR is too strong (again).

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
3 hit melee is so bad

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

actionjackson posted:

Succinct version of what I stumbled to say several pages ago lol

So what’s a game that has similar pvp as destiny but doesn’t suck as much?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

yamdankee posted:

Succinct version of what I stumbled to say several pages ago lol

So what’s a game that has similar pvp as destiny but doesn’t suck as much?

Destiny 1

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Didn't The Division have a really bad launch and manage to turn things round entirely, and same for Rainbow Six: Siege? Bungie makes some huge fuckups and the playerbase is really small going by ABGD's posts, but those other games managed to turn things around from similar conditions. Then again, I don't think those Ubisoft teams have the same level of arrogance and stubbornness that Bungie does.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'll have to take your guys' word for it on the arrogance part.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Didn't The Division have a really bad launch and manage to turn things round entirely, and same for Rainbow Six: Siege? Bungie makes some huge fuckups and the playerbase is really small going by ABGD's posts, but those other games managed to turn things around from similar conditions. Then again, I don't think those Ubisoft teams have the same level of arrogance and stubbornness that Bungie does.

They also update their games much faster than Bungie does.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

going by ABGD's posts

ABGD posts about 10 times per page about how terrible destiny is which is an extremely healthy activity as apposed to maybe move on and play something else, of go outside for a bit.

Either take with a huge pinch of salt or put on ignore.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think the dude's just bummed to see something that could be really fun take a lot of wrong turns, and there's nothing wrong with sticking around to see if it gets better and he's clearly not alone in his views either. I agree with him on most of the stuff he raises, it's just surprising to see how low the player figures are when he posts them because I didn't think it was that bad, but then again everyone's obsessed with battle royale games right now it seems so maybe it would have suffered a big loss either ways?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

3 hit melee is so bad

This is the thing that really got to me in the end. Strong melee has been a thing in Bungie stuff since Halo. I can see wanting to break from it but where they ended up is just... Boring

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SUNKOS posted:

I think the dude's just bummed to see something that could be really fun take a lot of wrong turns, and there's nothing wrong with sticking around to see if it gets better and he's clearly not alone in his views either. I agree with him on most of the stuff he raises, it's just surprising to see how low the player figures are when he posts them because I didn't think it was that bad, but then again everyone's obsessed with battle royale games right now it seems so maybe it would have suffered a big loss either ways?

He's doing the "view things through a layer of cynicism and disdain to avoid becoming optimistic and then getting burned when things don't pan out" thing, which is hardly indefensible on its own but it passed the line into plain obnoxiousness a while ago.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hell no ABGD is the prophet of doom we need

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
it does get a bit exhausting after a certain point. like if i wanted to read reddit i would read reddit

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SUNKOS posted:

no he's literally self-professed mentally ill or something like that. Seriously don't worry about it, he'll be fine I'm sure

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

SUNKOS posted:

Division is very good now, but if you're looking for actual good PVP you want to look elsewhere

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
abgd would be a lot less tolerable if he wasnt right

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

It's far too late in D2's life cycle to make the comeback that Division and R6 made.
Which is really bad for bungie, cause if D2 and division were on life support, the plug was actively being pulled on R6 when the devs decided to get off their rear end and loving do something about their game.

The key factor in both revivals is quite simple: They actually listened to user complaints and actively addressed them, something which bungie is loathe to do for some goddamn reason.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I don't know how common it is, but Massive created their "Elite Task Force" of popular, and varied, twitch streamers to visit their HQ for a week to play test new patches. Probably a couple of months before release. They did this before every major patch, with a different test group each time. They had experienced players from pvp, pve, and console.

This is how I think developers should embrace their community. Massive released a fun game that turned to poo poo real fast. They took their time to fix it. They've mostly earned their good faith back.

Bungie has a lot of work to do.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

It wasn't just streamers and youtubers though, they also accepted applicants from anywhere. Lots of people with zero media presence. It wasn't just a public relations thing, they did like 12 hour workshops which was more talking and brainstorming than just playing the game.

And it should be noted that massive's attitude was kinda lovely at first but they got wise pretty quick and learned from their mistakes faster then Bungie did.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

hitchensgoespop posted:

ABGD posts about 10 times per page about how terrible destiny is which is an extremely healthy activity as apposed to maybe move on and play something else, of go outside for a bit.

Either take with a huge pinch of salt or put on ignore.

I have moved on and played other actually good games starting with D. It's not that much effort to come in here and clown on Bungie while taking a poo poo (I poo poo a lot!!)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also here's the thing: Bungie already did the whole "release a bad but exciting game and then fix it over the course of a few years" like the division and Diablo.

But then Bungie did it again and way worse LMAO. That's insanely funny.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Waffle House posted:

no he's literally self-professed mentally ill or something like that. Seriously don't worry about it, he'll be fine I'm sure

What

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dude, there's an edit button.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I just realized that all of the class roles that Destiny tries to gesture at feel so much better in The Division now that I'm dicking around in endgame. I got a gear set that lets me use a SMG with the riot shield instead of a handgun and some heal-on-kill stuff and you can just titan the gently caress out of everything. Just stomp towards every enemy you see and jam a half mag into their head and instantly get even tankier. There is no excuse for that.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

drat this game is poo poo!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

VJeff posted:

Dude, there's an edit button.

Triple Posting in this thread is kinda my thing

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

It's far too late in D2's life cycle to make the comeback that Division and R6 made.
Which is really bad for bungie, cause if D2 and division were on life support, the plug was actively being pulled on R6 when the devs decided to get off their rear end and loving do something about their game.

The key factor in both revivals is quite simple: They actually listened to user complaints and actively addressed them, something which bungie is loathe to do for some goddamn reason.

Nah, it's not that far gone. D1 had the same issues and house of wolves brought people back and there was a natural ebb until TTK came out.

It's close though. Realistically they need to make sure the sandbox update coming out is a good one and that the may expansion does everything it says on the tin and more. They're going to get coverage when the expansion comes out, guys like Datto and other streamers are going to check it out, and the changes if they make the game fun to play and fun to watch will draw both an audience and a player base back. The problems are going to be if this sandbox and other update doesn't improve the game enough to make it fun and there's not enough incentive to play once you play the new raid sector a few of the new PVP maps.

I like d2, it still has a lot of fun in it, but I think no trials radar is definitely a move in the wrong direction. Simply giving power more often is a move in the wrong direction. Buffing everything in PVE is great, buffing handcannons and pulses in PVP is great, buffing snipers is great, but I need to see numbers and see how it plays. Instead of 2 steps forward one step back this is update seems to be 10 steps forward and one big one back, but again I gotta see how it plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Bungie nerfed destiny because a gay dude was buffing it.