Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Collateral Damage posted:

My favorites are the one that are ridiculously specific, like "It is illegal to sell peanuts in Lee County after sundown on Wednesdays."

There's a story to that one, and I really wanna know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Johnny Cash is underwhelming as a country musician. The majority of the stuff he recorded was disposable, he knew it, and the push for him as One of the Greats is a modern invention from the kinds of rock critics who don't want to actually have to listen to country music but still want to be able to claim that they do. If anyone else did his Rick Rubin output, we would have treated it as the Tony-Bennett-duet-with-Lady-Gaga that it was, but we gave Cash a pass because he had charisma. He was a good man though, I'll give him that, and "Hurt" is not overrated but perfectly rated. There were just better country musicians, is all.

Tankies are absolutely incapable of any kind of governance, but all the people they want to kill have it coming, so I support their efforts because a bare earth is more just than whatever else we can manage.

"Low-effort" contemporary art (I'm using "contemporary" as a generalization because this kind of stuff goes back at least a hundred years and through a lot of different movements) is as worthy of funding and being in museums and galleries as whatever people agree "real" art is, and 99% of people complaining that X isn't art don't care about art, they just like to talk some poo poo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Straight White Shark posted:

We were enforcing them at a less stringent level for the past couple decades and I liked the country we were just fine.

I'm curious: do you look at various obsolete laws (anti-cohabitation, anti-sodomy [usually including hetero], etc.) that are no longer enforced and think they need to be enforced too?

What I was trying to say in admittedly a very drunk and confrontational way yesterday is that the fault should be placed on the lawmakers, not the enforcers. Laws like that shouldn't be laws anymore. If society wants a more compassionate immigration system, then we should vote in lawmakers to make that happen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Collateral Damage posted:

My favorites are the one that are ridiculously specific, like "It is illegal to sell peanuts in Lee County after sundown on Wednesdays."

On the one hand, it makes me question the validity of these laws. On the other hand, I wonder about the story behind that law.

What on earth did those peanuts do to Lee County?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Soiled Meat
That doesn't mean the individuals who sign up to steal drinking water from people in the middle of the desert, or to tear apart families, are not human garbage. They are carrying out orders, out of their own volition.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

What I was trying to say in admittedly a very drunk and confrontational way yesterday is that the fault should be placed on the lawmakers, not the enforcers. Laws like that shouldn't be laws anymore. If society wants a more compassionate immigration system, then we should vote in lawmakers to make that happen.

I’m inclined to agree. I don’t think you should give a pass to those who follow unjust laws, but getting rid of those laws is probably going to be more effective

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So are ICE agents drafted or just forced into it by lack of prospects and dire circumstances? If neither then gently caress ‘em. No sympathy.

It’s liking weeping for soldiers who joined up in ‘06 because it is just their job to occupy Iraq. Except stupider because no joins ICE for college money and there aren’t ICE recruiters patrolling high schools and lying to teenagers.

Same goes for cops, especially if they defend and/or are a “bad apple”

It’s a position you don’t get unless you really want it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first time I heard of the ICE was when I saw the season finale of The Shield back when it was airing on TV. I had no idea such a department was even real and felt like it would be a huge waste of time in real life. I thought it was fictional like CTU on 24.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ICE does a lot of things that aren't just rounding up illegal immigrants. They aren't some evil SS-esque organization.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's looking more to me like your deference to authorities even when they're in the wrong comes from an urge to see yourself punished and corrected for your personal failures despite the endowments of your happenstance.

What's less clear to me is what I'm to do with you, my sad little rear end eater.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ICE does a lot of things that aren't just rounding up illegal immigrants. They aren't some evil SS-esque organization.

That’s true, they also deny them medical care while in custody.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So do cops and soldiers so I guess we should defend the shooting black kids and the abu ghraibs because it was their jobs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If cops do a no-knock raid, you should be allowed to shoot them in self-defense.

Not a joke, if a bunch of masked goons with guns break down your door with no warning, shooting them should obviously be legal self-defense.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Caufman posted:

It's looking more to me like your deference to authorities even when they're in the wrong comes from an urge to see yourself punished and corrected for your personal failures despite the endowments of your happenstance.

What's less clear to me is what I'm to do with you, my sad little rear end eater.

if I may offer a recommendation from my friend Judge Dredd: Double Whammy

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Same goes for cops, especially if they defend and/or are a “bad apple”

I love when people use that phrase because it means the opposite of what they apparently think.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I love when people use that phrase because it means the opposite of what they apparently think.

except for the person you're quoting

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
My PHUO: immigration laws exist hand-in-hand with trade agreements to attempt to keep workers where they are while capital can move freely across borders to achieve the cheapest possible labor conditions for the owners of capital. Everything else involved is a sideshow.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

except for the person you're quoting

I'm agreeing with him

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Soiled Meat

gleebster posted:

My PHUO: immigration laws exist hand-in-hand with trade agreements to attempt to keep workers where they are while capital can move freely across borders to achieve the cheapest possible labor conditions for the owners of capital. Everything else involved is a sideshow.

Frankly yes, but then the people who actually make a voluntary choice to parasite on the system of transnational labour exploitation like YIEA are the ones who call for killing those immigrants who are mostly victims of circumstances on sight.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm agreeing with him

Yeah, it's a dumb phrase because the saying is "a bad apple spoils the bunch", ie bad cops spoil the whole force, but it's always used for copsas if to say "it is just one bad apple, don't throw out the whole bunch!"

Idk who is even disagreeing!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Caufman posted:

He doesn't even eat rear end IIRC, the name is accidental.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Bitching about jastiger was way more fun

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

If cops do a no-knock raid, you should be allowed to shoot them in self-defense.

Not a joke, if a bunch of masked goons with guns break down your door with no warning, shooting them should obviously be legal self-defense.

Lol why does it matter if it's legal or illegal of you are going to get lit up either way? That's like saying suicide shouldn't be illegal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, they probably aren't going to be able press charges on you if you're dead from taking a shot at a dozen armed men running at you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Obviously one citizen won't do. See, we just need all citizens to live in Bundy-style armed compounds to make sure we can use our rights to defeat the feds.

Is suicide actually illegal these days? You don't get charged for attempting and failing. Unless you're a train suicide somewhere like Belgium or Japan where its super common. Those fuckers will charge your next-of-kin for cleanup and timetable delays.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always thought suicide was illegal so the cops would have a reason to enter a home if it was phoned in or something. I could be wrong, but the logic would at least track.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I don't know why it is actually illegal, but I believe all people are property of The State, and so The State has a vested interest in not allowing people to kill themselves.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Aramek posted:

I don't know why it is actually illegal, but I believe all people are property of The State, and so The State has a vested interest in not allowing people to kill themselves.

This is why you have to become a sovereign citizen. The government can’t stop you from killing yourself if your name is ALL CAPS and there is/is not fringes on the flag outside of their precinct.

Nerd content: none of the Next Generation Star Trek films were great, but of them, Insurrection and Generations were the most like what ST:TNG was. It’s easy to picture either as being part of the series.

First Contact was fun, but pretty bog-standard action-adventure. Nemesis is what happens when you let a fanboy take the reins and basically have to bribe half your cast to do it at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The opening murder scene in Nemesis is well done IMO.

Also it's the only movie where Tom Hardy is understandable and doesn't grunt all his lines

Caufman
May 7, 2007
He is hilariously unintelligible in Peaky Blinders as Alfie Solomon, a Jewish gangster in 1920's London.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

Nerd content: none of the Next Generation Star Trek films were great, but of them, Insurrection and Generations were the most like what ST:TNG was. It’s easy to picture either as being part of the series.

First Contact was fun, but pretty bog-standard action-adventure. Nemesis is what happens when you let a fanboy take the reins and basically have to bribe half your cast to do it at all.

PHUO the only star trek thing that isn't super boring and lame is the whale movie.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Have you seen Deep Space Nine? It really goes into what happens when the Federation is forced to go beyond their comfort zone, and commits war crimes because the alternative is even worse, and the captain of the series also becomes a religious figure for an alien culture against his will and has to balance that role with his Starfleet duties. All this stuff plays out over 7 seasons, not 1 episode or a 2 parter.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Mar 11, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Have you seen Deep Space Nine? It really goes into what happens when the Federation is forced to go beyond their comfort zone, and commits war crimes because the alternative is even worse, and the captain of the series also becomes a religious figure for an alien culture against his will and has to balance that role with his Starfleet duties. All this stuff plays out over 7 seasons, not 1 episode or a 2 parter.

Deep Space Nine (aside from the new movies) is the only star trek I can enjoy. It still has way too much filler episodes though and every holodeck-based episode is awful. The dominion stuff was the best part, they just needed more of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's like 50 episodes about the Dominion

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Deep Space Nine (aside from the new movies) is the only star trek I can enjoy. It still has way too much filler episodes though and every holodeck-based episode is awful.

The episode where Garak and Bashir run around in a spy spoof is fantastic.

PHUO: The Vic Fontaine episodes of DS9 are all great too.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

PHUO: The Vic Fontaine episodes of DS9 are all great too.

Vic Fontaine is maybe one of the best characters. I would hang out with him.

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
PC = Politically Correct
MAC = More Actually Correct

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

There's like 50 episodes about the Dominion

and each of the terrible vic fontaine episodes could have been another. It just seemed so goofy everyone was taking a AI lounge singer so seriously.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

All the filler and holodeck episodes happened due to what the TV format was those days, you just had to have a bunch of episodes not directly tied to the story you were telling. What we have now is better but the old way also produced bunch of good stuff that would never have been made otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My favorite filler episode is the Magnificent 7 remake with a bunch of Ferengi. It also guest starred Iggy Pop as the bad guy.