Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

And them trying to pressure Fuller to come back early in a season that was already over was dumb too. I know they praised McPhee for doing it but it just led to him having another knee surgery over the Summer and never being right again.

Fuller was smart to not rush back and Pace's blunder just made him a wealthy man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Hurry up and fake sign Cousins already, Vikes.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What the gently caress the Packers traded Damarion's Randall?????

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Is it a surprise after he threw a tantrum after loving up?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

Is it a surprise after he threw a tantrum after loving up?

He got benched, came back and immediately got way way better. I don't care if players get fired up, this is a sport that requires a lot of fire and drive, and honestly the Packers have little enough of that in the first place.

Not sure at all what to think of this situation. I hope we got at least a second for him, considering he was a first round pick three years ago and still had a couple years left on his rookie contract.

xposting some stuff from N/V

SKULL.GIF posted:

Well motherfucker I guess we're starting all the gently caress over again on our secondary

We had better be keeping Burnett. Convert him to CB, maybe, he's actually done really well when he's had to fill in at corner

SKULL.GIF posted:

Still trying to process the Packers cutting bait on Randall. Man that whole 2015 draft was a bust now I guess

I guess the Packers are gonna pursue a veteran corner in FA now? But that's the problem, we needed a veteran corner on top of what we already had, so now we're trading away Randall to... draft a corner? Three years after drafting two corners with our top two picks? It's a position that needs a lot of time to develop and I thought the team would have learned their lesson after letting Hayward walk after developing him.

That Dorsey and Wolf thought Randall was worth acquiring, after having been the people involved in drafting him (at least a hand), does not inspire confidence in me that this was the right move for the Packers.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Damarious was absolutely a plus player after week 4/5 for literally the rest of the season. Much improved in terms of tackling and instincts on the ball. They have to be going for someone.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
What the gently caress, Randall was our only decent corner last season! King might work out OK and Rollins is an alright slot corner, but jesus christ we did not need to get rid of a good, young, cheap cornerback.

Not loving that this is the first move from our new GM.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the bears and packers can have a bidding war for Kyle fuller

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
They got Deshone Kizer for him lol

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

They got Deshone Kizer for him lol

WHAT THE gently caress

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
It’s ok we got the only qb that was worse than Hundley :shepicide:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

surf rock posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

lol

Pops Mgee posted:

It’s ok we got the only qb that was worse than Hundley :shepicide:

Wrong, at the very least he's still quite a bit better than Hundley.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So... what do we do with Hundley? Cut him? Trade him? We don't really have the roster space to keep 3 QBs and I don't think he's eligible for practice squad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hahaha :suicide:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Randall must have pissed off Fat Mike something fierce. We got basically no real value for him and if Kizer ever sees the field the team's hosed again regardless

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

#RehireTed

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
This ain’t looking good.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SKULL.GIF posted:

So... what do we do with Hundley? Cut him? Trade him? We don't really have the roster space to keep 3 QBs and I don't think he's eligible for practice squad.

Kill him and dump his corpse in the bay? Just spitballin here

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
https://twitter.com/show_case29/status/972262163418112001

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i guess this means the packres are 150% going to draft a CB in round 1, rather than just 99.9%

regardless it is Very strange!

also damarious randall confirmed for 2019 all-pro squad

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

:tinfoil: maybe they are planning to train kizer to play WR...or...CB??? :tinfoil:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PupsOfWar posted:

i guess this means the packres are 150% going to draft a CB in round 1, rather than just 99.9%

I have been advocating against drafting corner in the first round for a couple months now and I like that move even less now that we've traded away Randall. I don't want to repeat the god drat process all over again by drafting a corner and having to wait years for them to develop into a solid starter. The secondary needs help now, not in 2020.

Veteran CB in free agency, take an edge rusher or lineman (Vita Vea baby) with the 14th, take tight end or WR with the second, good to go. We even could trade back into the 1st, we do have a lot of draft picks this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao at anyone who doesn't think that Kizer is going to turn into a superstar because of Packer Bullshit

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao at anyone who doesn't think that Kizer is going to turn into a superstar because of Packer Bullshit

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

looked pretty good in the game i saw him play

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand this at all. We needed CB help even with Randall sticking around...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if rodgers plays 12 games, the packers will win the north anyway

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have been advocating against drafting corner in the first round for a couple months now and I like that move even less now that we've traded away Randall. I don't want to repeat the god drat process all over again by drafting a corner and having to wait years for them to develop into a solid starter. The secondary needs help now, not in 2020.

Veteran CB in free agency, take an edge rusher or lineman (Vita Vea baby) with the 14th, take tight end or WR with the second, good to go. We even could trade back into the 1st, we do have a lot of draft picks this year.

I've been generally thinking this same way, yeah

like, going into the offseason, my attitude was "they've spent a zillion high picks trying to fix the defense in general and the secondary in particular, tell Pettine he needs to make do with what he's got"

RB seems set, but they could use a pass-catching playmaker to open up the offense and make things easier for rodgers
Davante is very good - he is not, however, fast
Jordy getting old, Cobb always dinged up and a likely cap casualty - I think it's worth spending an early pick on either a fast WR or an explosive TE

The weird Randall trade makes CB more of a real need, though, and the interior line instability combined with Bulaga's cardboard knees probably suggest an OL pick as well

So what I'd like is Round 1 Edge -> Round 2 WR/TE -> Round 3 OL, but I'm concerned what we'll get is Round 1 CB -> Round 2 Edge -> Round 3 OL

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Which one of you is this?

https://twitter.com/SportsGuyTweets/status/972260327705497600

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

It’s all of us.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Randall did great after his benching. This is a dumb move.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Owns owns owns

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
:toot:

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/972536562985644033?s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some reports are coming out now that Randall lost the locker room and this is a big reason for the trade:

quote:

Randall, the 30th pick in 2015, was an enigma for the Packers -- a talented, athletic cornerback who showed promise as a rookie, struggled in part due to injuries in his second season and almost played his way off the team early last season when he was benched in the Week 4 game against the Chicago Bears and then thrown off the sideline in the second half.

There was strong sentiment in the locker room at that time to give Randall the boot -- sources said McCarthy's committee of veteran players suggested that Randall be released -- but the Packers stood by him. He responded with a stretch of three straight games with an interception and finished with a team-high four picks, but he missed the final two games with a knee injury that some in the organization thought he could have played through. Then, Randall was critical of defensive coordinator Dom Capers, who was fired after the season.

"I'll tell you what I told Damarious: He needs to focus on himself," McCarthy said after the season. "He's got to clean his own house. That's what I look for him to do in the offseason. He did a lot of really good things. We all understand what happened in the Chicago game, but I thought from the Chicago game on, he played at a very high level. He probably played the best football of his career, but then he didn't play the last two games. He needs to go home and self-evaluate and clean his own house. We all need to clean our own house."

There's an article showing some weaknesses in Randall's game that the coaches probably felt that they couldn't fix: https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/10/this-thread-may-calm-your-fears-about-packers-trading-damarious-randall/

Again, all of this is obviously sasflowchart.txt, and I'm still not completely thrilled with move, but moving to the top of the 4th -- the 101st pick -- is salving that wound a little bit, as well as having a backup QB that's going to be more reliable than Hundley.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm suspect whenever a team is saying a player is capable of playing through an injury that the player himself doesn't think they can.

I almost always take the Players side.

Also lol at Kiser being reliable.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

sources said McCarthy's committee of veteran players suggested that Randall be released

... is this normal? Because this doesn't seem like it should be normal.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
the committee or the recommendation? Cause i’ve definitely heard of the former.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

Also lol at Kiser being reliable.

I didn't say he was reliable, I said he was more reliable than Hundley. The Packers tried to gameplan Hundley out of doing anything important and he was still wildly divergent in what sort of performance he'd put up. I know Kizer has shown similar variance but 1. he's a rookie 2. playing under famed wizardly sage Hue Jackson. I think there's a lot more upside there than there exists right now with Hundley.

The Packers are still turbofucked if Rodgers goes down again.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

If people in the organization are mad that Randall criticized Dom Capers, then gently caress them. I wish more players were critical of Dom Capers these past five years. Dom Capers's defensive schemes are what got the Packers eliminated from the playoffs multiple times the past 5+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
https://twitter.com/ThePackersWire/status/972514832455958530?s=20

gently caress it sign whoever

• Locked thread