Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Shown: a pint glass, a teku glass, and two random beer festival glasses which are roughly 4oz each and often don't get filled all the way

I think all my festival glasses are Teku's, Craft Masters or pint glasses, I do have 1 half sized craft master which is adorable. I'm at work so I can't show you them sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Maybe that's just the difference. If I'm going to a festival with 50+ brewers and 100-200 Beers on offer, I'm going to try as many as I can in the time I'm there. I'll go back for ones I really like at the end. If I want to quaff, it's a beer garden or bar/tasting room excursion.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

danbanana posted:

But depending where you are, you might see it. OC distros nationally through 12 Percent, and I know there were reports that the last batch a couple years ago was in NYC for a while.

they dont in DE. but they do in neighboring MD, as far as I know they never received that particular beer though

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Here it's to tick as much rare poo poo as possible, socializing is limited to finally seeing your beer trade buddies in person for likely the first and last time. With the exception of the big beautiful stouts and 8%+ sours, I would love half pint pours at festivals.

I guess that's it, slight difference in overall cultures. There's occasional festival specials but mostly it's breweries with their core ranges and some new beers which you'll be able to buy later. If you don't get to the Magic Rock stand because your legs don't work anymore or something it doesn't matter because you can get one some other time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shabadu posted:

Maybe that's just the difference. If I'm going to a festival with 50+ brewers and 100-200 Beers on offer, I'm going to try as many as I can in the time I'm there. I'll go back for ones I really like at the end. If I want to quaff, it's a beer garden or bar/tasting room excursion.

Also judging by the amount of walking dead after a decent beerfest, I don't think american beer nerds could handle being given unlimited full pint pours.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shabadu posted:

Yeah I guess you have bigger festivals, more to try? London Craft Beer Festival has 50 breweries, the Edinburgh is smaller at 35 this year. A Breweries own Beer Festival like Stewart's Brewing might only have 6-10 different Breweries.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

they dont in DE. but they do in neighboring MD, as far as I know they never received that particular beer though

I was surprised that NYC got Eeek, since that's I'm pretty sure it's still the only beer they've done a brewery release that sold out same-day. Some shops got a few bottles locally but I thought that was it.

It's hard for me to say it's their best beer since they do almost no wrong, but it surprised me how great it actually was. It is a perfect combination of High Life and OC's wild stuff. I will be buying a full 6 bottle allotment next week if I get the chance, so if you want one, let me know.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Aramoro posted:

One of the breweries in the North east has had to go back to 500ml bottles because northerners refuse to by 330ml ones as it's 'not a proper pint'. I'd go for a pint of a triple mind you, but it would take me some time to get through. I do love triples.

Yeah I can hardly complain, I drank a yard of Kwak on my stag do in Brussels

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Aramoro posted:

I guess that's it, slight difference in overall cultures. There's occasional festival specials but mostly it's breweries with their core ranges and some new beers which you'll be able to buy later. If you don't get to the Magic Rock stand because your legs don't work anymore or something it doesn't matter because you can get one some other time.

Someone better prop me up to get to the Magic Rock stand because their beer is delicious as hell.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Honestly, Angry Chair should have known better. Their whole "we didn't tell anybody to line up overnight" deniability is bullshit. Stop releasing beers you know will be hyped (see: trade value, see: resale value) in your small rear end brewery in a loving neighborhood. I can't believe they closed up shop the night before knowing there was a line of chairs throughout the neighborhood. Can you imagine these idiots sitting outside your window all night long on a weekday? The brewery should be embarrassed.

I'm glad I can just throw a few thousand dollars a year at various beer memberships and get beers that are "good enough" without having to wait in line anymore. These rear end in a top hat beer nerds need to learn how to french press their own lovely dessert stouts.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 9, 2018

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

These rear end in a top hat beer nerds need to learn how to french press their own lovely dessert stouts.

new thread title

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

funkybottoms posted:

new thread title

Not emptyquoting

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Spanish Manlove posted:

American beer fests are all dominated by insane stouts aged in sprit barrels which get tedious to drink past ounce 3 so just the thought of drinking six pints at a beer fest makes all of us shudder. That's 24 different samples for us and usually not possible unless it's an all day affair and most of that was sours.

The best thing about Firestone's annual fest is they have every brewery bring a "session" beer along with whatever crazy hypewhalez, so there's always tons of reasonable ABV stuff to drink after you finish your 2nd pour of pastry stout and decide that's enough for one weekend

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also judging by the amount of walking dead after a decent beerfest, I don't think american beer nerds could handle being given unlimited full pint pours.

At a local beerfest they had some punk bands, and some hardcore gutter punker dude got featured in lots of photos because he passed out sitting up on an empty pallet. Good times.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Honestly, Angry Chair should have known better. Their whole "we didn't tell anybody to line up overnight" deniability is bullshit. Stop releasing beers you know will be hyped (see: trade value, see: resale value) in your small rear end brewery in a loving neighborhood. I can't believe they closed up shop the night before knowing there was a line of chairs throughout the neighborhood. Can you imagine these idiots sitting outside your window all night long on a weekday? The brewery should be embarrassed.

I'm glad I can just throw a few thousand dollars a year at various beer memberships and get beers that are "good enough" without having to wait in line anymore. These rear end in a top hat beer nerds need to learn how to french press their own lovely dessert stouts.

Eventbrite/BPT beer sales have existed for way too long for anyone to claim ignorance about it. If you choose not to do ticketed presales for your beer and go the line route, you are specifically choosing the absolute worst method of delivering beer to your customers. It's stupid as poo poo.

Even worse if you spread people out over a week to do pickups, they'll stay, grab a pint, maybe some merch, whatever. If you have a horde of 300 nerds in your 10 person tasting room the vast majority of them GTFO after your release so they build up lots of badwill with customers and directly cost themselves money.

but OMG HYPE BRO

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

I was thinking of ways that I would mess with a bunch of beer nerds sitting outside of my house, but then I remembered that this is happening in Florida and it's probably not a good idea to come in between Floridaman and his coveted pastry stout

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Yeah its really

quote:

I'm glad I can just throw a few thousand dollars a year at various beer memberships and get beers that are "good enough" without having to wait in line anymore.

:shepface:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Someone better prop me up to get to the Magic Rock stand because their beer is delicious as hell.

Speaking of Magic Rock im having one of their collabs tonight with the Garden Brewery , the Samphire Sour. Fairly carbonated earthy tasting sour. I would recommend.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Angry Chair tried to use brown paper tickets for some stuff this week but that all failed spectacularly for one reason or another, so instead people clogged up the surrounding neighborhood.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm drowning over here drowning in Speciation, SARA, Fonta Flora, Cigar City, Schramms, and Crooked Stave. Life is good.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 9, 2018

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Schramms? pretty sure you're floating...

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone else going to the shitshow that is Monkish's anniversary party tomorrow? What with a small, crowded space with rain in SoCal, it's definitely going to be painful at the very least.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Spanish Manlove posted:

Angry Chair tried to use brown paper tickets for some stuff this week but that all failed spectacularly for one reason or another, so instead people clogged up the surrounding neighborhood.

BPT can't handle burst load well which is why everyone in CA went to Eventbrite 2 years ago, I still don't get how it seems like west coast breweries use online ticketing and the rest of the country pretends the internet doesn't exist and they stay years behind.

MunchE fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 10, 2018

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
My friend has reported back that Festival Only is a terrible dogshit beer. God bless, amen.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I will be in the London area (staying out by Heathrow sadly) for what amounts to one day. My plan is to get into actual London on Sunday and bounce around a bit but may be limited because my manager is not super fun. I have meetings all day Monday and then I think we're doing a group dinner Monday night and I fly out Tuesday morning.

I am soliciting recommendations for... restaurants, beer bars, and bottle shops that may have Cantillon/3F/Tilquin/etc. available.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Lyon posted:

I will be in the London area (staying out by Heathrow sadly) for what amounts to one day. My plan is to get into actual London on Sunday and bounce around a bit but may be limited because my manager is not super fun. I have meetings all day Monday and then I think we're doing a group dinner Monday night and I fly out Tuesday morning.

I am soliciting recommendations for... restaurants, beer bars, and bottle shops that may have Cantillon/3F/Tilquin/etc. available.

http://www.caskpubandkitchen.com/

I was there last year and they had a decent range of Cantillon/3F/Tilquin bottles as well as Cantillon on tap.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
had one of the old arthurs tonight

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

My friend has reported back that Festival Only is a terrible dogshit beer. God bless, amen.

It's fine

Will I see you today?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgJkD1Qn3sy/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

why

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That's literally pathetic

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i think i'd rather commit seppuku in a Porta-Jon

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gotta hit up 3 sons before the line starts

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is this a beer Easter egg hunt? Why are they running in different directions, I don't get it?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[reflexively starts googling cigar brands]

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

also i was at Triple Crossing earlier and listened to one fratty dude "educate" his friend- who doesn't live in Richmond- about the local beer scene for at least twenty minutes and i easily squashed the faint desire to correct him and went back to my crossword puzzle

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Festival only was fairly mediocre

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I'll be honest: I didn't expect that many of them to be able to run at all.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Well I cracked and went to Dunderbaks with some friends. I splurged on some cantillon rose de gambrinus at Dunderbaks because they had a bunch of Belgian stuff for beer week. Pretty nice for a literal random find because my friends dragged me out of the house kicking and screaming in goon fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

also i was at Triple Crossing earlier and listened to one fratty dude "educate" his friend- who doesn't live in Richmond- about the local beer scene for at least twenty minutes and i easily squashed the faint desire to correct him and went back to my crossword puzzle

holy god dude i fully relate

The new Triple Crossing releases are pretty nice. Haven't had this batch of the coconut coffee stout they released though. Also at work we just put on a keg of Commonwealth Man and there's a keg of Veil's dry-hopped Coalesce pils behind that. I'm moving to Atlanta in June and I think I'm really gonna miss the beer around here. Is there a good NE IPA brewery in the area there? Creature Comforts makes some cool stuff but their IPAs don't really scratch that particular itch for me.