Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Did they implement that already? I must've missed it.

Do they deploy on the nearest valid province? Or do they pop up in your capital or something regardless of where they need to be?

You click the bar by the unit training gauge thing and then the province you want them to deploy in, then you click the circle at the left side of the bar and then the army/order you want to assign them to (if you click an army instead of an order, I think it just counts as assigning them to the last order you drew up for that army, I definitely remember it not spreading divisions between multiple orders in the old patches when you could have hundreds of infantry divisions under the same field marshal). Also, if you delete that order, they'll just deploy in the province you selected without attaching to an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Never bothered to try that myself - good to know, though. Given ground unit's propensity for sailing off into the sunset or otherwise getting themselves trapped and killed when moving around I prefer to keep as tight a leash on them as possible.

Could come in handy when training units for general suppression and whatnot though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think this MEFO stuff might be slightly too good. I just tabbed over to Germany and they have more factories than the soviets and the USA put together :psyduck:

Granted this is with them having occupied france and poland, but, jesus christ.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

buglord posted:

Also is Republican Spain consistently winning for you guys post-patch, or is that because I've been playing as France or something?

They've lost every time in my games (including once when I sent extra volunteer divisions to them as South Africa, and there were Soviet volunteers there too).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't understand the point of army groups so far. What's the point if you still have to go by army for encirclement orders and the broader army group orders aren't any broader in level. I thought that the point was that I could do individual army orders to force an encirclement, and set an overall army group order to readjust the front accordingly given the progression of the encirclement, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

For anyone who's done communist Japan, how much party support did you have before launching the civil war? I did it with 54% communist support and the fascists still start with about double my divisions. I've been repeating the request Soviet assistance decision and now we're about even. They're the only reason I've been making progress because the fascists still have over 70 divisions in Tokyo and the surrounding mountains. I'm taking one province at a time using waves of soviet divisions and can probably take Tokyo soon, but I have to be doing something wrong cause I have no idea how you'd do this without what is probably an exploit.

Edit: Yep, won the war. Now I have 51 Soviet volunteer divisions that I can't disband or change lol

Ignorant Hick fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 10, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

playing as communist czechloslovakia with ahistorical ai. got loving murdered but the rump forces were holding on, romania (and france but they got murdered) joined the comintern. the front holds steady on the east until hitler declares on poland, dragging in the uk. poland starts pushing into germany, uk gets a beachhead in the low countries and slowly starts pushing out. berlin falls and i even managed to get prague back

then russia declares war on poland

what the gently caress, stalin

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

what the gently caress, stalin

historical accuracy

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

spectralent posted:

I think this MEFO stuff might be slightly too good. I just tabbed over to Germany and they have more factories than the soviets and the USA put together :psyduck:

Granted this is with them having occupied france and poland, but, jesus christ.

I had no idea that it sets your consumer goods need to 0 so I got rid of it in 1938 or so :negative:

Also, the focuses of some other nations seem a bit hosed up if you go off the rails. Italy and Japan get blocked a bit if Germany's not fascist and if you're a non-Nazi Germany you still get events for things like Hungary demanding land even if they're in the Axis and you aren't.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I still don't have a full grip on the game but i'm playing the PRC and am spending most of my time building infrastructure and waiting for focus tree nodes to finish so I can shake off all these debuffs before I take over China. I feel like I should be more proactive though and I'm not entirely sure how, so far all I've decided to do is boost the french communist party so that they like me but thats it.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ignorant Hick posted:

For anyone who's done communist Japan, how much party support did you have before launching the civil war? I did it with 54% communist support and the fascists still start with about double my divisions. I've been repeating the request Soviet assistance decision and now we're about even. They're the only reason I've been making progress because the fascists still have over 70 divisions in Tokyo and the surrounding mountains. I'm taking one province at a time using waves of soviet divisions and can probably take Tokyo soon, but I have to be doing something wrong cause I have no idea how you'd do this without what is probably an exploit.

Edit: Yep, won the war. Now I have 51 Soviet volunteer divisions that I can't disband or change lol

i've tried communist japan at 34% and 49%. you get the same number of divisions (only difference was where the navy was and a few straggler divisions and aircraft that got added). that civil war is stupidly unfun, they really need to make it less of a grind.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Looks like you can still end up with 3 Chinas after WW2. Except now they're filled with self-loathing and poor self-esteem :v:

All-in-all pretty good first game. As usual I feel compelled to write a little summary for y'all.

The Allies

UK, German Empire, UK Commonwealth (Canada, Australia, India, etc.), Japan, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan

Axis

Italy, Hungary, Bulgaria, Turkey

Comintern

USSR, Mongolia, Spain, France, Communist China, Nationalist China ( :wtc: ), Belgium ( :stare: ), Switzerland ( :vince: )

Didn't Do poo poo

Poland, Czechoslovakia, Austria, Yugoslavia, Baltics, Scandinavia, Romania, USA

Start of the War

War started when I DOWed on France. In my mind the UK/Germany demanded them to stop being Communist but they refused. So WW2 starts in 1942 as Comintern vs Allies. Japan jumps in on the action nearly immediately as they never messed around with China and they start invading the Soviet Far East. Thank god for taking that pressure off. Thanks Japan!

The French and I can't do anything, so I called up the go-around Maginot via Switzerland national focus. That was amazing :allears:. Really gave the war a fun, unique feeling.

Switzerland throws in the towel by May, letting me unleash my secret plan.

Bam. Encircled the entire French Army in Maginot. Out of supply and unable to break out the French part of the war is over.

The occupation split between Germany and the UK looks very much like German-occupied and Vichy France in our timeline. Kind of a neat little artifact.

The War Gets Silly

Japan is still pounding the Soviets in the Far East but things are quiet back in Europe. Except Republican Spain, who upon seeing me utterly trash France decide they want to get in on that and join the Comintern, thus allowing me to DOW on them too. They're much tougher fighters but since you have a National Decision that lets you go to war with Republican Spain I'll look the other way about this being sort of silly in terms of what could've happened...because Italy was more insane.

Italy decides to declare war on me because :confused:. Their army is utter poo poo and they drag in Hungary, Bulgaria and Turkey. Except none of them can reach my borders as no one will give them military access and with the UK on my side the waves are safe. I manage to crush Italy in a year or so and just puppet them so they can help with the heavy lifting.

And just to make matters even more head-scratching, Belgium of all countries decides to jump into the war. Why? I have no clue. But my garrison is easily able to take them out and hey, guess I'll get more cool stuff at the peace conference now.

The War Gets Slow

Spain has proven a very tough nut to crack. No matter what I do I can't make any headway. An amphibious assault kicks them out of Galicia but I can't move much further. From the surrender of Italy to the next major action in the war is about 2 years where nothing much happens, except China jumping into the war and screwing up Japan's plans in the East.

Since I couldn't do anything about the Spanish, I nuked Madrid. Sorry Spain, you were taking too long to get out of the war :smith:

I still don't really get how to use nukes but after nuking Madrid a few times their armies became absolute trash and I finished up with the peninsula in only a few months.

The Soviets were trickier to figure out. Since they don't border anyone they're at war with (except Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan/Japan) I have no idea what to do. The UK tried a few pathetic invasions of Ukraine but they didn't work. So I get the bright idea to send my entire army to invade Leningrad. After I nuke it of course.

It works! Supply is a real bitch but I'm able to push out enough that it doesn't matter...and nuke Moscow for good measure.

Japan and I end up splitting the Soviets. Now all that remains is cleanup in China, which was slow and boring so I won't bother showing it.

New Africa

Or well, more accurately "Germany and UK own the continent but feel bad for Libya and Ethiopia so give them some land"

New Asia

Other than Chinese weirdness, Asia looks pretty much the same. Wish that Japan had taken a chunk of the USSR though.

New Europe

-France, Ukraine, Belarus, Italy, Hungary, Romania and Turkey are Monarchist puppets of mine
-I take Alsace-Lorraine and a bit more to put a stop to France from getting any ideas
-I annex Belgium completely
-UK puppets Spain and the USSR
-I carve out Leningrad from the rest of the USSR for myself, the same way the Soviets carved out Kalingrad from Germany after WW2 for themselves
-In all the fighting I missed Sweden going Communist. Guess they saw the war was going bad and decided to keep their heads down

I've had better wars and conquests but I think this is a pretty good one. Bummed I didn't get the achievement for annexing a Caribbean island as Monarchist Germany though. Do you need to invade it rather than annex it at a peace treaty?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

axeil posted:

I've had better wars and conquests but I think this is a pretty good one. Bummed I didn't get the achievement for annexing a Caribbean island as Monarchist Germany though. Do you need to invade it rather than annex it at a peace treaty?

You need to be playing in Ironman to get achievements. Unless you were already doing that, in which case I dunno.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

AnEdgelord posted:

I still don't have a full grip on the game but i'm playing the PRC and am spending most of my time building infrastructure and waiting for focus tree nodes to finish so I can shake off all these debuffs before I take over China. I feel like I should be more proactive though and I'm not entirely sure how, so far all I've decided to do is boost the french communist party so that they like me but thats it.

Annexing your weak neighbors seems like a pretty good option. There's a national focus for it.

The wars take ages (for me) because your troops are so lovely on the attack, but you can build up a ton of army xp and veterancy for your divisions.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Gave it one more try this morning and I managed to kick Italy out of Ethiopia. Here it is after the final Italian troops were overrun on October 3rd.

(screenshot cut if off, but I took 25k casualties)

I played on speed 3x and didn't use the AI at all for front lines, micro'd the poo poo out of everything and managed to encircle and destroy the entire Italian army. They landed some tanks at the end, but it was too late as I had already taken their ports. Quite frankly I was only able to do it because I got super lucky with the RNG. The random general I recruited to be my field marshal was a an Infantry Officer, so despite the casualties I was taking my guys never dipped below regular, and only one of the negative events fired- the one that effects your recruitment (normally I seem to get worker strikes over and over). The AI is a LOT smarter about not getting encircled, but it can't help itself if you give it a big hole in your lines with a clear shot to your capital to try to push.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah starting by taking out Xibei San Ma and then Shanxi is a good way to grow. In the meantime infiltrate Nationalist China.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Man, so looking at Germany now, they've not only got functionally zero consumer goods from the word go, but they also get a national spirit for +10% construction speed for factories and another one that's +10 for infrastructure, which isn't too good because Reichsautobahn still gives them free 10s. They can get free puppets of romania and hungary, and bonus rubber from refineries, which are already much better now. No wonder their industry is insane. The soviets start with a construction penalty, meanwhile, and are still stuck with lovely, trash focuses and no lend-lease. I'm not even sure if the western allies getting stuck in would help much; somehow the USA has less buildup than the Germans.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Jeoh posted:

Yeah starting by taking out Xibei San Ma and then Shanxi is a good way to grow. In the meantime infiltrate Nationalist China.

So just beeline the focus? Ill have to try that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Ignorant Hick posted:

I only had to use the soviet decisions once at 20% communist support with 27 troops plus the 8 Soviets. But for whatever reason, none of the fascist Japanese literally moved away from the immediate areas around Tokyo and Hiroshima? :shrug: Just had to use the communist volunteers to hit their weak formations in the north protecting Tokyo, encircle Hiroshima and walk into Nagasaki unopposed and won. My Soviet volunteers also disappeared at the end of the war, and I had no idea you could take it multiple times. Sounds like a bug.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
https://www.reddit.com/r/hoi4/comments/83fhir/apres_moi_le_deluge_flag_change_decisions/

Some info on what I've done with the decisions system in Deluge

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
I'm thinking about just not using the battle planner anymore, front lines are hard to manage. If i just place armies like in HoI2 how big is the defense penality?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

So, now that I'm up to 1944, I am a little dissatisfied with the China tree; the Forced Loans focus doesn't actually do anything, and as a result there's no way of getting most of their individual focuses since you'll destroy the economy, an effect that doesn't go away even if you top out their tree.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gen. Ripper posted:

You need to be playing in Ironman to get achievements. Unless you were already doing that, in which case I dunno.

I was

HorrificExistence posted:

I'm thinking about just not using the battle planner anymore, front lines are hard to manage. If i just place armies like in HoI2 how big is the defense penality?

At least make the frontlines. I typically make frontlines and set attack objectives but I'll micro any tanks/mobile infantry for encirclements.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 10, 2018

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

axeil posted:

I was

At least make the frontlines. I typically make frontlines and set attack objectives but I'll micro any tanks/mobile infantry for encirclements.

the issue is that drags away units. I had to keep redrawing it playing as france, it caused me to lose because I couldn't put some units to fill the belgium-lux gap and had to keep drawing and reorganizing the pile of tabs now needed to defend a border.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
again, I like the new army model, I just wish I could assign the entire army 1 order and 1 frontline.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Uh did Paradox accidentally make submarines not be useless? As the US I usually put all of my starting subs into a massive blobfleet based out of the Phillipines to quarantine the rest of my navy from how much they suck.

Normally they get wiped out in the first few months of the war without achieving anything.

Well, this patch they stumbled into the Kido Butai and somehow killed three BBs. I mean, I lost 39 subs but sinking Hyuga, Kirishima and Kongo in 1941 is pretty awesome.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Am I right in thinking that if I do an imperial Germany run France will flip communist if I play with historical focuses on, or do I have to switch them off?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Polikarpov posted:

Uh did Paradox accidentally make submarines not be useless? As the US I usually put all of my starting subs into a massive blobfleet based out of the Phillipines to quarantine the rest of my navy from how much they suck.

Normally they get wiped out in the first few months of the war without achieving anything.

Well, this patch they stumbled into the Kido Butai and somehow killed three BBs. I mean, I lost 39 subs but sinking Hyuga, Kirishima and Kongo in 1941 is pretty awesome.

What actually happened was that a crewman on the Kongo was smoking near a leaky gas tank and the ensuing explosion sent flaming shrapnel onto the decks of the Hyuga and Kirishima. Since Japanese fire suppression was terrible, it was only a matter of minutes before ammunition and fuel stores on all three ships were cooking off. Your submarines just happened to be nearby at the time.

One of your captains probably hit the Kongo with a dud torpedo (BuOrd :argh:) after the fact to claim the kill.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So how the hell does this "test the soviets" mission work. The territory it gave me to dispute was oddly my own territory rather than soviet territory. I put my army into Korea, set up on the boarder, then activated the mission. Then it gave me X amount of days to complete it, but clicking the button does nothing.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Just picked this up, haven't played since hoi2, what is the CK2 Ireland equivalent in this game?

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Demon_Corsair posted:

Just picked this up, haven't played since hoi2, what is the CK2 Ireland equivalent in this game?

Latin America in terms of being isolated, but its not a really fun start. Italy is used for the tutorial and have decent land, air and naval capabilities, without being overwhelming like Germany or USSR. A strong minor like Turkey, away from the main action but with plenty of smaller neighbors to gobble up is another option.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Demon_Corsair posted:

Italy

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TomViolence posted:

Am I right in thinking that if I do an imperial Germany run France will flip communist if I play with historical focuses on, or do I have to switch them off?

France seems to flip communist regardless tbh. I don't think I've seen democratic france survive past 39 since the patch.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Polikarpov posted:

Yeah I noticed playing as not-evil Germany that my subs were far more effective, which is nice because I cannot for the life of me figure out how navy composition works which is why I've never played the US, Japan or UK.

TomViolence posted:

Only if you take the National Focus to expel the communists to France. And even then if France has been pushing itself towards democracy it might not happen.

There's 3 basic outcomes for kicking out the Nazis

1) WW2 but without Fascism: You re-create the Central Powers and Assassinate Mussolini. WW2 should probably look pretty similar but you might get Poland to agree to Danzig in exchange for guarantees, freeing up Eastern Front

2) Communist France: Kicking out the German Communists and sending them to France will turn France communist. You can then acknowledge that the Kreigsmarine will never beat the UK High Seas Fleet and join the Allies with the UK. I believe Republican Spain gets buffed in this case too. WW2 will end up as UK/Germany vs USSR/France/Spain

3) Mitteleuropa: Go it your own and form a non-aligned, anti-communist group. Potential members include: Austria, Hungary, Poland, The Baltic States, Scandinavia, Romania and Bulgaria. I think the Allies will leave you alone entirely in this case so WW2 will look like it does in the game Red Alert (UK/France/Germany vs USSR)

Demon_Corsair posted:

Going to echo Italy as they have an early war against Ethiopia that's nearly impossible to lose. WW2 itself can be tricky though as you'll have to worry a lot more about sea invasions and fighting in Africa than everyone else. If you're worried about that, France might be a better pick. You know where the attack will come from (Belgium) and you can extend the Maginot Line at the expense of pissing off Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg. You can also try to hold out till 1948 for the achievement.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 10, 2018

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

axeil posted:

Yeah I noticed playing as not-evil Germany that my subs were far more effective, which is nice because I cannot for the life of me figure out how navy composition works which is why I've never played the US, Japan or UK.

Only if you take the National Focus to expel the communists to France. And even then if France has been pushing itself towards democracy it might not happen.

There's 3 basic outcomes for kicking out the Nazis

1) WW2 but without Fascism: You re-create the Central Powers and Assassinate Mussolini. WW2 should probably look pretty similar but you might get Poland to agree to Danzig in exchange for guarantees, freeing up Eastern Front

2) Communist France: Kicking out the German Communists and sending them to France will turn France communist. You can then acknowledge that the Kreigsmarine will never beat the UK High Seas Fleet and join the Allies with the UK. I believe Republican Spain gets buffed in this case too. WW2 will end up as UK/Germany vs USSR/France/Spain

3) Mitteleuropa: Go it your own and form a non-aligned, anti-communist group. Potential members include: Austria, Hungary, Poland, The Baltic States, Scandinavia, Romania and Bulgaria. I think the Allies will leave you alone entirely in this case so WW2 will look like it does in the game Red Alert (UK/France/Germany vs USSR)

Going to echo Italy as they have an early war against Ethiopia that's nearly impossible to lose. WW2 itself can be tricky though as you'll have to worry a lot more about sea invasions and fighting in Africa than everyone else. If you're worried about that, France might be a better pick. You know where the attack will come from (Belgium) and you can extend the Maginot Line at the expense of pissing off Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg. You can also try to hold out till 1948 for the achievement.

going mitteleuropa also causes france to go fash, so expect a war against the France Italy Axis

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Agean90 posted:

going mitteleuropa also causes france to go fash, so expect a war against the France Italy Axis

I just finished a game of democratic Germany that went this way. Since the UK stayed out of the war, it was surprisingly easy to take out the combined french/italian navy and naval invade Normandy.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I only had to use the soviet decisions once at 20% communist support with 27 troops plus the 8 Soviets. But for whatever reason, none of the fascist Japanese literally moved away from the immediate areas around Tokyo and Hiroshima? :shrug: Just had to use the communist volunteers to hit their weak formations in the north protecting Tokyo, encircle Hiroshima and walk into Nagasaki unopposed and won. My Soviet volunteers also disappeared at the end of the war, and I had no idea you could take it multiple times. Sounds like a bug.

How many divisions did the fascists have around Tokyo when you tried it? I started with I think 32 divisions when the war began and the war screen said they had 90-120. Something like 72 divisions spawned in and around Tokyo, 5 in Hiroshima, 2 in that little island south of it, and 4 in the north. The same thing happened to me with the fascists divisions not actually doing anything. The 4 in the north were active and I manage to cut them off and encircle them, but every other division of theirs sat in place while I occupied everything but the blob around Tokyo. I had every city but Tokyo and it didn't end. The whole war took close to a year and a half to finish cause there were no weak points I could exploit around the capital. Dislodging 6 or more infantry divisions from any of the mountain provinces there was impossible. I only won cause I managed to fight through the only flat lands provinces there one by one until I could attack Tokyo itself from two directions. That single battle took something like 3 months of constant fighting for 36 Soviet divisions to beat the 10 infantry, 1 motorized, and 1 light armored they had sitting there.

And when the war ended both Korea and that little patch of land north of Beijing were still in my control, which I'm pretty sure isn't supposed to happen.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

axeil posted:

I've been building Carrier Task Forces with the following composition

4x CV, air groups are 1/3rd Fighter 2/3rds Naval Bomber
4x BB, should be same speed as CVs
2x SHBB (Optional, but they're tough as hell)
8x CA (Also optional, for more frontline HP)
8x CL
16x DD

They seem to work pretty good. Basically try to build a CL and a couple of DDs to screen each capital ship. Keeping the ratios intact really makes me wish for some kind of fleet manager.

If you're not good at carriers just build BBs and DDs and try to cover them with land-based air. This is maybe the one place heavy fighters are useful other than escorting strat bombers.

This is based off me playing like one game in the new patch so I may be talking out of my rear end.

Edit: All my old BBs and CVs get shoved into a "Bombardment Squadron" for supporting amphibious operations. There's usually enough junky tier I and II screens running around to cover them. I usually put 50/50 fighters and CAS on those carriers to cover the marines.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There's definitely some buggy behavior with it. My Japan didn't fight back basically at all until I had nearly won, then they suddenly came to life and started ruining me because I wasn't in a good position (since I'd been micro-managing to take more territory).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
So how much of this info matters? Does one of my poo poo Italian cruisers vs enough really make a difference?

I guess what I'm getting at is this game throws a ton of numbers at you and I'm wonder how much of it really matters.

I'm coming from ck2 where there a bunch of different infantry types with different stats, but it pretty much just came down to numbers and terrain.