Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:shepface: drat, I thought they gave way more food than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

:shepface: drat, I thought they gave way more food than that

Lantern fruit used to give a nice (if still less than even a peeper) amount of food way back when. Then they nerfed them to be something like 1-2 food value more than raw creepvine "Because you can eat them right off the tree! So OP!" Melons have always been strong by virtue of the fact you have to fiddle with multiple UI menus and a knife to use them, so even their currently weaker than previous state is still notably better than lantern fruit.

The current "weak" state of lantern fruit is technically a buff after their long stint as pretty decorations worth something like 4 food each :shepface:

This is more hilarious down to the fact back then you still had "Did you eat the same item in a row a few times? BLOOD VOMIT TIME!" so trying to fill up a low water meter with lantern fruit would result in a net loss unless you stopped to take a breather between snacks. An issue you would never notice on a diet of fish and sports bottles.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 9, 2018

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
regrets counter for playing freedom instead of survival: 0

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh, so they did get rid of the instant vomit if you eat too much mechanic. Every time I try to play freedom mode instead of survival, it just feels bad when I get food or water from a crate or whatever. The food and water mechanic is a little bit annoying, but it means I still get the excitement of finding something even when it's just something to lower a meter.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Oh, so they did get rid of the instant vomit if you eat too much mechanic. Every time I try to play freedom mode instead of survival, it just feels bad when I get food or water from a crate or whatever. The food and water mechanic is a little bit annoying, but it means I still get the excitement of finding something even when it's just something to lower a meter.

It's either outright gone, or been reduced to near nonexistent considering now I can go "gently caress it, gonna eat 6 melons in a row" or use 7 bulbo samples no problem.

Subnautica's sustenence model has always been an interesting paradox of "Easiest survival game ever" and "Why would they nerf that/make it so awkward?". We've got infinity fish that takes no power to use, but the stillsuit which only slowly gives you 20 value bottles too slow to be all you need has had a rocky road of being removed from the game, then put back in being harder to find/craft.

The more button presses it saves you, the more passive aggressive the implementation basically. "Okay I can take some bladderfish from my tank full of 20 of them, and use 250 power to fabricate 500 water worth of bottles pretty fast... OR! i could wait 15 minutes for 100 water worth of bottles, and need to feed it 2,4000 power to do so... huh."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 9, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Yeah, you can plow down 16 melons in a sitting if you want to no ill effect. The protagonist may cure himself of the Khaara thing but five years later he dies of diabetes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Paracelsus posted:

Lantern fruit gives +10 hunger and +3 water, potato gives +12 hunger and +3 water. There's little difference between the two, but the lantern fruit is more convenient since you don't need to replant it and you can always know how much is there at a glance.

Yeah the Lantern tree takes the least amount of maintenance (plant once, never worry about overharvesting and doesn't require knife to harvest) and the most space efficient (a full grown tree has enough fruit to feed you from 0 and can grow from those small pots).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Scans show you have diabetes because you only eat melons.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
The final achievements were fixed, if you have a save right before launch, they'll trigger.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Davethulhu posted:

The final achievements were fixed, if you have a save right before launch, they'll trigger.
The previous "Sorry son, build another rocket!" that's been a problem in experimental as long as they first fixed the cheevos ported to live, has also been hotfixed after the fact now. At the very least a bit ago I loaded up my save, and it worked out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How to you get aerogel? I could have sworn it was made from the blood oil from the blood kelp.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
gel sacks and rubies iirc

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

How to you get aerogel? I could have sworn it was made from the blood oil from the blood kelp.

I think at some point it used benzene, which comes from blood oil. Now it's a gel sack and a Ruby.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

I think at some point it used benzene, which comes from blood oil. Now it's a gel sack and a Ruby.

That's probably why I thought it needed blood oil. And I got some gel sack seeds from a time capsule.

Hilariously I could not fine more battery charger parts for ages, then I decided to go to check the meetup point and not 50 feet from my base was a wreck that had tons of parts for the battery charger. It also had the last part of the upgrade station I needed too.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I've gotten two time capsules that are just the basic tools you get within 20m of playing the game. I loaded mine up with mk3 depth modules and ion batteries/cells. That shits way more useful.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So upgrading the Seamoth depth modules is done at a separate station that's not the upgrade station, or the cyclops upgrade station?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

I've gotten two time capsules that are just the basic tools you get within 20m of playing the game. I loaded mine up with mk3 depth modules and ion batteries/cells. That shits way more useful.

It kind of spoils the game though. I loaded mine up with the high end food and water.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I put some water bottles and the heated knife in mine, hopefully someone found it useful.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

It kind of spoils the game though. I loaded mine up with the high end food and water.

yeah, being able to access more areas sooner spoils the game.

Best time capsule i've got so far has been the one with ion batteries. Worst are the ones with equipment you get around your base.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ion stuff is a great Capsule stuffer because it comes so late and it's really handy.

Also non-depth modules for the vehicles are pretty good too. Jump Jets take awhile to get and sticking a cyclops shield module can help out people who have problems building one.

A Sea Crown seed is handy, but takes up a ton of space.

But really, a well put together package is a handy bonus for anyone. Craig Mcgills' stillsuit and knife were pretty good even if I ended up tossing the knife.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
I put in a pair of Ion Batteries & Cells, a Cyclops Grappling Arm and a Laser Cutter.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The second time capsule I ever found had nothing but a fire extinguisher :downs:

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
I found three Ion Power Cells in two different time capsules and stuffed them into my Cyclops as soon as I built it.

I never worried about running out of power with it. It was wonderful and I put them in my capsule when I got the chance.

Finished the game last night after a long, long time. Will probably go back in Creative Mode to look at fish and weird environments at some point, but for now it feels good to have escaped.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I found one today that had a seaglide in it. And I didn't notice until my invintory was full really fast.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I'm not sure if I've gotten to areas way before I should get to them. I wandered into the Lost River (I think? Skeletons and water that hurts you at the bottom?), and followed it into a lava zone. I found the alien thermal plant, (and died to a Sea Dragon), and it's pointed me in the direction of another facility.

At this point I've got the Cyclops with the mk2 depth upgrade, so I think I need the mk3 to proceed. I don't have the Prawn suit yet, and I'm dreading making my way back to the surface to build it. I had enough resources to build a bunch of ion power cells, and I've got a tiny forward base at the Giant Cove Tree.

I've gotten 2 of the weird "come find me" messages, and I think most of the Lifepods. I haven't gotten to 2 yet but I have the beacon for it. Am I missing anything major, or should I just build the final Cyclops depth module and head to that alien facility?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

So I'm not sure if I've gotten to areas way before I should get to them. I wandered into the Lost River (I think? Skeletons and water that hurts you at the bottom?), and followed it into a lava zone. I found the alien thermal plant, (and died to a Sea Dragon), and it's pointed me in the direction of another facility.

At this point I've got the Cyclops with the mk2 depth upgrade, so I think I need the mk3 to proceed. I don't have the Prawn suit yet, and I'm dreading making my way back to the surface to build it. I had enough resources to build a bunch of ion power cells, and I've got a tiny forward base at the Giant Cove Tree.

I've gotten 2 of the weird "come find me" messages, and I think most of the Lifepods. I haven't gotten to 2 yet but I have the beacon for it. Am I missing anything major, or should I just build the final Cyclops depth module and head to that alien facility?

Hmmm, it's doable with the mk3'd Cyclops, absolutely. And no, you haven't missed anything, this is how long (short) the game is.

But: I gather you haven't visited the Aurora? No matter, you'll be pointed there eventually anyway for a blueprint. Coincidentally, the ship is littered with prawnsuits that are scanable if you still want one.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I know having an auto map or something of that nature would ruin the feel of the game, but I wish there was some sort of in game note taking or scratch pad or something. I know you can use beacons to triangulate locations and use pen and paper, but that kind of fucks with my immersion. I mean, we’re on an engineering ship to build a warp gate. We haven’t figured out cartography? Our stupid rear end AI can figure out so much stuff.

I mean, our little handheld skimmer can map out the immediate area. Why is that not cached somewhere? Make the map room require a shitload of power and mats and not be available except in the room. Just something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hmmm, it's doable with the mk3'd Cyclops, absolutely. And no, you haven't missed anything, this is how long (short) the game is.

But: I gather you haven't visited the Aurora? No matter, you'll be pointed there eventually anyway for a blueprint. Coincidentally, the ship is littered with prawnsuits that are scanable if you still want one.

I cleared out the Aurora and fixed the engine, just by the time I had the Cyclops I didn't have a Prawn yet, and I felt like exploring with the Cyclops and suddenly I'm at the Containment Facility :shrug:

Took me weeks of loving around in the shallows but once I got going I guess I really blazed through it!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I cleared out the Aurora and fixed the engine, just by the time I had the Cyclops I didn't have a Prawn yet, and I felt like exploring with the Cyclops and suddenly I'm at the Containment Facility :shrug:

Took me weeks of loving around in the shallows but once I got going I guess I really blazed through it!

There are 4? prawn suits in the prawn suit bay. You cant leave the aurora without the prawn suit if you looked everwhere.

The prawn is magical. Reaper attacking your boat? get out and punch it.

Smaller, just as aggressive fish annoying you while you farm on top of your underwater base? get the prawn suit and punch them.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

You might still need the prawn to be able to drill some kyanite to build a couple of things, the amount of loose kyanite is very limited (and also hard to stumble upon), I don't know if it's enough. Have you explored the two islands?, if so then you probably haven't missed much.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Maybe after this patch I can build the cyclops without it breaking my game? Probably not. I really wanna finish this game but drat if constantly losing progress to bugs doesn't just kill it for me.

The dumb thing is I specifically didn't play this game until "launch" to avoid this poo poo.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

The dumb thing is I specifically didn't play this game until "launch" to avoid this poo poo.
I waited a year until launch after getting the game as well because of that. Tried it after launch and put it down after 10 minutes because of bugs and bad performance. Going to wait yet another year. :s

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe after this patch I can build the cyclops without it breaking my game? Probably not. I really wanna finish this game but drat if constantly losing progress to bugs doesn't just kill it for me.

Sininu posted:

I waited a year until launch after getting the game as well because of that. Tried it after launch and put it down after 10 minutes because of bugs and bad performance. Going to wait yet another year. :s

Didn't you know that expecting this to be fixed takes TIME? Such entitled and impatient people :rolleyes: Stop being so negative.

It's amazing how people still eat that canned speech up even when it comes to bugs as old as Early 2017 or even 2016 :sigh: Just had to instruct yet another person how to fix the Quarantine Gun deciding to erase itself from existence now that they returned to it to beat the game worrying if their 80 hour save file just went down the toilet. But no, people still hammer that 'Entitled gamers' button like their life depends on it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 10, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sininu posted:

I bought this game like two loving years ago when I first saw it. I knew I would love it, but I was (and still am) tired of EA games so I never played it. I said to myself "when this comes out I'll have such a nice, wonderful experience with it."

And I did at first but that magic fades away fast when your Prawn starts falling through the floor and traps you in the void. I'm willing to forgive the occasional jank but this game has hosed me over so many times now. The fact that they think its acceptable to have a permadeath mode in a game where a plot critical area can just RANDOMLY KILL YOU makes me wonder wtf the devs are thinking.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Many of the bugs people have run into since full release have been bugs that were there from the earliest EA releases. They even stripped features out instead of trying to fix them - you used to be able to do some terraforming but too much would cause the world to break. Building on the outside of the cyclops was great up until the thing would spaz out and escape into orbit. Probably the only big bug they fixed was one of their own bizarre design which were the huge save files.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I bought this game like two loving years ago when I first saw it. I knew I would love it, but I was (and still am) tired of EA games so I never played it. I said to myself "when this comes out I'll have such a nice, wonderful experience with it."

And I did at first but that magic fades away fast when your Prawn starts falling through the floor and traps you in the void. I'm willing to forgive the occasional jank but this game has hosed me over so many times now. The fact that they think its acceptable to have a permadeath mode in a game where a plot critical area can just RANDOMLY KILL YOU makes me wonder wtf the devs are thinking.

Guess what bug i just had. After 43 minutes of prawning around the inactive lava zone looking for the thermal plant. Had inventory full of kynite. Sea dragon isnt scarey :/. Well, untill he clipped through a wall. Then my prawn suit just fell into the void.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Meskhenet posted:

Guess what bug i just had. After 43 minutes of prawning around the inactive lava zone looking for the thermal plant. Had inventory full of kynite. Sea dragon isnt scarey :/. Well, untill he clipped through a wall. Then my prawn suit just fell into the void.

When I first got to the PCF I thought 'well this isn't too scary or hard' and parked my cyclops on the left side of the entrance. Hopped in the prawn and walked around the corner only to see the sea dragon with it's head clipped into the base on the right side of the entrance. Got a scan of it tho.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

So upgrading the Seamoth depth modules is done at a separate station that's not the upgrade station, or the cyclops upgrade station?

Mark 1 depth modules are crafted in the Vehicle Upgrade Console, while mk2+3 come from the Modification Station. The Cyclops is different: all 3 are from the Cyclops Upgrade Station.

I'm pretty sure that is provably the shortest way to type that. It's a convoluted mess that comes with this game being a tad bit overbaked from a long development cycle. But I think the idea is that you're modifying the vehicle upgrade itself, so you do it at the modification station.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 10, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

f#a# posted:

Mark 1 depth modules are crafted in the Vehicle Upgrade Console, while mk2+3 come from the Modification Station. The Cyclops is different: all 3 are from the Cyclops Upgrade Station.

I'm pretty sure that is provably the shortest way to type that. It's a convoluted mess that comes with this game being a tad bit overbaked from a long development cycle.
Cyclops also uses the Modification station to upgrade it's depth after the first one. I have rebuilding my Modification station inside the Cyclops engine room to pop out my Depth module, upgrade it, than pop it back in before hull crush ensued to remind me. Though who can loving blame you because as you say, it's always been a big sticking point of awkwardness.

It used to be worse when there was not a dedicated Cyclops fab in the back room, and it was done via "A normal fabricator!... But only if you build it inside the cyclops". You make it at the fabricator, idiot. Yes I know you did, you have to use a fabricator you built inside your cyclops, which nothing tells you.

Or back when the Vehicle Upgrade station was called the Vehicle Modification station. So much sass to newbies over people not knowing they don't modify their vehicle modifications at the vehicle modification station. Isn't it so obvious and intuitive that you make vehicle parts at the crafting table for faster flippers :pseudo:

But yes. How I finally started to remember is that ONLY the Depth modules have this awkward runaround.

If it's a straight default part, you build it at their respective unique crafting machine. No modification stations involved for anything but upgrading depth modules past MK1.

EDIT: Oh right, I suppose Decoys are still a normal fabricator object. But they moved torpedo crafting to the vehichle mod station...

HOLY gently caress. I've ignored torpedoes so long it never clicked. How the gently caress are you supposed to rearm your torpedo launchers when you run out of spares, without stopping to build a base or turning around to go home. Not that they were any good anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I've been goofing around with console commands since I won, but I never save, so I freaked out when a late game creature showed up while I was scouring the Grand Reef.

It was a baby emperor! It wandered away before I could park my Prawn and throw fish at it, oh well :unsmith: