Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SlimGoodbody posted:

I know some of it will be the blatant and virulent racism of China, which borders on our own in the U.S. but with the added snag of waaaay more cultural homogeneity, but I wonder if some will also be due to its message that being a weirdo hermit kingdom that's only interested in its own self enrichment is a bad thing.

Similarly, they don't like Star Wars in China because it a lot of casual viewers aren't sure why the military dictatorship which undertakes massive public works projects are the villains. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Similarly, they don't like Star Wars in China because it a lot of casual viewers aren't sure why the military dictatorship which undertakes massive public works projects are the villains. :v:

Oh jesus, is that why the racist yellow peril caricature trade unionists trying to manipulate exchange rates were the villains of the prequels

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark Phoenix X-Mans

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope they're not completely ditching the semi-unique costumes from the end of Apocalypse. I don't think the movie even had a full body lit shot of those.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Phoenix X-Mans

I am tentatively looking forwards to this. Apocalypse was a misstep but the other recent XMen movies have been pretty drat good, so I’ll forgive them this time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Is that JenLaw or did she finally break free of the Makeup Curse?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Oh jesus, is that why the racist yellow peril caricature trade unionists trying to manipulate exchange rates were the villains of the prequels

No, the Chinese market didn't matter yet at that point in time. That was just Lucas being Lucas.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Phoenix X-Mans

Those look like the unis from Morrison’s New X-Men run. I’m guessing it’s set in the 90’s? Those are almost certainly either early 90’s shuttle LES suits or late 90’s ACES suits.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah this one jumps ahead to the 90s.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Those look like the unis from Morrison’s New X-Men run. I’m guessing it’s set in the 90’s? Those are almost certainly either early 90’s shuttle LES suits or late 90’s ACES suits.

I didn’t even think of the fact that this will be the X-men that made me into a Marvel fan. Yep, gonna see this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah this one jumps ahead to the 90s.

Hopefully they do more with the setting than Apocalypse did with the 80s.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Is that JenLaw or did she finally break free of the Makeup Curse?

Probably Lawrence, her movies as of late have been pretty mediocre to crud. She's starting to need the franchise more and more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It could be a stand in or something, but she is still in the movie if that's what you're asking.

They use a body suit now so she only has to get her face and hands done.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I didn’t even think of the fact that this will be the X-men that made me into a Marvel fan. Yep, gonna see this.

It won't be 90's X-men without Big Hair Rogue.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Phoenix X-Mans

They look like a Star Fleet engineering team.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Beachcomber posted:

They look like a Star Fleet engineering team.

They’d look better if the X wrapped around to the back like the design they’re based on.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Phoenix X-Mans

I for one am glad we got five seconds of the 90s cartoon costumes everyone actually wants to see and then skipped them entirely to go straight to New X-Men costumes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I love the New X-Men run but just looking at that photo makes me angry

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Besides the Quicksilver scene, the costumes at the end are all I remember about Apocalypse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Phoenix X-Mans

Wait, what the gently caress? Actual X-men costumes in an X-men movie???????

I also like that Mystique actually has comic hair. I wonder if she has the weird skull headband thing.

Maybe Fox went to the Director and said "people don't want grounded super hero movies, they want super hero movies that are like the comics they liked".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mystique has had an awful wig comic book hair the whole time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

her movies as of late have been pretty mediocre to crud

I'll rewatch Mother! a thousand times before seeing X-Men Apocalypse again.
Red Sparrow's good too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'll rewatch Mother! a thousand times before seeing X-Men Apocalypse again.

That's like saying you'd rather be punched in the balls than kicked in them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loved that ball punch.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hey, some of us actually like mother!

https://imgur.com/JqYTmjn

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chickenwalker posted:

I for one am glad we got five seconds of the 90s cartoon costumes everyone actually wants to see and then skipped them entirely to go straight to New X-Men costumes.

We're never going to get real, fun, colorful X-men costumes in live action. Never, ever ever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Black Panther crossed the billion dollar worldwide mark.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Hey, some of us actually like mother!

https://imgur.com/JqYTmjn

Pervert.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Black Panther crossed the billion dollar worldwide mark.

I'm kind of fascinated by the narrative around Black panther's debut in China: it did surprisingly well in its first weekend but is reportedly getting very negative word of mouth in China and is expected to tank heavily in its second weekend. Obviously, everyone's first instinct is to point to Chinese racism, which is a definite thing that exists, but that doesn't really explain the phenomenon, since pre-sales and first weekend ticket sales were higher than expected. I know, famously, that the Chinese posters were issued with a masked-only version Black Panther, which caused a bit of a stir back in February, but is it really the case that Chinese audiences were fooled into thinking there weren't many black people in Black Panther?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I assume it's more of an issue with the message than the cast.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I'm kind of fascinated by the narrative around Black panther's debut in China: it did surprisingly well in its first weekend but is reportedly getting very negative word of mouth in China and is expected to tank heavily in its second weekend. Obviously, everyone's first instinct is to point to Chinese racism, which is a definite thing that exists, but that doesn't really explain the phenomenon, since pre-sales and first weekend ticket sales were higher than expected. I know, famously, that the Chinese posters were issued with a masked-only version Black Panther, which caused a bit of a stir back in February, but is it really the case that Chinese audiences were fooled into thinking there weren't many black people in Black Panther?

I've only seen stuff about Black Panther getting negative word of mouth from that one twitter guy based in New York quoted up in the thread.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Fangz posted:

I've only seen stuff about Black Panther getting negative word of mouth from that one twitter guy based in New York quoted up in the thread.

Forbes also said it had bad word of mouth, but I don't know what their source is.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Googling, well, it's on 6.8 on chinese IMDB (douban), mostly due to a lot of 3/5 reviews.

quote:

A bit disappointed, the pre-marketing is doing a good job. What is the best man-made game in the country? There may be zzzq in North America. There is no resonance in the country. The storyline is old and can always guess what will happen in the next second; the action movie is pre-empted, and the two Panthers play for a few minutes at last, and it is simply not fun. The hero has set a bug, and it feels like the wing is stronger than the Iron Man (ー_ー)!!

quote:

"Panther" is full of expectations before release, and super heroes supported by a nation should not be worse than Iron Man's. But after watching the premiere of "The Panthers", it was a bit disappointing. In the last tribal war, where did the black technology go, and the samurai ran the confrontation with a sword and gun? The strongest force in the villain is just a rhinoceros in armor? Uh. . . 3.9 In the evening, I was sitting in a gorgeous Chivas leather chair and screaming gorgeously.

quote:

Still too routine, but the protagonist changed to black. Another piece of work that expands the layout is limited, and the action scenes and story highlights are limited. Some political ambitions have been inserted in the middle. Actually it is boring.

I don't know if this counts as tanking though. It does have a better rating than Justice League, which didn't do too bad in China.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 10, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My girlfriend made me watch Wonder Woman last night. "Made" is a bit strong, as I've been meaning to, just haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, I really enjoyed it!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

My girlfriend made me watch Wonder Woman last night. "Made" is a bit strong, as I've been meaning to, just haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, I really enjoyed it!

Hah with the way this post started I was not expecting the twist ending.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

quote:

I was sitting in a gorgeous Chivas leather chair and screaming gorgeously.

This guy's living the life.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fangz posted:

Googling, well, it's on 6.8 on chinese IMDB (douban), mostly due to a lot of 3/5 reviews.

I don't know if this counts as tanking though. It does have a better rating than Justice League, which didn't do too bad in China.
If these are typical then I suppose it may just not have sung as hard for them as it did here, these don't seem like they're hateful given that I assume you're translating them from Chinese.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nessus posted:

If these are typical then I suppose it may just not have sung as hard for them as it did here, these don't seem like they're hateful given that I assume you're translating them from Chinese.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few racist ones, but I think the impression I'm getting is that the difference relative to the more popular MCU films is a lot of people giving it 3/5 instead of 4/5.

I like this fan

quote:

The second preemptive synchronization between North America and Hong Kong. In the war of the throne, the Panthers and the women's squad are very cool and handsome. High-tech and tribal traditions coexist with rich countries and rich countries Vacanda. Want to touch the breasts of the brothers (.) (.) ( ̄┍ ̄)! Action show design is mediocre, the final battle ended a bit failure? Michael B. Jordan's villain is so cool! ! Your sister looks like Riri... The last egg actually shows my husband! !

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 10, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Endless Mike posted:

Being "forced" to watch Wonder Woman but secretly wanting to seems appropriate for the history of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fangz posted:

Don't get me wrong, there are a few racist ones, but I think the impression I'm getting is that the difference relative to the more popular MCU films is a lot of people giving it 3/5 instead of 4/5.

I like this fan

I don't know who this guy/gal is but they're on the level. :3:

• Locked thread