Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Paladinus posted:

I hope to God this comment was at least semi-ironic.

Look into your heart and embrace absolute cynical nihilism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I pray that the remaining commenting fans turn against the comic

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Uncle Wemus posted:

I pray that the remaining commenting fans turn against the comic

quote:

quote:

Wow, Alison winning a fight, with words!?!

Also, I love the composition here, just out for a stroll with my wrecking ball...
It is very visually interesting, isn't it?
The idea of literally walking away from the Anima (which always wants to be recognized and paid attention to) is also a visually ironic stroke of genius.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I

Okay

Even if this was good

That's got to be the most pretentious bit of praise you can do. It's so goddamn basic visual story telling and

It's like praising someone for doing the most superficial poo poo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

someone was ironically stroking their genius while making this comic

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

SlothfulCobra posted:

The artist from SFP was a guest on Drawfee, a show about making dumb goofy drawings, and she was kinda lackluster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1hV85yPK_s

Watched it, kind of hard to say she was lackluster when they hamstrung her on the topic.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Crimpolioni posted:

It is very visually interesting, isn't it?
The idea of literally walking away from the Anima (which always wants to be recognized and paid attention to) is also a visually ironic stroke of genius.
[/quote]

That's uh
An interesting and not at all misogynistic take on the idea of an 'internal feminine' which I'm sure is fully represented in Jungian thought.

Also yeah Alison physically abused someone for the greater good and is now going to mentally shatter someone's coping mechanisms, literally, for the greater good.

She's Ozymandias if Watchmen were incredibly bad. (This comic is Watchmen if it were unbelievably bad)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

It's like praising someone for doing the most superficial poo poo

It's called "damning with faint praise" and is a passive-aggressive way to mock the authors despite censorship.

Or it's meant in earnest by an imbecile who has never read anything actually good so they don't have points of reference for what visual genius should actually mean. Either or. I lean towards the latter because:

Joe Slowboat posted:

That's uh
An interesting and not at all misogynistic take on the idea of an 'internal feminine' which I'm sure is fully represented in Jungian thought.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Also she's prioritizing fixing Patrick (or 'fixing' Patrick, as it were) over actually getting the information she needs to help. Like, just because Feral's mindspace looks a certain way, Allison assumes Patrick's should, too? She doesn't know anything about what she's doing and legitimate concern over his deteriorating mental state aside, the whole problem is that she keeps swooping in on problems and 'fixing' them without concern for the actual nuances of the situation. Patrick doesn't need her smashing a wrecking ball into his coping mechanisms he needs... idk, probably a lot of poo poo Allison can't provide.

Like poo poo this entire comic is just some white savior complex thing, isn't it?

EDIT: Also the idea of Patrick coming from a place of absolute distrust bc of extreme betrayal in his childhood was interesting but making his mother literally a cartoon villain was not, and I'm saying this as someone who is more familiar than I want to be with the different forms childhood abuse can take.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
in the next installment they should process feral into a sausage and patrick eats her so she regenerates to full size inside his rear end in a top hat, killing him horribly and really shining a light on the philosophical question of, are you born a hero or do you become one through your deeds

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

rear end frog posted:

in the next installment they should process feral into a sausage and patrick eats her so she regenerates to full size inside his rear end in a top hat, killing him horribly and really shining a light on the philosophical question of, are you born a hero or do you become one through your deeds

Strong Female Protagonist: just a sequence of regenerating sausage

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

rear end frog posted:

No no that would be mildly interesting!

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The tower is now a meaningless symbol despite having been the means by which Allison escaped to Feral's mind eight pages ago.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 10, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Emrikol posted:

The tower is now a meaningless symbol despite having been the means by which Allison escaped to Feral's mind eight pages ago.

Extremely good point.

"Everything in here is an elaborate symbolic play of forces and signs, which together create Patrick's personality despite his brain being one of the weirdest possible things in the setting"
"Nah symbols don't real, I know what's real and it's me punching things and Patrick's trauma not mattering. I'm a hero."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
If you tell victims to get over their abuse and emotional and mental pain it will work who needs support systems or coping mechanisms?!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm glad we're getting to see a Super Lobotomy in real time.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I haven't seen anyone crow about this being a progressive darling, not in a long while at least. The comic ends of tumblr and twitter are waaay more into gay slice of life/romance, bio comics, UWU junk, and assorted fetish crap. Like, a token interracial lesbian couple as side characters is frankly insulting nowadays. The comic still ultimately revolves around the most boring white heterosexual couple possible.

Enabled by the author's bubble the glacial pace of webcomics compared to the rapid development of the US political/cultural scene over the past 5 years has created an unintentional time capsule.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Dick Wolfe is amazed everybody.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I think we’re all amazed SVU is still around.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Bring back criminal intent, Dick!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
So this is basically The Evil Within, now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Microcline posted:

Enabled by the author's bubble the glacial pace of webcomics compared to the rapid development of the US political/cultural scene over the past 5 years has created an unintentional time capsule.

Yeah, it is figuratively and literally stuck in the Obama era, in both setting and the relative optimism.

A better comic would try to contrast this with a time skip to present day, with the chaos and anxiety that entails.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
a better comic would have the wishy-washy dipshit protagonists stop loving around, commit to their ideals and assassinate donald j trump

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
sadly it's written by an unbaked dough lump with a dick like a half-peeled sweet potato

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The only thing Allison is not willing to smash is the state.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, it is figuratively and literally stuck in the Obama era, in both setting and the relative optimism.

A better comic would try to contrast this with a time skip to present day, with the chaos and anxiety that entails.

I don't think it's even optimism - on some level the comic is much more pessimistic than it realizes, because the scope of its ambitions are extremely Obama- and Bush-era limited improvement. It's the scope of 'everything is blockaded by a calcified political elite and a reactionary opposition so we can only make small forward steps against that.'

Trump is both a sign of vast danger and a sign that history isn't over and we can still do poo poo. This comic is about feeling like you just can't do poo poo because it's all pretty bad but not bad enough to justify burning it all down. As filtered through someone whose response is a fantasy of brutally seizing power over others and 'fixing things' without that ever coming back to haunt us.

I mean, that's what Alison is now: A vaguely liberal id, who can ignore every real roadblock to what she wants and has a sort of warmed-over Nietzschean position of 'I have the power to enforce my ideals through brutality, but since they're right, that's ok.'

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

post-Trump it did kinda dive right into the whole FULL FASCISM NOW thing instead of just blithering about how maybe just murdering people if you say they're bad is fine idk??? they just want a liberal Trump, even more totalitarian but who uses inclusive language and read the same books in college they did

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 12, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think the comic's ever really addressed any actually relevant issues. It's sort of mentioned them in passing and dealt with ludicrous superhero junk that was loosely related to real issues, but it's never really given its own take on anything important. The Mary arc was probably the closest, but it still missed the mark on actually saying anything important.

It's a comic that desperately wants to be relevant, but has no real desire to confront real-world issues, and it ran out of interesting original ideas after lovely philosophy student essay and harvesting wolverine. It doesn't even have anything interesting to say about superhero comics outside of the weakest "punching dudes isn't really useful in broader societal terms."

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

It doesn't even have anything interesting to say about superhero comics outside of the weakest "punching dudes isn't really useful in broader societal terms."

That's what the creators pretend to believe, but torturing a guy solves the organ donor crisis, murdering alleged rapists is implied to be an effective deterrence against rape as well as a net benefit to society, and now Allison has decided to save a man by literally destroying his mind.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 12, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Some kind of story where Alison does in fact go out and murder two million people, primarily chosen for malicious activities, and then the world and her just have to deal with the fact that the only consequence she faces is people being afraid of her, would at least be novel. Kid Miracleman stopped because someone was able to stop him. It seems that nobody could stop Alison.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe

Typical Pubbie posted:

That's what the creators pretend to believe, but torturing a guy solves the organ donor crisis, murdering alleged rapists is implied to be an effective deterrence against rape as well as a net benefit to society, and now Allison has decided to save a man by literally destroying his mind.
basically a lovely 21st century stardust the super wizard

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

second to last panel shes walking like Charlie Brown. wasn't there a time when the artist could draw more dynamically?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

rear end frog posted:

basically a lovely 21st century stardust the super wizard

Stardust is awesome. That would be awesome.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

rear end frog posted:

lovely 21st century stardust the super wizard
is this too long for a username

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
"yo you mind if I hover in midair for a couple minutes I gotta go over my "intro to western philosophy 101" notes real quick"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Giving a lecture to a growing audience as she slowly floats away.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Giving a lecture to a growing audience as she slowly floats away.

oh no now you've said this, I can't help seeing the wrecking ball as a balloon that she is using to escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Behold, the power of cankles

• Locked thread