Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hisoka tripped and died offscreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

drjuggalo posted:

chrollo called all the spiders to the ship though cause shalnark was talking about how long its been since they all got together so abengane aint no spider lol

what is interesting though is that hisoka married illumi into this death marriage before hisoka fought chrollo? does that mean that hisoka doesnt have illumi to change his appearance since hisoka and illumi havent been in contact? is hisoka really belerainte? is togashi trolling us by making us think hisoka is belerainte but belerainte is actually the silent majority user while hisoka is sitting somewhere on the ship dirty and bloody?

Hisoka has been hanging off the side of the ship eating bungee gum for nutrition.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

I disagree that Abengane has a good reason to join the Spiders. To him, it'd have been just another exorcism job. Why join up with the most wanted criminals in the known world when he could just stay freelance and get more jobs? He doesn't need their protection any more now than he did in te first place. It's not like we have any reason to believe that he respects their murderous ways either.

And even if the Spiders considered him too valuable an asset to let go, that doesn't mean they'd force him to join their group. Frankly it seems much more likely to me that Chrollo would steal his power and they'd leave him locked up somewhere.

That wouldn't work; Abengane's power involves the Nen beasts sticking around until the conditions for the power's removal can be met or the person who cursed them dies. Since there isn't a removal condition for Kurapika's chain, that's not an option, and Kurapika's hate probably makes for a very powerful Nen beast, so he has to have something both effectively permanent and irritatingly large hanging around. Chrollo wouldn't want to deal with stuff like that, particularly since you just know that the beasts would stick around even when he stopped using the power, so he wouldn't want that for himself, even if stealing it didn't gently caress something up like undo the exorcism or make it so that he is now taking care of the Nen beast that was exorcised from him or something.They need Abengane to stay alive (in case his death fucks things up too) and have no reason to personally take his power.

It being a likely permanent inconvenience also means that, at the least, Abengane has to have been extremely well-compensated for this, since his life is going to be a lot more annoying from now on. Them bringing him on as a permanent member, both for doing the impossibly-valuable thing of restoring Chrollo and to have him around in the future, as well as it being in both sides' interest to make sure he stays alive, makes at least some sense to me.

drjuggalo posted:

chrollo called all the spiders to the ship though cause shalnark was talking about how long its been since they all got together so abengane aint no spider lol

On the other hand, yeah, every spider should be here, which implies that this is everyone unless, again, the others are hanging out elsewhere or something for some reason. Which, again, puts us back at Hisoka just being wrong about the number he has to kill.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 10, 2018

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

And I don't think Hisoka necessarily needs Ilumi to change appearance. He's got texture surprise.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
chrollos nen is normal and hisoka isnt wrong about the 10 spiders he said he was going to kill with us being shown all 10 spiders and the 10th even saying hisoka put him there

and abengene isnt on the ship fixing chrollos nen still as the secret 11th spider? this is more far fetched than /a/ saying gon and killua are on the ship hiding

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

drjuggalo posted:

chrollos nen is normal and hisoka isnt wrong about the 10 spiders he said he was going to kill with us being shown all 10 spiders and the 10th even saying hisoka put him there

and abengene isnt on the ship fixing chrollos nen still as the secret 11th spider? this is more far fetched than /a/ saying gon and killua are on the ship hiding

The number of legs on the Spider has always referred to its members besides Chrollo; he's member 0 because he's the metaphorical head. They have thirteen members total, 0-12. It's been extremely consistent prior to now, so it changing now would be weird. Also, you're arguing that Hisoka knew he could get Illumi to join them back when he was killing Shalnark and Kortopi and was planning on it then, which is also pretty out-there. Never mind that no one ever said

quote:

Because this is moronic and you're intentionally misrepresenting things. The issue with Abengane's power is that it exorcises an ability and creates a Nen beast. This beast doesn't leave until the conditions for the power's removal are met, or the source of the power dies. Abengane was sought to remove Kurapika's chain from Chrollo's heart, and since that doesn't have a removal condition it's staying around until Kurapika dies. He's not dead, so it's still around now.

Edit: Posted early, whoops.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 10, 2018

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the first point is because they still didnt replace memebers from when pika slid through yorknew on them and the illumi thing is a lot less far fetched because either hisoka got hitched with the guy before or after the chrollo fight and leaves a decent time gap to actually getting on the ship

and you're hinging abengane being in the drat spiders by him still nursing pikas chain nen as a beast, even though all the info we have says this is just impossible, im not even saying my theory isnt wrong but at least theres clear dots that i can connect

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

are we sure illumi isn't hisoka

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

i like this slightly better than illumi starting to pick off spiders because theres no NTR clause in the marriage

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

cuntman.net posted:

hisoka tripped and died offscreen

Ha! I wish.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe Hisoka truly hired Illumi to kill him... but on the side, also prepared a third person to hire illumi to kill other Spiders. No reason there can't be two contracts.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hisoka wants the Spiders all to himself.

It's no fun if somebody else gets them first.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

chrollo responds to hisoka hiring illumi to kill himself by hiring silva and zeno to kill the troupe

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

They keep trying to identify Hisoka by his height, which just makes me think that Hisoka is using Bungee Gum to appear shorter. I wouldn't be surprised if he had cut off his other foot just to replace it with more Bungee Gum and get more powerful.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

That would be really cool.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Togashi drew Bonolenov here a bit... wonky. Those eyes!

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I wonder if someone in the HxH world has made themselves an actual death note

Gets into a high spirited shonen battle and then "you're a talented fighter! What's your name?"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

drjuggalo posted:

what is interesting though is that hisoka married illumi into this death marriage before hisoka fought chrollo?

Why would you think that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wellwinds posted:

I wonder if someone in the HxH world has made themselves an actual death note

Gets into a high spirited shonen battle and then "you're a talented fighter! What's your name?"

Considering chrollos ability has like five conditions something like that could easily have twice as many.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I didn't catch it on the first read, but the Phantom Troupe are really setting themselves up for 1 vs 1 fights against Hisoka, aren't they.

Barring the two members whose abilities are countered by Hisoka, everyone else wants to be the one to kill him themselves, which means most of them are probably going solo for the hunt.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Thinking about it, I love that Hisoka's particular brand of insanity is so well known that Illumi can just show up in the middle of the Phantom Troupe's high-alert death watch for him and be like "Hisoka's my best friend, but also kind of wants to kill me, so he hired me to kill him and that's why I'm joining up with you lot." and no one thinks it's suspicious.

With any other two characters that would sound like an obvous set-up for a double agent, but with Hisoka and Illumi everyone in story and out just accepts it instantly as something they'd do.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Togashi drew Bonolenov here a bit... wonky. Those eyes!

He looks like he's seen some poo poo.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

bono is the first to bite the dust for sure

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, he needs to be able to move freely to do his thing and uh, that's not happening with hisoka.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I am thinking Franklin and Feitan are going to be the first to bite it. Sucks, Feitan is kinda interesting and I like his power-set, but it's a bit too strong for them being on a ship.

RIP Neon :(

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is it confirmed that Neon is dead?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No but it seems to be the most likely answer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
neon was still in the book even when chrollo's nen was sealed, since she was unable to use her nen at that time. if she's out that means either a nen remover helped her or she is dead, and the latter seems vastly more likely.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Stairmaster posted:

That is actually very possible and right up hisokas alley.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Thinking about it, I love that Hisoka's particular brand of insanity is so well known that Illumi can just show up in the middle of the Phantom Troupe's high-alert death watch for him and be like "Hisoka's my best friend, but also kind of wants to kill me, so he hired me to kill him and that's why I'm joining up with you lot." and no one thinks it's suspicious.

With any other two characters that would sound like an obvous set-up for a double agent, but with Hisoka and Illumi everyone in story and out just accepts it instantly as something they'd do.

I mean, has Hisoka ever actually lied outside of combat?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Yes. He lies just to lie, remember?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

neon was still in the book even when chrollo's nen was sealed, since she was unable to use her nen at that time. if she's out that means either a nen remover helped her or she is dead, and the latter seems vastly more likely.

Thing is, a nen remover doesn't make sense since her ability has already been taken from her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

I mean, has Hisoka ever actually lied outside of combat?

Yes, a lot.

yeah, he needs to be able to move freely to do his thing and uh, that's not happening with hisoka.

Yes which is explicitly why he and Shizuku are hanging out with Chrollo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Thing is, a nen remover doesn't make sense since her ability has already been taken from her.

nen theft is a curse. it's not like chrollo physically steals nen. why wouldn't a nen remover of sufficient skill be able to reverse it? it's just that chrollo grabs most of his victims and keeps them alive somewhere, likely to prevent nen removers, suicide, or an enemy wiping out his stock of powers. if not for how things went down in york shin neon would likely have suffered the same fate as the shrinking handkerchief guy.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I really like the Phantom Troupe. It's not in many works of fiction that an underling in a group of criminals can admit a weakness to their boss and get taken under the boss's wing rather than humiliated or retaliated against in some way.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nen theft is a curse. it's not like chrollo physically steals nen. why wouldn't a nen remover of sufficient skill be able to reverse it? it's just that chrollo grabs most of his victims and keeps them alive somewhere, likely to prevent nen removers, suicide, or an enemy wiping out his stock of powers. if not for how things went down in york shin neon would likely have suffered the same fate as the shrinking handkerchief guy.

As far as we know nen theft is not a curse in the same sense that something like what happened to Gon, or nen containing a malicious intent are. And for people like Owl, yes we know that Chrollo basically had the guy locked in a basement. But Neon was with her father immediately after her encounter and there's no reason to assume that wouldn't be the case for other victims as well. Some people can just be left in the wild with their ability stolen as they won't kill themselves, but they probably won't even realize they had their stuff stolen depending on the circumstances.

As for whether or not an exorcist can actually remove the effect, that raises an interesting question about the mechanics of Nen. I would argue that in order to exorcise Chrollo's ability you would have to go to him and not his targets. Otherwise the first thing he would have done is secure Neon as eventually some able bodied person might have just hired someone to remove the effect.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Allow me to go offtopic for once, but I wanted to recommend you a Korean game show, The Genius. Why? Because it's totally the type of tv game show that Togashi would do, full of devious games with wordy complicated rules, with diplomacy, factions, betrayals, twists, lateral thinking, etc. So basically if you are liking the succession war arc, there is a good overlapping here! I have to say it's the first time ever for me to watch an Asian tv show, but it's worth it to 'jump' the cultural barrier.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593386

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpwIgWPfNvc

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 10, 2018

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Turin Turambar posted:

Allow me to go offtopic for once, but I wanted to recommend you a Korean game show, The Genius. Why? Because it's totally the type of tv game show that Togashi would do, full of devious games with wordy complicated rules, with diplomacy, factions, betrayals, twists, lateral thinking, etc. So basically if you are liking the succession war arc, there is a good overlapping here! I have to say it's the first time ever for me to watch an Asian tv show, but it's worth it to 'jump' the cultural barrier.

Yellow for life.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

This suggestion was incredibly spot on. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yellow for life.

Bitches please, Lee Sang-min and Jang Dong-min run train on him.