Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Chemmy posted:

They only need to move your foot a couple inches. Your weight on the relatively frictionless ice vs. a guy with two skate blades dug in.

I don't disagree with you but the way I'm using the RVH, I haven't had anyone be able to push my pads back. I always keep the opposite skate engaged so I'm pushing against the post. All that said, it might be time to switch it up and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yo goalies.

My wife busted her hip last year. Once she's able to skate again, she got clearance to join the LTP class again for free to knock the rust off. Since I used to play with her a few years ago, I thought it would be cool if I played goalie while she did this. I have just about all of the gear already, with access to other goalies getting rid of old gear for the rest.

The LTP class is basically just a class for skaters, with no goalie instruction whatsoever. There's no goalie class at my rink either. What's the best way to actually learn how to play goalie in my 30s instead of just flopping around like an idiot? Stick times at my rink are typically just slappers from the blue line or 90 minutes of shootout challenge, which isn't super helpful.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would say that the LTP classes are great opportunities for goalies looking to learn. Like you said, stick and puck sessions are either a slapshot barrage or everyone wanting to play jimmy dangles and pull your groin out of your body like the heart in Indiana Jones.

I did a hockey 102 class (LTP for people with experience, just rusty) and the goalies in the class were all in the same boat. Either they took time off, were looking for practice, or coming back from an injury. One of them was pretty experienced and just knew the coach so he was getting $50/session to practice.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Most of my goaltending time has been in a LTP type situation, but enough of the younger goaltenders coach it that I (and the other goalie who used to show with some regularity) were getting literal 1-on-1 instruction for 15-25 minutes before the rest of the time in group drills. See my bitching about RVH last page.

With no coach, I'd say start with trying to get the hang of going into the butterfly, shuffles, and t-pushes. You may have to develop a training regimine on your own for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can also nag whoever's running the LTP to invite a goalie "coach." I mean it's going to be some 19 year old kid that probably doesn't really know how to teach, but if they actually play goal they can still offer some insight.

I've seen it happen a few times at some other clinics I've gone to. You really can't bank on anyone actually being there, but if there is, hey free bonus.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Verman posted:

Where do you guys get your team jerseys?

I've got 2 team jerseys through Jog, custom made, fully stitched, they'll do logos and everything, all at very reasonable prices and they show up pretty drat quick too.

https://jogsportswear.com/

Looking at the website, this is literally one of the jerseys I have.

https://jogsportswear.com/hockey/show/type/2/id/22

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yo goalies.

My wife busted her hip last year. Once she's able to skate again, she got clearance to join the LTP class again for free to knock the rust off. Since I used to play with her a few years ago, I thought it would be cool if I played goalie while she did this. I have just about all of the gear already, with access to other goalies getting rid of old gear for the rest.

The LTP class is basically just a class for skaters, with no goalie instruction whatsoever. There's no goalie class at my rink either. What's the best way to actually learn how to play goalie in my 30s instead of just flopping around like an idiot? Stick times at my rink are typically just slappers from the blue line or 90 minutes of shootout challenge, which isn't super helpful.

In my extremely limited experience, if the LTP has more than one coach they'll be happy to have someone help you. My guess is that the first 20 minutes or whatever are warmups/skating drills, so ideally that coach would warm you up with some basic shots.

I always really liked when a goalie showed up, even a bad one. I hate those drat shooter tutors.

That all said, be prepared to be bored as most players struggle to even get anything that might be called a shot off during any actual drills. Usually it seemed like the goalies who showed up spent more time putting on/taking gear off than actually facing any shots.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I agree with all that. I'm self taught in net too and one of the best decisions I made was buying a few goalie lessons from a C Leaguer with beer.

Got a challenging weekend ahead. Game tonight at 10:15PM, followed by gym tomorrow, followed by birthday bash in town Saturday (boy I'm gonna be tanked), then a hangover game at 4:45PM on Sunday.

At least I have tomorrow and Sunday off.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Anybody familiar with the Madison area? I'm gonna be up there next Thursday night and would love to squeeze some open hockey or at least stick and puck (or hell even just public skate I guess) in to my visit. Anything from 7 pm to 11 pm would work

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Anybody familiar with the Madison area? I'm gonna be up there next Thursday night and would love to squeeze some open hockey or at least stick and puck (or hell even just public skate I guess) in to my visit. Anything from 7 pm to 11 pm would work

It looks like the rink at UW-Madison has pick-up games on Wednesdays from 2:30-4 and Sundays 7pm-9pm. You might have to be either a student or from Madison to play, though. So I'd call to find out first.

If you're only there for one Thursday night, it might be tough to find a game anywhere in Madison. It's not a very big city and so I doubt it has that many rinks.

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 9, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I think there are two rinks in Madison proper but I can't imagine there are enough leagues and activities to fill them both. Guess I'm just going to have to skip Thursday night hockey.

E: nevermind y'all looks like there's a rink just north of Madison that has Thursday night open hockey 6:30 - 8:30 for $5. Hell yes.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 9, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for the goalie tips, goalie friends. Will trade beer for lessons (and gear).

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

z0331 posted:

That all said, be prepared to be bored as most players struggle to even get anything that might be called a shot off during any actual drills. Usually it seemed like the goalies who showed up spent more time putting on/taking gear off than actually facing any shots.

My Monday nights are never evers to what you could call solid beer leaguers and, and GOOD GOD this accurate. It's weird, I kinda turn into a backup coach when I have this group shooting at me. Like, I can see what they're trying to do and give them a quick, "look up before you shoot," or "Remember to soften your hands up to catch the puck". More often than not I'm just telling them to relax or telling them to target my five hole or hold on to the puck a bit longer before they try to shoot. I'm usually working on pushes when I've got this group (if the higher skill groups haven't killed me by then).

It's actually had the effect that when they move into the middle skill group and they goof something up they'll ask me what they did wrong. I am watching them the whole time, why not?

I can also see exactly what coaches were talking about when I was skating out more. People need a deeper knee bend.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

4-3 win tonight but poo poo got extremely bush league. One of our dudes got concussed diving for a puck and that started two fights. I felt a lot better skating out this time around but I absolutely blew coverage on the point and caused a goal against. Then somehow lines got hosed up and I wound up playing right D for a shift??? Surprisingly I can skate backwards decently, I guess from having to come out and drift back so much in net.

Short bench meant a lot of ice time, but gently caress my legs are dead.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Played a cross division game with both of my teams tonight.

I scored a beautiful short side goal high inside above his shoulder and just under the crossbar as he was covering the post.

Later in the game I knew my goalie was dead to rights after a shot so I tried to block a shot on empty net with my skate and ended up directing it in.

Then to top things off I took a slapshot to the side of my hand (the part you would karate chop with). Pretty sure something in there is broken. I couldn't grip my stick (top hand) after and was using my bottom hand to stick handle and shoot the rest of the game. It sucked. I can move all my fingers but my pinky hurts to extend. There's a nice lump on the top/side. Doesn't seem to be bruising yet but it's swollen like a son of a bitch.

I hope nothing is broken but it definitely has that "more than sore" feeling.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 9, 2018

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I scored a garbage goal on Wednesday to break my weeks-long scoreless streak but it got called back because the net was off. I'm on the ice 3x/week (2 games, 1 class) but I feel like I've really hit a plateau. I'm not even really sure what I should be working on... ripping shots in my basement maybe? I'm starting a full time remote job in April so I'm hoping I can hit up daytime shinny more often and just do some solo work on the ice. Class is fun but I don't really need generalized instruction aimed at a group of 15 people with wildly different skill levels, I just need reps of the stuff I suck at. How do you guys get over these humps?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

I scored a garbage goal on Wednesday to break my weeks-long scoreless streak but it got called back because the net was off. I'm on the ice 3x/week (2 games, 1 class) but I feel like I've really hit a plateau. I'm not even really sure what I should be working on... ripping shots in my basement maybe? I'm starting a full time remote job in April so I'm hoping I can hit up daytime shinny more often and just do some solo work on the ice. Class is fun but I don't really need generalized instruction aimed at a group of 15 people with wildly different skill levels, I just need reps of the stuff I suck at. How do you guys get over these humps?

Sounds like you might be better at stick and puck and just working on different drills. Ripping shots on your own net never hurts, but also consider working on your stickhandling. If you're on the ice you might as well use that time wisely and work on edge work and acceleration.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Without knowing why you're not scoring it's hard to give suggestions.

Are you not getting shots off? Putting shots off the glass? In the goalie's crest? One and done zone time? Spectator line mates?

Hockey's got too many variables to account for.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

Without knowing why you're not scoring it's hard to give suggestions.

Are you not getting shots off? Putting shots off the glass? In the goalie's crest? One and done zone time? Spectator line mates?

Hockey's got too many variables to account for.

My shots are wobbly and I also tend to miss wide or put it in the goalie's chest. My shot is pretty decent in my basement, or even standing still on the ice, but it just goes to poo poo in a real game situation. I get a few shots off every game if things are going well but they're usually weak and often from low percentage areas. I get beat by the defender a lot in my one league, where I'm one of the weaker players. In my other league I'm one of the better players and probably could score a lot more if my shot was better, but I'm also probably going to try to move up a division in that league so I can play with my wife.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Go to the gym and work on core stabilization. Seriously.

Easy to shoot when you’re not moving and no one is touching you. This never happens in any game.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Despite my best efforts to sit at the outside hashmarks on a powerplay and yell for the puck and sigh heavily when I don’t get it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's better to sit on the goal line by yourself waiting for a sick back door tap in. That way when there's a turnover you don't have to backcheck because you're already out of the play.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Despite my best efforts to sit at the outside hashmarks on a powerplay and yell for the puck and sigh heavily when I don’t get it.

I think you're in the wrong thread for this one.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Me every game.

Especially on the bad team, I feel like I shouldnt play for them anymore because people notice when I deflate when I dont get a pass. Funny cause those same guys dont notice me on the ice when they are as well.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Verdict is in, I broke my hand last night. 5th metacarpal (boxers fracture). Don't take a slapshot from 10 feet away to the outside of your palm.

Seeing an ortho in an hour to see if surgery or anything further is needed. Doc said I might need a screw for it to heal properly and I said just to put it into a cast that will fit in my hockey glove. He laughed at first and then he realized I was serious.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Verman posted:

Verdict is in, I broke my hand last night. 5th metacarpal (boxers fracture). Don't take a slapshot from 10 feet away to the outside of your palm.

Seeing an ortho in an hour to see if surgery or anything further is needed. Doc said I might need a screw for it to heal properly and I said just to put it into a cast that will fit in my hockey glove. He laughed at first and then he realized I was serious.

Oooh that sucks man. Hopefully it all heals correctly and you don't end up with a claw. I lost a fingernail once due to slapshot. Luckily it wasn't my entire hand taking the brunt. I was standing in front of the net looking for a tip and the shot came in waist high from the point. I put my stick up hoping to hit the puck with the shaft but it ran right into my finger and killed my finger nail. Some of the fault falls on me though as it might not have been as bad if I weren't wearing intermediate gloves. I thought I was being fiscally responsible by buying high end gloves at a cheaper price because they were intermediates instead of seniors, plus they fit perfectly. They might have been a little low on padding though, at least as far as them being able to protect against adult man shots hitting them. I went back to senior gloves after that game.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We were playing a game with 2 teams who are mostly all friends. One of the guys on the other team was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and is/was going through chemo and this was his first time he was cleared to skate. We quietly told everyone to take it easy, he still has a chemo port on his chest so avoid collisions/high shots if possible.

He was skating into the zone and we bumped into one another, I was trying to keep him from falling down, my hand was behind him trying to hold him up/brace and his buddy behind him ripped a slapshot that hit me right in the hand so I couldn't even try to avoid the shot etc because I wasn't focused on it. I was mostly pissed that this guy rips a slapshot high right into 2 people, one being his cancer patient teammate.

I'm pretty much out for the playoffs for three teams now but we've got the ball rolling on building my new team so I'm excited about that. I'm going to my game sunday along with the captain who broke his leg a few weeks back so we can commiserate, talk poo poo to our team from the glass, and discuss how terrible we are while getting hammered on bleacher beers. It might even be more fun than actually playing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the lesson is to buy Eagle gloves. I took a slapper off the wrist cuff last year and didn't feel a thing.

(no data points for taking shots to the pinky side so until that happens i'm just going to assume the gloves are perfect)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

Go to the gym and work on core stabilization. Seriously.

Easy to shoot when you’re not moving and no one is touching you. This never happens in any game.

Any specific workouts you can recommend? Is that like the medicine ball against the wall stuff?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I use medicine ball stuff for my burnout when I want to not do sled pushes or when it isn’t a game day and I finish with sliders. But crossfitters and what not use em all the time. So others would be better to ask.

Core stuff is everything. I do planks and pushups but for core id do stuff with a cable like Stiff-Arm Pulldown, Kneeling Pallof Press
Cable Push-Pull, Low-to-High Cable Wood Chop. I forget what not.

Also a lot of animal flow. Between sets hold proper crab position for 45s, walk it back and forth, lean forward and back, etc. put a ball or beanbag on your back to make sure you’re not leaning. you can always find something to make it awful.

I’m not strong enough for proper pull-ups but assisted pull ups (and push ups) all help, too.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

prom candy posted:

Any specific workouts you can recommend? Is that like the medicine ball against the wall stuff?

Yes, that qualifies. Anything that works the muscles between your chest and your thighs is good. Those are the muscles that connect your upper body to your lower body, and in a sport like hockey, where your lower body has a somewhat limited range of traction, having a strong connection between the part of the body that controls the playing element and the part of the body that controls mobility and, incidentally, is working with a low friction surface, is particularly important. One reason I recommend TRX is how much of the core it engages in virtually every exercise, but getting a good core workout isn't hard. Sit-ups, back and side extensions, planks, varieties of twists, ab wheel (highly recommend), and a multitude of other exercises are all easy to do at home.

All of the exercises on this page and under these two headers work some aspect of your core.

Incidentally, that site layout is dated, but I've been using it for well over a decade and it's a pretty good reference database of exercises by part of body or muscle group.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
No surgery! Had the option of a traditional fiberglass cast or thermoformable removable option. I went removable.

Recovery of 6-10 weeks.

I celebrated with fried chicken on the way home from the doctor.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Verman posted:

No surgery! Had the option of a traditional fiberglass cast or thermoformable removable option. I went removable.

Recovery of 6-10 weeks.

I celebrated with fried chicken on the way home from the doctor.

This right here is what adult league hockey is all about.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Verman posted:

thermoformable removable option.

So it's like a skate...for your hand?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks for the workout advice guys, I'm going to try to throw some stuff together for a combo of bodyweight and dumbbell/medicine ball/kettlebell exercises. I already have a pull up bar and plenty of space in my basement so I can put together some 20-30 minute mix of exercises and ripping shots at the mattress I have leaning against the wall.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

prom candy posted:

This has come up a bunch of times in this thread, perhaps worth adding to the OP?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

12oz curls are all you need

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carrying your bag into the rink is all the core strength you need.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
You're not a real beer league player unless you've strained your back pulling your bag out of the car at the rink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

D C posted:

You're not a real beer league player unless you've strained your back pulling your bag out of the car at the rink.

Not empty quoting, but yes.