Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
That's good to hear, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Guys...

After 8 years of saying I would, when we finally had a multi-hour break from my kids my wife and I were trying to figure out what to do with the day...

She got some cute-rear end buttons. I got...

well...

It still needs another session of black and white to be finished, but...

Whoa lol, what zone is that? Also surprisingly cool aesthetically.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

taels posted:

Whoa lol, what zone is that? Also surprisingly cool aesthetically.

It looks like the side profile of a Red Mage from the first Final Fantasy! http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Mage_(Final_Fantasy)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

sailormoon posted:

It looks like the side profile of a Red Mage from the first Final Fantasy! http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Mage_(Final_Fantasy)

Yup, when it's done according to mspaint it should look something like this.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Yup, when it's done according to mspaint it should look something like this.

Oh poo poo. Haven't thought of that in a long time, I got into the series during 7-10 run admittedly though. Looks great

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Would anyone here happen to be kind enough to help me slip through the three mage gate so I can do my Windurst missions? I'm working on the quest chain that'll let me go around the other side, but if someone can save me the effort I'd love you forever.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I haven't played in over a year but I believe that they made key items to open most of those doors that required other players (like the one in Quicksand Caves, too) so you can do them solo. Usually it's a short quest, but worth it since you usually have to go back to those places a few times for future missions anyway.

EDIT: nevermind I saw that you know about the key item quest but wanted to skip it I'm an idiot.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

WarMECH posted:

I haven't played in over a year but I believe that they made key items to open most of those doors that required other players (like the one in Quicksand Caves, too) so you can do them solo. Usually it's a short quest, but worth it since you usually have to go back to those places a few times for future missions anyway.

EDIT: nevermind I saw that you know about the key item quest but wanted to skip it I'm an idiot.

From what I'm seeing for this gate in particular, the key item that lets you open it yourself requires you to finish a mission that requires you to get to the other side of the gate. I'm currently working on a 6-quest chain that will allow me to take an alternate route to go around through a backdoor and get to the other side without opening the gate.

A lot of information for this game is very outdated though, so if there's a newer, simpler way to get around, I'd love it.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Hamsterlady posted:

From what I'm seeing for this gate in particular, the key item that lets you open it yourself requires you to finish a mission that requires you to get to the other side of the gate. I'm currently working on a 6-quest chain that will allow me to take an alternate route to go around through a backdoor and get to the other side without opening the gate.

A lot of information for this game is very outdated though, so if there's a newer, simpler way to get around, I'd love it.

Are you following this guide? http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Written_in_the_Stars It looks like a lot of work but I don't see any requirement for 6 quests prior to it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Ort posted:

Are you following this guide? http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Written_in_the_Stars It looks like a lot of work but I don't see any requirement for 6 quests prior to it.

The only way they mention that doesn't involve opening the gate, unless I'm misreading, is

quote:

If you have started the quest Toraimarai Turmoil, you can enter Toraimarai Canal from Windurst Walls and go behind the gate that way. You will need Sneak the entire route.

Which is at the end of a long quest chain. But it doesn't matter, because I've got a couple friends who agreed to help me open the door, I just gotta level a WHM up to a point where I won't fall over dead the instant an enemy looks at me wrong

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
just buy oils and powders from the moogle if you’re too low to cast sneak invis in yourself as whm

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Ok so today I'll resub and I guess finally leave siren/diabolical. Gotta couple of 99s and some 119 but like I mentioned last time haven't played much since seamers was released. Really regretting that now.

Shame they don't do one big last merge to increase player pops, I'd imagine a lotta people would lose their poo poo and I sub instead though.
Fake edit: are there previous iterations of this thread?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

taels posted:

Fake edit: are there previous iterations of this thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494966
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373626
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3254322
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2496781

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
These limit break quests reeeallllly slow things down. What's the best place to farm dark knight testimony?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Verbose posted:

These limit break quests reeeallllly slow things down. What's the best place to farm dark knight testimony?

Gustav tunnels doom soldiers and doom guards

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I too have resubbed because I hate myself. We should form a subgroup of resub scrubs so we can help each other do not-endgame stuff since no one else seems to want to. poo poo, I have more fun doing lowbie stuff with peeps than I do plodding towards endgame anyway.

I'm Odjenar in game and I probably need a bunch of the same poo poo you do.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Gustav tunnels doom soldiers and doom guards

Aw man I was already there for an hour

I can get why rare mats and stuff have low drop rates but not stuff you need to keep playing the game

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Shout for a thief to help with the drops

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Shout for a thief to help with the drops

I turned off global chat as it was like 99% people complaining about global leftist / jewish conspiracies

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Verbose posted:

I turned off global chat as it was like 99% people complaining about global leftist / jewish conspiracies

Oh, yeah just /blist frod

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Oh, yeah just /blist frod
This is the very first thing I would do.

E: If anyone has a desire to part with actual money for stupid gold, PM me.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 13, 2018

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Guess I might as well ask how I get a link pearl now

Also what's frod

Verbose fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 12, 2018

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Verbose posted:

Guess I might as well ask how I get a link pearl now

Also what's frod

A terrible shitposter.

How important is savage blade on a BLU? I just hit 99 and got all of my sweet spells and 117 gear and was excited to 'get into the game' with other level 99 stuff until I started this quest and it totally took my steam away. I'm just wondering how much I should prioritize it vs other things.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Ort posted:

How important is savage blade on a BLU? I just hit 99 and got all of my sweet spells and 117 gear and was excited to 'get into the game' with other level 99 stuff until I started this quest and it totally took my steam away. I'm just wondering how much I should prioritize it vs other things.

It takes maybe an afternoon to unlock?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
get someone to help you open the altepa gate from inside though because it loving sucks to actually do the thing to open it alone

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Savage Blade is currently quite good for BLU and you'll want it eventually, but realistically you can do the Savage Blade quest casually if its burning you out and it won't be a huge loss. It's not gonna make the game unplayable not having it, especially at 117 ilvl.

Hivac posted:

get someone to help you open the altepa gate from inside though because it loving sucks to actually do the thing to open it alone

Yeah you'll wanna ask a goon or someone to help you here. This part is much worse than the WS points imo.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 13, 2018

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I don't think I've ever felt my soul deflate as much as spending hours slogging through opening the altepa gate all on my own for savage blade, talking about it in LS afterwards, and having several people go "you know you could have gotten someone to open that for you right"

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
You could also use the windower teleport crystal plugin to just warp you there behind the gate too.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Is there an easy way to level dark magic as a DRK

Verbose posted:

Is there an easy way to level dark magic as a DRK

I just casted bio a couple times on every enemy as I leveled up and it kept it close to cap into the 60s, where I ditched the class!

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Dump your sparks for skillup scrolls when you hit 99.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Ort posted:

I just casted bio a couple times on every enemy as I leveled up and it kept it close to cap into the 60s, where I ditched the class!

why did you abandon the class out of curiosity?

I like being a goth elf and I like the idea of being a stun cannon

Verbose posted:

why did you abandon the class out of curiosity?

I like being a goth elf and I like the idea of being a stun cannon

I enjoyed it quite a bit but knew the whole time BLU was made for me. DRK is still high on my list of classes I'd play to cap.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never played this game before but so far I'm playing a rdm and liking it, it's a nice change of pace from wow/ffxiv (the music is also really good). Is the linkshell in the op still active on asura?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone still hosting the update torrent files?

Reinstalling sucksssss

Shinjobi posted:

Anyone still hosting the update torrent files?

Reinstalling sucksssss

I actually used the files and guide from http://tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php on my laptop weekend and it went super fast. Like less than 30 minutes of patching.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I have made the terrifying decision to start playing this again, at least long enough to finish all the story content I never got around to years ago, and even found my original FFXI manual back from when I first purchased the game the month of release that has all my codes written in it, looks like my character is on Asura now so I guess I'm good to go.

Edit: Magilzeal is on world now, would appreciate a LS invite, haven't played since the level cap was 90 looks like.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 15, 2018

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Has anyone here tried the Nasomi private server? https://na.nasomi.com/index.php

Apparently it's the most popular private FFXI server with 500+ online at any time. I installed it and logged in and it's lively by my standards, but I'm kind of confused about where this server is in terms of content. Some ToAU content is available but most of it is not and all the ToAU mobs are level 99 for some reason. I guess you can do ZNMs or something. Also random things like BCNM40 are disabled which seems to gently caress with the economy :shrug: I get the impression that this is some random dude's (Nasomi's) pet project and he probably doesn't let anyone else code it with him.

Not sure if I will play but it certainly feels like CoP-era grindy goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighty
Jun 15, 2005

kaempfer0080 posted:

Has anyone here tried the Nasomi private server? https://na.nasomi.com/index.php

Apparently it's the most popular private FFXI server with 500+ online at any time. I installed it and logged in and it's lively by my standards, but I'm kind of confused about where this server is in terms of content. Some ToAU content is available but most of it is not and all the ToAU mobs are level 99 for some reason. I guess you can do ZNMs or something. Also random things like BCNM40 are disabled which seems to gently caress with the economy :shrug: I get the impression that this is some random dude's (Nasomi's) pet project and he probably doesn't let anyone else code it with him.

Not sure if I will play but it certainly feels like CoP-era grindy goodness.

It's a one man passion project meant to simulate the 'golden age' of pre-ToAU ffxi. The level cap is 75, and its got that old school grind that no one has time for anymore. It was fun to tool around on for a while, but it has its issues.

The grind hasn't aged well, and it tends to attract the worst kind of ffxi player. Also some players discovered a duplication exploit a while back that screwed the economy for a bit, not sure if that's been resolved.

That said, it's surprisingly stable, and has its own mini ffxiah and bazaar search.