Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wish him well wherever he lands but if he runs into a combo of the ACL slowing him down and having something significantly worse than the Kam/Doug/Bobby cloud of doom supporting him then idk. I suspect he's a cerebral enough player that he's never going to be average or bad as long as he's healthy enough to play but I don't know if he's ever going to be a "don't throw to that side unless you're dumb as hell" guy again.

It wasn't his ACL, it was his Achilles, which is a much harder injury to recover from and doesn't have a good history of players returning to form with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Coldforge posted:

How much does this image make your soul die, Seahawks fans?

https://twitter.com/keitherickson12/status/972164342568423424

THis is beyond the pale

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think he’s going to the Pats or the 49ers

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sherman on the cardinals with patrick peterson would be funny but tbh i don't think sherman makes it through another season

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Really, if nothing else it shows the team has a lot of faith in Griffin to step up and be the lockdown corner of the future. That is, uh, a lot more faith in him than I have at this point.

Can't believe how bad going all-in last season backfired on us

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

seiferguy posted:

Worst places I'd want Sherman to land:

1. Patriots
2. Rams
3. 49ers (though kind of funny at the same time)
4. Packers

What if the 49ers sign him, and give him Harbaugh’s old parking space and Crabtree’s old locker?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Bennett traded, Sherman and Lane cut, Kam and Avril rumored to retire, Thomas on the trade block.

Seattle Seahawks and their Legion of Doom.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Coldforge posted:

Bennett traded, Sherman and Lane cut, Kam and Avril rumored to retire, Thomas on the trade block.

Seattle Seahawks and their Legion of Doom.

All of them over the hill, in football years, and eating up not an insignificant amount of cap space. This is the reality of an NFL with limited rosters and a tight salary cap.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
ET's not going anywhere, this is the most obvious contract jousting ever and we deffo have the money.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 9, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Manoueverable posted:

Really, if nothing else it shows the team has a lot of faith in Griffin to step up and be the lockdown corner of the future. That is, uh, a lot more faith in him than I have at this point.

It actually kind of makes sense: the coaching staff knew that the Legion of Boom was in decline and that this was probably the last year they could possibly make a postseason push with this squad.

But yeah, when you throw the dice sometimes it just doesn't work out. Seahawks in full rebuild now, I actually am excited to see what comes of it but I doubt next season will be extremely competitive. Who knows, though

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm kind of alright if Seattle goes full rebuild next season rather than try to drag out a mediocre one. I think it would only be one bad season and 2 drafts would put them in a decent position.

Coldforge posted:

What if the 49ers sign him, and give him Harbaugh’s old parking space and Crabtree’s old locker?

I mean, that would be hilarious but I'd cry a little when he puts the red jersey on.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

seiferguy posted:

I'm kind of alright if Seattle goes full rebuild next season rather than try to drag out a mediocre one. I think it would only be one bad season and 2 drafts would put them in a decent position.

I keep saying it, but talk of the Seahawks being exceptional drafters is wrong, and is based on a couple really lucky years (and probably Scot McCloughan's leftover scouting, like with the 49ers under Baalke).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22700668/where-all-went-wrong-seattle-seahawks-legendary-defense-2018-nfl-offseason

quote:

If the options lurking behind these absent stars seem uninspiring, well, they are. There has been a problem looming for the Seahawks over the past few years, and it's an issue they realistically couldn't have expected to pop up after what might have been one of the best drafts in league history delivered the Seahawks Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner and Wilson with their first three picks in 2012. After building their team around a staggering number of successes in the early and middle rounds of the draft, Schneider and the Seahawks have been floundering in the draft over the past few years.

Even given the fact that the Seahawks have generally been picking toward the end of each round during their remarkable run of success, they should have come away with far more talent from the four drafts after their 2012 masterclass. That's in part due to trades, but the swaps Schneider made didn't pay off, either.

The Seahawks need to acquire talented players on cheap contracts to fill in for that missing generation of draft picks. In the past, those guys needed to play only supplemental roles behind a team loaded with superstars. Now, the rookies and second-year players need to step in and develop immediately.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 9, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Coldforge posted:

I keep saying it, but talk of the Seahawks being exceptional drafters is wrong, and is based on a couple really lucky years (and probably Scot McCloughan's leftover scouting, like with the 49ers under Baalke).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22700668/where-all-went-wrong-seattle-seahawks-legendary-defense-2018-nfl-offseason

I agree they've been awful at drafting for most of their reign outside of the first two years, but:

1. As noted in the article, they traded away their first rounders a bunch for players (which all turned out awful, but that's being awful in different way)
and
2. The 2017 draft looks pretty great. OL Pocic and DL Jones saw significant snaps and looked good (for rookies), RB Carson looked like heir apparent until injuries, and CB Griffin is a young stud.

Hopefully this year looks more like 2017 than the many years before that.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Manoueverable posted:

Yeah, it sure sucks in hindsight.

However there's an alternate dimension where our defense didn't all die to injuries and at least one of the rb's were good+healthy. That definitely seems like a championship quality team.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
oh wow our draft and trade classes didn't look so good while we were perennial SB threats with dudes making money names out of themselves?

This. Is. Shocking.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

1. As noted in the article, they traded away their first rounders a bunch for players (which all turned out awful, but that's being awful in different way)

It's a really slight difference, since they're both departments of scouting. Pro player instead of college player evaluation, but it comes down to the same thing.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

oh wow our draft and trade classes didn't look so good while we were perennial SB threats with dudes making money names out of themselves?

This. Is. Shocking.

You can excuse top of the draft misses when you're picking at the end of the first round, but that's a bit harder to sell when your reputation is based on acquiring talent in the mid rounds.

And has nothing to do with trades, so :shrug:

Please note that I'm not saying they're BAD at drafting, but that they've had an undeserved reputation for being exceptional at it.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 10, 2018

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah, it sure sucks in hindsight.

However there's an alternate dimension where our defense didn't all die to injuries and at least one of the rb's were good+healthy. That definitely seems like a championship quality team.

I'd like to say we would've been a threat but then I think back to about us trotting Ifedi out as a starter every game and then go "mmm yeah never mind"

It really beggars belief how bad he is

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Manoueverable posted:

I'd like to say we would've been a threat but then I think back to about us trotting Ifedi out as a starter every game and then go "mmm yeah never mind"

It really beggars belief how bad he is

Ifedi was a really bad draft pick. Waaay too high for how much development he'd need just to be a good guard.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Coldforge posted:

You can say what you want, and it might even be true, but at the end of the day the 49ers still cut Kaep

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Man. I'm kinda misty. I'll miss that guy. Thanks for the memories, #25. It's been fun as hell.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

dont even fink about it posted:

You can say what you want, and it might even be true, but at the end of the day the 49ers still cut Kaep

Look at you, being technically wrong.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Coldforge posted:

It's a really slight difference, since they're both departments of scouting. Pro player instead of college player evaluation, but it comes down to the same thing.

You can excuse top of the draft misses when you're picking at the end of the first round, but that's a bit harder to sell when your reputation is based on acquiring talent in the mid rounds.

And has nothing to do with trades, so :shrug:

Please note that I'm not saying they're BAD at drafting, but that they've had an undeserved reputation for being exceptional at it.

Yeah I'm in agreement with most of this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Look at you, being technically wrong.

Yeah Kaep asked to be released from his contract, and the niners complied. They didn't cut him.

Also I wonder if somehow the Rams could acquire Crabtree, so he and Aquib Talib could be on the same team. Then get Sherman on there too. Just put all these guys who despise each other onto the same team, and have it be a genuinely good and contending team so there's really big consequences if they can't swallow their giant infant egos and be adults.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

dont even fink about it posted:

lmao I too know jack poo poo about what went down with the 49ers and Kaepernick

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah Kaep asked to be released from his contract, and the niners complied. They didn't cut him.

Also I wonder if somehow the Rams could acquire Crabtree, so he and Aquib Talib could be on the same team. Then get Sherman on there too. Just put all these guys who despise each other onto the same team, and have it be a genuinely good and contending team so there's really big consequences if they can't swallow their giant infant egos and be adults.

Then put it all on PPV - Hard Knocks: After Training Camp

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Coldforge posted:

Hell, I'll go out and say that they are kind of bad at drafting if this year doesn't yield good players.

Except for DB's and late round RB's*. For some reason they hit way above league average.

*Who are injured all the time.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
http://m.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-McQuaide-Agree-to-Terms-on-Three-Year-Deal/ad4f75e1-6564-4633-a627-c1e33987cc27

Rams sign their long snapper to a 3 year deal

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

And that was the last remaining missing piece. Print the shirts!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Dunno if that's all people who despise each other, or Crabtree and some dudes who have repeatedly owned him.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coldforge posted:

And that was the last remaining missing piece. Print the shirts!

Jake McQuaide owns, keep his name out of your whore mouth

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

DariusLikewise posted:

It was never said from my mouth; it's printed on my shirt. Did you not read my post? Try to keep up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Leperflesh posted:

Turns out the mistake was not putting Smith back in when he recovered.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah this guy is the absolute cream of the crop in terms of long snappers. Just miles ahead of everyone else. Such crisp delivery. Such beautiful haunches

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mllaneza posted:

Turns out the mistake was not putting Smith back in when he recovered.

1) Alex Smith would've won the Harbowl. I'm on record as saying this during the GDT.

2) Sign Richard Sherman for a year or two, Niners. Just do it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My wife loving hates Richard Sherman and I almost died laughing when I told her the Niners are literally the favorites to sign him

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

quote:

According to somebody who was at the restaurant, Shanahan dined with Sherman and his wife at Nick's Next Door restaurant in Los Gatos tonight. It seems the courting may have already begun.
https://theathletic.com/268199/2018/03/10/thompson-49ers-courting-richard-sherman-looks-like-it-and-they-should-be/ (sub required)

It has begun.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spoeank posted:

lmao I too know jack poo poo about what went down with the 49ers and Kaepernick

I mean you can pretend they would've kept Kaep, sure

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Does this mean that Seahawks fans are going to start complaining about Sherman being a dirty player and loudmouth with the responses being "You'd be defending him if he were on your team!"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

You can pretend that had anything to do with him kneeling and that their animosity went further back than that.

Management wanted him to be a pocket passer when he wasn't, management fired his head coach who had his back at every turn because he was mean to the owner, management soured their relationship.

All before a single knee was taken. Ya dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spoeank posted:

You can pretend that had anything to do with him kneeling and that their animosity went further back than that.

Management wanted him to be a pocket passer when he wasn't, management fired his head coach who had his back at every turn because he was mean to the owner, management soured their relationship.

All before a single knee was taken. Ya dope.

That's all true, but I said nothing about knees

After you crunch the numbers (thanks someone upthread), it was an objectively terrible decision to cut him (which is what they de facto did)

• Locked thread