Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Or if you wait too long to shaft and drop three floors right into a group of reds with 30% health.

The real pro strat is to walk up a flight of stairs or two and then shaft yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

World Famous W posted:

Fight everything at all times

Tired: walking away from D:2 Sigmund

Wired: chug unknown potions in melee range of D:2 Sigmund

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the batman conduct: can't kill named characters

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Tollymain posted:

the batman conduct: can't kill named characters

go AK and banish them

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Patashu posted:

go AK and banish them

Then meet them again in Arkham Abyss. :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah thats some other comics book character, who throws their villains into another dimension. cant remember which tho

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I always go after uniques, if not the instant I see them I don't move on, my next goal becomes taking them out. Otherwise did you really win? Are you going to victory march back through Tesla on the way out with the orb?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Half of Dracula posted:

Are you going to victory march back through Tesla on the way out with the orb?
Yes.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

The correct play.

Bonus points for detouring to greet Mara on the way.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Mara should clone you with the Orb effect and cause the generated panlords to chase the clone instead

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Mara should clone THE ORB and then race to the D:1 staircase to win the game instead of you.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Related to the current discussion, two uniques have special dialogue only when you're on the orb run - Crazy Yiuf and Donald.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Patashu posted:

Related to the current discussion, two uniques have special dialogue only when you're on the orb run - Crazy Yiuf and Donald.

What do they say? I know yiuf says things when you hit him w mephitic cloud

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

I am Otis posted:

What do they say? I know yiuf says things when you hit him w mephitic cloud

orb Crazy Yiuf

@The_monster@ says, "Wait for me!"

@The_monster@ says, "You found it!"

@The_monster@ says, "Get me out of this place."

@The_monster@ says, "You came back for me."

orb Donald

w:25
@_generic_Donald_@

@The_monster@ says, "Thanks for carrying the Orb of Power for me."

@The_monster@ says, "Isn't that thing heavy? I could take a turn."

@The_monster@ says, "Aren't you worried about radiation? You should put that down."

@The_monster@ says, "What are you going to do with that Orb?"

@The_monster@ says, "Don't you think the Orb of Power was down there for a reason?"

@The_monster@ says, "I heard that the world ends if you bring it to the surface."

@The_monster@ says, "Someone is going to come looking for that Orb."

@The_monster@ says, "Are you sure that's the real Orb, and not some cheap imitation?"

@The_monster@ says, "You have the Orb. Was it worth it?"

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Lol thats great.

E; FR cus gammafunk talks about it a lot in his streams:

Let people shoot through Zin's Prison with ranged weapons, so the original vision of Formicids of Zin with Crossbows can be realised.

E2; Also large rocks

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 9, 2018

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

"you came back for me" yikes, poor guy

have a firestorm

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fr: if you have the orb and encounter yiuf he becomes friendly and follows you

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Seconded

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I would not kill yuif for his cloak every time just for that possibilty.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
My heart will break as I lead my insane gnoll buddy just for him to be murdered by a pan lord on d1 just as we're about to descended.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

I didn't realize I want this, but I do

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm all for making the orb run silly and thematic in ways that I'd never approve of in the regular games. Maybe every unique joins your posse as you leave together, cowed by your glory.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That would probably be the most fun option, and what's funny about it is that it would incentivize goons to actually play smartly and not try to kill every unique

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

goons play smartly

what

e: on this topic I had a good gnoll warper going as my first hellcrawl run yesterday until I tried to fight grinder and prince ribbit at once

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

:emptyquote:

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.
Here are some ideas I had for gooncrawl, they aren't necessarily the best but I hate seeing these two species not being used at all.

Naga: Remove Slow. Remove Shield Bonus. Invocations aptitude set to -2. Cannot worship good gods. Holy brand weapons don't affect Naga.

The idea for the Naga here is that they have some kind of dark past that the good gods cannot forgive the species for since they all benefited but they aren't demons or undead so holy brand weapons aren't effective.

Demigod: Demigods worship themselves as their religion. They only gain piety from killing Uniques (10-15 piety per unique or so). Piety doesn't decrease over time at all. Invocations aptitude set to -2. Cannot use Necromutation.
-: Nothing.
*: +2 EV per level of piety. (Maybe +2 for odd piety levels and +1 for even piety levels? If 12 EV is too much.)
**: Smiting. (No piety cost, just hunger and mana.)
***: Increased sight, increases further as piety grows but without becoming easier to detect, unlike Barachi. See invisible.
****: Clarity and no confuse effect for Potions of Ambrosia. rNeg+ if that's not enough for this piety level.
*****: Nothing.
******: Manipulate Creatia. (Works like either a Scroll of Acquirement, or a full heal that removes all status effects. The player chooses which of these two effects the Invocation does. This uses up a massive amount of piety, enough to put the Demigod back in early **** piety or even *** piety, and the spell costs a significant amount of hunger.)

We remember the demigods heroic actions when they went up against great threats not the minor annoyances. Heracles is renowned for killing the Nemean Lion, not when he cleared out a group of satyrs that were harassing a village. The abilities themselves are based around the demigod developing into their divine powers, a presence that makes it harder to hit them, greater than mortal perceptions, drinking ambrosia without the problems mortals have with it, and finally the ability to create, though it exhausts much of their divine powers to do so.

Also increase the size of the inventory.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nagas see a pretty good amount of use far as i know

demigods aren't v popular though because they're sort of boring. people have suggested the self-religion stuff before but nobody's put forward something compelling/simple/open-ended enough

i don't know if the vision thing can actually be done with the way crawl's coded, but i really like the ambrosia idea (and id be game for clarity being a demigod innate at like, xl14 or something)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

That would probably be the most fun option, and what's funny about it is that it would incentivize goons to actually play smartly and not try to kill every unique

You can have my drunken haphazard aggresive play when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tollymain posted:

demigods aren't v popular though because they're sort of boring. people have suggested the self-religion stuff before but nobody's put forward something compelling/simple/open-ended enough

why not make them like Draconians in which they realize some sort of aspect of themselves and then play accordingly

You realize your necromantic heritage! (Shittier Kiku)

You realize your warmongering heritage! (Shitter Oka)

you know, poo poo like that

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
My demigod idea: Heretical Usurpation

You can convert at any altar, destroying in in the process, forcing a level of piety (Some arbitrary piety level? Max level? Linearly-scaled-with-your-current-level level?), unable to lose (or gain) piety with the god, but the god will be pissed and constantly, endlessly Wrath you until you gently caress off from his religion (might have innate some ability to do it without converting to another, also Wrath might linger for a while, or maybe not?). If permawrath is too harsh you could get some toned down version or other stuff to help you deal with it. Stuff that should consume a major piety loss but cannot will instead trigger particularly intense bouts of wrath.

It'd probably take a lot of work and there's a lot of weird corner cases, but I dunno, I like the idea of loving with the gods.

Teal fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 10, 2018

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Teal posted:

My demigod idea: Heretical Usurpation

You can convert at any altar, destroying in in the process, forcing a level of piety (Some arbitrary piety level? Max level? Linearly-scaled-with-your-current-level level?), unable to lose (or gain) piety with the god, but the god will be pissed and constantly, endlessly Wrath you until you gently caress off from his religion (might have innate some ability to do it without converting to another, also Wrath might linger for a while, or maybe not?). If permawrath is too harsh you could get some toned down version or other stuff to help you deal with it. Stuff that should consume a major piety loss but cannot will instead trigger particularly intense bouts of wrath.

It'd probably take a lot of work and there's a lot of weird corner cases, but I dunno, I like the idea of loving with the gods.

I'd tweak this into self-worship that you can grow by desecrating altars and dealing with mini-god wraths. Maybe you even get weaker versions of normal abilities based on which altar(s) you break.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Making demigods into something else to make them more interesting will fix the issue sure, but then they're no longer demigods. Their entire point is "No religion, now here have some stats and hp/mp". This would be FINE except for some goddamn reason nobody wants to give them less than -10 in all apts with -99% xp growth. They don't need weird complex mechanics, they need to stop being hit with the nerf bat already.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Serephina posted:

Making demigods into something else to make them more interesting will fix the issue sure, but then they're no longer demigods. Their entire point is "No religion, now here have some stats and hp/mp". This would be FINE except for some goddamn reason nobody wants to give them less than -10 in all apts with -99% xp growth. They don't need weird complex mechanics, they need to stop being hit with the nerf bat already.
Christ, you're right, the Demigod apts are awful. Can they just have human apts? Please?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that would probably be the easiest thing

they should be able to drink ambrosia without confusion tho thats just too thematic

my roommate posted:

why can't formicids get 3 offhand punches instead of 1

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Are -1s across the board with a few -2s really that crushing compared to the loss of religion? I don't avoid Demigods because they've got mediocre aptitudes, I avoid Demigods because without a religion there's absolutely nothing interesting to do in the game. Half the fun is getting some crazy divine powers so you can do stuff like smite an entire horde of demons by yelling at them or oneshot uniques with the power of dance. The other half is using your particular race's gimmicks and working around their weaknesses. Demigods don't really get either.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Are -1s across the board with a few -2s really that crushing compared to the loss of religion?

they don't help! honestly, give demigods +1s

that way you can at least feel sort of cool about being really good at life

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Are -1s across the board with a few -2s really that crushing compared to the loss of religion? I don't avoid Demigods because they've got mediocre aptitudes, I avoid Demigods because without a religion there's absolutely nothing interesting to do in the game. Half the fun is getting some crazy divine powers so you can do stuff like smite an entire horde of demons by yelling at them or oneshot uniques with the power of dance. The other half is using your particular race's gimmicks and working around their weaknesses. Demigods don't really get either.
Exactly. So why do they even need such a pointless and aggravating nerf?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think its largely legacy bullshit from when gods were a little weaker and a lot jankier

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i think it would be cool if they had their own set of mutations mirroring those of the demonspawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
demons arent the opposite of gods

im p sure at least one god is described as a demon or demonic even

• Locked thread