Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NecroMonster posted:

Stand to the right or left of nerg, next to his front legs, and hit him in the spikes, unless the spikes are black, if the spikes are black get under him and hit him in the chest. His wing charges, wing buffet, and half circle claw swipe (the one that causes the tremor) are the only things that can hit you when you are standing there, but the half circle claw swipe seems to be the only one he'll actually choose to do if you are standing in the right place.

he's so big and jumpy that half the time I don't even know where I'm standing :shepface:

entire screen covered in spikes and screaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Xarbala posted:

It's nice having a non-aggressive elder who wanders around, shedding staticy fur all over the place.

All of the elders aside from Nerg are non-aggressive. Nerg is the best for investigations though because he walks back and forth in a small area and you can just pop in every few minutes and pick up a grip of tracks. He's the shortest fight as well, so you can finish the investigation afterwards pretty easily.

Astroniomix posted:

You should post your builds when you get back.

Let's look at the Diablos Clubs II. There's a couple things that inform this build. First, I don't have any Attack decorations. If you did, you could make some slight optimizations to the build (which would make it even more competitive with a Handicraft build). I do have some pretty rare decorations in the build, including two Critical Boost decorations and a Marathon Runner decoration, although you could modify it to be strong without them. This also isn't the build I usually run with, but the build that I have done some speed run testing with. I'll post my usual build after, although it is much less optimal in terms of damage (it's a fashion build since I generally fashion hunt).

-Weapon: Diablos Clubs II - Slot: Tenderizer Jewel 2 - Augment 1: Affinity Increase - Augment 2: Defense Increase (for a proper speed run build you would use Attack Increase)
-Head: Dragonking Eyepatch Alpha - Slot: Sprinter Jewel 2
-Chest: Dober Mail Beta - Slot: Elementless Jewel 2
-Hands: Diablos Nero Braces Beta - Slot 1: Critical Jewel 2 - Slot 2: Crisis Jewel 1
-Waist: Diablos Coil Beta - Slot: Critical Jewel 2
-Legs: Dober Greaves Alpha
-Charm: Attack Charm III
-Equipment 1: Evasion Mantle
-Equipment 2: Affinity Booster

This gives you Diablos Mastery 2 (Bludgeoner), Attack Boost 7, Weakness Exploit 3, Marathon Runner 3, Critical Boost 2, Focus 1, Resuscitate 1, Stamina Surge 1, and Non-elemental Boost. The build has enough damage that you will never need to sharpen on a single monster fight provided you are doing even a mediocre job of hitting weak zones. That means you can attack for the entirety of the hunt, which should take place in a single zone provided you are on top of things. The build is sacrificing some damage in order to obtain Marathon Runner 3, which I find to be a large QoL and damage boost for Dual Blades, given the increase it gives you to Demon Mode uptime.

If you wanted to run an optimized Handicraft build with the same weapon, it would probably look something like this:

-Weapon: Diablos Clubs II - Slot: Attack Jewel 1
-Head: Dragonking Eyepatch Alpha - Slot: Sprinter Jewel 2
-Chest: Dober Mail Beta - Slot: Elementless Jewel 2
-Hands: Kaiser Vambraces Beta - Slot 1: Critical Jewel 2
-Waist: Diablos Coil Beta - Slot: Critical Jewel 2
-Legs: Death Stench Heel Beta - Slot 1: Grinder Jewel 1 - Slot 2: Grinder Jewel 1
-Charm: Handicraft Charm III
-Equipment 1: Evasion Mantle
-Equipment 2: Affinity Booster

This build would drop you down to Attack 3, lose the points in Stamina Surge and Focus, and lose Resuscitate in order to gain Handicraft 5, and Speed Sharpening 2. If you had a third Critical Jewel 3 you could instead do Attack 2 and Crit Boost 3. You have (iirc) 20 hits of white on this build, meaning that you would probably (and this is very unscientific guesstimation here) have to sharpen four or five times during a typical elder fight in order to maintain white throughout.

Now for a damage comparison. I'll use the first double-hit of the Demon Dance as a comparison, and assume a crit on the training mode pillar. No Evasion Mantle (because I'm lazy) active. Because of the decos available to me, I will assume Attack Boost 3, Crit Boost 2 for the second build.

Bludgeoner Build:
-64x2 in Blue Sharpness
-59x2 in Green Sharpness

Handicraft Build:
-67x2 in White Sharpness
-61x2 in Blue Sharpness

As you can see, the Handicraft build does about 3%-5% more damage comparing Blue to White and Green to Blue, or 12% if we compare Green (Bludgeoner) to White (Handicraft). The Bludgeoner build has slightly more blue than the Handicraft has white (~10-15 more hits or thereabouts) but you won't be sharpening with it, so a direct percentage comparison over the course of a whole fight is difficult. Bludgeoner build also has 5% more affinity but that's a pretty minor advantage, especially since with Affinity Booster active you have 100% affinity on weak points just from Weakness Exploit.

Ultimately the tradeoff between the two builds is a few marginal skills (Focus 1, Stamina Surge 1, Resuscitate) and "infinite" sharpness for (let's be generous) 10% more damage over the course of the fight. Is 10% more damage worth having to sharpen four or five times in a fight? Maybe, maybe not. But it's pretty drat close, you have to admit. Again, this is an unscientific look at it, but I feel my assumptions are fair. My point is that Bludgeoner offers enough to be a compelling choice.

This whole comparison took longer than I expected since I went in and tested some of it myself, so I'll just poop out the build I've been using (which gets me very comfortable kill times on tempered Nerg) without much commentary. Keep in mind this is not an optimized damage build and will not be competitive vs one (although it does just fine on the damage front overall). It's just a build that I think looks cool and works well.

-Weapon: Diablos Clubs II - Slot: Elementless Jewel 2 - Augment 1: Affinity Increase - Augment 2: Defense Increase
-Head: Xeno'jiiva Headgear Beta - Slot: Sprinter Jewel 2
-Chest: Diablos Mail Beta - Slot: Tenderizer Jewel 2
-Hands: Xeno'jiiva Claws Beta - Slot: Tenderizer Jewel 2
-Waist: Diablos Coil Beta - Slot: Tenderizer Jewel 2
-Feet: Xeno'jiiva Spurs Beta - Slot 1: Attack Jewel 1 - Slot 2: Crisis Jewel 1
-Charm: Attack Charm III
-Equipment 1: Impact Mantle
-Equipment 2: Evasion Mantle

Skills: Xeno'jiiva Divinity 3 (Razor Sharp), Diablos Mastery 2 (Bludgeoner), Attack Boost 4, Weakness Exploit 3, Marathon Runner 3, Flinch Free 3, Slugger 2, Non-elemental Boost.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 10, 2018

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I would look into diversifying more of your skills than going all-in on Attack 7, those points would be better spent elsewhere. Also ditch Crit Eye, it's nowhere near enough of a DPS boost to warrant slotting that in over something like Agitator. Like, here's a sample build I put together really quick: Dragonking, Dober, Nerg, Diablos, Nerg. With the free attack gem and an Intimidator Charm, you get Attack Boost 4, Agitator 5, Weakness Exploit 2, Marathon Runner 2, and Maximim Might 1.
Agitator would get you more affinity than Crit Eye 3 in addition to 20 damage, while you're still able to get the 5% affinity off of Attack Boost.

Thanks, I like Agitator, it seems to be a lot more useful than Latent Power or Crit Eye. Latent Power takes forever to get going. I guess I had "enraged" in my head as something that monsters do late in the fight like in Warcraft.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Araganzar posted:

Thanks, I like Agitator, it seems to be a lot more useful than Latent Power or Crit Eye. Latent Power takes forever to get going. I guess I had "enraged" in my head as something that monsters do late in the fight like in Warcraft.

Agitator is a very cool skill in a couple ways. First, it is a strong offensive skill that is active frequently (end-game monsters can spend 60-70% of a fight enraged if you are killing them fast enough). Second, it has no break points and no benefit progression. A large portion of the skills in the game give you extra bonuses at certain break points (Attack Boost 4 getting a bonus 5% affinity for example) or get progressively stronger bonuses (Weakness Exploit giving 15% affinity per point for the first two points and 20% for the final point). Agitator is the same bonus at every level: 4 attack and 3% affinity. That means you don't have to worry about how many points you have. Just have Agitator 1? Great! That's just as efficient (in terms of slots/skill points) as Agitator 5. It's basically a "seasoning" armor skill. You probably won't build around it, but any amount that you have is useful.

Crit Eye on the other hand is probably the weakest offensive skill overall. It makes up for that by having some strong synergy with crit builds (Critical Element builds, Teostra 3 piece builds, etc) and by being really "cheap". The decorations only take one slot and are a tier of rarity lower than Attack Boost Jewels so they are much easier to get. You can throw 3-4 points of Crit Eye onto almost any build once you've gotten a few decos and it's never a terrible idea, just rarely the best idea.

Latent Power is a weird one. It activates based on a timer but can also activate based on damage taken. It's very strong when active, but since part of it is a stamina buff, it's not as useful with all weapons. One of these days I'm going to make a Latent Power tank build but I don't have any decorations for it yet so that day is far off. I expect that it will be more gimmicky than anything but who knows. There is some funky stuff with how it activates, it may be on "pre-mitigation" damage, which would make it very good with guard builds, but I haven't confirmed that personally.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kobogartimer posted:

I had an epiphany and brought a weapon with fire damage to my Lavasioth hunt. That mushy bastard didn't know what the gently caress.

Uragaan weapons are perfect for this. High raw with just a bit of fire.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Your Palico converting monsters into allies and then having those monsters nonchalantly murder their families in a bid to keep you from murdering them first is all kinds of messed up

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Just for fun I started a tempered Vaal investigation with a gear set that had fortify on it. I killed myself twice in the acid for the buff, switched to my Vaal gear and got my food/buffs and wouldn't you know it shaved 2-3 minutes off my usual time. Also made it even more laughably trivial than normal. Of course it ruins your cash reward but who cares.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think I "get" regular Lances. I actually ran out of time for the first time... like ever... trying to kill regular Rathalos with a Blacksteel Lance, which he's supposedly weak against.

I wasn't taking any damage but was not doing much damage either.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I don't think I "get" regular Lances. I actually ran out of time for the first time... like ever... trying to kill regular Rathalos with a Blacksteel Lance, which he's supposedly weak against.

Were you mostly shield-poking?

I'm no lance expert but my biggest tip is to learn to use and abuse the counters. The new power counter is ridiculous and allows you to aim your counter hit too, so you can just keep relentlessly attacking the weak spots. Just stand right in their face and stab them, whenever they attack you smash that like button counter and get back to stabbing. There's no excuse to stop stabbing ever :black101:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I was fighting a tempered Kushala on Elder's Recess. She dropped a tornado in a tiny little choke point. Moved to the area beyond it and, not knowing any better because a tornado had never damaged me in a dozen plus runs, I moved through it, got stuck half way, stunlocked and died, failing the mission.

:negative:

Yeah Kushalas mechanics make those 15 minute temper quests a coinflip. Sometimes she will just spam tornados and camp in them, or place one in a narrow area and flee making you have to go around wasting a bunch of time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

Proudly honoring the age old goon tradition of stupid hills to die on.

And it's still not as stupid as the reddit threads which end in 200+ comments screaming matches over attack or affinity aug. I don't think people actually realize how little difference a single augment or skill makes.

depends on what the skill is, the difference between full evasion+ and not having it at all is night and day on some weapons--the cheeky poo poo you can do with that skill is incredible.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gotta ask, is Kushala a case of "only girls" or do people just say she because they like that more?

I remember when I first got into the series and called Rathian a guy and got laughed at so don't want that to repeat :v:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

precision posted:

I think you need to be constantly hitting weak points with Weakness Exploit to really do damage with the lances.

All the thrusts can cancel into the counter so use that instead of blocking while you're attacking. You can cancel into a dash/hop to reposition.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

precision posted:

is the blacksteel lance actually any good? On every other weapon I've seen the blacksteel weapons are garbo that only exists to be upgraded into better stuff.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
For super-amped element discharge do you have to charge both your sword and shield for the full damage effect? I've seen footage of people doing SAEDs with just the shield charged up. I've always been getting both sword and shield charged up before doing so.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Digirat posted:

is the blacksteel lance actually any good? On every other weapon I've seen the blacksteel weapons are garbo that only exists to be upgraded into better stuff.

Ore/bone weapons generally exist to give you easy paths to current gear strength if you wanna try a new type of weapon. Some of them can have pretty potent element/status unlocks as well, like the bone sns having 300 paralyze.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Those aren't blacksteel

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Blacksteel stuff is made with just ore though, other than the Wyvern Gem.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

For super-amped element discharge do you have to charge both your sword and shield for the full damage effect? I've seen footage of people doing SAEDs with just the shield charged up. I've always been getting both sword and shield charged up before doing so.

Just the shield. Shield charge gives you access to the SAED and increases your axe damage by...20% or something like that. Also gives you better blocking/guard pointing plus a phial explosion on guard point. Sword charge gives you mind's eye, causes a mini phial explosion on every sword hit, and prevents overcharge bouncing (so you can stay in sword mode indefinitely as long as it's charged and you don't have to charge phials). Don't think sword charge actually boosts sword mode damage aside from the phial explosions, but I'd have to check.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Nice one, thanks for the clarification.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Digirat posted:

depends on what the skill is, the difference between full evasion+ and not having it at all is night and day on some weapons--the cheeky poo poo you can do with that skill is incredible.

Should have been more specific, attack boosting skills that are not weakness exploit :haw:

I'm a big fan of "support" skills being worth more damage over time than many +damage skills due to increased uptime on smashing things in the face theory.

I also love health reg aug on weapons with more than 1 slot. If it let's me keep hitting instead of healing once, it's probably more damage than atk/aff.

But this community is one of the most autistic I have ever seen and only raw numbers matter :(

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gotta ask, is Kushala a case of "only girls" or do people just say she because they like that more?

I remember when I first got into the series and called Rathian a guy and got laughed at so don't want that to repeat :v:

The vast majority of monsters don't have an explicit gender. Afaik it's just the Raths and Seltas Queen that do.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

AttackBacon posted:

Just the shield. Shield charge gives you access to the SAED and increases your axe damage by...20% or something like that. Also gives you better blocking/guard pointing plus a phial explosion on guard point. Sword charge gives you mind's eye, causes a mini phial explosion on every sword hit, and prevents overcharge bouncing (so you can stay in sword mode indefinitely as long as it's charged and you don't have to charge phials). Don't think sword charge actually boosts sword mode damage aside from the phial explosions, but I'd have to check.

According to this old Reddit post, charged sword doesn't add anything to axe damage, including SAEDs. It adds a small bit of phial damage in sword mode as you said. The condensed slash to charge the sword has very good damage though, which is why I bother doing it now.

Health Boost 3 seems really powerful. I switched to it while doing 6 and 7* quests and the survivability increase is great. There's a good Reddit post showing the reason why.

Nergigante was not hard even the first time I fought it solo. I kept waiting for the mega dive attack and then realized I'd been hit by a couple and had just kept on trucking since it didn't even do half my health bar. This is at a defense of 336 in my ugly, low-rarity clown suit at HR13. But every point in defense improves the value of that HP bar linearly so adding 100 HP from food and skills is a large boost to survivability.

I was using Divine Blessing 3, but am going to drop that once I wrap up all these elders and can actually plan a decent CB set with HB3 in it. If Divine Blessing procs 30% of the time as it supposedly did in the old games, that is still .3 * .5 = 15% more average damage reduction. Increasing DR is harder once your defense is high, but you have no control over when DB kicks in. Nice if it halves the big attacks, but not so useful if it doesn't. HB3 is a better choice for my play style - I hope there're some non ugly sets I can build with it and the CB skills.

Edit: Your posts pushing alternate skill usage and play styles are very useful to me as a new player.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 10, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zerilan posted:

The vast majority of monsters don't have an explicit gender. Afaik it's just the Raths and Seltas Queen that do.

Black Diablos is noted as being a female Diablos in heat.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The only time I've ever heard anyone call Kushala "she" is sitting on this forum when World came out, and I've been playing since the first PS2 game, so I have no idea why people do that.

Honestly, though, any monster that's not Teostra, a Rath, Seltas, or Black Diablos is going to go either way. Teostra has a female counterpart in Lunastra, so it's another case of sexual dimorphism, but all the other elder dragons could be either.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

v1ld posted:

Health Boost 3 seems really powerful. I switched to it while doing 6 and 7* quests and the survivability increase is great. There's a good Reddit post showing the reason why.

Nergigante was not hard even the first time I fought it solo. I kept waiting for the mega dive attack and then realized I'd been hit by a couple and had just kept on trucking since it didn't even do half my health bar. This is at a defense of 336 in my ugly, low-rarity clown suit at HR13. But every point in defense improves the value of that HP bar linearly so adding 100 HP from food and skills is a large boost to survivability.

I was using Divine Blessing 3, but am going to drop that once I wrap up all these elders and can actually plan a decent CB set with HB3 in it. If Divine Blessing procs 30% of the time as it supposedly did in the old games, that is still .3 * .5 = 15% more average damage reduction. Increasing DR is harder once your defense is high, but you have no control over when DB kicks in. Nice if it halves the big attacks, but not so useful if it doesn't. HB3 is a better choice for my play style - I hope there're some non ugly sets I can build with it and the CB skills.

Edit: Your posts pushing alternate skill usage and play styles are very useful to me as a new player.

Health Boost is a really solid skill, it's definitely a good way to go. You've hit the nail on the head in terms of the trade offs vs Divine Blessing. One extra thing to note later on is specific skill synergies. For instance, I would run Health Boost on a Heroics or Resentment build, whereas for a Peak Performance build, Divine Blessing has more value. I always harp on it, but I also value the various elemental resists pretty highly, if that resist will factor heavily into a fight. For instance, against Bazel or Lavasioth, I'm always going to take Fire Res 3 over Health Boost or Divine Blessing, because their threatening attacks are Fire element and the blight is dangerous. Whereas vs Rathalos or Rathian, I'm gonna lean towards Health Boost or Divine Blessing, because while they do have fire attacks, they are pretty trivial to avoid.

I'm glad that my posts are helpful, I imagine I can go a bit overboard sometimes but I really do enjoy this game and I like seeing others enjoy it as well. It's not perfect, no game is, but I think there's a ton of fun to be had if you approach the game with an open mind. I feel like people get stuck in certain mindsets about "the right way to play" (I'm sure I do sometimes as well) and it prevents them from just enjoying the fun that is there. That's a big part of why I try to advocate for underutilized skills and builds.

I know part of the issue is that it's just a fiendishly complicated game, especially if you want to dig into the mechanics, so that's where I try to help out a bit. One thing that I do try to communicate is that everything that is in the game is there for a reason. I honestly believe there aren't any truly useless skills or weapons in World. Some things are certainly more effective than others, but the Monster Hunter devs have gotten really good at carving out a niche for almost everything. That's how I try to think about weapons or skills, trying to figure out the best use for something is a lot of fun.

Let's take a random weapon as an example, say...the Radobaan Hammer. On the face of it, it's pretty useless right? Caps at blue sharpness, mediocre raw, no slots. But what is good about it? It has a 20 Def bonus, that's nice for a hammer since you have no innate defensive mechanic. Then it's got Sleep, which you'd think is pretty meh for a Hammer right? Well, there's some cool stuff we can do with that. We can get pretty quick sleeps off if we use the Apothecary Mantle and focus on the faster moves, such as the spin. After we get the sleep off, we could go Bombardier and sleep bomb, or we could get really wacky and do a Crit Draw hammer build (or both)! You can Crit Draw into a charge attack, so we could Crit Draw into our level 3 charge, connect the last hit only, and start doing some pretty big damage on a sleeping monster. Couple that with the natural KO a hammer provides and you've got a neat little non-traditional CC build. Is it an optimized build? Not really. Is it fun and different and capable of killing monsters? You bet.

That's the kind of thinking I like to have about the game. I find it keeps things a lot fresher and you can discover some hidden gems that are a lot more powerful than you would have thought (like the Bludgeoner build I went over today). I'm not saying we should all be using Crit Draw Radobaan hammers, but I think some variety goes a long way towards keeping the game fun.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Black Diablos is noted as being a female Diablos in heat.

Teostras are male as well, their female counterparts are Lunastras, curiously absent from the game.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Teostras are male as well, their female counterparts are Lunastras, curiously absent from the game.

The confirmed genders I'm aware of are the Raths, Teo/Luna, Black Diablos, Gammoth (confirmed female by devs), and Mizutsune (confirmed male by devs). Oh and Great Jaggi is male I think, as well as Royal Ludroth if my memory serves.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Yeah, I wish I had crafted a health 3 charm when starting the endgame grind. At the cost of like 3% dps you're guaranteed to never get oneshot.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
All this arguing about Handicraft ignores the fact that the best bang for buck, in terms of theoretical damage:skill point investment is probably Weakness Exploit + Peak Performance + Agitator + Attack 4, but like almost any other "SUPER TOP AWESOME BUILD" it's entirely dependant on your actual skill level to actually get the results you want out of it. If you get hit a lot and can't keep your health topped off or stay on the weak points, your damage will still underperform. As an example, on my end I could run that setup with a bow and crush the poo poo out of Vaal, Bagel, Rolly Bone, Uragaan, or Anja, but if I tried it with any non-Lance melee weapon against, say, Toaster, I would suck rear end with it.

The same holds true for Augments. Sure, Affinity on your Diablos whatever will increase your overall damage, but with the above build there's a strong argument for Regen since you can negate the Affinity penalty with skill and the stacked bonuses from PP vastly outweigh almost every other damage + affinity skill because it's 3 points to match basically everything else. You can cheese/extend its viability with the Vitality mantle, but ultimately staying at full health is the most important factor to doing damage.

That said, Heroics would actually outdamage PP, but again, you have to have the skill to be able to clown on monsters with almost no health and not die.

tl;dr: git gud and just make whatever the gently caress you want which synergizes best with your (probably lovely) playstyle.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Seriously, why are 75% of the weapons in this game spammy garbage?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
run around spam Gunlance with no skill

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

AttackBacon posted:

Yes, Handicraft+Speed Sharpener is ideal, but now you are bringing Handicraft into it. Handicraft is a large commitment, you are giving up either your charm slot, using extremely rare level 3 decorations, giving up a minimum of two armor slots, or some combination of all of that. The Diablos weapons require Handicraft 4 to get the smallest sliver of white. And unless you are proposing to sharpen every 10 hits (the amount of white Handicraft 4 gets you on the Diablos weapons), you need Protective Polish as well. So now we've got Handicraft 4, Speed Sharpening 1-3, and Protective Polish. Is all of that a damage increase? Absolutely. Is it an increase over the skills you are giving up, rather than simply using Bludgeoner and none of the aforementioned skills? Much more debateable.

You just get enough handicraft to turn white and then use protective polish. Or speed sharpening 3 and sharpen while you’re in a monster crotch. There’s no reason to have all 3. You don’t lose the game if you hit a monster with blue sharpness.

Or if you do make a 100% crit build with the Teostra set bonus. That seems like heaven.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Hooooly poo poo. I've started trying to use the wall run moves since I've been ignoring them and, uh...did you know that if you start from the wing and go towards the body you can do like, 2-300 damage per jump on Nergigante using a Sword and Shield?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Oberst posted:

Seriously, why are 75% of the weapons in this game spammy garbage?

They aren't?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
My friends popsock MHW, but I’m a filthy casual. As we have all just crossed into HR they are putting together tons of upgraded HR sets. I’ll probably only be upgrading one set highly.

Can anyone suggest a combo of HR armor (or a set) that is flexible to use between different weapons?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I used the Odogaron chest, arms, belt and boots with the dragonking eyepatch for a good long while. You get the two set bonuses Punishing Draw and Protective polish, and some stat boosts I think.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Fuzz posted:

Weakness Exploit + Peak Performance + Agitator + Attack 4,

I've been running this on more and more weapons and pairing it with the health augment where I have the streamstones to do so.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Oberst posted:

run around spam Gunlance with no skill

Except you can't 'spam' gunlance 'with no skill'

Probably pressing circle all the time like a retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Beans posted:

My friends popsock MHW, but I’m a filthy casual. As we have all just crossed into HR they are putting together tons of upgraded HR sets. I’ll probably only be upgrading one set highly.

Can anyone suggest a combo of HR armor (or a set) that is flexible to use between different weapons?

Here's my "skills useful for all occasions" set: