Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ugh the prequels are bad but they're now Cowboys and Aliens bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I blame Cowboys and Aliens on those hacks, Orci and Kurtzman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

But this is a Star Wars thread, not an MCU one. And being a Star Wars fan and thinking the Disney Star Wars are trash are not mutually exclusive.

Yea I lost track of what thread I was reading, my mistake.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Favreau moving to tv at this point seems like an odd move. I wonder how involved he's actually gonna be. Is he really interested in spending years running a tv show? I suppose this could be a Pete Berg/FNL situation, or maybe like Scorsese/Boardwalk Empire.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hansen85 posted:

Favreau moving to tv at this point seems like an odd move. I wonder how involved he's actually gonna be. Is he really interested in spending years running a tv show? I suppose this could be a Pete Berg/FNL situation, or maybe like Scorsese/Boardwalk Empire.

It'll be a streaming service show like the ones on Netflix and Hulu, so probably 8-10 episodes a season, and taking as much time off in between seasons as you want (like how West World will be airing in even numbered years). He can play around with long arcs inside a universe he loves with the kind of budget Disney/Lucasfilm offers, while taking occasional time off to make smaller more personal movies like Chef. Makes perfect sense to me.

He'll probably be getting bored of making "live action" adaptations of Disney movies by the time this gets started anyway, since he's making The Lion King now. (Which is why I used quotation marks on "live action". Like, that's just a computer animated movie, right? There are no humans in that movie.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I bet the streaming service will be the Disney streaming service. A hunch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I bet the streaming service will be the Disney streaming service. A hunch.

Probably a good hunch, they're going to want a major service selling attention grabber when they roll it out. A new exclusive, live action Star Wars series would definitely fit the bill.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The article flat out states it.

quote:

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau has signed on to executive produce and write a live-action Star Wars series for Disney’s new direct-to-consumer platform.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/971843940369379328
I'm glad Mark has his priorities straight

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Mark Hamill victory lap of 2017-2018 has been a delight

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Doesn't Disney own Hulu? Why make a separate streaming service and divide your userbase?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrJacobs posted:

Doesn't Disney own Hulu? Why make a separate streaming service and divide your userbase?

You can charge users twice to sign up to both of them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MrJacobs posted:

Once the Fox sale goes through they'll own a 60% stake in it. Current speculation is that their own streaming service will be primarily for Disney branded content.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Aww, George and Harrison were there.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

SolarFire2 posted:

They should have saved Lord and Miller for the Boba Fett movie, wherein Boba is revealed as an incompetent buffoon who lucks his way into each bounty. He didn't intend to park in the garbage bay, it was just the only place they could fit his ship.

Actually, the toilet in Slave 1 was backed up so he parked back there so he could piss out the airlock with nobody seeing. Then the Falcon flew by and he went, "Oh poo poo!" and hurried after it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/971925641707773952

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Chewbacca didn't get a medal and isn't invited to the ceremony because he's sub-human filth! He can never catch a break. :(

(Is Peter Mayhew still alive? I know he's old as gently caress and don't move so good no more.)

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 9, 2018

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

George Lucas don't give no fucks about Hamil getting a star on the walk of fame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ZmHBi4qeM

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yaws posted:

George Lucas don't give no fucks about Hamil getting a star on the walk of fame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ZmHBi4qeM

Jesus Christ, these people are the worst. "Do you have any advice for Ron Howard?" Sure, and you're the conduit for that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah had the same thought.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Played "My Sweet Sith Lord" after the ceremony.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thrawn527 posted:

Played "My Sweet Sith Lord" after the ceremony.

:golfclap:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Encore was "While My Death Star Gently Weeps".

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Something (In the way Sith moves)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Unfortunately, "I Got My Blaster Set On Stun" is bit too Star Trek.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Unfortunately, "I Got My Blaster Set On Stun" is bit too Star Trek.

I'll follow the twin suns?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Human supremacist" is a fan theory. It's an after-the-fact explanation to try to cover for the fact that the Empire is hollow.

This is the most hilarious post I've read so far. There are comments in the original novel about the Empire being human centric and you claim it's "Fan theory" made up after the fact, then as proof the Empire isn't anti alien you offer the (unique) example of an alien commamder (that is constantly refered to as an oddity) who was introduced 20 years after the first movie was released.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

504 posted:

This is the most hilarious post I've read so far. There are comments in the original novel about the Empire being human centric and you claim it's "Fan theory" made up after the fact,

This is how it's used by fans. Even now you're referencing supplementary materials.

504 posted:

then as proof the Empire isn't anti alien you offer the (unique) example of an alien commamder (that is constantly refered to as an oddity) who was introduced 20 years after the first movie was released.

You seem to be very confused, The examples I used are Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, and the Emperor, who are all portrayed as alien. Even the First Order is led by an alien.

The actual "human supremacism" in Star Wars is directed at droids, who are not recognized as human. This makes the good guys as "human supremacist" as the baddies.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

This is how it's used by fans. Even now you're referencing supplementary materials.

You seem to be very confused, The examples I used are Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, and the Emperor, who are all portrayed as alien. Even the First Order is led by an alien.

The actual "human supremacism" in Star Wars is directed at droids, who are not recognized as human. This makes the good guys as "human supremacist" as the baddies.

Well, you are the expert on being deeply confused.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The characters you speak of are inhuman, not alien. Dehumanized or disfigured, they are nevertheless at minimum formerly human. I observe that, in the films, the characters who are aliens are not part of the Empire. I think that this observation is meaningful, and if you think that the way I have interpreted this (the Empire is a power structure which tends to privilege humans and formerly-human cyborgs and wizards over aliens and formerly-alien cyborgs and wizards) is incorrect, I'd like to hear what you think it means instead.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

The characters you speak of are inhuman, not alien. Dehumanized or disfigured, they are nevertheless at minimum formerly human. I observe that, in the films, the characters who are aliens are not part of the Empire. I think that this observation is meaningful, and if you think that the way I have interpreted this (the Empire is a power structure which tends to privilege humans and formerly-human cyborgs and wizards over aliens and formerly-alien cyborgs and wizards) is incorrect, I'd like to hear what you think it means instead.

What's remarkable is that "human" and "alien" are not opposites. All the human characters in Star Wars are alien by multiple definitions of the word (OED):

- belonging to a foreign country: an alien culture.
- unfamiliar and disturbing or distasteful
- upposedly from another world; extraterrestrial

- a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where he or she is living: an enemy alien.
- a hypothetical or fictional being from another world.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

WEBSTERS DICTIONARY DEFINES ALIEN AS

we see stormtroopers boss around aliens on tatooine and kill an entire jawa trading company just to cover up their war crimes murder of some farmers. they are disgusted by Vader's usage of bounty hunters, who are depicted as majority alien & droid. They are racist to chewie on the death star.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

You brought up Thrawn. You brought him up as evidence the empire wasn't anti alien.

And again. Anti alien has been in SW since the original movie and novel.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

504 posted:

You brought up Thrawn. You brought him up as evidence the empire wasn't anti alien..

I never mentioned him. You're confusing me with another poster.

Jerkface posted:

we see stormtroopers boss around aliens on tatooine and kill an entire jawa trading company just to cover up their war crimes murder of some farmers. they are disgusted by Vader's usage of bounty hunters, who are depicted as majority alien & droid. They are racist to chewie on the death star.

The Imperials are all aliens and are led by inhuman beings.

The truth is that the Empire is not motivated by hatred towards the Other. They are motivated by statism.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
statism and hatred towards the Other are inextricably linked

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ungulateman posted:

statism and hatred towards the Other are inextricably linked

Are you sure you're not confusing statism with racism?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Statism isn't a real thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
When the Imperial military brass finds out that the Senate has been permanently dissolved, they're not happy. They're surprised, and even worried.

quote:

Dude with no doubt extensive Wookiepedia article: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

And when we have the added context that the Senate is a multispecies assembly of people across the galaxy, it doesn't any sense for "human supremacists" to talk like this. The officer is afraid that the Rebellion will keep gaining support in the Senate, and is shocked that the Emperor would go as far as to abolish it. So even a top enforcer of "human supremacism" is expecting to rule alongside a bunch of aliens in perpetuity.

There's a room full of human supremacists, and no one seems glad about "aliens" being finally ousted form power. Even the smug guy is just happy about the Death Star.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We know what the Senate looked like in the prequels. We don't know what it looked like 20 years after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

We know what the Senate looked like in the prequels. We don't know what it looked like 20 years after that.

We know what it was like: the Rebels were gaining support in the Imperial Senate. There were enough Rebel sympathizers and potential sympathizers that the Emperor outright dissolved it, and by extension the pre-Imperial bureaucracy.

It's generally not mentioned that this is also pretty good characterization for the Rebels: they had common ground with the Empire's civilian leadership.